Saturday, July 26, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1430

Hello and welcome to issue #1430 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
what a week! I do not want to bother you with details. It ended with a longer sleep on Saturday. All in all the week was more on the sunny side of life.
Now I look forward to tomorrow(Sunday) when my wife and I will go to a medieval fair which takes place in the garden of Karlsruhe Palace.

Enough about me.
Have a look at what I put together for you.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A book for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Welded Swords
  2. A famous villain from Tudor England
  3. Travel in 16th century
  4. 18th century make-up
  5. Old sayings
  6. Historical sources
  7. A tale of an author
  8. Three-wheeled microcars
  9. Behind the scenes at a museum 
  10. What do you get when you mix books, banks and London?

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Risen 3 Titan Lords

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to middle age

The Lighthouse
Good news! I finished a book from my no progress book list. I continued reading one book of my no progress book list and started to read a new book.



I finished


- The City (pb, 2014; first published in 2013) [ISBN: 978-0552168953] by Stella Gemmell
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is epic fantasy but I could not really enjoy it. I did not find the right way to connect to the characters. For me the story was a mixture of interesting, boring and confusing chapters.

I was either the wrong reader for the right book or the right reader for the wrong book. I can't give any recommendation to read or to stay away from the book. The only thing I can say that the book did not work for me."


I'm

- 148 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.
I'm still fascinated. A book full of ideas. 475 pages until the end.



- 170 pages in Murder (digital, hc 2014) [KINDLE EDITION ASIN: B00HVBK07Y; ISBN-13: 978-1780872346] by Sarah Pinborough.
I have had high expectations. But after reading half of the book I'm really disappointed. This is just Mayhem part 2. No new case as I expected. Furthermore there are endless pages about the relationship between one woman and two men. I'm not a fan of romance. Not sure if I will continue reading



No progress

- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I bought digital copies of of a novella which you also can read online for free.
Once a while I read short stories and novellas  because they often give an introduction to a new series and therefore they are a good indicator for what to expect in future books.

"Brisk Money is a prequel to The LA Trilogy, a set of three novels starring Raymond Electromatic, a robot PI, which you can learn more about here. The first volume is due out in late 2015." [Source
After reading the information above I was hooked. Even you can read the story for free at Tor.com , just click the link if you would like, I bought a digital copy of Brisk Money ( digital July 2014) [Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00KUXUSYU] by Adam Christopher.
"Raymond Chandler famously hated science fiction, saying “They pay brisk money for this crap?” However, it has recently come to light that Chandler secretly wrote a series of stories and novels starring a robot detective. He then burnt all the manuscripts and went on writing his noir masterpieces. Unknown to Chandler, his housekeeper had managed to save some of these discarded manuscripts from the grate in his study, preserving the tales for future generations.


The first of these stories was recently unearthed by author Adam Christopher. On the topic of how the manuscript made its way from Chandler’s study in California to Christopher’s home in England, Christopher is suspiciously quiet." [Source]




A book for you?
"It’s a stunning title and whilst perhaps not for everyone it’s a book that I did get a lot out of as it is something that really gets to the readers heartstrings as we can look back on the time period concerned with the beauty of hindsight. All round a great book with characters that not only draw you in but one that has been carefully crafted for maximum effect." [Source]
This part of a book review over at Falcata Times aroused my interest. A book not for everyone.
I followed several recommendations on this blog in the past and I have never been disappointed.
The book takes place in 1926 in South-West Germany. I must say I do not read often books set in this period of time and taking place in my home country.
Nevertheless the review and the book description convinced me to add the book to my to read and to buy list.
Maybe the review over at Falcata Times and the following description will convince you to.
A Wolf in Hindelheim (digital 2013, pb 2014, hc 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00C1DG59E; ISBN-13: 978-0099558972; ISBN-13: 978-0091954024] by Jenny Mayhew
"An atmospheric and gripping novel from an exciting new voice for fans of The Snow Child and The Hundred-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out of the Window and Disappeared

South-West Germany, 1926. The disappearance of a baby girl calls for Constable Theodore Hildebrandt and his son Klaus to visit the remote village of Hindelheim, a place where nothing ever happens. But the news of the missing baby has brought darkness to the community. It is as if someone or something wicked is playing a game. As the wind blows and the mist thickens, tensions rise among the villagers as everyone falls under suspicion. And when the rumors begin and secrets start to unravel, the quiet village of Hindelheim is set to change forever." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Today I present the stuff I like to share with you in a certain order. It is a chronological order of the post contents. The following ten pieces cover the time from the 5th century to the 21st century and delivers a colorful mix which you hopefully will enjoy as much as I did. All these posts are related to history and/or books.

