Sunday, November 30, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave isse #1149

Hello and welcome to issue #1448 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
my posts in November 2014 mirror more or less the time I could/can spend for the blog.
Now I look forward to a few days off which will give me the opportunity to come at least with one more review.
The veterinarian confirmed that our tomcat suffers from diabetes. He needs know every twelve hours an insulin injection. That means we have had to adjust our daily life in order to delivery the injections in time.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Troll Bridge Architecture
  2. Liquid History
  3. Julia Pastrana

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Jurassic World

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to undo

The Lighthouse
Again I surprised myself with my reading progress. I finished two more books and continued one of my current readings.


I finished



This has been an emotional rollercoaster ride. Characters easily to follow, to adore and to hate. What an incredible swashbuckling, gritty, dark story full of action, intelligent conversation, twist and turns, revelations and emotions.

I'm totally keen to read the next book in the "GREYCOATS" series and hope it will be published soon!"


I finished

- The Tainted Price the second book in The Oliver Quintrell Trilogy (digital 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I bought the complete Oliver Quintrell Trilogy.
But as these are three books, I want to count them as three different books.

Therefore I will rate the first two books separately and the third book within the trilogy entry.

Wow!
The second book continues on the high level of the first book. Compared to the first book there is some more action.
"


- The Second Staircase (digital 2009) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0031RS7HC] by Christopher Fowler which is the fourth book in the Bryant and May Mystery
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I love the series and I love this book too.

For me it is so much more than just another crime case.

This is a book about London, about history, about people coping with age in a changing world.
I highly appreciate the character development. Maybe that has something to do with my own age. I'm not sure if I would have like the story in the same way when I have been thirty years younger."



I'm


- 497 pages in The Oliver Quintrell Trilogy (digital 2013) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by M. C. Muir (pen name of Margaret Muir).
Finished the second book. Another excellent read!

-166 pages in  Master & Commander (digital 2011) [Kindle ASIN: B00H5FJ0WM] by Patrick O'Brian.
I'm impressed. This book delivers tons of naval details which force me to use a dictionary quite often. Beside that I like the characters.
Nothing to add to my previous comment.




No progress

- 172 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.

- 230 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 176 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

In the past week one digital copy found a new home on my reader.
I read several reviews which praised the following book and as I found a good offer, I bought a digital copy of The Northern Sunrise (digital, March 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00J4NDS3U] by Rob J. Hayes. This is something completely different compared to the previous grim dark fantasy The Ties that Bind trilogy.
"The Northern Sunrise is a stand alone book by the author of The Ties that Bind trilogy. Set in a new world of corruption, deceit and thievery; mixing magical fantasy and alchemy-punk with a healthy smattering of airshippery.

There comes a point in every thief's life where one has to take stock of all that they have achieved. We have stolen almost everything there is worth stealing: Prince Henri's Jadefire ring, the Marquisse d'Bola's collection of prized toy soldiers, Elize Gion's Living Autumn, the very first airship schematic, and who could forget we definitely made off with Baron Rivette's pride.

The trick, I find, is not to break in. No. The trick is to convince the mark to invite you in."." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Troll Bridge Architecture
I admit that I did not know that troll bridge architecture exist. That changed with the following enlightening blog entry:



Liquid History
That sounds nice. but what does it mean? Is it a part of history covering the history of alcoholic drinks? I may disappoint you when I answer the question with "NO".  The header of  of the following post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors contain the answer:



Julia Pastrana
Ever heard the name before? Maybe you have seen pictures of the woman born in the mountains of Western Mexico in 1834. If you want to know more about Julia Pastrana and her fate then you should visit The Public Domain Review and read






That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies


Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

21 years ago Jurassic Park hit the cinemas which I still remember.
In June 2015 Jurassic World will appear on the big screen. I know the story sounds familiar. Nevertheless I want to see the movie. I like what I saw in the trailer and to be honest a genetically-modified hybrid dinosaur is something promising. An intelligent dinosaur on the hunt ....



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Life does not include an "undo" button like many computer programs and video games. An insight which is much older than computer programs and video games as following quote confirm ...............


"What's done cannot be undone.

William Shakespeare, English dramatist, 1564 - 1616, Macbeth, Act V, sc. 1

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Troll Bridge? Will check out that link.
The full trailer for Jurassic World is amazing. I have hope in the series again.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...