Sunday, January 18, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1503

Hello and welcome to issue #1503 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
this has been a sad week. On Monday 12th January we had to put down Pablo, our 15 years old tomcat. Our other cat Lily is missing him. She nearly stopped eating and we needed to chaperon her. On Tuesday I went to my root amputation which has been successful.I had to stay home for the rest of the week, avoiding computer, physical activities and talk. Next week Tuesday the doctor will take the stitches out.
I spent a lot of time with an ice pack in my left hand and my reader in my right hand.  Reading was a kind of compensation.

Now I'm in somewhat strange mood which I can't really describe. It seems I should follow the advice given in the quote I share with you today.



ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. What are the Kargrandes?
  2. Amazing, Amazing, Amazing
  3. Intelligence work in the 16th century
  4. Medieval Plants

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. CHAPPiE

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to visit

The Lighthouse
This month is crazy when it comes to reading. I can't remember when I read six books in 16 days and additionally half way through two other books. I do not scrutinize I just enjoy it. I'm sure it will not go on like that. Next week I want to work on reviews.


I finished

- Dead Man's Land (digital, January 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B007JKSHFO] by Robert Ryan.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The first book in the "Dr John Watson" series.
A World War I crime mystery starring Dr John Watson.
Murder in the gruesome trenches of Flanders Field. John Watson face the enemy in front and a killer in the back.

This is an intense story where the aged Dr John Watson shows his detective qualities. Strong characters - male AND female - in their daily fight to survive. You do not read often the name of the famous detective. It is not necessary because you immediately identify the chapters where he appears and I must say there have been passages which touched me deeply."

- The Immortality Game  (digital November 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00PGW5YZ8] by Ted Cross.Last week I told you how I discovered the book. I could not resist and read it.
After slow start - this related to the development not to the pace of the action itself - but then the tension rose and I was hooked till the last page.
There is a full review in progress.

- The Invisible Library (digital, December 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00M44051E] by Genevieve Cogman.
 I was not impressed after finishing the first chapter. But then the story blossomed and delivered everything promised in the description: Stolen books, hidden libraries, forbidden societies and secret agents in alternate London. 
There is a full review in progress


I'm

- 334 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.
I'm halfway through. For me it is like the preparation of something big to come. It is interesting to see in which way the characters develop. Some seem predictable. But is always good for a surprise.

- 183 pages in The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1616147778] by Mark Hodder
I'm a big fan of the alluring Burton & Swinburne series and with the fourth book in the series we enter a new story arc. It is as good as expected.

No progress

Finally I moved the books which stayed here for month to my "to be continued later" shelf on GOODREADS.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I received physical copies of two books which I ordered in advance. Both books are related to series and unbelievable but true I read the previous books of both books which means I can continue both series.

 Let me start with the third an final book in the ACK-ACK MACAQUE trilogy.
 MACAQUE ATTACK (pb, January 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082850] by Gareth L. Powell
"INFINITE MONKEYS

He’s saved the world twice. Now the dangerous but charismatic Ack-Ack Macaque finds himself leading a dimension-hopping band of angry monkeys, facing an invading horde of implacable killer androids, and confronting the one challenge for which he was never prepared: impending fatherhood!

Meanwhile, former journalist Victoria Valois finds herself facing old enemies as she fights to save the electronic ghost of her dead husband, and Merovech, King of the United Kingdoms of Great Britain and France, receives a troubling message from the dead sands of Mars..." [Source: Back of the book]
I look forward to see how the trilofy will end. So far it has been a wild and funny ride .....


With next book I return to England in the year 1193. It is the time of Richard Lionheart, Prince John
Robin Hood and Guy of Gisburne. The big difference compared to other books covering this period of time is the main character: Guy of Gisburne!
With Hunter of Sherwood: The Red Hand (pb, 30th December 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1781082904] author Toby Venables delivered the second book in the Guy of Gisburne series.
"Guy of Gisburne, knight and agent to Prince John, is all that stands between England and anarchy, fighting a shadow battle to protect the kingdom from those who would destroy it.

Returning to England after foiling a plot to destroy Jerusalem, Guy of Gisburne is arrested and hauled to the Tower of London; John, England's regent in the absence of its monstrous King, needs his knight once more. A killer has broken into the Prince’s most secure castle in the north and left a message, drawn on the skin of one of his victims: 'the circle is closing,' signed with a handprint in blood. Is the threat genuine? Who or what is the Red Hand? Someone is killing John's men, and the obvious culprit—the most dangerous man in the Kingdom, Hood himself—has an alibi even Guy can't deny." [Source]
I hope the book will be as entertaining as the first one.


