Saturday, February 28, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave Issue #1509

Dear Readers,

against all odds I wrote and posted and two reviews and read five books in February. One always want more but I'm so happy about it because it says that I used my spare time properly.
Not to forget the joy I felt when posted the reviews and read the books.
In the first two months of 2015 I wrote and posted more reviews than in whole 2014!
That means I'm on a good way.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
  2. First review sighted
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A countdown book deal
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Clowns
  2. Illusions
  3. Executioner
  4. Superheroes

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. In Memoriam: Leonard Nimoy

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to body

The Lighthouse
Yay! I finished to more books and started to read two new books.

I finished

- The Return of the Discontinued Man (pb, 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-1616149055] by Mark Hodder
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I'm totally biased when comes to the Burton & Swinburne series which I love since I read the first book.

The Return of the Discontinued Man contain a lot of time travel. You have to take care not to get lost.
Beside that it is a great steampunk adventure full of action, emotion and thoughtful moments.
The view into a possible future gave me the creeps and I felt very sad about the persons who died.

Nevertheless I'm totally eager to read book six "The Rise of the Automated Aristocrats", expected to be published in August 2015."

- The Eterna Files (hc, February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0765336743] by Leanna Renee Hieber.
I wrote on GOODREADS
"I received a review copy of the book.

The description sounded promising and I like the Victorian era. Furthermore I know that a lot of Victorians has been interested in supernatural stuff and to get in contact with deceased was nothing extraordinary.

Full of hope I started reading.
Around page 109 I wrote: I like it more then the average rating express.

But that changed.

The story started to meander and sometimes I felt lost and was not sure if I missed something or it has not been there.

The ending was disappointing. For me it was like the story has been cut in the middle.

In the end I'm a bit disappointed and I can't give more than three stars."


I'm

- 47 pages in Hearts of Darkness (pb, February 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-0749015329] by Paul Lawrence.
After a long time I meet Harry Lytle and Dowling again.

- 68 pages in The Shard (tentative publishing date is May 1) by Ted Cross.
The author has been so kind as to send me an ARC of his forthcoming epic fantasy novel.
So far I liked what I read. You may understand that I can't deliver any details now.
But I can tell you that I will write a review about it. 



No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

The last week I bought just one digital copy.


An average rating of 4.32 of 5 stars is quite good for a science fiction debut novel. I read some reviews which praise the book. Furthermore the description sounded interesting enough for me to get a digital copy of The Long Way to a Small, Angry Planet (digital, February 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: 
B00LUJD700] by Becky Chambers.
"Somewhere within our crowded sky, a crew of wormhole builders hops from planet to planet, on their way to the job of a lifetime. To the galaxy at large, humanity is a minor species, and one patched-up construction vessel is a mere speck on the starchart. This is an everyday sort of ship, just trying to get from here to there.

But all voyages leave their mark, and even the most ordinary of people have stories worth telling. A young Martian woman, hoping the vastness of space will put some distance between herself and the life she‘s left behind. An alien pilot, navigating life without her own kind. A pacifist captain, awaiting the return of a loved one at war.

Set against a backdrop of curious cultures and distant worlds, this episodic tale weaves together the adventures of nine eclectic characters, each on a journey of their own." [Source]



A countdown book deal
On January 4th, 2015, I posted my review of Death by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by Anna Castle which is the second book in her new Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series.  

In case you are interested in to buy a digital copy You should read following information which I got from  Anna Castle's blog:
Death by Disputation will be on sale this coming week at Amazon.
This is book 2 in the Francis Bacon series. (See the blurb and sample.)

It’s a Kindle Countdown deal; you’re rewarded for acting quickly. It should be called a CountUP because we start with the 80% discount and step up about 20% every 40 hours. Wacky, yes? But such is modern enterprise.
Here’s the schedule:
Sat, Feb 28        8:00 am         40 hr                $0.99   80% off
Mar. 2              12:00 am         40 hr                $1.99   61%
Mar. 3                4:00 pm         40 hr                $2.99   41%
Mar. 5                8:00 am         40 hr                $3.99   21%
Mar. 7              12:00 pm         40 hr                $4.99   regular price
Get it while it’s hot! If you prefer paper, that’s available at CreateSpace and at Amazon. If you buy it an Amazon, you get the ebook for free. A shelf copy and a walking around copy; the best of both worlds.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Clowns
It seems they are rare today. Did you know that there have been full time street clowns in Victorian London? Read more about clowns in Victorian London over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:





Illusions
I love illusions. Have a look at the awesome pictures over at the WebUrbanist and you may understand why.

Radically Surreal: A Strange World of Mind-Bending Illusions




Executioner
Nearly three hundred years ago an executioner has been executed. Read more about it over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:





Superheroes
We see them most of the time when they are in action. But what happens the rest of the time. Do they have a secret live? The WebUrbanist revealed:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

In Memoriam Leonard Nimoy 1931 - 2015

Live Long and Prosper: The Jewish Story Behind Spock, Leonard Nimoy's Star Trek Character


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Sometimes I run out of words. Fortunately we have a body we can use to express ourselves. But body language is not always unambiguous. Especially men struggle when it comes to female body language ...............


"Women speak two languages, quoth the Bard, one of which is verbal. The other I did not understand.

Paul Lawrence, The Hearts of Darkness, page 40, paperback edition

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Such a shock that Nimoy is gone. The inner geek in me died a little on Friday when I heard the news.
The Long Way sounds like my kind of read.
And awesome you are ahead of reviews this year! Keep at it.

ediFanoB said...

Alex, I must admit that I started to read The Long Way and after 90 pages I would say it is a book for you. I'm sure that there will be readers saying, that it stats slowly.

I think you may understand how happy I am to get reviews done beside all the stress.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...