Saturday, April 05, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1414


Hello and welcome to issue #1414 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I'm as tired as the sky is gray outside. No manic traces like last week. Nevertheless I cleaned the kitchen in the morning. Seems the is my new part in sharing housework. Later on I tried to explain to my daughter how to repair a bicycle inner tube. I long for my days off in two weeks time. I need some rest in order to avoid situations like yesterday evening when I fell in sleep again in front of my laptop. This time I was not  that lucky. I hit the wrong button and with this action I marked all  my unread blog post in my Bamboo Reader as read!  Now I have to check blog by blog in order to see which posts I wanted to read.
Tomorrow my wife and I will visit following exhibition together with some friends.

ESPRIT MONTMARTRE. Bohemian Life in Paris around 1900


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress

Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Binbineqegabenik
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Modern Day Boxing
  2. House hunting
  3. Optical Illusions Part 5
  4. An extraordinary cafe 

Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Jupiter Ascending

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to lie

The Lighthouse

I read around 345 pages last week. It was not enough to finish two books. Anyway I'm happy with the progress and with each page my love for the Malazan Book of the Fallen series grows. I could not resist to start the third book in the series


I finished

- 676 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2001) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
Excellent!

I'm


- 700 pages in Arcanum (digital 2013) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00DI7HKHS] by Simon Morden
Just 78 pages left. I can't imagine that the story will end with the end of the book.

- 40 pages in Memories of Ice (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348807] by Steven Erikson
Excellent!

No progress


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I received just a paperback copy of  the seventh and the last for now Nightrunner book - Shards of Time (pb, April 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0345522313] (digital April 2014)  [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FO5YFUM] by Lynn Flewelling.
"Acclaimed author Lynn Flewelling brings her beloved Nightrunners series to a close—at least for now—with a thrilling novel of murder, mystery, and magic.

The governor of the sacred island of Korous and his mistress have been killed inside a locked and guarded room. The sole witnesses to the crime—guards who broke down the doors, hearing the screams from within—have gone mad with terror, babbling about ghosts . . . and things worse than ghosts.

Dispatched to Korous by the queen, master spies Alec and Seregil find all the excitement and danger they could want—and more. For an ancient evil has been awakened there, a great power that will not rest until it has escaped its otherworldly prison and taken revenge on all that lives. And only those like Alec—who have died and returned to life—can step between the worlds and confront the killer . . . even if it means a second and all too permanent death." [Source]
To read the for me remaining five books during my holiday in May is one of the options I have in mind. But I'm quite sure that it will be impossible for me to read five books with in sum  2332 pages in twelve days. That would mean to read 195 pages per day.  With a reading speed of 35 pages per hour I would have to spend nearly six hours per day for reading ....


Binbineqegabenik
This is the name of one of the main characters in one of my favorite fantasy series: Memory, Sorrow and Thorn by Tad Williams. And now after more than 25 years he returns to the world of Osten Ard.

This is the message from the author's blog:
"From Tad: THE LAST KING OF OSTEN ARD
I guess the cat has been debagged.
Several of you have seen and shared the news that, yes, I am returning to Osten Ard for a series of books called (collectively) “The Last King of Osten Ard”. It will feature many of the same characters a generation later (and many new ones as well). The book titles will be (as of now):

The Witchwood Crown
Empire of Grass
The Navigator’s Children

This is assuming I don’t do my normal try-to-squeeze-two-books-into-the-last-volume trick.
I haven’t gone back to my old worlds very often, precisely because I never wanted to be doing so simply to be doing it. (That’s called “franchising” and I don’t like it much, personally.) I always said, “If a story ever comes to me that wants to be written, then yes, I’ll consider it.” And it finally did. In fact, it sprang out of a conversation with wife Deborah Beale late last spring, and it’s been coming together for most of a year now, so we kept it secret pretty long.
I believe I can now write a story worthy of those much-loved settings and characters, one that people who haven’t read the originals can enjoy, but which will of course mean more to those who know the original work. More than that, I feel I can do something that will stand up to the best books in our field. I have very high hopes. I’m excited by the challenge. And I’ll do my absolute best to make all the kind responses I’ve already had justified.
-Tad"

Such wonderful news. Whenever the first book will be published, I will drop my current read as soon as I can grab a copy!


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Modern Day Boxing
What do you know about the invention of modern day boxing? We have to go back in history for nearly 300 years! There is an enlightening and not to long post over at the English Historical Fiction Authors:


House hunting
This is nothing new. Do you have any idea how house hunting worked in Edwardian London? In case you would like to know more I recommend following post over at the Edwardian Promenade:



Optical Illusions Part 5
I assume there are many people who are fascinated by optical illusions. This must be one of the reasons why Dark Roasted Blend continues the optical illusions post series with part 5 which is as good as the previous four ones. Go and enjoy





An extraordinary cafe
If you ever should get the opportunity to go to South Korea, then you should visit the following cafe. It is not famous for its coffee. It is the the shape which makes it unique. Thanks to WebUrbanist for

Camera-Shaped Cafe Offers Picture-Perfect Cups of Coffee


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I really liked Captain America 2: The Return of the First Avenger. I must say I would like to see a  Natasha Romanoff/ Black Widow solo movie. When everything goes well my wife and I will see Snowpiercer next Tuesday.
Now I know which movie I want to see in July.
"In the future, a young destitute human woman gets targeted for assassination by the Queen of the Universe, and begins her destiny to finish the Queen's reign." 
This is the IMDB summary. You need to see the trailer in order to get a hint about what to expect. Seems one can expect a lot of action.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I 'm not sure about following quote. We lie around 200 times per day. It starts often in the morning with a "Good morning", which is most of the time not true. When I enter the office I just say "Morning" and I imploringly hope that none of my colleagues ask me "How do you do?". I do not want to start my working day with a lie .......


"Any fool can tell the truth, but it requires a man of some sense to know how to lie well.

Samuel Butler, English composer and novelist, 1835 - 1902

2 comments:

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
Two weeks off! I have had one week away and returned to a hectic weekend of charity work. Exhausted now.
I think falling asleep is on the cards.

Still you have managed an interesting post. I saw Snowpiercer the other night. Was a little disappointed. Found myself asking too many questions about maintenance and safety issues. A high speed train travelling continually for years, without any maintenance? The wheels alone would need replacing or checking. As for the food supply...
Sides of beef and lamb...Where did they come from?
Sadly, my disbelief outweighed my imagination. That's just me though. hmm.

I remember my Dad teaching me to change an inner-tube. Great memories. :)

I hope you enjoy your time off.
Happy reading. Happy napping!

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
please apologize the delay in my answer.

I watched Snowpiercer together with my wife and like you we have had questions. But in the end there have only a few question left unanswered. The whole train is a closed and totally balanced ecological system. A life given force a life taken and so on.

Every day of is welcomed. But I think I need a longer period of time to relax and recharge.

I hope you enjoyed your one week away.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...