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

What are the Kargrandes?
To be honest I do not know the answer. But I can tell you who rose the question and where you can find hints.

The question is related to

Dragon of the Stars (7th April 2015) [ISBN-13: 978-1939844067] by Alex J. Cavanaugh.

"The ship of legends…
The future is set for Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, son of a Hyrathian Duke. He’s poised to secure his own command and marriage to the queen’s daughter. He’ll stop at nothing to achieve his goals.
But when the Alliance denies Hyrath’s claim on the planet of Kavil and declares war on their world, Aden finds his plans in disarray. Entrenched in battle and told he won’t make captain, Aden’s world begins to collapse. How will he salvage his career and future during Hyrath’s darkest hour?
One chance remains–the Dragon. Lost many years prior, the legendary ship’s unique weapon is Hyrath’s only hope. Can Aden find the Dragon, save his people, and prove he’s capable of commanding his own ship?" [Source]
My review of  Dragon of the Stars will be available on 1st of March 2015. Furthermore I will be part of the blog tour for the book.
For more information about the question please read the following announcement by Dancing Lemur Press LLC

"What are the Kargrandes? That is the question posed on a website announcing the April 7, 2015 release of Dragon of the Stars by Alex J. Cavanaugh–www.whatarethekargrandes.com. Every Monday, a new clue appears, along with another piece of the puzzle. Clues can also be followed on Twitter through the hashtag #whatarethekargrades. The final clue will be posted April 6, one day before the book’s release.
Cavanaugh’s first three books, CassaStar, CassaFire, and CassaStorm, are all Amazon best-sellers in the US and UK. Dragon of the Stars is a stand-alone book, and the Kargrandes are a key part of the story.
The ship of legends...
The future is set for Lt. Commander Aden Pendar, son of a Hyrathian Duke. He’s poised to secure his own command and marriage to the queen’s daughter. He’ll stop at nothing to achieve his goals.
But when the Alliance denies Hyrath’s claim on the planet of Kavil and declares war on their world, Aden finds his plans in disarray. Entrenched in battle and told he won’t make captain, Aden’s world begins to collapse. How will he salvage his career and future during Hyrath’s darkest hour?
One chance remains–the Dragon. Lost many years prior, the legendary ship’s unique weapon is Hyrath’s only hope. Can Aden find the Dragon, save his people, and prove he’s capable of commanding his own ship?
Fans are encouraged to visit every week for a new clue and share the site on social media.

Alex J. Cavanaugh works in web design, graphics, and  technical editing. Online he is the Ninja Captain and founder of the Insecure Writer’s Support Group–www.insecurewriterssupportgroup.com. His website is www.alexjcavanaugh.blogspot.com and the Kargrandes site is www.whatarethekargrandes.com.

Dragon of the Stars will be available April 7, 2015 online, retail, and in all eBook formats. Published by Dancing Lemur Press, L.L.C. Science fiction–space opera/military/adventure. Trade paperback $16.95 ISBN 9781939844064, eBook $5.99 ISBN 9781939844057 www.DancingLemurPress.com"


Amazing, Amazing, Amazing
In this case AAA has nothing to do with credit rating. I repated the word thrice in order to emphasise how much a love the following post I found over at Dark Roasted Blend. Have a look at
Amazing Automatons, Robots & Victorian Androids



Intelligence work in the 16th century
Recently I reviewed  Death by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by  Anna Castle. I mentioned it several times that the author post information related to her books.
In Death by Disputation the reader meets poets and spies. Therefor I recommend to read to following post by  Anna Castle to all her readers and everyone who is interested in intelligence work in the 16th century:




Medieval Plants
As a reader of medieval mysteries I know that often herbs and plants play a certain role. When I want to know more about a specific herb I often use Wikipedia.
Now I discovered a really interesting post series on a blog I follow. In case you are interested in the topic you should definitely visit  Sci-Fi Fan Letter and have a look at the first two posts of a post series about medieval plants:




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

There will be definitely a lot of action delivered with Avengers: Age of Ultron. The second trailer gives a small foretaste.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quote express a lot about I feel a t the moment ...............


"Once in a while you have to take a break and visit yourself.

Audrey Giorgi

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi, I'm really sorry about Pablo. It sucks our furry friends don't live as long as we do.
Thank you for mentioning What Are the Kargrandes! New clue tomorrow. My publisher did the graphics and I did all the text, and it was fun coming up with thirteen clues.
Ted will be thrilled to see your review.
Hope you recover fully from the root canal. No fun!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...