Saturday, March 07, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1510

Dear Readers,

I really tried my best but I could finish only one book last week. against all odds I wrote and posted and two reviews and read five books in February. One always want more but I'm so happy about it because it says that I used my spare time properly.
Not to forget the joy I felt when posted the reviews and read the books.
In the first two months of 2015 I wrote and posted more reviews than in whole 2014!
That means I'm on a good way.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress 
  2. First review sighted
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A countdown book deal
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. "If women don't count, neither shall they be counted."
  2. Unconstructed
  3. 1000 Subs Giveaway

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sherlock Holmes

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to creativity

The Lighthouse
Last week I finished a surprisingly good debut novel, continued to read two books and started a new one. Now I have the pleasure to read science fiction, epic fantasy and historical mystery.

I finished

The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: 
B00LUJD700] by Becky Chambers.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I'm really, really, really impressed.
How can it be that a science fiction story with such a minimum of action.
Excellent story and great characters.
I love the mix of different alien life forms and it is good that humans do not dominate."



I'm

- 145 pages in Hearts of Darkness (pb, February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0749015329] by Paul Lawrence.
A nightmarish atmosphere. It is a travel into a lethal part of England. .

- 74 pages in The Shard (digital, 1st of May 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00U8UQVGY] by Ted Cross.
The author has been so kind as to send me an ARC of his forthcoming epic fantasy novel.
So far I liked what I read. You may understand that I can't deliver any details now.
But I can tell you that I will write a review about it. 
There are news about The Shard which I will share in the book section.

- 57 pages The Void (digital, 30th March 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00N0MYHBI] by Timothy S. Johnston.
This is the third book in the series The Tanner Sequence.

The prologue is bloody and hits the reader like a fist. The author has been so kind to give the reader a slight rest before the feeling of unease starts creeping up the reader's spine .......

No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

The last week I bought digital copy and two paperbacks..

There are books which stay for a long time on my to buy list - mostly because I wait for a good offer. Today I bought exactly one of these books before I started to write this post. I talk about Murder as a Fine Art (digital, May 2013) [Kindle edition ASIN:  B00AJP2CG6] by David Morrell.
"Thomas De Quincey, infamous for his memoir Confessions of an English Opium-Eater, is the major suspect in a series of ferocious mass murders identical to ones that terrorized London forty-three years earlier.

The blueprint for the killings seems to be De Quincey's essay "On Murder Considered as One of the Fine Arts." Desperate to clear his name but crippled by opium addiction, De Quincey is aided by his devoted daughter Emily and a pair of determined Scotland Yard detectives.

In Murder as a Fine Art, David Morrell plucks De Quincey, Victorian London, and the Ratcliffe Highway murders from history. Fogbound streets become a battleground between a literary star and a brilliant murderer, whose lives are linked by secrets long buried but never forgotten." [Source]
I love to read about Victorian London and that book sounds promising to me.


A paperback like a brick - 1310 pages! That is what I received in the middle of last week. I talk about the second book in which is Words of Radiance (mmpb, 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0765365286] by Brandon Sanderson. I own a copy of the first book in the series but I did not read it so far. A quick calculation based on my average reading speed showed that I will need around 68 hours to read both  books. Even I could spend eight hours per day for reading it would take me eight and a half days to read these two books!
"Having met the challenge of a posthumous collaboration with the great Robert Jordan to complete his classic, bestselling fantasy series The Wheel of Time® with three #1 New York Times bestsellers in a row, Brandon Sanderson is at last free to return to the decade-spanning task of creating his own multi-volume epic, one that he hopes will make a comparable mark on the field. That epic is The Stormlight Archive and it began in 2010 with Tor’s longest, most elaborately embellished novel ever, The Way of Kings.
In that first volume, we were introduced to the remarkable world of Roshar, a world both alien and magical, where gigantic hurricane-like storms scour the surface every few days and life has adapted accordingly. Roshar is shared by humans and the enigmatic, humanoid Parshendi, with whom they are at war. Among those caught up in the conflict are Brightlord Dalinar Kholin, who leads the human armies; his sister Jasnah, a renowned scholar; her student Shallan, a brilliant but troubled young woman; and Kaladin, a military slave who, by the book’s end, had become the first magically endowed Knight Radiant in centuries.

