Saturday, December 20, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1452

Hello and welcome to issue #1452 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
the days off are coming nearer. The weather is more like in autumn: Clouded, windy and rainy.
I'm pretty sure that we will miss again a white Christmas. That is also one of the reason why I do not get in a kind of Christmas mood. On Friday evening my wife and I went to cinema and watched The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies. I must say the film delivered exactly what has been promised in the title - a battle. We have not been disappointed.



ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Basil Rathbone and The Lost World
  2. Victorian Medicine
  3. Victorian Steam Ship

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Mortdecai

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to maintenance

The Lighthouse
Eleven days to go until the end of 2014. Last week I finished two of the five books I want to read until the end of the year and I continued reading two of them. Furthermore  I spent as much time as possible for reading. cI surprised myself. I finished three books!! That means the 70 books  mark is in reach. I can't believe it.

I finished

- The Lost World (digital) [Kindle ASIN: B004UJDLJE] by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"First of all one should not forget that this novel has been released for the first time in 1912! That means the mentioned Richard Burton is not the actor (1925 -1984) I loved it. The style is timeless. It is more than just an adventurer. You learn something about women, history, press and how scientists cope with each other."

- Dragon (digital, October 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00G7B9MHI].by  James Austin McCormick
I work on a review.

I'm

- 97 pages in The Martian (digital, February 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00FAXJHCY] by Andy Weir.



- 80 pages in  Britannia's Reach  (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00I9I8DWC] by Antoine Vanner.


No progress



- 172 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.

- 230 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 176 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Sometimes it happens that a copy of a book arrive a lot earlier than expected. That is exactly what happened with my digital copy of The Invisible Library (digital, December 2014 [Kindle ASIN: B00M44051E] by Genevieve Cogman.
"The first installment of an adventure featuring stolen books, secret agents and forbidden societies - think Doctor Who with librarian spies!

Irene must be at the top of her game or she'll be off the case - permanently...

Irene is a professional spy for the mysterious Library, which harvests fiction from different realities. And along with her enigmatic assistant Kai, she's posted to an alternative London. Their mission - to retrieve a dangerous book. But when they arrive, it's already been stolen. London's underground factions seem prepared to fight to the very death to find her book.

Adding to the jeopardy, this world is chaos-infested - the laws of nature bent to allow supernatural creatures and unpredictable magic. Irene's new assistant is also hiding secrets of his own.
Soon, she's up to her eyebrows in a heady mix of danger, clues and secret societies. Yet failure is not an option - the nature of reality itself is at stake." [Source]
I was hooked by the description. Stolen books, hidden libraries, forbidden societies and secret agents in alternate London. 





No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Basil Rathbone and The Lost World
Last week I talked about the weblog which convinced me to read The Lost World (digital) [Kindle ASIN: B004UJDLJE] by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.
Actor Basil Rathbone (1892 – 1967) has had a special relationship to one of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's characters. He represented Sherlock Holmes in 14 films. Now visit following post and listen to Basil Rathbone starring as the voices of  Professor Challenger and Professor Summerlee:

Dinosaurs! The Lost World read by Basil Rathbone




Victorian Medicine
Recently I discovered a two part post about Victorian Medicine  over at the Airship Ambassador which delivers a good introduction to the topic.




Victorian Steam Ship
The following post over at Dark Roasted Blend is my favourite post of the week. Have a look and you may understand why ....


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

My wife and I like actor Johnny Depp who will return to cinema in 2015 as the art dealer and part time rogue Charlie Mortdecai in Mortdecai.. The trailer give you a first impression what to expect in this action comedy movie.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

For me it seems that people do not like tasks whenever the term "maintenance" comes into play. The following quote shows that this is nothing new  ...............


"Another flaw in the human character is that everybody wants to build and nobody wants to do maintenance.

Kurt Vonnegut, US novelist (1922 - 2007)

4 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

I went to cinema too to watch The Hobbit, and I had a little disappointment. I enjoyed the movie very much, but it was totaly unnecesarry. The atmosphere of the world of Middle-Earth competelly missing to me.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I thought the final Hobbit was a great way to end the series. Bittersweet, also because it means no more Middle Earth movies.
What a shame they dismantled the Great Eastern!
And have the Lost World on my iPad and look forward to reading it.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

I read the book and I admit the movies are different. For me the three Hobbit movies have been a seond visit to Middle-Earth and I was happy to meet again characters like Gandalf.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

maybe this was not the last visit to Middle-Earth. Peter Jackson talked about a possible "Silmarillion" movie in several years ......

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...