Saturday, April 19, 2014

Hello and welcome to issue #1416 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
The past two days I tried to relax, to ban work from my mind. Despite things which needed to be done at home, I spent most of the time sleeping and reading. I thought that two days would be a fair amount of time to relax. Today is Saturday and I must admit to myself that I need more time. Nevertheless I want to deliver my weekly post as "a sign of life". I'm more than happy that we do not have any Easter commitments. I will use the remaining days (three) until I have to return to work. Until then I will enjoy every minute I can spend for reading. My appetite for books is immense and that is the reason why I started six different books. I need to find out which book fits to my mood.



ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Blood transfusion
  2. History on YouTube
  3. All optical illusions
  4. Ancient engineering failure
  5. eBook publishing in the 21st century

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. X-Men: Days of Future Past

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to a place to stay

The Lighthouse

I finished an awesome book and put my nose into five more books. Reading is my greatest pleasure and I read until I fall asleep.



I finished
- The Violent Century (pb, April 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-1444762891] by Lavie Tidhar.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I'm deeply impressed and emotionally touched.

What makes a man? What makes a hero?
These two questions appear again and again within the story. Fortunately Lavie Tidhar avoided to answer these questions. It is up to the reader to find his/her answer after reading the book.

This is definitely one of the best books I read in 2014 so far."




I'm

- 98 pages in The Coldest War (pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0356501703] by Ian Tregillis.

"For decades, Britain's warlocks have been all that stands between the British Empire and the Soviet Union - a vast domain stretching from the Pacific Ocean to the shores of the English Channel. Now each wizard's death is another blow to Britain's national security.
Meanwhile, a brother and sister - the subjects of a twisted Nazi experiment to imbue ordinary people with superhuman abilities - escape from a top-secret facility deep behind the Iron Curtain. They head for England, because that's where former spy Raybould Marsh lives. And Gretel, the mad seer, has plans for him.
As Marsh is once again drawn into the world of Milkweed, he discovers that Britain's darkest acts didn't end with the war. And while he strives to protect queen and country, he is forced to confront his own willingness to accept victory at any cost." [Source]

This is the second book in the Milkweed Triptych series which started with the excellent Bitter Seeds. The excellent The Violent Century reminded me of the Milkweed Triptych series and I wanted to continue to read about people with superhuman abilities. I liked the first book -   - a lot and had no problems to continue with the second book. And The Coldest War continues the series on a high level.

- 107 pages in Dodger (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-1780874678; Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00ANJW3P8] by James Benmore.
"London, 1850s.

After five years in an Australian penal colony, the Artful Dodger returns to London in search of a hidden fortune. Unaware of the fate that befell Twist, Fagin and Sikes, Dodger revisits the criminal underworld of Dickensian London to seek out his old comrades, any of whom might possess the key to the treasure.

He finds the city a changed place from his youth: with law and order upheld by a new police force, Fagin gone to the gallows, his old gang scattered and danger around every corner." [Source]
I bought the copy end of 2013. I do not remember why I decided to have a look at it now.
So far it is a great read. I devoured the first hundred pages within today. I like the writing style a lot.



- 68 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.


"Murder. Vice. Pollution. Delays on the Tube. Some things never change…

London 1859-62. A time of great exhibitions, foreign conquests and underground trains. But the era of Victorian marvels is also the time of the Great Stink. With cholera and depravity never far from the headlines, it’s not only the sewers that smell bad. Novice detective, Campbell Lawless, stumbles onto the trail of Berwick Skelton, an elusive revolutionary, seemingly determined to bring London to its knees through a series of devilish acts of terrorism.

But cast into a lethal, intoxicating world of music hall hoofers, industrial sabotage and royal scandal, will Lawless survive long enough to capture this underworld nemesis, before he unleashes his final vengeance on a society he wants wiped from the face of the Earth?

Lawless & The Devil of Euston Square is the first of a series of historical thrillers by William Sutton set during the mid-nineteenth century, featuring Metropolitan policeman, Campbell Lawless, aka the Watchman, on his rise through the ranks and his initiation as a spy.

Before Holmes, there was Lawless…

Before Campbell Lawless, the London streets weren’t safe to walk…"[Source]
 I think it is impossible for me to start a bunch of books without at least one set in the Victorian era. So far I like especially the description of London in 1859/60. The author does not whitewash the state of things in the poor quarters of London.. Despite that it is quite interesting to follow the former clockmaker's apprentice Campbell Lawless in his new job as a novice detective.


