Saturday, August 02, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1431

Hello and welcome to issue #1431 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
despite the fact we sweat a lot due to the heat my wife and I enjoyed the  medieval fair which took place in the garden of Karlsruhe Palace last Sunday.
The last week was a week to forget regarding reading. I did not sleep well (too hot and too high air moisture, too noisy) and I assume you know what it means to go through the day in a tired and exhausted condition. Summer is definitely not my favorite season of the year.


Enough about me.
Have a look at what I put together for you.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A short story for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Robots
  2. Made in the Trenches
  3. A book from 1580
  4. Die Abenteuer des Richard Donahue completed

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to relaxation

The Lighthouse
My reading progress is like a ride on a roller coaster. At least I finished a short story and started a new book.


I finished

- Brisk Money ( digital July 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00KUXUSYU] by Adam Christopher.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I do not read short stories that often but this one I love. 
The setting, the atmosphere , the characters. Raymond and Googol are awesome. 
Can you imagine a robot private investigator with a memory not lasting longer than 24 hours and a kind of split personality? Read Brisk Money and you get an idea.
 I really look forward to read the whole LA trilogy which will start in 2015."



I'm

- 113 pages in Sherlock Holmes: Gods of War (June 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781165430] by James Lovegrove.
After reading nearly one third of the book I must say that I like how the author cope with Sherlock Holmes at the age of 59.

As far as we know Sherlock Holmes was born in 1854. He retired late 1903/early 1904. The story is set In 1913 and so he was 59 years old at this time. [Source for all dates]
Furthermore I love all the historical details mentioned and set into relation to the story. I'm sure I did not discover them all.


No progress

- 148 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.


- 170 pages in Murder (digital, hc 2014) [KINDLE EDITION ASIN: B00HVBK07Y; ISBN-13: 978-1780872346] by Sarah Pinborough.

- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This month I expect the delivery of several copies which I ordered in advance. Some of them have been postponed. I will wait and see which copies will finally arrive.
Nevertheless could not resist and bought digital copies of following three books.

It has been mere chance that I discovered The Earl of Brass ( digital June 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00L4CWBVE] by Kara Jorgensen.
"When Eilian Sorrell, a promising archaeologist and the eldest son of the Earl of Dorset, loses his arm in a dirigible crash, he fears he will face a bleak future among London's aristocracy. On a quest for normalcy, Lord Sorrell commissions a prosthetic arm but finds the craftsman is not what he seems.

After the death of her brother, Hadley Fenice takes over his prosthesis business but knows it will be an uphill battle as women are discouraged from doing man’s work. In return for building Lord Sorrell an automaton arm, he offers her a chance at freedom by following him to the Negev Desert under the guise of a man.

But what lies beneath the desert is more precious than potshards or bones. As they venture deeper, they discover a society where the path of life is not governed by gain but by passion. When imperialistic invaders come in search of a new colony to pillage, Eilian and Hadley are forced to defend their fleeting glimpse of paradise." [Source]
Author  Kara Jorgensen is a new voice in the world of steampunk with her debut novel. I like to discover new authors and the description convinced me to buy a copy and give it a try.



Yesterday I read following post over at The History Girls:

It is the review of The Secret World of Christoval Alvarez ( digital March 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00JC30J2A] by Ann Swinfen which is the first book in The Chronicles of Christoval Alvarez series.
"It is the year 1586. England is awash with traitors, plotting to assassinate the Queen and bring about a foreign invasion. The young physician Christoval Alvarez, a refugee from the horrors of the Portuguese Inquisition, is coerced into becoming a code-breaker and agent in Sir Francis Walsingham’s secret service. In the race to thwart the plot, who will triumph – the ruthless conspirators or the equally ruthless State?"[Source]
Beside the review mentioned above the official website of Ann Swinfen delivers information in form of a backstory. Furthermore you can read an excerpt.

After reading all the information I could not resist and bought a copy.

The good thing is that the second book in the series is available to and yes, I also bought a copy of the second book.

The Enterprise of England ( digital June 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00LCCH04O] by Ann Swinfen
"Facing the threat of King Philip’s Enterprise of England – Spanish invasion and annexation of the country – Sir Francis Walsingham’s secret service spreads a network of agents across Europe. After caring for hundreds of maimed and wounded soldiers returning from the fall of Sluys, young physician and code-breaker Christoval Alvarez is sent on two dangerous missions to Amsterdam, where, amongst the friendly Hollanders, treason and treachery lurks. Christoval’s ship, sailing home, plays its part in the great sea battle in which the small and inexperienced English navy must confront the most powerful sea force in the world." [Source]
Due to information delivered within the review the third book -
The PortugueseAffair by Ann Swinfen - will be available before the end of summer.








A short story for you?

On 12th of July I told you that I bought a digital copy of  Drakenfeld (digital 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00CYM1920] by Mark Charan Newton.
So far i did not read the book. Now the author announced the upcoming release (somewhere in August) of the short story The Messenger which is set in the world of Drakenfeld but set a few years before the timeline of the novel. You can read it as a taster of the book or as an additional information to the book.
And this is the cover:





No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Robots
The following post over at Dark Roasted Blend fits well to the short story xx which I read last week:




Made in the Trenches
This year we remember WW1. From TV documentation over books to posts.  Whenever possible I like to get information from original sources like letters from soldiers.  The Public Domain Review present such an original source. Have a look at



A book from 1580
I must say I was really impressed when I visited The Public Domain Review saw following post. Unbelievable what people created 435 years ago. I think you will agree after having a look at





Die Abenteuer des Richard Dean Donahue completed
On 12 of July I posted about  a post series on the German Steampunk blog Clockworker.
It was for all those readers who would like to put their nose in to a German adventure story with steampunk. At that time part one to four of Die Abenteuer des Richard Dean Donahue have been available.
Now I can provide the links to part five to seven. In case you missed my post in July I post again the links to part one to four.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

What shall I say about the following trailer? I think I belong to the millions of people who are keen to see the the third and final part of THE  HOBBIT.  It seems we can expect a lot of battle scenes.,,,




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The following quotes fit perfectly to my situation last week ....



"The time to relax is when you don't have time for it.

Sydney J. Harris, US journalist, 1917 - 1986

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I tend to live for AC in the summer here.
The new Hobbit trailer is a stunner. So is the one for Interstellar. Now I'm really excited for that film.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I saw the Interstellar trailer on your blog .... really promising.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...