Sunday, June 08, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1423

Hello and welcome to issue #1423 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Dear Readers,
finally I'm back. The break lasted longer as planned.
I feel a lot better compared to the time before my holiday.
I think you can imagine how my mail accounts looked like after my holiday and not to forget the more than 1000 unread blog posts. It spent some evenings last week to read them and to answer the mails will take some time.

This weekend we face temperatures beyond 30 C° (= 86 F). I can't cope will with such temperatures. I get angry and tired.

That is one reason why you get this issue of the Weekend Wave on Sunday instead on Saturday.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
  2. You Rock Award
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A Teaser
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Antique Digital Calculators
  2. Shared Views of Victorian London
  3. Colorful Language

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Witcher 3 Gameplay Trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to water.

The Lighthouse

From the six books of my holiday reading list I did not finish one, finished three and started reading two. Beside that I finished two more books. In sum I read eight books in May.
As expected return to work and hot weather slowed down my reading progress. I admit that the number of books in progress looks confusing. It just reflects my changing moods and my reading depends more and more on my mood. 


I did not finish

Yellow Blue Tibia (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0575083585] by Adam Roberts.
It does not happen that often that I do not finish a book.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I really, really wanted to like this books because the description was promising.
I stopped reading after 87 pages because I did not like the style and I could not really connect with the main characters.
As I did not finish the book, I do not rate this book."

I finished

- WILD CARDS I (pb, 2012; first published in 1987) [ISBN: 978-0765365071] edited by George R.R. Martin
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I must say I liked two thirds of the story. As expected with so many authors the the style and the quality differs from story to story.

It is like a sandbox."



- Frankenstorm (digital, 6th of May 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00G9ABZNQ] by Ray Garton
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"The book did not match my expectations. I really liked the stories of several characters. But the title is totally misleading. The storm plays a minor role."

- The Red Knight (pb, January 2013) [ISBN: 978-0316212281] by Miles Cameron.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is definitely epic fantasy. It may not present totally new tropes but there is much more behind the story as one thinks at first sight. I like the characters and their development.
Anyway one should be aware that there is a lot of fighting in the book- all battle scenes are described in an excellent manner.

I look forward to read the sequel."



- Necessary Evil (pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0356501703] by Ian Tregillis.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" A more than worthy final book to end the Milkweed Triptych.

A book with a stubborn character who is full of love, passion, determination, endurance and will.

The whole series is one of the best alternate history series I read so far."




- The Suicide Exhibition (pb, 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0091955977] by Justin Richards.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I have had expectations and for me this alternate history hit the bulls eye.
Normally I do not read that much WW II and Nazi stories.
But this one is a hit because it is so much more than just the question about who will win the war.
Interesting characters, interesting twist and turns, and, and,...

I can't wait to red the sequel THE BLOOD RED CITY ..."


 
- The Devil's Grin (pb and digital, first in 2012 [ISBN: 978-1481262262; Kindle ASIN: B00B7KGYAW] by Annelie Wendeberg
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" First of all I want to say that this is a short but well written and well executed Sherlock Holmes approach.
From my point of view it is a real challenge to install a new character in the world of Sherlock Holmes.
It is no more longer a secret that the main character Anna Kronberg is a woman in disguise. She is a tough and very intelligent woman on the same level as Holmes.
Nevertheless she is no replacement for Watson.

But there is one thing which hindered me to give five stars. It is difficult for me to find the right words to describe. For me "The Devil's Grin" sounds too modern.
I miss the "Victorian feeling/atmosphere" which I appreciate so much in books like
- "The Devil of Euston Square" by William Sutton
- "The Incendiary's Trail" by James McCreet
- " Mayhem" by Sarah Pinborough
- " Caversham Lock" by Michael Stewart Conway
- " Caversham Road" by Michael Stewart Conway
- " Shadow of the Serpent by David Ashton
- " Dodger" by James Benmore"



I'm

- 347 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.
177 pages left until the end.

- 222 pages in The City (pb, 2014; first published in 2013) [ISBN: 978-0552168953] by Stella Gemmell
It is not my book of the year but a good epic fantasy. 478 pages left until the end.

- 121 pages in Perdido Street Station (pb, 2003; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0345459404] by China Miéville.
The map of the town reminded me of a brain. A book full of ideas. 502 pages until the end.

