Saturday, May 03, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1418

Hello and welcome to issue #1418 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
In one week my wife and I will drive to Usedom and have a well deserved rest.

I look forward to relax in a roofed wicker beach chair at the Baltic Sea coast with a book in my hands like in the following picture from 2011.

That means there will be no Weekend Waves on 18th and 25th of May. I try to prepare something instead.

We go there for the fourth time consecutively. Some may find it boring but for us it is the perfect place to relax and recharge.


Apology  
This is for all my visitors who left a comment in the past weeks. Please apologize that I did not reply so far. I will do that tomorrow, 4th of May 2014.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Holiday reading or to be spoilt for choice
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Laws and rules
  2. Sewing machine
  3. Prostitution in Victorian era

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Murdered: Soul Suspect

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to desert

The Lighthouse

When I take in account my current reading speed I'm more than happy that I finished one more book and continued It seems I'm really lucky with my choice of books. Beside work and the daily necessities it is reading I enjoy. Even I fall so often asleep while reading. It may be crazy to read so many books parallel but it fits perfectly to my changing moods. To my surprise I finished to more great books necessities I finished an awesome book and put my nose into five more books. Reading is my greatest pleasure and I read until I fall asleep.



I finished

- A Red Sun Also Rises (pb, February 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0091950644] by Mark Hodder.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" This is a bit unusual book.
You get a Victorianesque adventure mixed with science fiction and a dash of romance.
Furthermore there is an intelligent story with complex concepts - the name Charles Darwin should give you a hint.

For me it was definitely not a book easy to devour. I needed time to get a real understanding of the concepts behind."



I'm


- 201 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.
This is the first time for me that I read a Victorian crime novel where Karl Marx plays a certain role. Furthermore I admire the amount of work which the author spent for research.
320 pages left until the end.

- 227 pages in  Den of Thieves (July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062021243] by David Chandler.
A progress of nearly 100 pages. Entertaining.
225 pages left until the end. I'm sure I will finish the book before my holiday.

- 250 pages in WILD CARDS I (pb, 2012; first published in 1987) [ISBN: 978-0765365071] edited by George R.R. Martin
A progress of 200 pages is not that bad. Every story delivers a new point of view. I like it.
320 pages left until the end.


No progress


- 51 pages in The Red Knight (pb, January 2013) [ISBN: 978-0316212281] by Miles Cameron.
I will continue reading during holiday


- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.


- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I received three paperback copies, bought one digital copy and got one digital copy for free.

Last year I enjoyed the steampunk novel - Bronze Gods (pb, April 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0425258194] by A A Aguirre. Now I received the second book in the xxx series:
Silver Mirrors (pb, 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-042525820] by A A Aguirre.
"As powerful magic comes creeping back, dangerous days are dawning…...

Criminal Investigation Division inspectors Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko were lucky to make it out of their last mission alive. Since then, strange troubles have plagued the city of steam and shadows, apparently as a result of magic released during the CID inspectors’ desperate interruption of an ancient ritual. The fabric of the world has been unsettled, and the Council has assigned Mikani and Ritsuko to investigate.

They soon discover that matters are worse than they imagined. Machines have developed minds of their own, cragger pirates are raiding the seas with relentless aggression, and mad elementals are running amok. As the chaos builds to a crescendo, Mikani and Ritsuko must fight a war on two fronts—and this time, they may not be able to turn the deadly tide…." [Source]
This is definitely a candidate for my holiday reading list .....



When I read the description of the following book, the excellent Milkweed Triptych series popped up in my mind and I knew I wanted a copy of The Suicide Exhibition (pb, 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0091955977] by Justin Richards.

"WEWELSBURG CASTLE, 1940.

The German war machine has woken an ancient threat - the alien Vril and their Ubermensch have returned. Ultimate Victory in the war for Europe is now within the Nazis' grasp.


ENGLAND, 1941

Foreign Office trouble shooter Guy Pentecross has stumbled into a conspiracy beyond his imagining - a secret war being waged in the shadows against a terrible enemy.

The battle for Europe has just become the war for humanity." [Source]
I hope the first book in the Never War series will be as good as the Milkweed Triptych.



I even did not read the first book in the Legends of the Duskwalker series. Nevertheless I bought the sequel.
Morningside Fall (pb 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0857663658] by Jay Posey
"The lone gunman Three is gone, and Wren is the new governor of the devastated settlement of Morningside, but there is turmoil in the city. When his life is put in danger, Wren is forced to flee Morningside until he and his retinue can determine who can be trusted.

They arrive at the border outpost, Ninestory, only to find it has been infested with Weir in greater numbers than anyone has ever seen. These lost, dangerous creatures are harbouring a terrible secret – one that will have consequences not just for Wren and his comrades, but for the future of what remains of the world." [Source]

I must say at the moment I'm not in the right mood  for the Legends of the Duskwalker series.

I don't think that I will read the first book in the series during my holiday.


Arctic Rising (pb and digital, first in 2012) [ISBN: 978-0765358738; Kindle ASIN:  B005KJJ4QW] by Tobias S Buckell
"Global warming has transformed the Earth, and it's about to get even hotter. The Arctic Ice Cap has all but melted, and the international community is racing desperately to claim the massive amounts of oil beneath the newly accessible ocean.

