Saturday, April 26, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1417


Hello and welcome to issue #1417 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I have had several days off around Easter. I spent most of the time reading and sleeping. Anyway they three working days last week proofed that I need more time plus absence of work, computer, phone, tasks and noise in order to get back my missing mental vigor. I feel like a shadow of myself. In two weeks time my wife and I will enjoy for two weeks the Baltic Sea coast. I hope I will return in a good shape. Until then you will get three issues of the Weekend Wave including this one. Furthermore I hope to deliver a review which I promised to deliver on 10th of April.
It is impossible to write a review when the words get lost between brain and fingers ....
But there is light in the dark.

A heartfelt thank you goes to author and friend of the blog  Alex J. Cavanaugh for his touching words in his post on 23rd of April 2014
So far there was no opportunity to meet in person. But we developed a strong virtual relationship which I was not sure that it would be possible. Thank you!

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. More "city books"
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A hidden gem and a place to calm down in London
  2. A green park in the desert
  3. Do not forget the knowledge of our ancestors
  4. Learn from the past
  5. The roots of English Architecture
  6. Alcohol in China
  7. Discover Dieselpunk

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Earth to Echo

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to noise

The Lighthouse

It seems I'm really lucky with my choice of books. Beside work and the daily necessities it is reading I enjoy. Even I fall so often asleep while reading. It may be crazy to read so many books parallel but it fits perfectly to my changing moods. To my surprise I finished to more great books necessities I finished an awesome book and put my nose into five more books. Reading is my greatest pleasure and I read until I fall asleep.



I finished
- The Coldest War (pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-0356501703] by Ian Tregillis.
This book belongs definitely to my 2014 top ten reads.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" What an extraordinary book!
Sometimes one read about the so called middle book syndrome when it comes to the second book of a trilogy.
But that is nothing that THE COLDEST WAR suffer from. On the contrary!

Great story and excellent characters and a totally surprising end!!

Can't wait to read the third and final book of the trilogy."


- Dodger (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-1780874678; Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00ANJW3P8] by James Benmore.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" It is always a risk to use characters and/or settings from famous authors.

The Artful Dodger is a well known character who appeared in "Oliver Twist" by Charles Dickens.

What happened to him? There was no answer from Charles Dickens.

Fortunately there is "Dodger" by James Benmore.

After reading the book I'm more than happy that James Benmore took the risk to continue the story of the Artful Dodger after the events described in "Oliver Twist".

The result is an excellent book. I was a great pleasure to read "Dodger". The author hit the bull's eye. Extraordinary good description of Victorian London combined with emotional characters and a story with twist and turns.

I was not aware that there will be a second book starring the Artful Dodger.
Now I look forward to end of Mai 2014 when "Dodger of the Dials" will be released."




I'm

- 131 pages in Lawless And The Devil of Euston Square (pb 2013; first published in 2006 with title The Worms of Euston Square ) [ISBN-13: 978-1909223257] by William Sutton.
A well executed Vicotrian crime fiction which shows that speed and action is not always necessary to deliver a good story. I like all the background information about Victorian London and society. The main character Campbell Lawless develops from page to page and it is good to see that he is no copy of Sherlock Holmes.



- 146 pages in A Red Sun Also Rises (pb, February 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0091950644] by Mark Hodder.
I'm halfway through this book full of wonderful ideas.



- 51 pages in The Red Knight (pb, January 2013) [ISBN: 978-0316212281] by Miles Cameron.
"Twenty eight florins a month is a huge price to pay, for a man to stand between you and the Wild.
Twenty eight florins a month is nowhere near enough when a wyvern's jaws snap shut on your helmet in the hot stink of battle, and the beast starts to rip the head from your shoulders. But if standing and fighting is hard, leading a company of men - or worse, a company of mercenaries - against the smart, deadly creatures of the Wild is even harder.
It takes all the advantages of birth, training, and the luck of the devil to do it.
The Red Knight has all three, he has youth on his side, and he's determined to turn a profit. So when he hires his company out to protect an Abbess and her nunnery, it's just another job. The abby is rich, the nuns are pretty and the monster preying on them is nothing he can't deal with. Only it's not just a job. It's going to be a war. . . " [Source]

This is the first book in the The Traitor Son Cycle and at first sight it looks like a story which delivers nothing new under the sun. But there is something which draws me more and more into the story from page to page ......



- 51 pages in WILD CARDS I (pb, 2012; first published in 1987) [ISBN: 978-0765365071] edited by George R.R. Martin
"The first volume of George R. R. Martin's WILD CARDS shared-world series, back in print after a decade—and expanded with new, original material.

There is a secret history of the world—a history in which an alien virus struck the Earth in the aftermath of World War II, endowing a handful of survivors with extraordinary powers. Some were called Aces—those with superhuman mental and physical abilities. Others were termed Jokers—cursed with bizarre mental or physical disabilities. Some turned their talents to the service of humanity. Others used their powers for evil. Wild Cards is their story.

