Saturday, January 03, 2015

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1501

Hello and welcome to issue #1501 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
welcome to 2015!
I neither wrote an end of the year 2014 post nor did I write a beginning of 2015 post. I did not spend much time in front of my PC because I have problems with my back like my wife. So we both tried to rest and used electric blankets. Heat is a real benefaction.
My wishes for 2015 are plain and simple:
- Stay healthy
- Read as many books as possible
- Write as many reviews as possible


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Information about  Christopher Marlowe

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Penny-Farthing

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to sports

The Lighthouse
I'm so happy! I finished 2014 with 75 books read and I have had a good start into 2015. I finished my first book for this year and put my nose in xx more books.
.

I finished

- Murder by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by  Anna Castle which is the second book in the new Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series
A full review is in progress and should be available soon.

I'm

- 62 pages in Dead Man's Land (digital, January 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B007JKSHFO] by Robert Ryan.
So far not bad. The story is developing.


- 62  pages in  The Candle Man (pb Septembe 2012 [ ISBN-13:978-1409137948] by Alex Scarrow.
So far interesting and tough. Victorian London has been a dangerous place.




No progress



- 172 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.

- 230 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 176 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last year I read and enjoyed The Oliver Quintrell Trilogy  (digital 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir (pen name of Margaret Muir). So I did not hesitate to buy a digital copy of the next book in the series:
The Unfortunate Isles (digital 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir
"December 1804. Having permission to depart Gibraltar Bay, the British naval frigate ‘Perpetual’ heads into the Atlantic. Because of the need to scrape the ship’s bottom, Captain Quintrell careens the ship on an isolated beach in the Azores. What he discovers on the Western Isles both disgusts and disturbs him, and brings him into direct conflict with a piratical scoundrel whose evil knows no bounds. Fredrik van Zetten proves to be the most fiendish adversary Oliver Quintrell has ever encountered. Despite murmurings and misgivings amongst the crew, ensnaring the rogue privateer and bringing him to justice becomes an obsession and diverts the captain from the Admiralty orders he is committed to follow. Having successfully delivered van Zetten once to the authorities, Oliver Quintrell will not let him slide out of his hands a second time. With a few new faces adding colour and intrigue to life below decks, the regular crew of His Majesty’s frigate ‘Perpetual’ embarks on another dangerous and exciting seafaring adventure." [Source]
For more information about the The Oliver Quintrell series I recommend to read
Q&A with author of THE UNFORTUNATE ISLES



The following book was an unexpected Christmas gift from my daughter.
The Candle Man (pb September 2012 [ ISBN-13:978-1409137948] by Alex Scarrow.
"1912. Locked in an eerily quiet dining room on the Titanic, a mysterious man tells a young girl his life story as the ship begins to sink. It all starts in Whitechapel, London in 1888...

In the small hours of the night in a darkened Whitechapel alley, young Mary Kelly stumbles upon a man who has been seriously injured and is almost unconscious in the gutter. Mary - down on her luck and desperate to survive - steals his bag and runs off into the night.

Two days later, an American gentleman wakes in a hospital bed with no memory of who he is or how he got there. He has suffered a serious head injury, and with no one to help him remember who he is he starts to wonder how he will ever find his way home.

One terrible truth links these two lost souls in the dark world of Victorian London - a truth that could ruin the name of the most influential man in the land...

Back in 1912, as the Titanic begins its final shuddering descent to the bottom of the frozen, black Atlantic, one man is about to reveal the truth behind a series of murders that have hung like a dark fog over London for more than two decades...the identity of Jack the Ripper." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Information about Christopher Marlowe
As I mentioned above I finished - Murder by Disputation (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00RC56VCW] by  Anna Castle which is the second book in the new Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series. Within the book Christopher Marlowe plays a certain role. Author  Anna Castle has been so kind as to put together information about xx on her blog. Have a look at




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Did not find a trailer I would like to share with you.
Instead I like to show you how to ride a penny-farthing. Don't try to ride it downhill.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Following quote fits perfectly to the past days between Christmas and New Year ...............


"Eating is really one of your indoor sports. You play three times a day, and it's well worth while to make the game as pleasant as possible.

Dorothy Draper, US novelist (1922 - 2007)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Not sure how anyone keeps his balance on one of those.
I've actually been doing a bit of reading these past few weeks. Two authors who requested blurbs and I was determined to deliver on time.

Rosalie Skinner said...

The penny farthing looks dangerous. Goodness.. I wouldn't ride it at all, let alone downhill.

Malice is on my reading list...only I have MALICE by Japanese author Keigo Higashino. The story of the murder of a famous novelist Hidaka which seems straight forward until a dedicated detective unravels a convoluted plot which becomes really engrossing.

I hope to read a lot more books this year. Not sure if there will be time, but I have plans.

Bryce L. said...

Good to see ya back and hope you have a great recovery. Happy New Year!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
to keep the balance is an art ...

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

when you search on GOODREADS books with the word MALICE in the title you get a 30 page result list.

I hope that you will enjoy MALICE by Keigo Higashino.

It is always good to have a plan .. then you have something you can change the whole year ...

ediFanoB said...

Dear Bryce,
belated HAPPY NEW YEAR!

I'm happy to be back.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...