- 60 pages in A Red Sun Also Rises (pb, February 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0091950644] by Mark Hodder.
"A man without faith.
A woman without hope.

My name is Aiden Fleischer, and today my assistant and I awoke on another planet.

On Ptallaya, we were welcomed by the Yatsill. The creatures transform their society into a bizarre version of our own, and we find a new home beneath the world's twin suns.

But there is darkness in my soul, and as the two yellow globes set ...

A RED SUN ALSO RISES

... and with it comes an evil more horrifying than any on Earth."[Source= Back of the book]
I have been fascinated by the book from the first time I read about it. First published in 2012 I had to wait two years until the release of the paperback as I do not buy hardcover.

It is as imaginative as I expected.......



- 135 pages in  Den of Thieves (July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062021243] by David Chandler.
"Croy is a knight errant, and bearer of an ancient blade with a powerful destiny. He′s also kind of, well, dim. He believes in honour and he believes that people are fundamentally good. Unfortunately, Croy lives in the city of Ness, a thriving medieval city of fifty thousand people, none of whom are fundamentally even decent, and who will gleefully stab you in the back ... if you give them a chance.

Ness is also the home to Malden. Malden is a thief. He lives by his wits, disarming cunning traps, sneaking past sleeping guards, and running away very fast whenever people are trying to kill him. Which is often. One time Malden stole a crown. And then he had to steal it back to avoid a civil war. Croy got the credit, of course, because he′s a noble knight. Another time the two of them went into the tomb of an ancient warrior race, and Croy accidentally started a barbarian invasion. Guess who had to clean that up?

They probably wouldn′t be friends at all if it wasn′t for Cythera. Cythera is a witch. A mostly-good witch. And despite herself she can′t stop thieves and knights falling in love with her ... At the same time." [Source]
 The Ancient Blades trilogy has been published in 2011. I own copies of all three books which dusted in the back of a shelf. I thought it would be a good idea to read a more traditional fantasy series. So far the story did not disappoint me.



- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.




No progress


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I received no book.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Blood Transfusion
Do you know when the first blood transfusion involving a human has been performed in England?
Make an educated guess.
1900? No!
1800? No!
1700? No!
It happened in 1667! Incredible!!
Read the details over at The Public Domain Review


History on YouTube
Of course you you know hat you can find historical videos on YouTube. But now you can view additional 85,0000 historic films spanning the years from 1896 to 1976!
The film archive British Pathé has uploaded its entire collection to
 its YouTube channel.
I hope to find some time for discovery soon.


Optical Illusions
In the past weeks I shared with you the links to the awesome optical illusions post series over at Dark Roasted Blend. In case you missed a link you should use the following one which delivers the links to all six posts at once.




Ancient engineering failure
Engineering failures in the past happened often due to lacking knowledge or insufficient material. The WebUrbanist collected a dozen of these historical engineering failure. I'm sure most of them are not unknown to you. Have a look at
Ancient Engineering Fail: 12 Historic Structural Disasters

 eBook publishing in the 21st century
 Author and friend of the blog Rosalie Skinner put together a most informative post about eBook publishing base on her own experience. This is an informative post for authors AND readers.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Since a few days I know which movie I want to see end of May 2014:
I like the story and the trailer promise a lot of action ......



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I would like to stay in this house for a while .....


"His house was perfect, whether you liked food, or sleep, or work, or story-telling, or singing, or just sitting and thinking, best, or a pleasant mixture of them all.

J. R. R. Tolkien, 1892 - 1973, The Hobbit

20 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

1667? Whoa! I had no idea it had happened that long ago.
Really looking forward to the next X-Men movie.

Cathrina Constantine said...

Nice to meet you Edi. I'm also looking forward to the new X-Men movie.

Sherry Ellis said...

Reading is something I enjoy, too. Nothing like a good book!

Jennifer Chandler said...

Hi Edi!
I found you thanks to Alex's post today. Nice to meet you!

What a WONDERFUL list of books! Now I have to go brace my TBR pile. It's about to topple over already! If I add any more it could be devastating :)

Cheers,
Jen

Elsie Amata said...

Hi Edi,

Another visitor from Alex's blog. (Be ready for that!) As soon as I read you're in Germany, I had to swing by. I lived there for three years. Hahn AB. Loved it!!