Originally published in 1987, Wild Cards I includes powerful tales by Roger Zelazny, Walter Jon Williams, Howard Waldrop, Lewis Shiner, and George R. R. Martin himself. And this new, expanded edition contains further original tales set at the beginning of the Wild Cards universe, by eminent new writers like Hugo–winner David Levine, noted screenwriter and novelist Michael Cassutt, and New York Times bestseller Carrie Vaughn." [Source]
To be honest I do not know why I hesitated so many years to put my nose into the first book of the series. When the rest of the book is  as good as the prologue and the first two stories, I will definitely read more WILD CARDS books.



No progress

- 135 pages in  Den of Thieves (July 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062021243] by David Chandler.


- 92 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Again small progress. I slowed down my reading speed in order not to miss important things.



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last week I received two paperback copies.

The first one I mentioned above. It is
WILD CARDS I (pb, 2012; first published in 1987) [ISBN: 978-0765365071] edited by George R.R. Martin

The second one is epic fantasy set in an ancient city ... From time to time I like stories which focus on a restricted area.

The City (pb, 2014; first published in 2013) [ISBN: 978-0552168953] by Stella Gemmell

"The City is ancient and vast and has been waging almost constant war for centuries. At its heart resides the emperor. Few have ever seen him. Those who have remember a man in his prime - and yet he should be very old. Some speculate that he is no longer human, others wonder if indeed he ever truly was. And a few have come to a desperate conclusion: that the only way to halt the emperor's unslakebale thirst for war is to end his unnaturally long life.

From the crumbling catacombs beneath the City where the poor struggle to stay alive to the blood-soaked fields of battle where so few heroes survive, these rebels emerge. Their hopes rest on one man. A man who was once the emperor's foremost general - a revered soldier who could lead an uprising and iliberate a city, a man who was betrayed, imprisoned, tortured and is now believed to be dead... [Source]

More "city books"
Dear readers, do you like books who are set in one town instead of a continent or a world?
Beside The City by Stella Gemmell I ordered four more books which take place in cities. They all will be released in June and July 2014 and in January 2015. I show you the books in the release order.


Shield and Crocus (pb and dgital, 10th of June 2014) [ISBN: 978-1477823903; KINDLE ASIN: B00HWI5OOK] by Michael R. Underwood.
"In a city built among the bones of a fallen giant, a small group of heroes looks to reclaim their home from the five criminal tyrants who control it. The city of Audec-Hal sits among the bones of a Titan. For decades it has suffered under the dominance of five tyrants, all with their own agendas. Their infighting is nothing, though, compared to the mysterious ?Spark-storms? that alternate between razing the land and bestowing the citizens with wild, unpredictable abilities. It was one of these storms that gave First Sentinel, leader of the revolutionaries known as the Shields of Audec-Hal, power to control the emotional connections between people?a power that cost him the love of his life.

Now, with nothing left to lose, First Sentinel and the Shields are the only resistance against the city's overlords as they strive to free themselves from the clutches of evil. The only thing they have going for them is that the crime lords are fighting each other as well?that is, until the tyrants agree to a summit that will permanently divide the city and cement their rule of Audec-Hal.

It's one thing to take a stand against oppression, but with the odds stacked against the Shields, it's another thing to actually triumph.

In this stunning, original tale of magic and revolution, Michael R. Underwood creates a cityscape that rivals Ambergris and New Crobuzon in its depth and populates it with heroes and villains that will stay with you forever. [Source]
To be honest, after reading "In a city built among the bones of a fallen giant, ..." I knew immediately that I want a copy of this book. What an interesting setting.



The Shadow Master (pb, 24th of June 2014) [ISBN: 978-0857665157] by Craig Cormick
"In a land riven with plague, inside the infamous Walled City, two families vie for control: the Medicis with their genius inventor Leonardo; the Lorraines with Galileo, the most brilliant alchemist of his generation.

And when two star-crossed lovers, one from either house, threaten the status quo, a third, shadowy power – one that forever seems a step ahead of all of the familial warring – plots and schemes, and bides its time, ready for the moment to attack...

Assassination; ancient, impossible machines; torture and infamy – just another typical day in paradise." [Source]

Medici, Leonardo, Galileo ... that sounds very Italian. I look forward to read the description of the walled city in order to see if there is a relation to a real world town or not.



With next book we go underground.
The Buried Life (pb, 29th of July 2014) [ISBN: 978-0857665218] by Carrie Patel
"The gaslight and shadows of the underground city of Recoletta hide secrets and lies. When Inspector Liesl Malone investigates the murder of a renowned historian, she finds herself stonewalled by the all-powerful Directorate of Preservation – Ricoletta’s top-secret historical research facility.

