Saturday, June 14, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1424

Hello and welcome to issue #1424 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
are you interested in soccer? In case your answer is yes, you will know that the  FIFA 2014 World Cup started on last Thursday in Brazil.
Of course I will watch at least the first three games of the German team.  I know that this will reduce my time for reading but I want to see these games.
Fortunately the temperature dropped and I feel better.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Ancient Chinese Game Boards
  2. Special Glass Loaves
  3. The Winners of the Gemmell Awards 2014

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Z plus AGoT

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to mistakes.

The Lighthouse
I did nor find much time for reading last week. Fortunately there has been a public holiday in Germany on Monday last week which I used to finish a book. It seems I need to reserve two hours per day for reading. Without that there will be not much progress.


I finished

- Ghost in the Machine (digital 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B007U7GQHM] by Ed James
"Detective Constable Scott Cullen of Lothian and Borders has only been three months in CID as a full DC. He is assigned a Missing Persons case which has stretched his uniform colleagues. Caroline Adamson - a young, recently divorced mother from Edinburgh - has disappeared whilst on a date. The more Cullen digs into her disappearance, the more he unravels her private life. Who was she on a date with? What happened during her divorce from Rob Thomson? As Cullen's own private life gets messier and the relationship with his DI deteriorates, Caroline's body turns up and he finds himself hunting for a ghost in the machine. 

Book one of the Scott Cullen series." [Source]


I wrote on GOODREADS:
First in series of the cases of Detective Constable Scott Cullen set in Scotland.
I really liked this police procedural novel. Schoolbook which is the Facebook in Scott Cullen's world and plays an important role.

I will definitely continue to read the series
."


ATTENTION
If you like to read police procedural novels then I recommend to give Ghost in the Machine a try.
You still can get the new digital version for free over at Amazon DE - UK - US
with an new cover




I'm

- 110 pages in The Heresy Within (digital, January 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00CCWWTYY] by Rob J. Hayes.
It is indeed dark and grim and character focussed.



No progress

- 347 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.
177 pages left until the end.


- 222 pages in The City (pb, 2014; first published in 2013) [ISBN: 978-0552168953] by Stella Gemmell
It is not my book of the year but a good epic fantasy. 478 pages left until the end.


- 76 pages in The Yard (hc and digital 2012, pb 2013 [ hc ISBN-13: 978-0399149542; pb ISBN-13: 978-0718159672;Kindle ASIN: B007Z8ZK8M] by Alex Grecian
One more Victorian crime series.So far it is convincing and therefore I bought a copy of the second book in the series.

- 121 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.
The map of the town reminded me of a brain. A book full of ideas. 502 pages until the end.


- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

I fed my reader with copies of three digital books. I bought two of them and got the third one for free.

The first book I bought is the third book in the Scott Cullen series by Ed James.

Fire in the Blood (digital 2013) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00B6RFDX0] by Ed James
"Book 3 in a series of Edinburgh-based police procedurals starring DC Scott Cullen which have been compared favourably with Ian Rankin, Mark Billingham, Christopher Brookmyre, Ed McBain, Elmore Leonard and Stuart MacBride.

Dunpender Distillery in East Lothian is steeped in the traditions of whisky-making. Approaching the distillery's centenary, a special edition is being readied for blending when something unexpected is found - one of the two barrels contains a male human body, battered and unrecognisable.

Detective Constable Scott Cullen, caught up in the maelstrom of managerial positioning surrounding the impending merger of Lothian & Borders into the Scottish Police Service, is sent out east again. Cullen is soon delving into the ancient history of the Crombie family, owners of the distillery, and investigating the disappearances of the owner's son, Iain Crombie, and an employee, Paddy Kavanagh, who both went missing around the time the whisky was distilled. Cullen is soon contending with the skeletons in the closets at the Distillery, DI Bain's desire for a quick collar and too many suspects with plausible motives, and finds himself hunting for a killer with fire in the blood." [Source]

Let's have a look at the second book which is a debut novel which got me with the following line:  "In a city built among the bones of a fallen giant, ..."


Shield and Crocus (pb and dgital, 10th of June 2014) [ISBN: 978-1477823903; KINDLE ASIN: B00HWI5OOK] by Michael R. Underwood.

"In a city built among the bones of a fallen giant, a small group of heroes looks to reclaim their home from the five criminal tyrants who control it. The city of Audec-Hal sits among the bones of a Titan. For decades it has suffered under the dominance of five tyrants, all with their own agendas. Their infighting is nothing, though, compared to the mysterious ?Spark-storms? that alternate between razing the land and bestowing the citizens with wild, unpredictable abilities. It was one of these storms that gave First Sentinel, leader of the revolutionaries known as the Shields of Audec-Hal, power to control the emotional connections between people?a power that cost him the love of his life.

