Saturday, June 28, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1426

Hello and welcome to issue #1426 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
the first round in the FIFA 2014 World Cup has been finished last Thursday. Germany and USA made it to the second round. Only four more rounds to go until we know the new champion.

I will definitely watch a few games of the second round.

I'm happy that our tomcat reduced his nightly meowing dramatically which is good for him and for us. Now I sleep a lot better.

To my pleasure summer is still on hiatus. That means temperatures around 20 degrees °C (= 68Fahrenheit), cloudy and rain showers.



ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Stealing Artwork
  2. Mr Nicholas Culpeper
  3. Cars with propellers
  4. Babies

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Birthday wish list

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to information

The Lighthouse

I'm happy that I finished a book despite the fact that time for reading is still limited.


I finished


- The Heresy Within (digital, January 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00CCWWTYY] by Rob J. Hayes.
I wrote on GOOREADS:
" Mihir' review over at Fantasy Book Critic inspired to buy a digital copy of this first book in THE TIES THAT BIND trilogy which is a the same time the debut novel of Rob J. Hayes and it is a strong debut!

After reading a third of the book there was no other way out than to buy the rest of the trilogy which I did.

This is a really dark and gritty fantasy novel with strong and impressive characters. Don't expect heroes in golden armour.

For more information I recommend to read Mihir's review over at Fantasy Book Critic.




Only a small progress of 47 pages.



No progress

- 347 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.
177 pages left until the end.


- 222 pages in The City (pb, 2014; first published in 2013) [ISBN: 978-0552168953] by Stella Gemmell
It is not my book of the year but a good epic fantasy. 478 pages left until the end.


- 76 pages in The Yard (hc and digital 2012, pb 2013 [ hc ISBN-13: 978-0399149542; pb ISBN-13: 978-0718159672;Kindle ASIN: B007Z8ZK8M] by Alex Grecian
One more Victorian crime series.So far it is convincing and therefore I bought a copy of the second book in the series.

- 121 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.
The map of the town reminded me of a brain. A book full of ideas. 502 pages until the end.


- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I received just one paperback copy which I ordered in advance.

The Shadow Master (pb, 24th of June 2014) [ISBN: 978-0857665157] by Craig Cormick

"In a land riven with plague, inside the infamous Walled City, two families vie for control: the Medicis with their genius inventor Leonardo; the Lorraines with Galileo, the most brilliant alchemist of his generation.

And when two star-crossed lovers, one from either house, threaten the status quo, a third, shadowy power – one that forever seems a step ahead of all of the familial warring – plots and schemes, and bides its time, ready for the moment to attack...

Assassination; ancient, impossible machines; torture and infamy – just another typical day in paradise." [Source]

Medici, Leonardo, Galileo ... that sounds very Italian. I look forward to read the description of the walled city in order to see if there is a relation to a real world town or not.
Author Craig Cormick talked about The Shadow Master and the sequel which is set in a Venice-like city,  in a guest post over at Fantasy Book Critic.




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...






Stealing Artwork
It happens again and again. There is no respect for artists and their work. I like steampunk a lot and I follow several steampunk blogs. Unfortunately I have a post back log which is the reason why I did not talk about the shamelessly  theft of steampunk art by an app developer.
Read the full story over at the Traveler's Steampunk Blog:

Game developers stealing Steampunk Artwork




Mr Nicholas Culpeper
There are a lot of fantasy novels and fantasy games where herbs play a role. Mr Culpeper worked on the so called medical astrology and he is the author of a famous book about herbs which is still available. That does not sound extraordinary but change immediately with the publishing year of the book: 1653 !
If you would to get to know a bit more about Mr Culpeper then I recommend following post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:
 
Herbalist, astrologer, republican and altruist - meet the talented Mr Culpeper
by Anna Belfrage




Cars with propellers Over at Dark Roasted Blend started a new post series with tons of pictures. Have a look at There is a post series





Babies
I admit that this a somewhat misleading title. In fact I do not want to talk about babies. I would like to take you back in history to the Middle Ages. What do you know about pregnancy in the Middle Ages? I admit I did not have any knowledge about it. Fortunately there are blogs like The History Girls who cover topics which you do not find in the daily newspapers or within social medias.  There a some English 18
SALT AND CRUSHED ROSES - Medieval pregnancy and neonatal care 
 By Elizabeth Chadwick


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Today I do not share a movie trailer with you.
Instead I want to talk about my upcoming birthday next month. Especially I want to talk about the top of my birthday wish list.
The number one on my wish list is a four years old PS3 game!
It is from Rockstar,  the developer of the famous Grand Theft Auto (GTA) series. May daughter played several GTA games. I must say that I was not really interested in the GTA series.
I prefer to walk or to ride like in the game my wife and I currently play. It is another "old" PS3 title:  Two Worlds II
But that is another story.
Le me come back to the game I want:
"America, early 1900's. The era of the cowboy is coming to an end."
This is the beginning of the game description. I'm sure some of you know now the name of the game....


I talk about Red Dead Redemption

I watched reviews and game plays and I'm keen to ride together with John Marston.
This is an epic western game with a breathtaking landscape, amazing characters,  awesome music and a great story. It is like a good old Hollywood western transformed into a video game.

The following three videos should give you an impression.

"7 Things You Should Know About Red Dead Redemption"


Red Dead Redemption Review by IGN


Red Dead Redemption Short Film by John Hillcoat
"The director of The Road and The Proposition, John Hillcoat, brings you an entirely digital Western short film. It uses Rockstar's rich open world in Red Dead Redemption to tell the story of John Marston's struggle in the new American Frontier." [Source]





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

TV, radio , Internet, newspapers and books, they all deliver a cornucopia of information 24 hours a day, seven days a week, 365 days a year. How to cope with this tsunami of information? It is more than a challenge. The following quote is more than 65 years old but still up-to-date ......


"Everybody gets so much information all day long that they lose their common sense.

Gertrude Stein, US author in France, 1874 - 1946

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Game developers stealing artwork - that's just sad.
Hope you get that game for your birthday!
USA lost but still moves forward. We'll see how they and Germany both fare in the next round.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I hope too that I will get the game.
In the meantime Germany reached the semifinal. That will be a hot game vs Brazil next Tuesday but not impossible.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...