Saturday, February 08, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1406

Hello and welcome to issue #1406 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Today I feel dominated by a lack inspiration and energy. I found myself staring out of the window into the gray sky  without a single thought in my mind. Instead of singing the blues I should think positive. At least I finished one more book and I could support author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh,

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Reminder
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Marocco
  2. 6th of February 2014
  3. Sea Serpent
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Planescape Torment

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to freedom

The Lighthouse

I tried my best to find as much time for reading as possible. Given the circumstances I happy with the result. I finished one book and continued to read two of my current reads.



I finished

- Red Axe, Black Sun (digital Dec 2013) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00HFTBU8U] by Michael Karner

"Dryston of Decia, a poisoned fighter, his ex-lover and sorceress Kyra Celeste and a girl with a death list tattoo will decide the fate of a whole world. Walking on a thin line between good and bad, survival and heroism, they struggle to solve the puzzle of secrets and conspiracies. In a war marking the end of time unpredictable magic, drugs, dead bodies, monsters and a secret plaster their ways and put feelings, loyalties and morals to the test. Will they find the man who is guilty of Dryston’s slow death? Is there a cure? With the fate of the world uncertain, prophecies told and legends rising, how will Dryston and his comrades decide the world’s fate?" [Source]
In case you are interested in the book, you should have a look at Amazom.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de, as you can purchase a digital copy at a low price. I don't know how long the offer will be valid.   

I wrote on GOODREADS:

"I got a free copy through a promo campaign and decided spontaneously to read it.

I must say after I finished the book I was not sure how to rate it. There have been a lot of things I liked and also a few things I did not like. I finished the book on 7th of February 2014 and waited until the 8th of February to rate it.

Firs of all I must admit that the author delivered everything promised in the book description. He did even more with the delivery of more interesting characters.
I liked to follow each of the characters because they all have their own story and they all play a part in the events which have a great impact on the fate of the world. That may let you imagine that the story is more complex as one think at first sight.
Partially I found the pacing a bit uneven. Beside that it is a good fantasy debut novel which shows potential for hopefully following books because this one ends with a cliffhanger."



I'm

- 141 pages in Prophecy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317646] by S. J. Parris
A progress of 30 pages which means I read chapter six.

- 201 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson
A progress of 25 pages which means I'm halfway through chapter six. It is great to return to this book after a long break.

No progress



- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,






 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Two digital copies found a new home on my reader.
The first one is - Red Axe, Black Sun (digital Dec 2013) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00HFTBU8U] by Michael Karner, which I described above.

The second one is the result of reading a post, discover an author new to me, discover other books by the author, find one for free and finally get a copy.
Last Monday I read following post over at Alex J. Cavanaugh's blog
Naked in the Apocalypse, February Movie Preview, Cassa Updates, Movie Trivia Answers, and Ninja News

This post contained a guest post by author Sean McLachlan, with the interesting title People won’t be naked in the Apocalypse

This piece of text contains some interesting thoughts about dressing in post-apocalyptic books and is of course related to his latest book.

Radio Hope (digital January 2014) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00I5HHTVS] by Sean McLachlan is the first book in the Toxic World series.
"In a world shattered by war, pollution and disease. . .
A gunslinging mother longs to find a safe refuge for her son.
A frustrated revolutionary delivers water to villagers living on a toxic waste dump.
The assistant mayor of humanity's last city hopes he will never have to take command.
One thing gives them the promise of a better future--Radio Hope, a mysterious station that broadcasts vital information about surviving in a blighted world. But when a mad prophet and his army of fanatics march out of the wildlands on a crusade to purify the land with blood and fire, all three will find their lives intertwining, and changing forever." [Source]

I think it is important to mention following statement y the author:
"No zombies, no aliens, just regular people trying to live with their grandparents' mistakes." [Source]


The post ended with:
Sean McLachlan is an archaeologist turned writer who is the author of several books of fiction and history. Check him out on his blogs Midlist Writer and Civil War Horror.

Of course I visited both mentioned blogs and on Midlist Writer I found a hint where to get a free copy of The Quintessence of Absence (digital May 2013) Smashwords] by Sean McLachlan

"Can a drug-addicted sorcerer sober up long enough to save a kidnapped girl and his own Duchy?

