Sunday, February 23, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1408

Hello and welcome to issue #1408 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I'm sorry for the delay but I needed the Saturday after my business trip to Spain to relax and recharge my battery. I reached home late on Friday - around 11 pm. I assume that some people think that a business trip is something where you can relax a bit. I must say that the spare time during the trip shrank to the time you need for shower and sleep. Even breakfast, lunch and dinner have been filled with discussions. The time on the plane was the only time left for reading. Nevertheless I enjoyed the trip because it is the only opportunity to meet my European colleagues once a year. It is still a big difference between face to face meetings and video conferences.
Enough about work.
There was not much time left to prepare this post. However I hope I picked up something interesting for you.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. A preview
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Recycling II
  2. Deep beneath London
  3. Spy and Pie
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Guardians of the Galaxy

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to work

The Lighthouse

I hoped that there would be more time for reading during my business trip but that was an erroneous belief. Nevertheless I used the available time well and continued reading two books.



I finished

- No book


I'm

- 226 pages in Prophecy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317646] by S. J. Parris
Related to the time available for reading is not bad.

- 276 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
Related to the time available a progress of 75 pages is not bad.

No progress

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


In my first post in 2014 I mentioned authors and books where I failed to read and/or review books in 2013. Author and friend of the blog Rosalie Skinner and her  Chronicles of Caleath series which consist of eight books belong to the list.
In September 2012 I wrote an extended post about author and series which is still valid. Now the seventh book in the  Chronicles of Caleath series has been published.
Rosalie Skinner has been so kind to sent me a digital copy of  Adrift: In Search of Memory (digital 2014) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:  B00IJDXXJA].
"Tag Seawell’s strange turns are frightening his shipmates. Each time his eyes turn black unexpected things happen. He can’t explain why. When strangers come to town searching for a man of his description, the locals fail to mention his existence. The stranger’s arrival and departure before Tag returns from sea, give him his first hope of learning about his past and perhaps curing him of the unexplained fits he falls into. Leaving his woman behind he follows the strangers and embarks on a perilous and confusing voyage of discovery.

Nothing prepares Tag for the revelations his journey brings. From pirates, to warring dragons, whales, starships and an alien god, new experiences jog old memories. Discovery comes with a price. Why does Death want his unborn child? Why does a race of sorcerers want his help? How is he supposed to influence warring dragons and how does he know and do things he should not know?" [Source]

There is an excerpt available HERE. Furthermore you can read an interview HERE:




On 16th of February I watched a 45 minute interview on German TV with Christopher Clark, author and Professor of Modern History at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of St Catharine's College about World War I.
After that interview I knew that I wanted to read the book by Christopher Clark, And finally I bought a digital copy of The Sleep Walkers (digital 2013) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:  B008B1BL4E] yesterday.
The book is available in different formats like
hardcover, ISBN-13: 978-0061146657
paperback, ISBN-13: 978-0141027821

"In "The Sleepwalkers" acclaimed historian and author of Iron Kingdom, Christopher Clark, examines the causes of the First World War.
Sunday Times Books of the Year 2012.
The moments that it took Gavrilo Princip to step forward to the stalled car and shoot dead Franz Ferdinand and his wife were perhaps the most fateful of the modern era. An act of terrorism of staggering efficiency, it fulfilled its every aim: it would liberate Bosnia from Habsburg rule and it created a powerful new Serbia, but it also brought down four great empires, killed millions of men and destroyed a civilization. What made a seemingly prosperous and complacent Europe so vulnerable to the impact of this assassination?
In "The Sleepwalkers" Christopher Clark retells the story of the outbreak of the First World War and its causes. Drawing on many fresh new sources, this account reveals a Europe very different from the familiar picture, putting Serbia and the Balkans at the centre of the story. Starting with the brutal assassination of Alexander I of Serbia in 1903, Clark shows how, far from being the place of enviable stability it appears to us, Europe was racked by chronic problems: a multipolar, fractured, multicultural world of clashing ideals, terrorism, militancy and instability, which was, fatefully, saddled with a conspicuously ineffectual set of political leaders. He shows how the rulers of Europe, who prided themselves on their modernity and rationalism, behaved like sleepwalkers, stumbling through crisis after crisis and finally convincing themselves that war was the only answer.
[...]
About the author: Christopher Clark is Professor of Modern History at the University of Cambridge and a Fellow of St Catharine's College. He is the author of "The Politics of Conversion", "Kaiser Wilhelm II" and "Iron Kingdom". Widely praised around the world, "Iron Kingdom" became a major bestseller. He has been awarded the Officer's Cross of the Order of Merit of the Federal Republic of Germany." [Source]



Preview
Before I left home for my business trip I received a kind mail from author Geoffrey Wilson. Depending on how long you follow my blog, you may remember that in July 2012 I did a triple post (review, interview, giveaway) for the alternate history debut novel Land of Hope and Glory (pb, 2012)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721126] by Geoffrey Wilson.
I wrote:

"Land of Hope and Glory is THE REFRESHING ALTERNATE HISTORY SETTING with THE ULTIMATE MIX OF STEAM, MAGIC, ACTION, MYTHS, and LEGENDS!"

