Sunday, February 01, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1505

Dear Readers,

all went well ( reading, reviewing and blog wise) till end of Tuesday. Then all my plans went down the drain. Unexpected long working days and on Thursday evening my daughter told that the hard disk in her PC crashed. So we tried to rescue data on Thursday and Friday evening. She bought a new hard disk on Friday. I spent most of Saturday to replace the hard disk and to set up the system.

That is the reason for the delay of this issue of the Edi's Weekend Wave and is also the reason why I had to postpone the review of The Immortality Game  (digital November 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00PGW5YZ8] by Ted Cross.
Furthermore I will not have time to do anything for the blog next week as I will be on a business trip to Italy which limited Internet access and less spare time.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Learning on the job
  2. 2014 Locus Recommended Reading List
  3. Cambridge in the 16th Century

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Surprising ad

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to tasks

The Lighthouse
I was on a good way to read ten books in January. But unfortunately my time for reading  got limited in the past four days. So I ended up with nine books. Beside that I was more than happy that I delivered three reviews in the first month of 2015.




I finished

- my unproofed paperback review copy of  Dragon of the Stars (7th April 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1939844067] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Author Alex J. Cavanaugh has been so kind to send me an unproofed review copy.
I can't tell you much because I have an agreement with the author to post my review on 1st of March 2015.
So far I can tell you that I really enjoyed the book."


I'm

- 47 pages in A Humble Heart (2013) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00C5S4AJW] by Tim Vander Meulen which is the first book in the Dark World series.
The third chapter introduced a new character with name Gellerick. He is the most intersting one for me so far. He is a tough guy and an excellent fighter.


No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I downloaded two digital copies for free. The description of books aroused my interest. I think this is a kind of reflex which every book hunter and gatherer knows. You see a book which sounds interesting enough to get copy but not interesting enough to buy a copy immediately.
Therefore I do not add any more comment to these books. Maybe you are interested in.

Crimsonfield (digital, January 2015) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00SNWF8AE] by  J.W. Close (did not find information about the author).
"For hired killer Sparrow, the job seems easy, if unusual: keep watch over an heiress in a backwater town - but all is not as it seems. Suicides are going unexplained. Newspapers are predicting the future.

Dead men walk.

Something evil is stirring in the dark corners of the suburbs, and the laws of physics themselves no longer seem to apply. Small town life is unraveling in a whirlwind of danger, deception and lust, and at the center is the mysterious Mister Stripe: a calculating, ruthless murderer who appears to be able to disappear at will.

Soon Sparrow, along with robotic police officer Six and soldier-turned-deliveryman Gabe, will become embroiled in a struggle which will determine not only their fates, but the fate of the entire town. But the question is, who is more dangerous: their enemies, or their allies?

And in a world where the line between man and machine is blurring, humanity will learn to fear the future.

Crimsonfield is the debut novel from sci-fi author J.W Close, and the first in a series of books exploring humanity, psychology and technology against the backdrop of Earth, 4000AD." [Source]


HAWTHORNE: Chronicles of the Brass Hand: Mystirio Astronomiki (digital, 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00JB1DU9C] by  Christopher C. Meeker. For more information visit the official HAWTHORNE site.
"HAWTHORNE: Chronicles of the Brass Hand is the story of Edgar J. Hawthorne who sets out on a journey in the summer of 1835 to the Royal Observatory at the Cape of Good Hope, South Africa after reading of an incredible discovery in the Edinburgh Journal of Science, submitted by close family friend John Herschel.

Traveling with the Royal Air Brigade on the Stratos, England's newest and most advanced airship, pride of the British fleet, Edgar and the crew are caught unaware and attacked in the early hours of dawn by a flotilla of marauding airships. Outnumbered the Stratos is forced down into the deep jungles of Africa.

With the Stratos disabled and in need of repair Edgar, along with the first officer and a portion of the crew, set out to locate provisions. What Edgar discovers in the jungle, however, convinces him there are other forces involved in the downing of the Stratos. In the attempt to discover the truth behind the attack, Edgar unearths an unbelievable and far-reaching secret.

Finding himself caught up in a conflict that has raged for centuries, Edgar is thrust into a world of which only a handful are aware. With the aid of a mysterious girl and an unlikely ally, Edgar must do the impossible: prevent humanity's extinction." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Learning on the job
If you think this is an invention of the 20th century the I must disappoint you.Read the following post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors and read




2014 Locus Recommended Reading List
I read 75 books in 2014. When I discovered the mentioned reading list I was keen to know how many of the books I read would match the list in the categories science fiction novels and fantasy novels.
I must say I did not expect this result: NONE of the 75 books I read in 2014 were part of the list!
So my taste is a different one. In case you would like to compare the books you read with the list then head over to



Cambridge in the 16th Century
Recently I reviewed Death by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by  Anna Castle which is the second book in her new Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series.
The author likes to share information about the background of her books with her readers. But these posts are also an invitation to new readers. Have a look at



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Sometimes even I like advertisement in form of videos. The following one belongs to this category.
Have a look at Dirt Devil "The Exorcist" and judge on your own:



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I have nothing to add to following quote ...............



"One never notices what has been done; one can only see what remains to be done.

Marie Curie, Letter to her brother, 1894, French chemist & physicist (1867 - 1934)

6 comments:

Ted Cross said...

I'm very sorry to hear about your daughter's hard drive. Technology can be so frustrating! Nine books in one month is still amazing, at least to me. I think I only read three.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Ted,
a hard drive crash is not the end of the world but it is so time consuming. In the end it hindered me to write a review and to finish book number ten.

In fact the number of books does not say anything. It is the number of pages or beter the number of words which give you a real impression.
I'm sure you will agree that it makes a difference if you read nine books with 100 pages each or nine books with 600 pages each.
Due to GOODREADS stat I read 3340 pages. That means an average of 372 pages per book. Secondly the number of pages you read per hour also have an impact. I read an average of 35 pages per hour. That means if I would read 24 hours per day, I would have spent four days to read these books :-)

Now fingers crossed that I find enough time during the next weekend to write the review you are waiting for and to post it on Sunday evening.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Safe travels on your trip.
Glad you enjoyed Dragon! Look forward to hearing your thoughts.
And I bet none of the books I read are on that list either.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Crashing computers, just not fun.
Thank goodness you have the knowledge and skill to help your daughter.

I have been catching up on your posts.
Despite how busy you are you still manage to give in-depth reviews, introduce more titles, and tempt me with books I vow I will read, one day.

Keep up the good work. I now want to curl up and read all day. It has been raining for days here. Great reading weather.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I hope the review will reflect how much I liked your book.

Thanks for wishes. Today was another long day in office. Now I know that there will several exhausting meetings within the trip. The weather forecast promised rain in Rome. I hope we still get the opportunity to walk around a little bit in the evening.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

I read your post about the short story and all the other stuff which will keep you busy.
I can tell you that my daughter was more than happy that I could help her.

January 2015 was a crazy month. So many things happened and I really surprised myself with reaing nine books and writing three reviews. I know it will not happen every months but I'm keen to write more reviews. I makes much more fun than to write endless documentations which nobody will read in te end.

Thank you for your kind words.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...