Sunday, October 12, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1441

Hello and welcome to issue #1441 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
most of the weekend I spent attending a sewing course. I enjoy sewing because it is delivers a combination of relaxation and satisfaction for me. Furthermore it is a hobby I share with my wife.
But that means not much time left for this post.


And now

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Horses
  2. Frozen Venice
  3. Solar-Powered Art
  4. Something for your wall
  5. A sliced bridge
  6. Music

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Interstellar

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to Thesaurus

The Lighthouse
I finished one more book and continued reading one of my current readings. That is not that bad. I have high hopes to finish three more books until end of October.

I finished

- Das Mondmalheur (digital 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00LXAHH3O] by Annette Kannenberg.
The first part has been a funny, lively, intelligent and entertaining read. But the second part never reached the level of the first part.

I'm

- 228 pages in  The Bullet Catcher's Daughter (pb 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-3867621205] by Rod Duncan


No progress

- 172 pages in  Malice (digital December 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER8240] by John Gwynne.

- 230 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 213 pages in Maschinenseele (pb April 2014 2009) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-3867622042; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00L2F7LRC] by Chris Schlicht.  
My wife wanted to read the book too. Therefore I stopped reading and tried to finish other books.

- 176 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson


- 74 pages in Britannia's Wolf  (digital 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00CLHET9S] by Antoine Vanner.


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I did not buy a single book but I downloaded a digital copy for free.

The Simulacrum (digital 2014) [Kindle ASIN: B00LXAHH3O] by Brad Seggie and Linda Yezak.
"Less than a year after discovering a human fossil and a dinosaur fossil found together, paleontologist Wayne Oakford is murdered. His niece, Mary Dillard, believes the killer was another scientist who was trying to ruin his reputation. She hires a private detective, Gunnar Schofield, to investigate the murder. While travelling across the country, the pair learns that a secret society of scientists has been falsifying the fossil record to discredit creationism and support Darwin's theory of evolution. Will she succeed in clearing Wayne Oakford's name? Will the truth about evolution be exposed to the world?" [Source]
From time to time I need to read something beyond fantasy and science fiction. while flipping through the list of free books the cover of xxx aroused my interest. After reading the description I decided to get a free copy of the book. With 260 pages it is not that long. With normal reading speed it should take me seven and a half hours to finish the book ....


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Horses
Sometimes one should a look at funny pics. I was not aware that so many funny pics starring horses exist.  So go for a funny virtual ride over at  Dark Roasted Blend and enjoy



Frozen Venice
Venice is a wonderful town. How would it look like if it was completely frozen. Here is the answer:




Solar-Powered Art
There are different ways to paint a picture. The following one is spectacular. The artist use a magnifying glass instead of a paint-brush. The results are absolutely stunning which you can see for yourself over at the Weburbanist .........




Something for your wall
It is not a pure poster. It is a blueprint-inspired poster. It gives you the opportunity to travel through time and space around the world. Have a look at this amazing poster over at the Weburbanist impressed me  .........




A sliced bridge
There are so many different bridge constructions available and I have seen many bridges in my life. But the following one over at the Weburbanist impressed me  .........




Music
Do you like to listen to music from the Roaring Twenties? The you should visit

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Tomorrowland is one of theme lands in the Disney theme parks around the world. In May 2015 a film with the same name will hit the cinemas.
This is the description from IMDdb
"Bound by a shared destiny, a teen bursting with scientific curiosity and a former boy-genius inventor embark on a mission to unearth the secrets of a place somewhere in time and space that exists in their collective memory."
And this is the Tomorrowland teaser trailer.....


Looks like a film for the whole family ......





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

This is just something to think about ........


"What's another word for Thesaurus?

Steven Wright, American actor and comedian, 1955 -

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like the premise of The Simulacrum. (And can't discredit Creationism for me.)
Frozen Venice? Will explore that next.
And a hobby you share with your wife is to be treasured. I'm grateful my wife and I enjoy doing so many things together.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...