Wednesday, January 01, 2014

Welcome 2014!

Dear Readers,

may 2014 a good one for you and your dear and near ones.
I spent some time to think about whether to write a New Year's resolution or not. When I look at the ones from the past years, I have to state, that most of the time I failed. But finally I decided, that I need some in order to have a bar to verify my improvements in one way or the other


My New Year's Resolution

- Read and/or review the books by Courtney Schafer, Rosalie Skinner, John Marco. Mark Lawrence, Geoffrey Wilson, Duncan Hamilton which I promised in 2013

- Buy less books than in 2013 

- Write 104 posts in 2014 (that would be an average of two posts per week)

- Write 24 reviews in 2014 (that would be an average of two reviews per month)

- Read 60 books which includes the books from the authors mentioned above. That means in detail the five remaining books in the Chronicles of Caleath series by Rosalie Skinner, the second book in The Shattered Sigil series by Courtney Schafer and to finish xx Mark Lawrence.

- Finish two series. So far I have not decided yet which ones. Anyway that does not include
  books from the authors above.
  Here are some of the candidates.

  Time Riders series by Alex Scarrow 
  The ninth and final book will be published in autumn 2014. I read all previous books!
  
  Spiritwalker Series by Kate Elliott
  I read the first book and own copies of
  book two Cold Fire (633 pages!, pb, 2011) [ISBN13: 978-0316080996]   and
  book three Cold Steel (749 pages! pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-1841498867]

  The Gallow trilogy by Nathan Hawke
  I read the first book and own copies of the remaining two books

  The Riyria Revelations series by Michael J. Sullivan
  As you may know the original six books have been published in three omnibus. So far I read
   the first omnibus

  The Complete Sherlock Holmes & Tales of Terror and Mystery by Arthur Conan Doyle [a Conan
  Doyle Estate, Ltd. authorized Kindle eBook edition]. So far I read two of the four novels and
  none of the 56 stories.

 


- Continue reading four series. So far I have not decided yet which ones. Anyway that does not
   include  books from the authors above.

  Here are some of the candidates:

  Pyke Mystery series by Andrew Pepper. So far the series consist of five books. I don't know whether the series will be continued or not. I read the first book and own copies of the rest.

 Clockwork Empire by Steven Harper
 I read the first book and I own copies of the following three books. There are three more
 books in progress . . .

 The Danilov Quintet series by by Jasper Kent. So far four of the five books have been
  published and I read the first two books.

 The Shardlake series by C.J. Sansom. So far the series consist of five books. I don't know whether the series will be continued or not. I read the first book and own copies of the rest.

 The Malazan Book of the Fallen by Steven Erikson. The series consist of ten books. I need to
 resume book two.
 
 Albert Newsome series by James McCreet. Four books are available. I own copies of the first
 three books and read the first one.

 Bryant and May Mystery series by Christopher Fowler. So far ten books are available and I own copies of nine of the books. There will be more books to come. So far I read the first three books.

 Inspector McLevy mystery by David Ashton. So far four novels are available. I own copies of the first three books and read the first one in the series.

Furnivall and Stubbs Cases by Michael Conway Stewart. So far three books have been published and I own digital copies of all three. So far I read the first book.

Giordano Bruno series by S. J. Parris.The fourth book will be published in February 2014. So far I read the first book.

Burton & Swinburne series by Mark Hodder,The fifth book will be published in July 2014. Until then I would like to read the fourth book.


Last but one candidate is an author with two series - George Mann

Newbury & Hobbes Investigations series by George Mann. I read all four novels published so far. But there is The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781167427] still waiting to be read.

After editing of two Sherlock Holmes related anthologies -
Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (February 2013)
[Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781160039] and
Further Encounters of Sherlock Holmes (February 2014)
[Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781160046] -
George Mann started his own Sherlock Holmes series.
I own a copy of The Will of Dead Men(November 2013)
[Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1781160015] and will be followed by
Sherlock Holmes: The Spirit Box (June 2014)
[Paperback ISBN-13:  978- 1781160022


There is one series which is definitely on top of my list. 
 The return of Harry Lytle
Sometimes authors and readers need as much endurance as the Himalaya is high. In this special case I talk about the author Paul Lawrence and his The Chronicles of Harry Lytle series.
In April 2010 I reviewed The Sweet Smell of Decay (June 2009, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636426] and in June 2010 I reviewed A Plague of Sinners (May 2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914]. I loved to read both books and could not wait for the third one. On October 11th 2011 Paul Lawrence posted following sad news:

"Death of a Publisher

11th October 2011

And on this day it came to pass that Beautiful Books went into administration. Sad news for many - and my sympathy to anyone who may have lost their job as a result.

In the meantime the Harry Lytle Chronicles are looking for a new home. Interested publishers should contact Tara Wynne at Curtis Brown." [Source]
Paul Lawrence started to search a new publisher for the third Harry Lytle book. The months passed by and he kept informed his readers via Facebook and GOODREADS. And after a long, long time he found a new home for his book at publisher Allyson & Busby.
The 27th of January 2014 is the publishing day of Hearts of Darkness (hc, January 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0749015275] !!
" "I poked the rancid beef about my plate, suppressing a desire to run from this place, dancing and singing, all the way to the Mermaid, for that afternoon I made a momentous decision, the most important decision a man makes, for I decided what to do with the rest of my life. I was going to become an apothecary. I wanted to celebrate, tell the whole world, and drink a toast to myself. Instead I withered beneath the stony glare of Mrs Collis, who stared like she suspected me of a great crime, her face glowing a shade of pale green in the candlelight."

Harry thought that the Plague was all over. Until Lord Arlington ordered him to travel to Shyam to find a traitor and bring him back to London. Shyam is a small village that still harbours the plague. The village's inhabitants have barricaded their borders so that no one who enters the village is allowed to leave until the Plague has gone. To enter Shyam is likely to die, but Harry has no choice.

The first two installments in this historical crime series were previously published by Beautiful Books but now reissued by A&B." [Source]

 I'm so happy that the series continues and my wife too, who read the first two books a while ago. 




That seems like a tough program. But first and foremost I read books to enjoy and to relax. These are my movies in my head. Secondly I like to share my love of books with others. That is the reason why I blog.

I wish all of you many interesting and entertaining books and enough time for reading.



ENJOY READING



2 comments:

Gina Gao said...

Good luck on your resolutions!

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

ediFanoB said...

Hello Gina Gao,

thank you very much.
May 2014 be a good one for you.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...