Saturday, March 14, 2015

Edi's Book Lighthouse Issue #1511

Dear Readers,

the weather is still an up and down. I try to stay healthy which is not that easy when you are surrounded by sneezing and coughing colleagues.
In two weeks time Europe will switch to CEST (Central European Summer Time) which means we have to move the clock one hour forward.
To be honest I hate it because it takes some time until I get accustomed to it. I remember the summer time has been introduced in order to save energy but the result was not as expected. But nowadays no one in the EU is willing to spend time and energy to remove the decision even politicians know that to get rid of the daylight saving would be useful .......

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Publication Lesson Learned
  2. Pi Day
  3. Tiny Ring Box Art 
  4. Beauty Training

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Peaky Blinders

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to time

The Lighthouse
It is rare that I'm halfway through to three books at the same time. Last week I finished a surprisingly good debut novel, continued to read two books and started a new one. Now I have the pleasure to read science fiction, epic fantasy and historical mystery.

I finished

no book



I'm

- 204 pages in Hearts of Darkness (pb, February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0749015329] by Paul Lawrence.
Halfway through. The nightmarish atmosphere continues. Who will survive?

- 202 pages in The Shard (digital, 1st of May 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00U8UQVGY] by Ted Cross.
Halfway through. Good stuff.


- 164 pages The Void (digital, 30th March 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00N0MYHBI] by Timothy S. Johnston.
Halfway through. The tension is rising.

No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

The last week I received a digital copy which I ordered in advance.

I highly appreciated the Milkweed Tryptich trilogy by Ian Tregillis which was an extraordinary good series which I enjoyed a lot. If you did not read it, I can tell you that I highly recommend it.
I looked forward to get a copy of The Mechanical (digital and pb, March 2015) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00JV1W61K; ISBN-13: 978-0356502328] which is the first book in the Alchemy Wars Trilogy. On 10th of March my digital copy arrived.
The mix of mechanic and alchemy sounds exiting and after the Milkweed Tryptich trilogy I have high expectations.
"My name is Jax.

That is the name granted to be by my human masters.

I am a clakker: a mechanical man, powered by alchemy. Armies of my kind have conquered the world - and made the Brasswork Throne the sole superpower.

I am a faithful servant. I am the ultimate fighting machine. I am endowed with great strength and boundless stamina.

But I am beholden to the wishes of my human masters.

I am a slave. But I shall be free." [Source]





On 22nd of February 2015 I reviewed The Immortality Game  (digital November 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00PGW5YZ8] by Ted Cross.
Unbelievable but true there is a connection between the two books. For details please read following post: Publication of Epic Fantasy Novel

The good thing is that The Shard (digital, 1st of May 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00U8UQVGY] by Ted Cross is now available for pre-order!
In exchange for the review copy I will review The Shard .



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Publication Lesson Learned
This is the title of a post by author Ted Cross.
I'm reading his book The Shard (digital, 1st of May 2015 16th March 2015; pb 11th March 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00U8UQVGY; ISBN-13: 978-0990987734].
I stay in contact with Ted Cross and I promised him a review on publishing day which was set to 1st of May 2015. But that changed on 11th of March. for details please read the following post:


As you could read above, I'm just halfway through the book. So I informed Ted Cross that it is impossible for me to read the book and write the review till 16th March and he understood.
Anyway you can by the paperback now and from Monday on the digital edition is available too.
And this is the cover and the description of the book.:

"A dying king. A mysterious invader. The seer's vision was clear: find the lost shard from the Spire of Peace or the realm would drown in blood.

The problem: eight hundred years ago the elven hero Kathkalan took the shard with him into the lair of the most vicious dragon ever known to mankind...and he never returned.

Reluctantly drafted to lead the quest is the minor noble Midas, torn between his duty to the realm and the desire to protect his sons. With an unlikely band of heroes, including two elderly rangers and a young tinker's son, Midas must risk losing everything he loves if he is to locate the shard and save the Known Lands." [Source]
A good story with interesting characters and when you are looking for elves, dwarves, dragons and more then .........




Pi Day
First I saw following post by G.D. Falksen.

Then I wanted to know more about and found following entry over at  Wikipedia:




Tiny Ring Box Art
I think you must be very patient and highly concentrated in order to get results like shown in the following post over at the WebUrbanist

Put a Miniature Diorama On It: Amazing Tiny Ring Box Art




Beauty Training
In case you think this is something from the 20th century then I must disappoint you. There is an enlightening post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:
 
Improving upon Nature: Beauty Training in the Regency Era



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

On Thursday evening I watched the first two episodes of the BBC TV series Peaky Blinders.
I must say even the settings looks good I will not continue watching the series. The reason is quite simple. There was not a single character (good or bad) I could connect to. But I love the them song Red Right Hand which appeared first on 1994 album Let Love In by Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds.
This is the trailer

This is the song


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Time is a tricky thing ...................


"Time is that quality of nature which keeps events from happening all at once. Lately it doesn't seem to be working.

Anonymous

4 comments:

Ted Cross said...

I keep seeing a lot of Vincent Trilili's books around the blogosphere, so I may need to check one out someday. Thanks again for your kindness with my books!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Ted,

from my point of view you write excellent books and therefore I spread word about your books.
It is a simple calcultation. The more people buy and read your books the higher the probability you write more.

The books by Ian Tregillis are worth a try.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I never set the analouge clocks to CEWT. I'm lazy and I know I'll to set them back at spring. However it won't be easy to get up earlier...

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Someone really had patience to do those ring box art pieces. Very impressive.
Cool you are enjoying Ted's book.
And we fell forward for Daylight Savings Time last weekend. I hate losing that hour of sleep.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...