- 60 pages in The Heresy Within (digital, January 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00CCWWTYY] by Rob J. Hayes.
I read some good reviews and I must say I like the setting, the characters and the atmosphere. I liked it that much that I bought digital copies of the rest of the trilogy.

- 76 pages in The Yard (hc and digital 2012, pb 2013 [ hc ISBN-13: 978-0399149542; pb ISBN-13: 978-0718159672;Kindle ASIN: B007Z8ZK8M] by Alex Grecian
One more Victorian crime series.So far it is convincing and therefore I bought a copy of the second book in the series.


No progress

- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


YOU ROCK AWARD

Something special happened to me during my absence. I received an award!!

Author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh does something special every year:
"Every year, I select a handful of blogger buddies and highlight them. I keep making new friends, so it doesn’t get any easier as the years pass! The people below are very special to me, and I hope you’ll read why and then pay them a visit." [Source]

On 26th of May 2014 he posted his fifth annual You Rock Awards!

And to my surprise .....


"Edi at Edi’s Book Lighthouse

I met Edi four years ago while searching for book bloggers who reviewed science fiction. Not only did he agree to review CassaStar, he posted the most amazing review just before its release. I’d already become a fan of his blog, and from that point onward, we became more than reviewer and author – we became friends. Sometimes you just need someone who ‘gets you’ and understands the heart behind what you write. Edi is that person. We have a lot in common and I always trust his judgment. If we ever get the opportunity to speak in person (he lives in Germany) I know we’d discuss books, movies, ideas, and life well into the night. Edi, honored to be your friend – and to know you by your real name.
Edi, you rock!"[Source]

Thank you so much Alex. I means a lot to me.

 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

In the past weeks I bought a few digital copies

The following two books belong to a series based on an interesting idea and I got the copies for in sum less than one Euro!!!
"Morin's first fantasy series, the Twinborn Trilogy explores the idea that while we sleep, some of us see through the eyes of another version of ourselves in another world. The connection works both ways and allows for transferring knowledge of magic and technology between worlds that might otherwise be unprepared for it." [Source]
Follow these links for more information about the author J.S. Morin and his Twinborn Trilogy.
He follows idea in his new series The Mad Tinker Chronicles. So far two books are available.

Book I
Mad Tinker's Daughter (digital, February 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00IQBW30K] by by J.S. Morin
"The world told her No. She didn’t listen.

Madlin Errol is heiress to the greatest fortune in Tellurak. Her father, the Mad Tinker, has built an empire by crafting devices that no one else in the world could match. Madlin grew up spoiled, given everything she could wish for: the finest tools, all the raw metals she could ask for, and a workshop of her very own. Yet in her sleep, she lives another life, in another world.

Korr...a world where humans are subjugated, working menial jobs or even enslaved. The ruling kuduks treat them like talking animals. In that world, Madlin is known as Rynn, a girl who grew up without her parents, mired in the depths of an underground city, sleeping in a boiler room. But unlike so many of her fellow humans, she has seen a world where there are no limits. She, and a growing number of human rebels, have begun to fight back."[Source]


Book II
Rebel Skyforce (digital, May 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00KI5Z7DM] by J.S. Morin
"They won the battle, but the war has just begun.

After escaping Eversall Deep in what has become known as the Great Slave Revolt, Rynn and her fellow rebels are on the run. In their stolen airships, they must evade airships from nations across Korr as they seek to found a headquarters for the Human Rebellion.

Meanwhile, on Tinker’s Island, Cadmus works to build a new world-ripper from the plans he stole. Can he finish building it before his former owner constructs one of his own? Madlin could be a great aid to him, but she is having enough trouble just getting home, with two troublesome Veydran twinborn in tow.

The result is a tinker’s chess match, played between opponents sitting across worlds from one another. May the best inventor win!" [Source]



As described above I started with one more Victorian crime series. I talk about Alex Grecian's Scotland Yard Murder Squad which consists of three novels and a short story. The fourth book is in progress.