Now, with nothing left to lose, First Sentinel and the Shields are the only resistance against the city's overlords as they strive to free themselves from the clutches of evil. The only thing they have going for them is that the crime lords are fighting each other as well?that is, until the tyrants agree to a summit that will permanently divide the city and cement their rule of Audec-Hal.

It's one thing to take a stand against oppression, but with the odds stacked against the Shields, it's another thing to actually triumph.

In this stunning, original tale of magic and revolution, Michael R. Underwood creates a cityscape that rivals Ambergris and New Crobuzon in its depth and populates it with heroes and villains that will stay with you forever. [Source]
To be honest, after reading "In a city built among the bones of a fallen giant, ..." I knew immediately that I want a copy of this book. What an interesting setting.

I got the digital copy of the third book for free.
The science fiction novel Flight of Icarus (digital, April 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN:  B00J9XE99C] by  Alex Alexander
is the first book in the new Icarus Risen series.  The description did not sound extraordinary but I like to read science fiction from time to time and I like to give unknown authors - let me be more precise, uknown to me -  a try.
"Mankind has spread throughout the galaxy thanks to the development of Slip Stream tech. These large gateways are shortcuts through space time which create the illusion of faster than light travel. Following the last great war, ImperiuM Space is a place of order and predictability, at least for the majority.

To deal with those on the fringes, the Human Empire uses licensed couriers. It’s a benign title for anything ranging from assassin to bounty hunter. Ex-soldier Jubal takes on one final contract as a favor to an old friend. In doing so he must confront his past, which may or may not be his thanks to implanted memories. Unable to protect those closest to him, Jubal teams up with rival Zamera. The two quickly become the hunted as they flee to parts of the galaxy most human never knew existed.

This is the first book in the Icarus Risen series and includes a preview of book 2: Gift of Prometheus." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Ancient Chinese Game Boards
Plying games has a long history in China and Japan. Today we still can have a look at really old game boards as the following post over at t  Dark Roasted Blend demonstrates:

Let's "Go!": Ancient Chinese Game Boards



Special Glass Loaves
I really admire people who adapt old techniques. There is an impressive example shown over at the WebUrbanist


Loaves of Art: Classical Works Revealed in Slices of Glass




The Winners of the Gemmell Awards 2014

Congratulations to

- Jason Chan, who won the Ravenheart Award for best cover art for the cover of Mark Lawrence's Emperor of Thorns



- Brian McClellan,  who won the Morning Star Award for the best debut novel with romise of Blood which is the first book in the Powder Mage Trilogy
Promise of Blood (hc and digital, April 2013) [ISBN-13:  978-0356501994; Amazon Kindle ASIN: B009SS9614 ] by Brian McClellan

"The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it.
It's a bloody business overthrowing a king... Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations, internal attacks by royalist fanatics, and the greedy to scramble for money and power by Tamas's supposed allies: the Church, workers unions, and mercenary forces. It's up to a few...
Stretched to his limit, Tamas is relying heavily on his few remaining powder mages, including the embittered Taniel, a brilliant marksman who also happens to be his estranged son, and Adamat, a retired police inspector whose loyalty is being tested by blackmail.
But when gods are involved... Now, as attacks batter them from within and without, the credulous are whispering about omens of death and destruction. Just old peasant legends about the gods waking to walk the earth. No modern educated man believes that sort of thing. But they should..." [Source]



- Mark Lawrence, who won the Legend Award with Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] which is the final book in the Broken Empire trilogy.
 
For details have a look at the official site and read the post by Mark Lawrence.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

What do you get when you mix Zelda and Games of Thrones together? 
The following video shows the result. It is amazing for everyone who likes Zelda and Games of Thrones like I do.

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

During my holiday I gained weight. Therefore I'm now on a diet. In principle I agree with following quote. Fortunately I drink enough water in form of tea. That helps me to suppress appetite.


"Mistakes are the portals of discovery.

James Joyce, Irish author, 1882 - 1941

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Zelda-Game of Thrones mash up was great!
I'll have to download Shield and Crocus - dig the cover and the synopsis.
Good luck to the German team. The NHL Stanley Cup playoff ended last night here with the Kings winning, and the NBA finals will end very soon as well.
Hope you're having a good weekend!

Zoltán Gecse said...

It's very exhausting to watch football matches in our timezone. Especially the ones which start at midnight.

Germany is one of my favourite teams in this WC, and I hope they'll beat the Portugals today.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
sorry for the delay in my answer. There are things which keep me really busy and our tomcat is annoying because he tries to prevent us from sleep during the night with loud and long lasting meow.
Glad you like the mash up and Shield and Crocus.
Germany won the first game. Tonight I will watch the second game vs Ghana.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

I fully agree that is really exhausting to watch football matches in our time zone. That is the reason why I did not watch many games.
Tonight I will watch the second game vs Ghana.
Fingers crossed ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...