Anika Duncan is an airship pilot for the underfunded United Nations Polar Guard. Soon Anika finds herself caught up in a plot by a cabal of military agencies and corporations, which goes further than she ever imagined." [Source]


You can get a digital copy at Amazon -  DE - 1,82 EUR, US - 2.52 USD
I do not know how long the offer will be valid.

I bought a copy for several reasons beside the price: Global warming is a hot topic and I like female main characters a lot


Everyday you can find new books - to be precise digital books - for free. For a certain period of time I checked Amazon for free books on a daily base. It is time consuming and I still do not have enough time to read the books I buy. So it was by sheer coincidence that I discovered the following book:
The Devil's Grin (pb and digital, first in 2012 [ISBN: 978-1481262262; Kindle ASIN: B00B7KGYAW] by Annelie Wendeberg
"At the turn of the 19th century, bacteriological research has made a tremendous leap. When epidemics were still untamed and claimed thousands of lives, Pasteur and Koch isolated deadly bacteria to develop vaccines. Biological warfare was but a small step away...

In Victorian London's cesspool of crime and disease, a series of murders remains undiscovered until a cholera victim is found floating in the city's drinking water supply. Dr Anton Kronberg, England's best bacteriologist, is called upon to investigate and finds evidence of abduction and medical maltreatment. While Scotland Yard has little interest in pursuing the case, Kronberg pushes on and crosses paths with Sherlock Holmes. The detective immediately discovers Kronberg's secret - a woman masquerading as a man in order to practice medicine - a criminal deed that could land her in prison for years to come. But both must join forces to stop a crime so monstrous, it outshines Jack the Ripper's deeds in brutality and cold-bloodedness.

Warning: This book contains foul language, non-explicit sex-scenes, explicit dissection scenes, violence, and considerable female power." [Source]
I like Victorian crime novels a lot. It was not the mentioning of Sherlock Holmes which aroused my interest. A female doctor in Victorian England - unthinkable!!
Of course I tried to get more information about the author and the book. To my surprise Annelie Wendeberg is a German self publishing author and The Devil's Grin is the first book in the
"The Kronberg Thriller Series. At the turn of the 19th century, bacteriological research has made a tremendous leap. When epidemics were still untamed and claimed thousands of lives, Pasteur and Koch isolated deadly bacteria to develop vaccines. Biological warfare was but a small step away…" [Source]
There are two more books available. I need to read The Devil's Grin first before I decide to buy copies of the sequels.

In case you are interested in The Devil's Grin too, then I have really good news for you.
You can get a digital copy for FREE
at Amazon (DE, UK, US)
or
in epub format at Smashwords!


Holiday reading or to be spoilt for choice
Every year the same procedure. I want to read as much as possible but the time is limited and I do not want to carry a 20 kilo bag full of books.
Of course I will take my digital reader with me which contains around 500 books. Normally that would be more than enough. For some reasons I'm keen to read real books during my holiday.
A few weeks ago I talked about the possibility to read the five remaining books in the Nightrunner series by Lynn Flewelling. Finally I decided against that option. I want to take books from different authors with me.

Based on my mood I  started to put together the final holiday book list.

The first book
- The Red Knight (pb, January 2013) [ISBN: 978-0316212281] by Miles Cameron.

The second book
- Necessary Evil (pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0356501703] by Ian Tregillis.
This is the third and final book in the excellent Milkweed Triptych series.

The third book
- The Suicide Exhibition (pb, 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0091955977] by Justin Richards.


You will get the rest of the list next Saturday .... It is really, really difficult to decide. Anyway it will by a gut feeling decision .....


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Laws and rules
Germany is a country full of laws, rules and standards. But none of them are as weird as the ones you can find in USA. Have a look at following post over at the WebUrbanist:




Sewing machine
Two years ago I started to sew. I really like it because it is as relaxing as reading for me. I must admit that I did not think about the history of sewing machine until I read following post over at  at  English Historical Fiction Authors:
So you think you can sew, Mr Saint?


Prostitution in Victorian era
I mentioned author Annelie Wendeberg and her books before. I also follow her blog. I like it when authors write about their research for books and Annelie Wendeberg belongs to this kind of authors. The Victorian era was also an era of prostitution and it was dirty and often violent business. Read more about it in the following post by Annelie Wendeberg:
Whores 



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies

Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Time is running. Just two months to go until my birthday. I started to think about a birthday gift because I know it will not take long until I will be asked for wishes.
I must say that  Murdered: Souls Suspect is so far at the top of my list. The following 28 minute video presentation convinced me:

 32 years ago it has been E.T.  who wanted to return home. In the meantime a lot of films returned in form of remakes. Now seems the time has come to present a another I want to go home move with
There are kids and there is an alien. The tricks look better but to be honest I do not like the shaking hand held camera .....

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I would like to stay in this house for a while .....


"I bought a cactus. A week later it died. And I got depressed, because I thought, Damn. I am less nurturing than a desert.

Demetri Martin,in: New York Magazine from 3rd of October 2005

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I could link to you a whole slew of those weird laws!
Is that really you in the photo? Was it cold?
Go, take some books, enjoy, and come back refreshed!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I'm sure that you know tons of such laws.

Yes that's me on the picture taken in 2011. It was not that cold but windy.
I belong to the people who have hot feet and a cold chest. My wife is just the opposite,

Be sure that I will enjoy the time. Today in one week time we will be on Usedom.

Today I have some problems because every blog including my own does not show any pictures. I don't know why. Must have something to do with my browser because it only appears on my laptop.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...