Book I
The Yard (hc and digital 2012, pb 2013 [ hc ISBN-13: 978-0399149542; pb ISBN-13: 978-0718159672;Kindle ASIN: B007Z8ZK8M] by Alex Grecian
"Victorian London is a cesspool of crime, and Scotland Yard has only twelve detectives—known as “The Murder Squad”—to investigate countless murders every month. Created after the Metropolitan Police’s spectacular failure to capture Jack the Ripper, The Murder Squad suffers rampant public contempt. They have failed their citizens. But no one can anticipate the brutal murder of one of their own . . . one of the twelve . . .When Walter Day, the squad’s newest hire, is assigned the case of the murdered detective, he finds a strange ally in the Yard’s first forensic pathologist, Dr. Bernard Kingsley. Together they track the killer, who clearly is not finished with The Murder Squad . . . but why?

Filled with fascinating period detail, and real historical figures, this spectacular debut in a new series showcases the depravity of late Victorian London, the advent of criminology, and introduces a stunning new cast of characters sure to appeal to fans of The Sherlockian and The Alienist. [Source]
There is a book trailer available for


Book II
The Black Country (hc, pb, digital 2013 [ hc ISBN-13: 978-0399159336; pb ISBN-13: 978-1405912495;Kindle ASIN:  B00CQDMX5Y] by Alex Grecian
"Scotland Yard's Murder Squad returns, in the stunning new historical thriller from the author of the acclaimed national best seller The Yard.

The British Midlands. It's called the "Black Country" for a reason. Bad things happen there.

When members of a prominent family disappear from a coal-mining village - and a human eyeball is discovered in a bird's nest - the local constable sends for help from Scotland Yard's new Murder Squad. Fresh off the grisly 1889 murders of The Yard, Inspector Walter Day and Sergeant Nevil Hammersmith respond, but they have no idea what they're about to get into. The villagers have intense, intertwined histories. Everybody bears a secret. Superstitions abound. And the village itself is slowly sinking into the mines beneath it.

Not even the arrival of forensics pioneer Dr. Bernard Kingsley seems to help. In fact, the more the three of them investigate, the more they realize they may never be allowed to leave...." [Source]



Sometimes I takes some time until a book appears on my radar.
London Falling (digital, 2012) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00AER81ZU] by Paul Cornell is one of these books.
"The dark is rising . . . Detective Inspector James Quill is about to complete the drugs bust of his career. Then his prize suspect Rob Toshack is murdered in custody. Furious, Quill pursues the investigation, co-opting intelligence analyst Lisa Ross and undercover cops Costain and Sefton. But nothing about Toshack’s murder is normal.
Toshack had struck a bargain with a vindictive entity, whose occult powers kept Toshack one step ahead of the law – until his luck ran out. Now, the team must find a 'suspect' who can bend space and time and alter memory itself. And they will kill again.
As the group starts to see London’s sinister magic for themselves, they have two choices: panic or use their new abilities. Then they must hunt a terrifying supernatural force the only way they know how: using police methods, equipment and tactics. But they must all learn the rules of this new game - and quickly. More than their lives will depend on it." [Source]
London Falling is the first book in the James Quill series. I'm really interested in if I like the mix of police procedural and urban fantasy elements.


Publisher Gollancz promoted the following book. One could get a cheap digital copy for a certain period of time. A promising description and a good cover in combination with a low price convinced me to order a copy in advance of
In Dark Service (digital, May 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00IXTQ9QY] by Stephen Hunt
"Jacob Carnehan has settled down. He's living a comfortable, quiet life, obeying the law and minding his own business while raising his son Carter ...on those occasions when he isn't having to bail him out of one scrape or another. His days of adventure are - thankfully - long behind him. Carter Carnehan is going out of his mind with boredom. He's bored by his humdrum life, frustrated that his father won't live a little, and longs for the bright lights and excitement of anywhere-but-here. He's longing for an opportunity to escape, and test himself against whatever the world has to offer. Carter is going to get his opportunity. He's caught up in a village fight, kidnapped by slavers and, before he knows it, is swept to another land. A lowly slave, surrounded by technology he doesn't understand, his wish has come true: it's him vs. the world. He can try to escape, he can try to lead his fellow slaves, or he can accept the inevitable and try to make the most of the short, brutal existence remaining to him...unless Jacob gets to him first and, no matter the odds, he intends to. No one kidnaps his son and gets away with it - and if it come to it, he'll force Kings to help him on his way, he'll fight, steal, blackmail and betray his friends in the name of bringing Carter home. Wars will be started. Empires will fall. And the Carnehan family will be reunited, one way or another..." [Source]



Above I told you that I started to read The Heresy Within (digital, January 2014) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00CCWWTYY] by Rob J. Hayes. After reading 60 pages I decided to buy copies of the two remaining books in the The Ties that Bind trilogy.

