Saturday, March 29, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1413

Hello and welcome to issue #1413 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
It seems I'm a bit manic today. I woke up early in the morning as always and then I cleaned the kitchen after feeding the cats! That is not normal. After another busy and stressful week  I should be tired and exhausted. We have fantastic spring weather and I enjoyed the gorgeous sunrise. I'm restless. I try to use this unexpected energy to get things done. Tonight my wife and I will go to cinema and watch Captain America 2: The Return of the First Avenger which is the German title for Captain America: The Winter Soldier. Until then I will fill the time with blogging and sewing accompanied by listening to music.
Hopefully there will be no collapse tomorrow.
Tonight we change from Central European Time to Central European Summer Time which means we move the clock one hour forward from 2 am to 3 am on Sunday morning.
I will take around one week until our cats will get used to new feeding time.
Now let's have a look what I would like to share with you this weekend.

ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Do you know Richard Longarm?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A Giraffe in Paris
  2. Historical Research
  3. More Optical Illusions
  4. Liters of Light
  5. Victorian Occultism and Manifestation
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The LEGO Movie
  2. Snowpiercer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to copy

The Lighthouse

I read less than 90 pages last week. This is sad, really sad. Nothing more to add.



I finished

- Talus and the Frozen King [(UK) ISBN 978-1781081983; (US & CAN) ISBN 978-1781081990] by Graham Edwards
A bard as a detective 3000 BC is surprisingly good.

I'm


- 676 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
"Only" 160 pages left until the end. With some luck I will finish this extraordinary read by end of March.


- 556 pages in Arcanum (digital 2013) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00DI7HKHS] by Simon Morden
Still 221 pages to read until the end. I still have no clue how it will end.


No progress


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I received just one paperback which I ordered in May 2013!
Dawn's Early Light (digital and pb 2014) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00BTRDIAWISBN-13: 978-0425267318] by  Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris  is the third The Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences novel. I like this Steampunk series a lot and I look forward to follow Miss Brown and Mr. Brooks across the Atlantic .......
"Working for the Ministry of Peculiar Occurrences, one sees innumerable technological wonders. But even veteran agents Braun and Books are unprepared for what the electrifying future holds...

After being ignominiously shipped out of England following their participation in the Janus affair, Braun and Books are ready to prove their worth as agents. But what starts as a simple mission in the States - intended to keep them out of trouble - suddenly turns into a scandalous and convoluted case that has connections reaching as far as Her Majesty the Queen.

Even with the help of two American agents from the Office of the Supernatural and the Metaphysical, Braun and Books have their work cut out for them as their chief suspect in a rash of nautical and aerial disasters is none other than Thomas Edison. Between the fantastic electric machines of Edison, the eccentricities of MoPO consultant Nikola Tesla, and the mysterious machinations of a new threat known only as the Maestro, they may find themselves in far worse danger than they ever have been in before..." [Source]


Do you know Richard Longarm?
I must say, the name meant nothing to me until I received a kind mail from translator and aspiring digital publisher Ingrid Wolf.
She likes SFF and live in Ukraine. She asked me if I would like to share word about her new project.
Here we go!
Let me start with the official press release:

"The Most Long-Armed Knight Is Coming

A European epic fantasy bestseller translation launching on Indiegogo in March

Large publishers do not release many translated books these days, though Europe still has fantasy writers no less popular than Wolfgang Hohlbein or Andrzej Sapkowsky. Perhaps the reason is that now, with overall book sales decreasing, the industry’s giants would rather avoid any risk and focus totally on a bunch of well-selling names. But the banner of exploring new realms and bringing the select works to you was picked up by small presses and digitals.

Ingrid Wolf, known to some fantasy book lovers by her translation of The Grail of Sir Thomas by Yury Nikitin, is coming to Indiegogo with a new ambitious project. The goal is to translate and publish the first three books of Richard Longarms, an epic that sold over 7,000,000 copies in several countries. The campaign features three ebooks at $10, a set of three paperbacks at $65, and a limited backer-only hardback edition at $100, with free delivery to any corner of the globe.

Pledging to any crowdfunding project is a risk, but sometimes the reward at stake is worth it. If Richard Longarms becomes a bestseller in English-speaking countries too, the names of its backers will go down in history.