Welded Swords
I love to read about old techniques and their surviving through centuries. Swords are famous weapons in fantasy and also in the history of mankind. There is an excellent post about welded swords over at English Historical Fiction Authors:

A Sinuous and Deadly Beauty: Pattern Welded Swords



A famous villain of Tudor England
What would a good fantasy or historical mystery without villains? The history of mankind is full of villains and some of them are like blueprints for villains in fiction. With the following post over at English Historical Fiction Authors:I made the virtual acquaintance with a famous villain so far unknown to me.

Tudor England's Most Infamous Villain: Richard Rich, 1st Baron Rich of Leez


Travel in 16th century
Today we have a lot of different means of transport in order to get from A to B compared for example with travel in 16th century. At least I know a bit about this topic in medieval times since I read and reviewed The Time Traveller's Guide To Medieval England (June 2009, 368 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1845950996], by Ian Mortimer.
Begin of July 2014 I talked about Murder by Misrule (digital 2014) [ Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00J9TABYS] by Anna Castle which is the first book in the new Francis Bacon Murder Mystery Series starring a "brain and muscle team" in person of Francis Bacon and Thomas Clarady. Since then I follow Anna Castle's blog.  
This is not the first time that I tell you that I like it a lot when authors talk about their research for books.
Therefore I read with great pleasure the following two posts over at Anna Castle's blog:






18th century make-up
I'm not interested in nowadays make-up. But I like to see and read about what kind of make-up has been used in former times why. There is an enlightening post about 18th century make-up over at English Historical Fiction Authors:

Make-up in the Eighteenth Century - a fatal attraction.


Old sayings
I like to visit The Public Domain Review again and again  because it is a great place to discover things from the past and especially old books. A few days ago I read with great pleasure


Historical sources
So far I read and reviewed all books by author A. L. Berridge.
The Chevalier Series
So far the series consist of two novels:
- Honour and the Sword (pb, 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043739], my review
- In the Name of the King (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141043746], my review

The Harry Ryder Series
- Into the Valley of Death (May 2012) [ISBN-13: 978-0241954102], my review

She posts regularly over at The History Girls and she likes to share information about the research for her books. Her latest post is about the importance of primary sources. That sounds jejune. I promise you it is just the contrary. The post reads like written with lifeblood:

'From the Horse's Mouth' 
by A L Berridge


A tale of an author
I heard about Beatrix Potter before.  I admit I never read one of her books. Nevertheless I appreciated the following post over at The Public Domain Review which delivers an insight of the woman behind the books.




Three-wheeled microcars
Dark Roasted Blend shows tons of pictures spiced with additional text to give an overview about three-wheeled microcars. Some of them I saw in my youth which reminded me of my age. I enjoyed the post and wallowed in memories.


Behind the scenes at a museum
You may know that museums never have enough space to show all the amazing stuff they own. Tons of things are hidden in the rooms behind the exhibition rooms. It would be a dream come true for me if I could have a look behind the scenes at some museums.
Once a while other people get the opportunity to do that as shown in the following post over at The History Girls:

BEHIND THE SCENES AT THE MUSEUMS 
by Eleanor Updale



What do you get when you mix books, banks and London?
Do you have answers for this question? I will not reveal anything. In order to see the answer to the question you have to visit
I promise you it is worth to visit and to enjoy all these wonderful and marvelous .......  No, I don't tell you. Go and enjoy it yourself. 


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

This week I want to talk about an upcoming RPG. Since we have the opportunity to play PS3 games on a 32" (= 81 cm) screen my wife and I have fun with games like Two Worlds II, Red Dead Redemption and Skyrim, which I played for nearly 120 hours two years ago but never finished.
On 15th of August 2014  Risen 3 Titan Lords  will be released. I admit I do not know the previous Risen games. But I got hooked by the following video feature about Risen 3 Titan Lords .
If the game is as good as shown in the feature, I definitely want to play it. I nearly forgot to mention that the game will be available for PC, Xbox 360 and PS3.


My wife watched the feature too. It must be good because afterwards she told me: "let's preorder the game!"



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Do you think about your age? It seems I do it more often the older I get. The following quote is helpful in the way if you want to check if you reached middle age .........



"Middle age is when you've met so many people that every new person you meet reminds you of someone else.

Ogden Nash, US poet and humorist, 1902 - 1971

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm sure behind the scenes isn't anything like the Night at the Museum movies.
The story behind Brisk Money is amusing.
Some great links today, Edi. Will visit the sword one first.
Enjoy your day at the medieval fair!
And - got my latest manuscript back from test readers this week. Some great suggestions, so I'm revising some scenes before sending to my critique partners. After that, polish again, and send to my publisher - and pray they like it!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
we have had a great day at the medieval fair.

Fingers crossed that your publisher will like your new manuscript.

I'm very happy that yo continue writing and I'm sure that I'm not the only one.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...