In an alternate 18th century Germany where magic is real and paganism never died, Lothar is in the bonds of nepenthe, a powerful drug that gives him ecstatic visions. It has also taken his job, his friends, and his self-respect. Now his old employer has rehired Lothar to find the man's daughter, who is in the grip of her own addiction to nepenthe.

As Lothar digs deeper into the girl's disappearance, he uncovers a plot that threatens the entire Duchy of Anhalt, and finds the only way to stop it is to face his own weakness." [Source]
If you are interested in a copy then go to Smashwords and download a copy in one of the offered digital formats.



Reminder
I posted it on Tuesday;

Alex J. Cavanaugh’s CassaFire just .99 for a limited time!


Get a digital copy of CassaFirE  from 4th to 10th of February 2014 for






No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Marocco
Enter this word in Google and the first thing you get is the question
Did you mean: morocco ?

No, I really meant Marocco, better known as Bankes's Horse. Marocco was the name of a which has been accused of witchcraft! It happened a long time ago in the 16th century. I never heard about Marocco until today when I read the following post of at the English Historical Fiction Authors:
Marocco - the Horse Accused of Witchcraft                   by Grace Elliot



6th of February 2014
For me this was just another working day. But like all the other 364 days there are historical events related to the 6th of February. One of the blogs I follow on a regularly base is IanVisits.
Since 1994 England and France are connected by the Channel Tunnel. The 6th of February has a specific meaning in the history of the tunnel. For detailed information please read

It’s the 50th anniversary of the Channel Tunnel Agreement


Sea SerpentThey belong to the oceans like Nessie to Loch Ness. The Great Norway Serpent is one of the most famous. You find a lot of information about this serpent and the man who depicted this one and many more in the 16th century of at The Public Domain Review in the post

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.


Planescape Torment
In former years we bought a lot of PC games. A few days ago my daughter showed my the box of the game Planescape Torment first released in 1999. She asked me if  I ever have played the game and my answer was NO.  I must say what a shame. This is such a great game. But before I bother you with praises in my humble English I recommend to watch following video.

If you own a copy and you want to play it again, you should invest some time to improve the game in order to run on modern systems.
I highly recommend to read and follow the instructions given in following post by Thunderpeel2001 on his blog Alphabetti Spaghetti:
Planescape: Torment - Best Mods/Increase Resolution Guide
It takes a while to download, copy and install all the necessary stuff but it is worth to do it. While writing this post I did all the work on our other PC. Hopefully I can play a bit in the evening.


In case you would like to purchase a copy for 9.99 USD 




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I have some people in mind after reading following quote ....



"People demand freedom of speech as a compensation for the freedom of thought which they seldom use.

Soren Kierkegaard, Danish philosopher, 1813 - 1855

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Planescape Torment is a great game!
Glad you picked up a couple of Sean's books. I believe Radio Hope is the first in a planned series.
Thanks again for you plug of CassaFire's sale. Late last night, it hit #194 overall on Amazon, which just boggles my mind.

Sean McLachlan said...

Hi Edi! I'm looking forward to hearing your honest opinion about Radio Hope.
I tweeted Alex too. He's a great guy.
Didn't know about Marocco, interesting stuff! That caught my eye because I go to Morocco a lot. :-)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
after playing Planescape Torment for around four hours, I must say I love it.

Thanks for mentioning Radio Hope on your blog. Not sure if I had discovered it without.

Glad to read that the CassaFire promo runs well.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Sean,
thanks for stopping by. Of course I will share my honest opinion about Radio Hope with you.

Glad you like the Marocco stuff. There ae so may interesting things to discover.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Planescape Torment is a great game, as Alex mentioned above! One of my friend translated to Hungarian. The same one who helped me with the translation of Icewind dale 2, which is a great game too.
Unfortunatelly I just tried the PT, and played with it about 1 or 2 hours... I'd like to play with it, as I'd like to play the new, enhanced edition of Baldur's Gate I and II. Just one big question left. When?

ediFanoB said...

Hello Zoltán,
PT is a great game and I was so happy that I found time during the weekend to play some hours. During the week it is nearly impossible to do that.
To translate such a game is a huge task.

I wish you and me more time for playing and reading.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...