The campaign will start on March 24th and remain live till April 30th.

About the series:

An ordinary guy from a big city gets transported to a world that looks pretty much like Medieval Germany – with knights, fair ladies, tourneys and wars, but also monsters and magic. The locals take him for a peasant, and he has to behave so as not to arouse suspicion while struggling to survive and find a way back home. Not an easy task, especially since this new world is forcing poor Dick up and up – to glory, power and all sorts of sweet perks accompanied by greater danger and stronger enemies to face. His point of view constantly develops as he works his way from an ordinary man-at-arms to a powerful king with a burden of responsibility for the whole realm.

In total, the series has 47 books that blend easy-flowing language and distinctive humor with elaborated, fast-pacing storyline and vivid characters. It has never left bestseller ranks since 2001 when the first book, Richard Longarms 1: The Stranger, was released.

About the author:

Gaius Julius Orlovsky is a mysterious writer (or maybe a group of writers, as some suspect due to his incredible productivity). No one knows his real name, what he looks like or where he lives. When in 2012 Orlovsky was awarded a prestigious book prize, the one who came to take it was in knightly armor and helmet hiding the face.

There is talk that the author will reveal his true identity to public on March 29th.

Genre: epic/heroic fantasy

Number of words: around 360,000 (120,000 per book)"

You can read the book opening here:  rlongarms.blogspot.com


Visit THE OFFICIAL PROJECT PAGE where you get a lot more information and where you can support the project.


I read the available first three chapters. It sounds interesting and a bit different compared to the fantasy books I read. I still have no opinion about the style of the author. Nevertheless it gives you a first impression.


As you could read above, Ingrid Wolf translated  The Grail of Sir Thomas by Yury Nikitin.
You an get a digital copy of this book for free over at Smashwords.
"When Sir Thomas, a hero of Crusade, obtained the Holy Grail in hot Saracen sands, that was just a beginning of his dangerous and unpredictable quest. The way back to Britain, his homeland, lies across scorching deserts and the treacherous city of Constantinople. Assassins, villains, hirelings and blood-thirsty savages seem to be leaping onto his way from everywhere. Thomas is proficient with his long sword, he has a brave heart and valiant soul… and also a mysterious companion, a pilgrim from the far northern land of Kievan Rus’ who came to the knight’s aid for some own reasons. But is that enough to overcome the most powerful enemy he’s ever clashed and deliver the priceless relic to where it belongs?" [Source]





No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



A Giraffe in Paris
Did you know that in Paris of 1827 one could see a giraffe in the streets? Read more about this event over at the  The History Girls in this wonderful post
The giraffe that beguiled not just a King but a nation – Dianne Hofmeyr




Historical Research
I told it before, I really appreciate when authors talk about research for their books. Therefore I read with great pleasure the following post over at Fantasy Faction


More Optical Illusions
They did it again! I'm still fascinated after visiting Dark Roasted Blend and enjoying


Liters of Light
That does not sound right. Since when do we measure light in liters? Of course we do not. Liters of Light are the first three words of a post header. You will understand when you visit the WebUrbanist and read about a cheap and clever solution described in




Victorian Occultism and Manifestation
Before I confuse you with strange thoughts and ideas, I recommend to visit The Public Domain Review and enlighten yourself about the theory that emotions and ideas can manifest as visible auras ..........





That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

April 2014 is near and I look forward to this month due to several reasons. I know my wife and I want to go to cinema twice. We are interested in two movies which really differ from each other.

The first one is the The LEGO Movie. So far I read nothing negative about it. Instead of the official trailer I like to show you some outtakes.


The second one is Snowpiercer. I like the IMDB summary:
"In a future where a failed global-warming experiment kills off most life on the planet, a class system evolves aboard the Snowpiercer, a train that travels around the globe via a perpetual-motion engine."
The story, poor against rich in a post-apocalyptic world is not new. But to use a train as the main stage is an interesting idea.

This is the animated prequel:


I assume a lot of you do not know the German trailer. Therefore I show you this one:

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I really like the following quote. But to be honest I would add something.: Name the source!
I do not like to adorn myself with borrowed plumes .....


"When a thing has been said and well, have no scruple. Take it and copy it.

Anatole France, French novelist, 1844 - 1924

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...