Saturday, April 04, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1514

Dear Readers,

first of all I wish you HAPPY EASTER!
Did you get some nice gifts? We bought our gift last Tuesday and I will tell a little bit about it in this post.
Rain and grey sky is like an invitation to play and to read.
On 7th of April I will have the pleasure to present you a guest post by author and friend of the blog 
Alex J. Cavanaugh. It is related to the release of his first stand-alone science fiction story Dragon of the Stars (7th April 2015)  [Kindle ASIN: B00S0DPUYU] which I reviewed recently.

his one of three posts you will get from today on in consecutive order. Tomorrow I will present you a guest post by author Timothy S. Johnston and on Monday you will get the review of his new book The Void (digital, 30th March 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00N0MYHBI].
I'm happy that from time time to offer you more than just my weekly post.



ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Noose and knots
  2. Tattoos in Victorian era
  3. Tower house

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Easter gift

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to everywhere
The Lighthouse
I'm that I could finish two more books and two start two new books. During the next days I will split my available time between reading and playing video games.



I finished

- 356 pages in Hearts of Darkness (pb, February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0749015329] by Paul Lawrence.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" This was a tough read.
England in the year 1666.
Lytle and Dowling on a desperate mission. Who would enter voluntarily a village where the Black Death raged.
Do you know what happened in London in the year 1666? Yes, this event plays a certain role.
Like in the previous books the story is full of twist and turns.
It has been a bloody and violent time and the story reflect this very well.
Without giving away too much I can tell you that at least for me the end was heartbreaking.
"



- The Ministry of Thunder (digital, December 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00R1XANYW; Acheron Books] by Davide Mana.

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The delivered exactly what has been promised:

An explosive mix of Oriental Fantasy and New Pulp!

It was a hell of a ride and reminded me of Indiana Jones. But aircraft mechanic Felice Sabatini is far beyond to be a copy of Indiana Jones.
I really like his humor and how he handles critical situations and to be honest the book is full of such moments.
Oriental myths are implemented well.

I hope there will be more books starring Felice Sabatini soon."



I'm

- 63 pages in The Mechanical (digital and pb, March 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00JV1W61K; ISBN-13: 978-0356502328] by Ian Tregillis which is the first book in the Alchemy Wars Trilogy



No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.



 Enjoy your weekend ....


Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.
New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


This week I received just one paperback which I ordered in 2014.
The Diamond Conspiracy (digital and pb 2015) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00LMGM08GISBN-13: 978-0425267325] by  Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris  is the fourth The Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences novel. I like this Steampunk series a lot and I look forward to follow Miss Brown and Mr. Brooks after crossing the Atlantic in book three .......
"For years, the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences has enjoyed the favor of Her Majesty the Queen. But even the oldest loyalties can turn in a moment…

Having narrowly escaped the electrifying machinations of Thomas Edison, Books and Braun are looking forward to a relaxing and possibly romantic voyage home. But when Braun’s emergency signal goes off, all thoughts of recreation vanish. Braun’s street-wise team of child informants, the Ministry Seven, is in grave peril, and Books and Braun must return to England immediately.

But when the intrepid agents finally arrive in London, the situation is even more dire than they imagined. The Ministry has been disavowed, and the Department of Imperial Inconveniences has been called in to decommission its agents in a most deadly fashion. The plan reeks of the Maestro’s dastardly scheming. Only, this time, he has a dangerous new ally—a duplicitous doctor whose pernicious poisons have infected the highest levels of society, reaching even the Queen herself..." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......


Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Noose and knots
You the the use of noose quite often in wild west movies. The noose is also not unknown in fantasy and historical fiction. It is the knot which makes the difference. There is a quite interesting post about noose and knots over at Anna Castle's blog:




Tattoos in Victorian era
There is an enlightening post about tattoos in Victorian era over at The History Girls which I recommend to read in case you are interest in the topic:




Tower house
There are pictures of an extraordinary tower house available at the WebUrbanist:

Dr. Seuss Tower House: Storybook Structure Grew with the Trees



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

No film trailer today. Instead I talk about our Easter gift.
My wife and I belong to the people who buy things when we can afford it. One year ago we decided that we want to get a PlaySation 4 (PS4). We both like video games and there are some really interesting games for us in the pipeline. We did not have the money at that time and therefore we started to save money. It took until end of March. Finally we bought a PS4 on 31st April 2015! But what is a video game console without games. We did not want to wait until 19th of May 2015, which is the release date of  The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt. As fans of role playing games we decided to give Dragon Age: Inquisition to give a try.
I must say after playing around ten hours  must say it is more behind the game than I first expected. It is definitely for people like me who like to hunt and gather things.
Following video review shows what you can expect.

Even I like playing video games a lot it Leeds always to the emotional question: reading or gaming?
I listened to the Dragon Age: Inquisition soundtrack while I wrote this post.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Is there anyone who does not know conversation which include presentation of place where we would like to go to? I found quote which fits perfectly to such conversions ...................


"Everywhere is walking distance if you have the time.

Steven Wright,, US comedian and actor, 1955 -

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Looking forward to Tuesday!
That Dr. Seuss tower house was incredible. At first, it didn't look real. But someone really built it.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Happy Easter, hope you had a good one.
Winter is coming. LOL. Well, it is for us. Though not as severe as in Game of Thrones.

Tine to play games or read... either would be good. :)

Keep up the good work.
Your reviews and info are terrific.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
sorry for the late reply.
At least Tuesday went well.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
thank you. Easter has been a good one.
My wife and I started to play a fantasy video game and had a lot of fun.

Hope you have had a good one too.

Thank you for your kind words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...