Saturday, December 06, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1450

Hello and welcome to issue #1450 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
another tough week including 12 hour working days is coming to an end. At least I found some time for reading and also for buying new books.
But there was not much time left to find interesting topics worth to share with you.
That is the reason why this issue is quite short.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Long distance wireless photography in 1908
  2. Climate change

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Shaun the Sheep Movie

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to memory

The Lighthouse
Once again I read a book in my first language and I could not resist to start reading a book directly after I bought the digital copy..


I finished

- Inspector Swanson und der Fluch des Hope-Diamanten (digital, March 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00J4NDS3U] by Robert C. Marley.
It was OK. I gave three stars on GOODREADS. Maybe my expectations have been too high.


I'm

- 176 White Corridor (digital 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003JTHFQG] by Christopher Fowler which is the fifth book in the Bryant and May Mystery
Bryant and May are such extraordinary characters. I like it that this time the other members of the Peculiar Crimes Unit play a more important role.

-202 pages in  Master & Commander (digital 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by Patrick O'Brian.
Due to all the details I takes me much longer to read the book than expected.

- 31 pages in The Martian (digital, February 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00FAXJHCY] by Andy Weir.
I was not aware that soil can be so interesting ....

No progress


- 497 pages in The Oliver Quintrell Trilogy (digital 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir (pen name of Margaret Muir).

- 172 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.

- 230 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 176 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

In the past week I found time to buy four more digital copies for my reader.
Let me start with a historical adventure which I got for less than one Euro. Come with me to England in the year 1688. This s the world of The Bitter Trade (digital, April 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00JGN9GT8] by Piers Alexander.
"The Bitter Trade is a historical adventure set during the Glorious Revolution:
Rebellious silk trader Calumny Spinks must become a coffee racketeer and join the conspiracy against the King to save his father’s life.

In 1688, torn by rebellions, England lives under the threat of a Dutch invasion. Redheaded Calumny Spinks is the lowliest man in an Essex backwater: half-French and still unapprenticed at seventeen, yet he dreams of wealth and title.

When his father’s violent past resurfaces, Cal’s desperation leads him to become a coffee racketeer. He has just three months to pay off a blackmailer and save his father’s life - but his ambition and talent for mimicry pull him into a conspiracy against the King himself. Cal’s journey takes him from the tough life of Huguenot silk weavers to the vicious intrigues at Court. As the illicit trader Benjamin de Corvis and his controlling daughter Emilia pull him into their plots, and his lover Violet Fintry is threatened by impending war, Cal is forced to choose between his conscience and his dream of becoming Mister Calumny Spinks." [Source]



On 24th November I talked about the book which has been released on 5th of December.   Britannia's Wolf  (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00Q9GQSQO] by Antoine Vanner is the third book in the naval fiction series Dawlish Chronicles.
"It’s 1881 and a daring act of piracy draws the ambitious British naval officer, Nicholas Dawlish, into a deadly maelstrom of intrigue and revolution. Drawn in too is his wife Florence, for whom the glimpse of a half-forgotten face evokes memories of earlier tragedy. For both a nightmare lies ahead, amid the wealth and squalor of America’s Gilded Age and on a fever-ridden island ruled by savage tyranny. Manipulated ruthlessly from London by the shadowy Admiral Topcliffe, Nicholas and Florence Dawlish must make some very strange alliances if they are to survive – and prevail."
So far I read the first book in the series. I hope to continue reading the second book soon.




The next book is the winner of the GOODREADS CHOICE AWARDS 2014 in the category science fiction: The Martian (digital, February 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00FAXJHCY] by Andy Weir.
"Apollo 13 meets Cast Away in this grippingly detailed, brilliantly ingenious man-vs-nature survival thriller, set on the surface of Mars.

Six days ago, astronaut Mark Watney became one of the first men to walk on the surface of Mars. Now, he's sure he'll be the first man to die there.

It started with the dust storm that holed his suit and nearly killed him, and that forced his crew to leave him behind, sure he was already dead. Now he's stranded millions of miles from the nearest human being, with no way to even signal Earth that he's alive--and even if he could get word out, his food would be gone years before a rescue mission could arrive. Chances are, though, he won't have time to starve to death. The damaged machinery, unforgiving environment, or plain-old "human error" are much more likely to get him first.

But Mark isn't ready to give up yet. Drawing on his ingenuity, his engineering skills--and a relentless, dogged refusal to quit--he steadfastly confronts one seemingly insurmountable obstacle after the next. But will his resourcefulness be enough to overcome the impossible odds against him?" [Source]


The last one is crime novel set in Victorian London. This is nothing new. But it is written in my first language. I talk about  Inspector Swanson und der Fluch des Hope-Diamanten (digital, March 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00J4NDS3U] by Robert C. Marley.
"London 1893, Gordon Wigfield, ein ehrbarer Goldschmied und Damenfreund wurde in seiner Werkstatt auf bestialische Weise ermordet. Chief Inspector Donald Sutherland Swanson nimmt die Ermittlungen auf.

Doch es bleibt nicht bei einer Leiche. Die Nachforschungen führen Swanson schließlich in die höchsten Kreise der Gesellschaft. Welche Rolle spielen Oscar Wilde und sein Geliebter Lord Douglas? Und was weiß Arthur Conan Doyle

Die Karten werden neu gemischt als sich herausstellt, dass der in den Kellern des Londoner Bankhauses Parr am Cavendish Square aufbewahrte „Blaue Hope-Diamant“ eine Imitation ist…" [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Long distance wireless photography in 1908
There are still gems to be rediscovered from the early days of trick films. Visit Voyages Extraordinaire in order to enjoy one:



Climate change
Don't worry I do not want to be part of the current discussion. Instead I want to have you a look back in history. Was there a climate change which have had an impact on our history? I do not talk about the ice age. There is a real interesting post over at Sci-Fi Fan Letter. Have a look at



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Despite my age I still love Shaun the sheep. Therefore I was really happy when I read the news that Shaun the sheep will appear in cinemas in 2015.
Following trailer give you a first impression of what to expect.




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

From time to time my memories surprise me. Why do I remember useless things? The following quote is worth to think about. But be aware this could lead to some knots in your brain ...............


"It's a poor sort of memory that only works backward.

Lewis Carroll, English author, 1832 - 1898

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm curious about The Martian since it was a self-published book that's soon to be a movie.
I confess - I dig Aardman's movies.

Rosalie Skinner said...

The Martian sounds interesting.
Love how sci fi is making a return to screen.
Shaun the Sheep.. what's not to love.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I'm not really interesting about The Martian. The stranded, lonely astronaut means the lack of dialogues. However the movie version can be good for me.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
unfortunately I did not find time to continue to read The Martian.
Instead I finished three other books.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rosalie,
I will keep you informed about The Martian.

Shaun the Sheep is for all ages.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,

to be honest it took me a long time to decide to buy a copy of The Martian. The first 30 pages have been interesting.
Unfortunately I did not find time to continue reading last week.
I will keep you informaed about The Martian.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...