In 2013 he has been so kind to send me a copy of The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] which is the second book in the series.  There was a plan to post a review and to perform a giveaway. Unfortunately it did not work well. I read and enjoyed the book. But completely failed to perform any other activity.
Therefore now I'm more than happy that promised me a copy of the third and final book in the series! I will definitely read it and I have the strong will to review it. I hope this try will be more successful.
While I wait for my copy, you may want to purchase a copy. In order to do that you need information. Here we go:
The War of the Grail (pb, 2014)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721188] by Geoffrey Wilson.
"In Land of Hope and Glory Geoffrey Wilson imagined a world in which an Indian empire rules Europe through the power of magic.

In The Place of Dead Kings, Jack Casey — an old soldier who never meant to be a hero — became England's only hope.

Now it is 1856, King John is dead, and the war that Jack has dreaded since the start of the English rebellion has finally begun. Regiments of Rajthanan troops are massing to the south of free Shropshire, while to the north refugees bring stories of attacks by the devil himself. Both friends and enemies fear that unless Jack can find the elusive Holy Grail, there is no hope. . .

A strange set of maps that Jack discovered in Scotland could hold the key to England's freedom. Kanvar, the rebels' enigmatic Sikh ally, believes the charts will unlock the secrets of the Rajthanans' magic and perhaps guide Jack to the Grail itself. But can Jack harness the power of the Grail before the conqueror's overwhelming forces destroy the dream of a free England forever?" [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Recycling II
In  issue #1404 of Edi's Weekend Wave I talked about an really interesting post over at The History Girls which gave a deeper look into the history of recycling in Victorian Paris. Now the second part is available:



Deep beneath London
It is common knowledge the beneath London you find the famous London Underground. But there are much more things to discover. I do not talk about all the archeological artifacts. There are still a lot of air-raid tunnels from World War II. Long forgotten they come into use again. But not in form of shelter. I think the header of the post over at the WebUrbanist give a clear hint:

Deep Roots: Underground Farm in London Air-Raid Tunnels


Spy and Pie
Since the massive success of HBO's  Game of Thrones series, the dwarf Tyrion Lannister gain a lot of interest. But do you know a dwarf who played a role in real history? My answer was no until I read following post over at The History Girls:

The Hero of the Pie

In case you would like to get more information about Jeffery Hudson I recommend to visit History Today and/or to read

The true story of Sir Jeffery Hudson, the real-life Tyrion Lannister



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

The next movie in the Marvel Cinematic Universe will hit cinemas in  summer 2014. The first trailer of the Guardians of the Galaxy has been released. You get a first impression of the main characters. So far I'm not sure if the will be a more funny movie or not. Have to wait for the next trailer to build up my mind.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Just read and think about it ....



"Normal is getting dressed in clothes that you buy for work and driving through traffic in a car that you are still paying for - in order to get to the job you need to pay for the clothes and the car, and the house you leave vacant all day so you can afford to live in it.

Ellen Goodman, American journalist, 1941 -

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Business trips are usually so jammed packed, there's no time for anything else.
Rosalie has had a successful series.
Beneath London - will check out that link when I finish here.
And Guardians looks quirky!

Nicole Zoltack said...

Guardians does look quirky.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Goodness I love the quote Edi!
Guardians looks great too, must be patient.

Thanks for the mention of ADRIFT... I am going to see if I can promote the last two books as 'stand alone' adventures.

Thanks Alex! The series has taken some time getting out there, but it has taught me patience.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
true words about business trips.

Guardians lokks like to be on the funny side.

ediFanoB said...

Thanks for stopping by Nicole.

We will see in which direction Guardians will go.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rosalie,
I saw the quote and knew immediately that I have to post it :-)

To mention your book was the least I could do for you now.
Of course I will support you to promote the last two books in the series. Just let me know. I always will find time to do a post for you.

obat haid said...

I love all the contents of your website

Seo Milanisti said...

I 'm so glad you could come across this site ,
and we hope to establish good relations with you.
greetings from me ( Seo Milanisti )
peninggi badan | obat peninggi badan super cepat | obat peninggi badan

pelangsing badan | obat pelangsing badan | obat pelangsing badan super cepat

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...