Saturday, January 25, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1404

Hello and welcome to issue #1404 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Yesterday I suffered from my Friday evening syndrome which means resting on the sofa with my e-book reader alternating between reading, sleeping and talking to my wife. I dropped every thought about PC, mails, blog and so on. It has been a good decision. This morning our living alarm clock in form of our tomcat woke me up with his dissonant cries to remind me to serve him a tasty meal at his usual time which means 5.30 am. After feeding the cats I could not fall asleep again and started reading. I finished the book before I sank again in the arms of Morpheus. I woke up at 9 am and felt refreshed and ready for the day.
And it has been a good one so far. What else should I say after finishing a book, buying two games and writing this post in a relaxed mood.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Similar experience
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Go Alex, go
  2. Recycling
  3. The Green Wall
  4. ABC
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Point and Click

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to quotations

The Lighthouse

I did not expect that I could continue my reading progress on the level of last week. But I found enough time to continue reading one of my books in progress and to finish one more book. So no complaints related to reading.



I finished

- Blackdown (digital, October 2013; pb December 2013) [Kindle Asin: B00FSOTXD8; ISBN-13: 978-1494855437] by D M Mitchell. I got a digital copy for free recently.
"‘THE MOST SAVAGE OF BEASTS IS TO BE FOUND WITHIN THE HEART OF MAN.’

It is 1817, Regency England. Thomas Blackdown, a thieftaker and ex-soldier, receives word that his brother and father are in deep trouble and need his help. But Blackdown is a man that harbours bitter memories; a man banished from his homeland because of a terrible accident, and so is reluctant to return to his ancestral home in Somerset.

However, once there he discovers that his brother has been savagely murdered – torn to shreds, some say by a mythical creature the locals call the Blackdown Beast. Thomas Blackdown does not believe in any creature of fantasy, and is determined to bring to justice his brother’s murderer, encouraged by his brother’s fiancé, Julianne Tresham, and aided by the faithful servant Addison.

But Blackdown is quickly drawn deep into a complicated web of deceit, power, greed and murder involving Lord Tresham – Julianne’s father – and the cold Sir Peter Lansdowne. What is the mysterious Lupercal Club? Why do ex-soldiers go missing from Commodore Pettigrew’s travelling theatre? What strange thing is happening in Devilbowl Wood where Blackdown’s brother was found mutilated? And does a savage, hellish creature really prowl the night?

Soon, Blackdown must fight for his own life and face up to his demons both imaginary and real. He will need all his wits and skills to survive if he is ever to discover the shocking truth behind the evil that has penetrated as far as the government itself.

Set in Regency England following the end of the Napoleonic wars, ‘Blackdown’ is D. M. Mitchell at his creative best, crafting a believable world of strange, larger-than-life characters, with his trademark intricate plotting and surprise ending, it is a novel that is a rollicking good thriller, horror and adventure story rolled into one.

And in Thomas Blackdown, Mitchell has given us a hero like no other before – a D’Arcy with bite, a Bond in breeches…" [Source]

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"England 1817. Ex-soldier Thomas Blackdown returns home. Why? He received a cry for help from his younger brother Jonathan Blackdown. His return set the wheels in motion. After reading the first quarter of the story I thought it as too predictable. Despite that I liked the fact, that the reader did not know more than the main character. So far it was a solid story.
But that changed.
The more Thomas Blackdown discovered, the more interesting the story got. The predictability vanished in a net of unforeseen revelations. The characters are a cornucopia of emotions and blood sweat and tears are no foreign words. There is a real end to the story which leave enough room for sequels.

I would like to read more books starring Thomas Blackdown."


I'm

- 112 pages in Prophecy (paperback, UK 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0007317646] by S. J. Parris
I read 90 pages in the last week and it is a pleasure to follow Giordano Bruno through the twist and turns of the story.


No progress


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

This week I continued to complete my collection of the ten books series  Shadows of the Apt by Adrian Tchaikovsky by purchasing a copy of the seventh book:  Heirs of the Blade (pb, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0230756991].
If you would like to read the blurb then follow THIS LINK.
As with a lot of other series I read only the first book so far. That leads me directly to the next topic.



Similar experience
Do you know the Twilight Reign series by Tom Lloyd? I read the first book published in 2006. The fifth and final book has been published in 2012.  Now fellow blogger Mihai  posted his review of Moon's Artifice, which is the first book in a new series by Tom Lloyd, over at Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews.
I have to say thank you to  Mihai twice. First of all he deserves compliments for a well done review of Moon's Artifice.

Secondly he reminded me of another series where I own copies of all books but failed to read the rest of the series.

Finally we share similar experience. We both read each one book by Tom Lloyd and we both did not finish one series by the author.

I decided for myself not to jump into the new series as I own copies of all five Twilight Reign books.

For me it makes much more sense to finish the series first.
It seems I have to go through my shelves over at GOODREADS in order to identify all the unfinished series where I own copies ... 

But that is something completely different and it is a task which will take some time ....



