Saturday, March 15, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1411

Hello and welcome to issue #1411 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I feel a bit like Phil Connors in Groundhog Day. Last week I wrote
"On Friday evening I was too tired to work on this issue of the Weekend Wave."
Exactly the same happened yesterday evening. Now I try my best to get this issue of the Weekend Wave to be posted today which means Saturday.


ENJOY READING ....



Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. An extraordinary hotel
  2. Where do you park your car?
  3. River Thames disaster
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. European Song Contest

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to the center of the universe

The Lighthouse

I'm happy that I still find time for reading beside my fatigue and my three current reads are so satisfying. I'm sure I will finish all of them by the end of the month which is great because two of the books stand for around 800 pages each. 



I finished

- no book

I'm


- 539 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson


- 502 pages in Arcanum (digital 2013) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00DI7HKHS] by Simon Morden
Nearly every chapter shows a new turn. The character development is amazing

- 108 pages in Talus and the Frozen King [(UK) ISBN 978-1781081983; (US & CAN) ISBN 978-1781081990] by Graham Edwards
A bard as a detective 3000 BC is surprisingly good.


No progress

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

A few weeks ago I posted about Radio Hope (digital January 2014) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00I5HHTVS] by Sean McLachlan is the first book in the Toxic World series.
I read the book and liked it a lot. Unfortunately the review is still in progress.
The second book - Refugees from the Righteous Horde - is in progress. To my pleasure Sean McLachlan published a short story set in the Toxic World universe.
The Scavenger (digital) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00J02F2NO].
"In a world shattered by war, pollution, and disease, a lone scavenger discovers a priceless relic from the Old Times.
The problem is, it's stuck in the middle of the worst wasteland he knows--a contaminated city inhabited by insane chem addicts and vengeful villagers. Only his wits, his gun, and an unlikely ally can get him out alive.
Set in the Toxic World series introduced in the novel Radio Hope, this 10,000-word story explores more of the dangers and personalities that make up a post-apocalyptic world that's all too possible." [Source]
I like to discover more of the Toxic World universe and this will be just a two hours read.






A new book including promotion
Two days ago I received another kind mail from Rebellion.co.uk which you may know as a game development company. But there is more behind:
"In addition to games and comics, Rebellion’s book publishing arm - Abaddon Books - was launched in the summer of 2006. Focusing on science fiction adventure and fantasy stories, Abaddon was joined by Solaris, bought from BL Publishing, and the two imprints have built up a substantial body of critically-acclaimed and bestselling work." [Source]
Attached was a review pack with following information and a digital copy of



The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year Vol. 8
edited by Jonathan Strahan

The celebrated series comes to Solaris on 10th April (US and UK)



$19.99 (US) ISBN 978-1-78108-216-4

£13.99 (UK) ISBN 978-1-78108-215-7





Available in paperback and ebook




“…Strahan has hit them all out of the park in his Best of the Year series…” – Tor.com

“…demonstrate[s] a knowledge of and affection for the fantastic that rival
editors would be hard-pressed to match” – Publishers Weekly

The celebrated The Best Science Fiction and Fantasy of the Year series comes to the UK – Solaris is proud to be the new home for the latest volume in Jonathan Strahan’s critically-acclaimed SFF anthology series!

The best, most original, and brightest science fiction and fantasy stories from around the globe from the past twelve months are brought together in one collection by the multiple-award-winning editor. This highly popular series is released in the UK for the first time and includes stories from both the biggest names in the field and the most exciting new talents, including Neil Gaiman, Joe Abercrombie, Karin Tidbeck, An Owomoyela, Madeline Ashby, Lavie Tidhar, Charlie Jane Anders, Geoff Ryman, Caitlin R Kiernan and many more.

With a fantastic range of diverse authors and cutting-edge science fiction, this essential book is an established series in the US but has only been found on import in the UK. It now joins Solaris’ high-profile anthology list.

About the Author

Jonathan Strahan is an editor and anthologist. He co-edited The Year’s Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy anthology series in 1997 and 1998. He is also the reviews editor of Locus. He lives in Perth, Western Australia, with his wife and their two daughters.

www.jonathanstrahan.com.au





Amazon still shows the 8th of May as publishing date. Even it is a promising collection of authors, I did not promise a review.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

An extraordinary hotel
You would like to be Captain Nemo for a night and you do not mind to spend just $100,000 for this pleasure? Then I recommend to visit WebUrbanist and have a look at



Where do you park your car?
Just visit Dark Roasted Blend and have a look at


River Thames disaster
As far as I know the Thames is the most famous river in England. It is a river which can tell many, many stories. Over at the English Historical Fiction Authors you can read one of these stories and it is a tragic one:


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

The Eurovision Song Contest is an annual song competition with a long history.
The 2014 final will take place in Copenhagen. Last year it was up to a jury to decide who will sing for Germany. This year it has been a decision by phone within a TV show.
I must say I like the winner.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I know that IT people will love the following quote. You can't imagine what kind of calls you get from users .....


"The brain is a wonderful organ. It starts working the moment you get up in the morning and does not stop until you get into the office.

Robert Frost, US poet, 1874 - 1963

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

You're right - I'm seeing a pattern here!
Good to hear you are enjoying Talus and the Frozen King.
Glad you found Sean's short story! Awesome looking cover for that one.
Bizarre car accidents. You know I have to go look now...

ediFanoB said...

Weeks pass so fast.
I'm sorry for the late reply. Was too tired in the evenings.

Hope I will leave the pattern ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...