I give you tons of kudos for being able to read six books at once. I think I'm great for reading three at a time. Nice to meet you!

Elsie
AJ's wHooligan in the A-Z Challenge

kmckendry said...

I start a couple books at a time too and read them based on my mood. Looks like you've found some really good ones. I think I'll have to add the Violent Century to my TBR list.

Tyrean Martinson said...

Wow! I love your reading shelf! It sounds chock full of exciting and adventurous reads. Dodger sounds intriguing to me, just because I like Oliver Twist, and I think it would be fun to see Dodger's possibly future/present.
And superhuman abilities in The Coldest War . . . sounds interesting, and the last one about the Thief ... sounds fun and humorous.
Thanks for the review/previews.

Rachna Chhabria said...

Hi Edi,nice to meet you. Visiting you from Alex's blog.

I too am like you. I start atleast three different books to see which suits my mood at the current time.

Cathy Olliffe-Webster said...

Waving back atcha! Found you through your good friend Alex's blog. He thinks the world of you and if Alex thinks the world of someone, that person must be great!

Deniz Bevan said...

Wow, that's really early for a blood transfusion!
Meeting you through Alex's blog, hi!
I was just wondering, did you ever get around to reading the Scalzi books? I enjoy them quite a bit.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
please apologize the delay in my answer.

Sometimes it is really surprising what our ancestors have been capable of.

And once more (I can't repeat it often enough) for your heartfelt post.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Cathrina Constantine,
please apologize the delay in my answer. Nice to meet you and thank you very much for stopping by.


ediFanoB said...

Hello Sherry Ellis,
please apolgze the delay in my answer.
Nice to meet you and thank you very much for stopping by.

I admit I'm a book addict. A life without books is unthinkable.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Jennifer Chandler,
please apologize the delay in my answer.
Nice to meet you and thank you very much for stopping by.

From my experience I say thatTBR piles are always under construction :-)
To visit other blogs are always dangerous for TBR piles.

Glad to read that you found some interesting books.
Sometimes I'm not sure if I can read all the books I like until the end of my life.
Nevertheless I enjoy every minute I can spend for reading.

Cheers,
Edi

ediFanoB said...

Hello Elsie Amata,
please apologize the delay in my answer.
Nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by.

I live near Frankfurt, only 100 KM away from Hahn AB.

To read several books parallel is not that difficult as long as the books differ from each other. I'm not able to read six epic fantasy novels parallel. I like to have a mix of epic fantasy, steampunk, alternate history, Victorian and medieval mystery and crime stories and science fiction.
I read books parallel because of changing moods.That means I do not read 15 pages of each book per day.

To be honest I know a lot of people who read one book after the other and that is fine.
It is great that we have no rules for reading books.

Enjoy reading!

ediFanoB said...

Hello kmckendry,
please apologize the delay in my answer.
Nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by.

Seems we have similar reading habits. Mood is really important for enjoying books.

This year I'm really happy with my choice of books.

The Violent Century is an extraordinary book. I liked it a lot and have been impressed.
BUT as we are all different people we do not like every book.

I hope you will enjoy The Violent Century as much as I did.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Tyrean Martinson said...
please apologize the delay in my answer.
Thank you for stopping by. We are friends over at GOODREADS and you recommended books to me. I read and liked one of your recommendations recently. I talk about the well executed Dragonfly Warrior by Jay Noel.
Sometimes the world is small ... :-)

I finished Dodger in the meantime and from my point of view the author did a good job. Hope you will like it.

The Coldest War is the second book of a trilogy. If you are interested in then I highly recommend to start with Bitter Seeds which is the first book.

Den of Thieves is indeed a book with humor and has nothing in common with the grim dark fantasy.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rachna Chhabria,
please apologize the delay in my answer. Nice to meet you too and thank you for stopping by.
There are more people who start several books at once and continue depending on the mood as one thinks.

Every book should be read in the mood it deserves.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Cathy Olliffe-Webster,
please apologize the delay in my answer. Nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by.

Even we never met in person, Alex and I have an intense virtual relationship. He is such an awesome and kind guy.

Thank you for your kind words.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Deniz Bevan,
please apologize the delay in my answer. Nice to meet you and thank you for stopping by.

Our ancestors are always good for a surprise.

So far I read one book by John Scalzi: REDSHIRTS
It has not been my book of the year but it was a light and fun read.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...