Saturday, November 08, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1445

Hello and welcome to issue #1445 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
53 days until the end of 2014. 46 days until Christmas. I do not need to think about Christmas presents because my wife and I bought our present several weeks ago: A new sewing machine.
Instead I started to think about which books I want to read until the end of 2014.  It is much more difficult as I assumed. I avoided to make any plans because I know from my experience that most of my reading plans failed. But one thing I know for sure. I want to read more books than the 61 I read in 2009.  I is still a marvel for me how I manged to read 81 books in 2012.

In order to get stressed less I started to listen to game soundtracks. I must say it works partially.
You find a lot of them over at YouTube.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
  2. What to read in the remaining days of 2014
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Dragon of the Stars cover
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Keyboard and sport
  2. Animals in Devon
  3. Gray's Inn

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies 
  2.  The Witcher 3 Wild Hunt
  3.  Iron Sky: The Coming Race

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to difference

The Lighthouse
I finished one more book and put my nose into some more books.
.


I finished

The Simulacrum (digital 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00LXAHH3O] by Brad Seggie and Linda Yezak.I wrote on GOODREADS:
" It was interesting to learn more about Creationism.
But I was a bit disappointed by the end of the story."




I'm


- 172 pages in
Creationism and evolution play an important role in this book.

-328 pages in Maschinenseele (pb April 2014 2009) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-3867622042; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00L2F7LRC] by Chris Schlicht.  
The author did such a great job.

- 82 pages in The Oliver Quintrell Trilogy (digital 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir (pen name of Margaret Muir).
Good stuff.

- 69 pages in  Master & Commander (digital 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by Patrick O'Brian.
I'm impressed. This book delivers tons of naval details which force me to use a dictionary quite often. Beside that I like the characters.

- 128 pages in Traitor's Blade (digital 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00HEG6UGG] by Sebastien de Castell 
Deliveres sword and sorcery in an entertaining manner.


No progress

- 172 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.

- 230 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 176 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Inspired by The Oliver Quintrell Trilogy (digital 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir (pen name of Margaret Muir) I could not resist to buy digital copies of the first two books in the famous Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I paid just 2,54 EUR = 3.17 USD both.
Master & Commander (digital 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by Patrick O'Brian.
"Set sail for the read of your life …

Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin tales are widely acknowledged to be the greatest series of historical novels ever written. Now, for the first time, they are available in electronic book format, so a whole new generation of readers can be swept away on the adventure of a lifetime.

Master and Commander is the first of Patrick O’Brian’s now famous Aubrey/Maturin novels, regarded by many as the greatest series of historical novels ever written. It establishes the friendship between Captain Jack Aubrey RN and Stephen Maturin, who becomes his secretive ship’s surgeon and an intelligence agent. It contains all the action and excitement which could possibly be hoped for in a historical novel, but it also displays the qualities which have put O’Brian far ahead of any of his competitors: his depiction of the detail of life aboard a Nelsonic man-of-war, of weapons, food, conversation and ambience, of the landscape and of the sea. O’Brian’s portrayal of each of these is faultless and the sense of period throughout is acute. His power of characterisation is above all masterly.

This brilliant historical novel marked the début of a writer who grew into one of our greatest novelists ever, the author of what Alan Judd, writing in the Sunday Times, has described as ‘the most significant extended story since Anthony Powell’s A Dance to the Music of Time’." [Source]


Master & Commander (digital 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by Patrick O'Brian.
"Patrick O’Brian’s Aubrey-Maturin tales are widely acknowledged to be the greatest series of historical novels ever written. Now, for the first time, they are available in electronic book format, so a whole new generation of readers can be swept away on the adventure of a lifetime. This is the second book in the series.

Patrick O’Brian is regarded by many as the greatest historical novelist now writing. Post Captain, the second novel in his remarkable Aubrey/Maturin series, led Mary Renault to write: ‘Master and Commander raised dangerously high expectations; Post Captain triumphantly surpasses them.’

This tale begins with Jack Aubrey arriving home from his exploits in the Mediterranean to find England at peace following the Treaty of Amiens. He and his friend Stephen Maturin, surgeon and secret agent, begin to live the lives of country gentlemen, hunting, entertaining and enjoying more amorous adventures. Their comfortable existence, however, is cut short when Jack is overnight reduced to a pauper with enough debts to keep him in prison for life. He flees to the continent to seek refuge: instead he finds himself a hunted fugitive as Napoleon has ordered the internment of all Englishmen in France. Aubrey’s adventures in escaping from France and the debtors’ prison will grip the reader as fast as his unequalled actions at sea." [Source]



In 2010 I read and reviewed TimeRiders (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326924] by Alex Scarrow. I liked it a lot. On6th of November 2014 I received my copy of the ninth AND FINAL book in the series: TimeRiders: The Infinity Cage (2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337203].
"Liam O'Connor should have died at sea in 1912.
Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010.
Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026.

