Saturday, February 15, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1407

Hello and welcome to issue #1407 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a week! A lot of work combined with a cold dominated everything. I work only four days and stayed at home on Friday in order to recover. I need to recover soon as I go on a business trip to Spain next Tuesday and will return on Friday night.
All this will have an impact on issue #1407 and #1408 of my Weekend Wave.
Nevertheless I want to deliver my weekly post. Furthermore I hope to share with you two reviews within the 13 remaining days of February 2014.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A special map
  2. Beauty culture
  3. Fantasy and Banking
  4. Emblem book
  5. Rive Thames Police
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Something I like a lot

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to vacation

The Lighthouse

Reading with a cold is worse. I was more than happy to finish a book in the beginning of my cold. I did not read a page from Wednesday to Friday. I hope to find more time for reading during my business trip.



I finished

- Radio Hope (digital January 2014) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00I5HHTVS] by Sean McLachlan which is the first book in the Toxic World series.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I was torn between four and five stars. Finally I gave five stars.
I work on a review which should be ready in calendar week 8, 2014.
"



No progress

- 141 pages in Prophecy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317646] by S. J. Parris

- 201 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Last Tuesday I visited Writing in the Crosshairs, which is the blog of author Roland D. Yeomans. because I wanted read following post related to my current read at that time: Radio Hope 
 I enjoyed reading the interview with author Sean McLachlan about his book Radio Hope and left a comment.

It did not take long and I received a mail from Amazon which contained a gift from  Roland D. Yeomans!! Based on my comment on his blog he thought I might enjoy his French Quarter Nocturne (digital Dec 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN: B004YTMNRG].
"Long before man. Long before light. Darkness reigned.

Then, light pierced its flesh. It hates the light. It hates even more man who casts light like a garment over this world.
A man with the blood of Death in his veins. A revenant priest. Both thought their lives couldn't get any worse. Hurricane Katrina proved them both wrong.
In the French Quarter, the last thing the setting sun sees is the transformation of St. Peter Street to the cursed Rue La Mort.
At the corner where it clashes with Royal Street, the jazz club, Meilori's, shimmers into being for all the children of the night to behold.
It is the Crossroads of Worlds. Within lies hallways leading to realms long thought myths.
Outside the club stands a being from beyond Time itself, waiting for his chance to Meilori's owner, the man with the blood of Death in his veins, is the gatekeeper there along with his best friend, a revenant priest.
During the month following Hurricane Katrina, the shadowlanders that the owner has kept restrained are unleashed.
And the being from outside Time knows his chance has come at long last.
Against the backdrop of Katrina's aftermath, an agnostic jazz club owner and his best friend, a haunted priest, engage enemies in the shadows that challenge both their belief systems.
But there are two things not in doubt : their deep friendship for one another and the dark threat given license to kill by the absence of the police.
Samuel McCord is the owner of the jazz club Meilori's, a place in which almost anything is likely to happen and in which almost everything has.

He tries to live with the loss of his beloved wife while struggling against political incompetence and intrusions by the Russian Mob, European revenants, and an old enemy seeking final revenge.
Father Renfield tries to maintain his doubt-ridden faith under the twin barrage of his friend's questions and the overwhelming needs of Katrina's survivors.
The chaos in New Orleans has given the European revenants a chance to establish a beachhead in America.
Worse, McCord's life-long enemy, a man who insists on being called DayStar, is plotting in the shadows.
Gifted with a cruel intellect that makes Hannibal Lector look like a choir boy, DayStar has always been able to outwit McCord. But Sam's instincts tell him that if he is outwitted this time, all of New Orleans will suffer for his failure." [Source]

Of course I thanked the author for his gift. Furthermore I tried to be honest and told Roland D. Yeomans that I'm not sure if I will like his book because it does not really look like my cup of tea.
So the author has been so kind to send me some more information about the book and I promised him to have a look at it.

We will see .....


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

A special map
Valentine Day has gone. How do you express your love on the remaining 364 days of a year? As a man you may need a kind of compass or better a special map. Fortunately The Public Domain Review deliver exactly what you need. Have a look at



Beauty Culture
I will be honest. My knowledge of beauty culture is limited. At least names like Helena Rubinstein and Elizabeth Arden are not unknown to me. But who was Annie Turnbo Malone?
There is an enlightening post over at the Edwardian Promenade:

Black Business in the Gilded Age: Poro Beauty College


Fantasy and Banking
I think Gringotts Wizarding Bank is one of the most famous banks in the world of fantasy. I'm sure you also know other banks in fantasy novels.  You can either test your knowledge or just enjoy the following inspiring post over at  Fantasy Faction:



Emblem Book
I really appreciate what The Public Domain Review is doing. I love to look at really old emblems. Did you know that  the first emblem book, the Emblemata", has been published in 1531 in the German town of Augsburg? Wouldn't it be great to have a look at the content of such an old book? I would love to do that. Fortunately there is an amazing opportunity to discover an emblem book from 1635. Go and have a look at



River Thames Police
In the 18th century the crime rate on the Thames increased. In the following post over at
the English Historical Fiction Authors you get information about what merchants and magistrate tried to do against it:
The Founding of the River Thames Police



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

In the past days I spent nearly no time for surfing around due to my bad condition. That is reason why took me so long to watch the following amazing and alluring video. I liked to see some of my favorite characters like Arya Stark, Brienne of Tarth and Tyrion Lannister.





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I couldn't agree more ....



"No man needs a vacation so much as the man who has just had one.

Elbert Hubbard, US author, 1856 - 1915

7 comments:

D.G. Hudson said...

I'm a fan of Roland's books, and I have read several, the latest and best is Death in the House of Life. There are subtleties in his writing that make the reader with a literary background smile. Don't let the covers of his books confuse you.

I am currently reading French Quarter Nocturne, and Radio Hope. I will review both as well, so nice to know you may, too.

I came here when I saw Roland's books, then you mentioned Sean's as well. Hope you get better soon, colds are a pain.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Glad you enjoyed Sean's book!
You'll dig Roland's writing style. I've read three of his books and he is master of poetic prose.
Finally caught up with Game of Thrones and looking forward to season four.
Fantasy banking? Will go explore.
Hope the day off helped your cold.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Sorry to hear you are not well.
Hope you recover soon.
Loved the Game of Thrones trailer.
Can't wait for the new season.

Take care of yourself.

ediFanoB said...

Hello D.G. Hudson,
thank you for stopping by and for your wishes. Today is Monday and I fee better - I must feel better because tomorrow I go on a business trip to Spain. I will return on Friday. So I try to pack my bag and to answer mails and comments before O go to bed.
I liked Radio Hope a lot and my review is in progress. Unfortunately the cold lead to a delay and I'm afraid there will be no time to continue the review while I'm not at home.
But I will let you know when my review will be available and I look forward to read your review.
O couse I will give French Quarter Nocturne a try ...

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I'm so glad that I discovered Sean's book on your blog and gave it a try. I was a satisfying read.
As I wrote in my previous comment, I definitely feel better. Will see what happens in Spain. Hopefully there will be more sun which I will not see often as I will stay most of the day in meeting rooms.

Fantasy banking is really interesting. It has nothing to do with nowadays bank business.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
thank you for your wishes. I feel indeed better.
From my point of view the Game of Thrones is well executed.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Glad you are feeling better. Enjoy Spain.
:)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...