Saturday, February 01, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1405

Hello and welcome to issue #1405 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a week! A week dominated by work. At 5 am, during the day, at 10 pm, at work and at home .... I think it is not necessary to tell you why this issue of the is shorter compared to the one from last weekend.
Nevertheless I hope to return to normal working hours.  While there's life, there's hope .....


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Similar experience
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. I love maps
  2. A special map
  3. Indecisive?
  4. Whimsical Art
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Cinematic Game Trailer

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to alcohol

The Lighthouse

Unbelievable but true, I finished one more book. It admit it was a short one with just 139 pages. I read 70 pages on last Sunday and then it took me another four days to read the remaining 69 pages. In sum I read eight books in January which is very good for me.



I finished

- Backyard Aliens (pb Dec 2013, digital Jan 2014) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B00HMCE5LE; ISBN-13: 978-1620151969] by Terry Persun.
The author has been so kind to send me a digital copy and I was curious to read the second appearance of the extraordinary Neil Altman who has been trained by his parents to ac the two halves of his brain independently.
In 2012 I read and reviewed REVISION 7:DNA (e-book and pb, 2011) [Amazon Kindle, ASIN:B009AHUELE; ISBN-13: 978-1935961505]
And that is what I wrote on GOODREADS about Backyard Aliens:
"I read and liked the first appearance of Neil and Mara in Revision 7:DNA. 
So I have had expectations. In fact the story itself is good. I liked it too that the story is more focused on Mara. Unfortunately the story is not long enough. I felt like I have read only two thirds of the story. Based on that there was not enough space to give the reader more information about the aliens. I also wanted to get more information about other characters.
As I understood the reader can expect more books starring Neil and Mara and I will definitely read the next book. 
Anyway if you like a good story about human behavior when it comes to aliens, with two fascinating main characters you should give it a try but be aware the story ends after 145 pages and you can end up with the conclusion like me. Good but too short."



I'm



No progress

- 112 pages in Prophecy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317646] by S. J. Parris


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another



With a digital copy of Bryant and May Off the Rails (digital 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B003U2TCOA] by Christopher Fowler, which is the eighth book in the Bryant and May Mystery series, I own now copies of all available books in the series.
"They've been given just one week to find a killer they'd caught once before . . .

Arthur Bryant, John May and the Peculiar Crimes Unit are on the trail of an enigma: a young man called Mr Fox. But his identity is false, his links to society are invisible and his home yields no clues. All they know is that somehow he escaped from a locked room and murdered one of their best and brightest.

Now the detectives are being lured down into the darkest recesses of the London Underground where their quarry, expertly disguised, has struck again. Their search takes them into the vast labyrinth of tunnels, a subterranean world full of legends and ghost stations, which tie the city together. Edging closer to what lies hidden beneath the city - and to the madness that is driving a man to murder - Bryant and May are about to uncover a mystery as bizarre as anything they have ever encountered . . ." [Source]

Furthermore I could not resist to spend EUR 0,87 for a digital copy of The Galactic Mage (digital 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B006VCZMVS] by John Daulton. This is the first book in the The Galactic Mage series.
"Altin Meade is a sorcerer with a curse. Seeking to avoid a looming doom, he sets his magical sights on the stars—a quest that will likely bring about the very end he's seeking to escape.

Far across the galaxy, Ensign Orli Pewter of planet Earth has a looming doom of her own—one of loneliness, depression and, worse, a race of genocidal aliens known as Hostiles seeking to destroy humanity. Trapped aboard a spaceship she never asked to be upon, Orli is in a fight for her life and her sanity.

Worlds apart, Altin and Orli share a destiny, though neither knows the other is alive. The Hostiles know. And they have other plans." [Source]
I'm curious to see how this mix of fantasy and science fiction will work for me. There is a trailer available for the book which I of course share with you.


After buying the digital copies I traveled through the net in order to find some interesting topics worth to share with you. During this travel following book crossed my path and after reading this review by Stefan Raets, I have been hooked and purchased a digital copy of Arcanum (digital 2013) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00DI7HKHS] by Simon Morden.
"The kingdom of Carinthia is rich, powerful and undefeated. A thousand years ago, its ancestors were the spell-wielding northern tribes who crushed the Roman Empire. Their legendary hexmasters can destroy whole armies and turn battlefields into fiery lakes of lava.

Magic is Carinthia's wealth, protection and way of life. But the age of magic is dying. Some would do anything to see it return: any act, no matter how terrible, is justified, so long as the hexmasters can still protect their homeland.

The kingdom is poised between order and chaos - and the smallest spark is the difference between disaster and triumph." [Source]
Arcanum stands for 768 pages. That means the author has to tell a lot. So it would be interesting to know why Simon Morden wrote Arcanum. I know the reason because I read STORY BEHIND ARCANUM BY SIMON MORDEN.


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I love Maps
Maps are fuel for my imagination. Therefore I was really happy when I discovered following post over at the London Historian's Blog:


A special map
Do you like and use Google Street View? The you should visit following post over at the WebUrbanist:

Indecisive?
Do you have a complete list of which book you want to buy in which month? I have a list which is partially filled with books ordered in advance. But there are still empty spots because I need leeway for unexpected discoveries, sales campaigns and for books which went under my radar.
Therefore I like posts like the following one I discovered over at a Fantasy Reader:


Whimsical Art
You may not know artist Boris Artzybasheff(1899 - 1965) , but you may have seen some of his illustrations. Just head over to Dark Roasted Blend and enjoy




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.


Cinematic Game Trailer

Last week I talked about old fashioned computer games and showed you some videos.
Nowadays it s more and more common to create cinematic trailers for new games.
Today I would like to share with you the cinematic trailer for the upcoming Elder Scrolls Online.
I admit I have been impressed ....




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think I follow the following advice well when it comes to quotes ....



"Wine makes a man more pleased with himself; I do not say that it makes him more pleasing to others.

Samuel Johnson, English author, critic, & lexicographer, 1709 - 1784

2 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Boris Artzybasheff's art was cool.
Looks like some cool books coming out.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

there are so many interesting things and so little time. Often I feel like the White Rabbit in Alice in Wonderland.
Will visit your blog soon.
Have a great week

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...