When a second high-profile murder threatens the very fabric of city society, Malone and her rookie partner Rafe Sundar must tread carefully, lest they fall victim to not only the criminals they seek, but the government which purports to protect them. Knowledge is power, and power must be preserved at all costs…" [Source]





An underground city with gaslight - what will be the model for the town? London, Paris or .. ? - and a female inspector sounds interesting. I hope the first book starring Inspector Liesl Malone will be a good one because the sequel will be published beginning of January 2015.


Cities and Thrones (pb, 29th of July 2014) [ISBN: 978-0857665218] by Carrie Patel
"In the fantastical, gaslit underground city of Recolleta, Oligarchs from foreign states and revolutionaries from the farming communes vie for power in the wake of the city’s coup. The dark, forbidden knowledge of how the city came to be founded has been released into the world for all to read, and now someone must pay.

Inspector Liesl Malone is on her toes, trying to keep the peace, and Arnault’s spy ring is more active than ever. Has the city’s increased access to knowledge put the citizens in even more danger? Allegiances change, long-held beliefs are adjusted, and things are about to get messy." [Source]

So there will more than just the city. Are the foreign states and the farming communes also located underground?



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


A hidden gem and a place to calm down in London
If you want to know more about London then I recommend to follow the high quality blog Ian Visits. He knows his town very well and is up to date. There are several buildings and places I want to visit with my wife in 2016 based on Ian's recommendation. Maybe you would like to visit the following building described in


A green park in the desert
I like to see visions of architects which have nothing in common with megalomaniac dreams. You will know what I mean when you have a look at following post over at the WebUrbanist:




Do not forget the knowledge of our ancestors
It seems the more information are available the less people are interested in where information has been derived from. I admire our ancestors who collected information and discovered the world. Go to The Public Domain Review and have a look at
This is a great example to present information to people with different linguistic background.




Learn from the past
Despite all the admiration of the work of our ancestors we should not forget that they have not been free of failure. Arrogance and ignorance will never die.
The WebUrbanist put together


The roots of English Architecture
I think one can't deny that our knowledge about architecture in the past has also an impact on architecture in fantasy books. Of course not every reader and author has an university degree in architecture. And of course not everyone is interested in architecture. But in case you belong to the group of readers who like to get an introduction into English Architecture, I recommend a post series over at  English Historical Fiction Authors:
Early English Architecture - Part One 
by Octavia Randolph


Alcohol in China
We do not get much information about things that happen in China which have not been filtered by authorities before. It seems understandable from government point of view when you read following post over at CHINAHUSH:


Discover Dieselpunk
There is a perfect but limited opportunity to dive into the world of .  You want to know more about Dieselpunk. Head over to Steampunk News in order to grab a free eBook:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

32 years ago it has been E.T.  who wanted to return home. In the meantime a lot of films returned in form of remakes. Now seems the time has come to present a another I want to go home move with
There are kids and there is an alien. The tricks look better but to be honest I do not like the shaking hand held camera .....

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I would like to stay in this house for a while .....


"The amount of noise which anyone can bear undisturbed stands in inverse proportion to his mental capacity.

Arthur Schopenhauer,German philosopher, 1788 - 1860

5 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Some great sounding books this week. Glad the Coldest War was such a good read.
The desert oasis is an interesting concept. Be cool if someone built it.
And happy to feature you! One day we will meet my friend.

Rosalie Skinner said...

hi Edi,
Alex says it well.
I have to agree with him. Chancing across your blog. It has been a wonderful way to discover a great friend.

This weekend I have been away on a three day weekend with several other writers. We attended a 'Grassroots Writers' Gathering' with around sixty other writers.
It was inspiring to meet real people, hear their stories, and share information.
Those who had something to share took workshops. It was great way to give and get ideas on how to write, polish and publish.
Came home inspired.

After reading your blog, though, I feel more like grabbing a book to read rather than trying to write. :) Could be the weather is getting colder. Thanks for the heads up on another stack of books I want to read. :) Raining outside today, seems like a day for reading.

Enjoy your time away. I hope you return refreshed.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
there are so many good books available. It is a kind of art to find them :-)

Yes, one day we will meet us.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

glad to read that you enjoyed your writer workshop. Always good to share experience and exchange concepts and ideas.

Every week I find more interesting books and at the moment I wish I could spend the whole day for reading.
But I will not complain. Today I managed to read 200 pages. Can't remember when that happened last time.

I'm sure my wife an I will enjoy the time away and to be honest If I do not return refreshed then something went wrong...

Oathsworn said...

Hello Edi

I hope you are enjoying you holidays.
"The Red Knight" is really good. I had the pleasure to listen to it whilst I drove to work.
Btw Miles Cameron normally write as Christian Cameron and has quite a lot of good historical fiction novels.

Best
Oathsworn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...