Saturday, June 21, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1425

Hello and welcome to issue #1425 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
the FIFA 2014 World Cup is still going on. Tonight I will watch the second game  of the German team. Work keeps me really busy and unfortunately I do not sleep well as our tomcat disturb us with loud and long lasting meow. I hope that will change soon.
Beside that I'm happy that the heat did not return so far.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Buccaneers
  2. Shadowy oil pictures
  3. A villain

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Guardians of the Galaxy

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to motivation

The Lighthouse

I read only 47 pages last week. I was too tired after work.



I finished

no book



I'm

- 157 pages in The Heresy Within (digital, January 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00CCWWTYY] by Rob J. Hayes.
Only a small progress of 47 pages.



No progress

- 347 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.
177 pages left until the end.


- 222 pages in The City (pb, 2014; first published in 2013) [ISBN: 978-0552168953] by Stella Gemmell
It is not my book of the year but a good epic fantasy. 478 pages left until the end.


- 76 pages in The Yard (hc and digital 2012, pb 2013 [ hc ISBN-13: 978-0399149542; pb ISBN-13: 978-0718159672;Kindle ASIN: B007Z8ZK8M] by Alex Grecian
One more Victorian crime series.So far it is convincing and therefore I bought a copy of the second book in the series.

- 121 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.
The map of the town reminded me of a brain. A book full of ideas. 502 pages until the end.


- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books


Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I fed my reader with copies of two digital books which I bought.

 Author Michael J Sullivan is known for his excellent The Riyria Revelations. In April 2014 his first science fiction has been published:

Hollow World (digital 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00FYUUIN0] by Michael J Sullivan
"The future is coming...for some, sooner than others.

Ellis Rogers is an ordinary man who is about to embark on an extraordinary journey. All his life he has played it safe and done the right thing, but when faced with a terminal illness, he’s willing to take an insane gamble. He’s built a time machine in his garage, and if it works, he’ll face a world that challenges his understanding of what it means to be human, what it takes to love, and the cost of paradise. He could find more than a cure for his illness; he might find what everyone has been searching for since time began…but only if he can survive Hollow World.

Welcome to the future and a new sci-fantasy thriller from the bestselling author of The Riyria Revelations." [Source]
Will be interesting to see how the author deals with science fiction instead of fantasy.


Let's have a look at the second book which is a debut novel. From time to time I like to read books set in a dystopian world. The description of Barricade sounded interesting and as the price was cheap, I bought a copy of

Barricade (digital, June 2014) [KINDLE ASIN: B00HRXQ1CY] by Jon Wallace.
"Kenstibec was genetically engineered to build a new world, but the apocalypse forced a career change. These days he drives a taxi instead.

A fast-paced, droll and disturbing novel, BARRICADE is a savage road trip across the dystopian landscape of post- apocalypse Britain; narrated by the cold-blooded yet magnetic antihero, Kenstibec.

Kenstibec is a member of the 'Ficial' race, a breed of merciless super-humans. Their war on humanity has left Britain a wasteland, where Ficials hide in barricaded cities, besieged by tribes of human survivors. Originally optimised for construction, Kenstibec earns his keep as a taxi driver, running any Ficial who will pay from one surrounded city to another.

The trips are always eventful, but this will be his toughest yet. His fare is a narcissistic journalist who's touchy about her luggage. His human guide is constantly plotting to kill him. And that's just the start of his troubles.

On his journey he encounters ten-foot killer rats, a mutant King with a TV fixation, a drug-crazed army, and even the creator of the Ficial race. He also finds time to uncover a terrible plot to destroy his species for good - and humanity too." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...






Buccaneers
I was not aware that there is a difference between buccaneers and pirates. Thanks to following post I found over at the English Historical Fiction Authors I know now a bit more about it. In case you are interested in, have a look at

Buccaneers: How they changed the world forever



Shadowy oil paintings
I'm fascinated by special oil paintings which I found over at  the WebUrbanist. The painting of modern  sky lines in oil-based paint is extraordinary. Have a look at

Gritty City: Dark Oils Capture Essence of Bustling Urbanity




A villain
There a some English 18th century villains who found the way into literature. There is an interesting post about one of them over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:
 
Jack Sheppard, Extraordinary Thief 
by Regina Jeffers




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Sometime ago I shared with you the trailer of the upcoming science fiction adventure Guardians of the Galaxy which showed more funny scenes. Now a second trailer is available which shows that there is more in the movie. Have a look.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I want to read books, I want to write reviews. That means I'm motivated. But I lack the energy to set myself into motion ......


"We know nothing about motivation. All we can of is write books about it.

Peter Drucker, Austrian-born, American, management writer, 1909 - 2005

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Guardians looks like so much fun!
Tell your tom cat if he doesn't stop, you're going to 'fix' the problem. (Unless you already have.)
Now to go look at some cool oil paintings...
Good luck to Germany today!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
fortunately our tom cat changed during last week.

In the meantime Germany and USA reached the second round.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...