Book II
The Colour of Vengeance (digital, April 2013) [Kindle edition ASIN: B00CCTFYEO] by Rob J. Hayes
"The Colour of Vengeance is the second book of the debut trilogy, The Ties that Bind by Rob J. Hayes.

Beaten, battered and damned near broken with a bounty on his head so large he’s tempted to turn himself in, the Black Thorn finds himself on trial for the crime of being him. Despite the impending probability of death he has but one thought on his mind; taking revenge against the Arbiter who took his eye.

In order to carry out his vengeance Thorn must first escape Sarth and recruit a new crew, each one with their own designs on revenge." [Source]


Book III
The Price of Faith (Digital, April 2013) [Kindle edition ASIN B00CCVVJVE] by Rob J. Hayes 

"The Price of Faith is the third book of the debut trilogy, The Ties that Bind by Rob J. Hayes.

Separated and miserable, Thanquil Darkheart and Jezzet Vel’urn both have their reasons for wanting to leave the Dragon Empire. Jezzet flees from the wrathful fury of an Empress scorned while accompanied by the ever insidious Drake Morrass and Thanquil sets out to find and judge his one heretical loose end." [Source]







A Teaser
In January 2014 I praised Darkwalker (pb, digital 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0451419989; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00C5QULVK] by E L Tettensor which is the first book in the Nicolas Lenoir series. Now I wait for the sequel.  Master of Plagues should hit the shelves in December 2014.
During my holiday the author posted a first teaser.
"Unraveling a deadly mystery takes time—and his is running out…

Having barely escaped the clutches of the Darkwalker, Inspector Nicolas Lenoir throws himself into his work with a determination he hasn’t known in years. But his legendary skills are about to be put to the test. A horrific disease is ravaging the city—and all signs point to it having been deliberately unleashed.

With a mass murderer on the loose, a rising body count, and every hound in the city on quarantine duty, the streets of Kennian are descending into mayhem, while Lenoir and his partner, Sergeant Bran Kody, are running out of time to catch a killer and find a cure.

Only one ray of hope exists: the nomadic Adali, famed for their arcane healing skills, claim to have a cure. But dark magic comes at a price, one even the dying may be unwilling to pay. All that’s left to Lenoir is a desperate gamble. And when the ashes settle, the city of Kennian will be changed forever…"
For me the teaser sounds very promising!


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Antique Digital Calculators
Isn't the use of the words antique and digital together an oxymoron? Maybe ....   But when you look at following post over at  Dark Roasted Blend, it fits perfectly for the showed items.
Have a look at

Antique Digital Calculators & Other Steampunk Gear



Shared photographs of Victorian London
During my holidays author  Annelie Wendeberg continued to share photographs of Victorian London which she found in a rare book during research for her books. Have a look at

The Queen’s London. A Pictorial and Descriptive Record (Part 3)




Colorful Language
I like to read about the English language and its change during the centuries. There was no wait I out to skip the following post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:

Pudding sleeves, Finger Posts, and Mr. Prunella: A little colorful language for the parson 
by Maria Grace

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I did not find a movie trailer which I would like to share with you.
I remember the time when I had time to play computer and video games. I hope these times will come back. And with trailers like the following one my wish to play is rising.

Attention! There is a lot of blood and violence within the trailer.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

During my holiday I gained weight. Therefore I'm now on a diet. In principle I agree with following quote. Fortunately I drink enough water in form of tea. That helps me to suppress appetite.


"Water is the most neglected nutrient in your diet but one of the most vital.

Kelly Barton, no additional information found

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You Rock award well deserved, my friend!
You got through a lot of books in the past few weeks.
The Yard looks intriguing. Need to pick that one up.
Video trailer looked cool and some good graphics. I guess I play enough RPG and other computer games, I didn't even notice the blood and gore!

divya chirsty said...

Its really looking Different from others and thanks for sharing and thanks for blog..
Web Designing Company Bangalore
Web Development Company Bangalore
Web Design Company Bangalore

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...