But all three have been given a second chance - to work for an agency that no one knows exists.
Its purpose: to prevent time travel destroying history . . .

The end is approaching for the TimeRiders. In a final effort to prevent time travel destroying history, Liam and Maddy jump forward to 2070 to confront the enigmatic Waldstein and prove once and for all if he is friend or foe. What they discover is more shocking than anyone could have imagined and soon the TimeRiders are on one final mission - back to Biblical times to save the whole of humanity..." [Source]

Do you know the feeling when you have have a copy of the last book in series in your hands and you are torn between to devour it immediately and to avoid to open it at all cost because you do not want the series to be finished?  So far I escaped to the sea and follow alternating Captain Oliver Quintrell and Captain Jack Aubrey.   I will start to read TimeRiders: The Infinity Cage as soon as I'm in the right mood and have enough time.


The kind people over at  Tor/Forge.com sent my a copy of the US edition of TheTime Roads (October 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-0765331250] by Beth Bernobich.
"Éire is one of the most powerful empires in the world. The Anglian Dependencies are a dusty backwater filled with resentful colonial subjects, Europe is a disjointed mess, and many look to Éire for stability and peace. In a series of braided stories, Beth Bernobich has created a tale about the brilliant Éireann scientists who have already bent the laws of nature for Man's benefit. And who now are striving to conquer the nature of time." [Source]
I read some mixed reviews about the book. One of the imprtant questions for is how much romance is in the book?
As I have somany other books on my to read list it will take some time until I can answer the question by myself.




Dragon of the Stars cover
There is an author who wanted to write one book. Now he presented the cover of his next book which will be his fourth. I talk about author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh.
And here is the cover of  Dragon of the Stars which will be released on  April 7, 2015:





No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Keyboard and sport
I admit that I spent way too much time hitting the buttons of my keyboard instead of using the treadmill. Maybe I should replace my current used keyboard with the one shown over at the WebUrbanist:




Animals in Devon
I talk about Devon, the  county of England. Would you expect to meet a wallaby in Devon? There is more behind Devon than one thinks. Read the enlightening post over at  English Historical Fiction Authors:







Gray's Inn
Last week I informed about a post series over at at Anna Castle's blog. She is the author of Murder by Misrule (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00J9TABYS]  which is the first book in the new Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series starring a "brain and muscle team" in person of Francis Bacon and Thomas Clarady.
Now the third post is available. In case you missed my post last week I show the links to part one and two too:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Less than a month to go until The Hobbit The Battle of the Five Armies will hit the cinemas and it seems we can expect a lot of action.




I'm not sure when we will get a PS4 but I know for sure that my wife and I are eagerly to get and play The Witcher 3 The Wild Hunt. This is the opening cinematic of the game. Awesome!!
 really look forward to spring 2015.




It must be around two years ago when I talk about a move named IRON SKY which my wife categorized as a movie for boys. Now the sequel IRON SKY THE COMING RACE is in progress.
The following teaser trailer give you a first impression about what to expect.

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

An obvious difference between an airship and a brick ...............


"The ships hung in the sky in much the same way that bricks don't.

Douglas Adams, English science fiction novelist, 1952 - 2001

4 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

I think it's the time to find the mood to continue reading of the Emperor of Thorns. :) As I remember your at a part when book book presents very cruel tortures at the infected lands. I didn't like that part, in spite of somehow reminded me Stephen King's Dark Tower books.

I liked the Iron Sky movie, however the trailers were more promising than the final result. This teaser looks great.

Alex book cover also looks great. The guitar-shaped spaceship was cool idea.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi!! What an awesome surprise. Thank you. I didn't even note the guitar shape until someone else pointed it out. I'm sure you will get a review copy soon.
Time Riders sounds interesting.
And very excited about the final Hobbit movie.
Saw Interstellar yesterday. Very ambitious film. 2001: A Space Odyssey vibe to it. And yet, very much its own movie.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
This week's quote is one of my favourites. :)
I am doing Nano and heading for a writer's retreat next week. Hoping to get some writing done.
I saw Interstellar last week. A very long movie. Some great bits, but overall it seemed a bit too long. I did like the visualisation of the black hole, created by using the formula for a black hole with clever computer graphic prog. Ground breaking information for both the science community and Hollywood.

Well done solving the whole Christ gift problem.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán, Alex and Rosalie,

I'm sorry for the belated reply.

Work and our tomcat kept and keep me busy.

@Zoltán,
to be honest at the moment I long for reading books beyond epic fantasy. For now my heart beats for naval fiction, crime novels and medieval mysteries.
I'm sure I will return to epic fantasy but I do not know when.

@Alex,
sometimes reader discover things you did not recognise as an author.

@Rosalie,
fingers crossed your Nano participation works as expected.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...