In Words of Radiance their intertwined stories will continue and, as Sanderson fans have come to expect, develop in unexpected, wonderfully surprising directions. The war with the Parshendi will move into a new, dangerous phase, as Dalinar leads the human armies deep into the heart of the Shattered Plains in a bold attempt to finally end it. Shallan will come along, hoping to find the legendary, perhaps mythical, city of Urithuru, which Jasnah believes holds a secret vital to mankind’s survival on Roshar. The Parshendi take a dangerous step to strengthen themselves for the human challenge, risking the return of the fearsome Voidbringers of old. To deal with it all, Kaladin must learn to how to fulfill his new role as leader of the restored Knights Radiant, while mastering the powers of a Windrunner.

With this second book, the Stormlight Archive grows even more richly immersive and compelling. Sanderson’s fans, old and new, are likely to lift it at least as high on the bestseller lists as its predecessor." [Source]

It was the description which convinced me to buy a paperback copy of The Buried Life (pb, March 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0857665218] by Carrie Patel.
"The gaslight and shadows of the underground city of Recoletta hide secrets and lies. When Inspector Liesl Malone investigates the murder of a renowned historian, she finds herself stonewalled by the all-powerful Directorate of Preservation – Recoletta’s top-secret historical research facility.

When a second high-profile murder threatens the very fabric of city society, Malone and her rookie partner Rafe Sundar must tread carefully, lest they fall victim to not only the criminals they seek, but the government which purports to protect them. Knowledge is power, and power must be preserved at all costs…" [Source]
This is the first book in a series which will be continued with Cities and Thrones (pb, July) [ISBN-13: 0857665539] in July 2015.


And now I come back to The Shard (digital, 1st of May 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00U8UQVGY] by Ted Cross.
"A dying king. A mysterious invader. The seer's vision was clear: find the lost shard from the Spire of Peace or the realm would drown in blood.

The problem: eight hundred years ago the elven hero Kathkalan took the shard with him into the lair of the most vicious dragon ever known to mankind...and he never returned.

Reluctantly drafted to lead the quest is the minor noble Midas, torn between his duty to the realm and the desire to protect his sons. With an unlikely band of heroes, including two elderly rangers and a young tinker's son, Midas must risk losing everything he loves if he is to locate the shard and save the Known Lands." [Source]

On 22nd of February 2015 I reviewed The Immortality Game  (digital November 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00PGW5YZ8] by Ted Cross.
Unbelievable but true there is a connection between the two books. For details please read following post: Publication of Epic Fantasy Novel

The good thing is that The Shard (digital, 1st of May 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00U8UQVGY] by Ted Cross is now available for pre-order!
In exchange for the review copy I will review The Shard .



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



"If women don't count, neither shall they be counted."
104 years ago which means in 1911. Back in England tens of thousands of women decided to boycott the census. There is an informative post available over at the  English Historical Fiction Authors:





Unconstructed
Not every plan will be put into practice. But it is most interesting to see the visions of famous architects which you can see over at the WebUrbanist

Unconstructed: 25 Visionary Works by World-Famous Architects




1000 Subs Giveaway
What does this mean? I think the following video is self-explanatory:






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I must say that after reading books like Sherlock Holmes: The Spirit Box (June 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781160022] by George Mann, Sherlock Holmes: Gods of War (June 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781165430] by James Lovegrove and others it was a question of time until a movie will show the aged detective.

For me Sir Ian McKellen is an excellent choice and I look forward to see more about the movie.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Following quote is true and many many people feel demotivated by it ...................


"In the modern world of business, it is useless to be a creative original thinker unless you can also sell what you create. Management cannot be expected to recognize a good idea unless it is presented to them by a good salesman.

David M. Ogilvy, Business man, 1911 - 1999

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's wild that reviewer gets so many duplicate books.
Glad you found Ted's latest!

Ted Cross said...

Thank you for reading my books and giving them some attention!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
it is nothing extraordinary that reviewer get duplicate books. It happens when you are part of different mailing lists.

Ted is a great guy. We exchanged several mails and I like his books.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Ted,

I#m really glad that I discovered "The Immortality Game" and that I got the opportunity to read "The Shard" before publishing date.

As I like your books a lot, the least I can do is to spread word about your books.

Rosalie Skinner said...

The Shard sounds great.
I am waiting patiently for Sherlock Holmes.. I think Sir Ian will be a great Sherlock.
Congrats on all the reviews.
I am having trouble believing we are already well into March. Time is going so fast.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rosalie,
sorry for the delay in my answer.

I really like "The Shard". Now I'm halway through and look forward to see how the story continues. I have s guess ...

I can't deny the impression that time pass faster the older one gets.

Have a great time.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...