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Go Alex, go
Author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh  is not far away from an epic milestone. If you do not know Alex J. Cavanaugh, his excellent  Cassa trilogy
-- On October 17th 2010, I posted my review of CassaStaR (October 19th,2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0981621067]
-- On December 21st 2011, I posted my review of CassaFirE (February 28th, 2012, pb, 240 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-0982713945]
-- On September 17th 2013, I posted my review  of CassaStorM (September 17th, 2013) [Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] [E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019]

and his great blog,
then take the opportunity to take part in following giveaway:



This blog is nearing 2000 GFC followers and to celebrate, I’m hosting a giveaway!

Here’s the rules: 

Must be a GFC follower. (If you’re following in another manner, time to click that GFC button!)
Open to everyone.
Open until the magic number 2000 is hit and holds for one day.

To enter:

Leave a comment. Current followers get five entries, followers after 1962 get ten entries, and follower number 2000 gets twenty entries. (One comment per person.)

Tweet about it – five entries.(@alexjcavanaugh)

Blog about it – ten entries. (Leave a link here. Bonus five entries for creativity!)

Prizes:

First place – Signed copy of one book, $10 iTunes card, and one book donated to the library (middle school, high school, public) of your choice.

Grand prize – Signed copy of all three books, $10 iTunes card, t-shirt of your choice from Neat-O-Rama, designed by Retro Jeremy Hawkins, and three books donated to the library of your choice.





Recycling
Nowadays recycling is getting more and more important as more and more people understand that resources on Earth are limited. But what do you know about recycling in the past?
There is a really impressive post about recycling in Victorian Paris over at The History Girls. I recommend the following post to everyone who is interested in history and recycling.



The Green Wall
To be honest, I know there is the Great Wall in China but I never heard about the Green Wall until today. Read the following post over at the WebUrbanist and you may agree that the described project is something worth to support. Unfortunately I'm not free of doubts if this project will come true.

12-County Coalition: Building the Great Green Wall of Africa


ABC
Yes, I know and you know that these are the first three letters in alphabets based on Latin alphabet. Do you remember the ABC books you got in your childhood?  Today I invite you to enjoy  a
over at The Public Domain Review



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.


Point and Click

Today I do not share movie trailers with you. The reason for that is a mail with the header


The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief, Gothic series, Panzer Elite, Painkiller, Aquanox 1 and 2, and more exciting Nordic Games titles 60% off!  

which I received from GOG.com. Formerly known as Good Old Games, GOG is a sale and distribution service for PC games. I'm sure a lot of you receive newsletters and ads from different companies. Of course the above mentioned mail is related to a promotion -
The Nordic Nights Weekend Promo until 27 January 2014 at 23:59 PM EST.


I like GOG.com because they offer something which I like:  Good Old Games!
In the 1980s and 1990 I have  been a big fan of the Sierra On-Line games. It was a time when a good story counted more than graphics.
I also remember that the introduction of the point and click interface was a kind of revolution especially for graphic adventures games.
I can't remember the exact date when I lost interest in such kind of games and to be honest it does not matter here and now.
The more important thing is that my interest in old games and especially my interest in point and click games returned.
I entered the promotion site mentioned above in order to check the 24 games included.  And to my surprise the list contains point and click games and some of them show a release date in 2012 and 2013!
I could not resist and watched trailers and video reviews of following games:

The first one is a detective mystery consisting of three episodes:
The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief

The story
"The Raven – Legacy of a master thief is a thrilling crime adventure in three episodes from the creators of „The Book of Unwritten Tales“. Full of twists and turns, it immerses you in both sides of the story, combining thrill-of-the-chase whodunit with the risk and reward of a heist story.

Paris, 1960: Europe is in the grip of the gentleman master thief The Raven. His burglaries are spectacular and he always emerges unscathed. Young hotshot investigator Nicolas Legrand stuns the public when he confronts the master thief and fatally wounds him.

London, 1964: An ancient ruby – one of the legendary „Eyes of the Sphinx“ – is stolen from the British Museum. At the crime scene: a raven feather. Is somebody trying to follow in the Ravens footsteps? – Legrand is back on the case.

At the same time in Zurich a phone rings. Constable Anton Jakob Zellner looks up from behind a mountain of files. He has no idea what lies hidden in a bank vault, just a few hundred meters away from him. As he reaches for the receiver his life takes a crucial turn…" [Source]
The trailer

The game is available in English and in German.
Of course I read several reviews and watched some video reviews. I recognized that there is a difference between reviews from Germany and reviews From USA. The German ones are more positive.
It is definitely a game for people who enjoy point and click adventures and who can't get enough of Agatha Christie novels.


For more information please visit The official Raven site and if you would like to purchase a copy for $ 9.99 (valid until 27 January 2014 at 23:59 PM EST) then head over to  The Raven at GOG.com

I bought a copy - my wife is interested too - spent the afternoon with download and will play a bit after I have finished this post.


The second game has been mentioned in the description of the first game. I talk about The Book of Unwritten Tales

The story

"The Book of Unwritten Tales is a humorous Point & Click homage to the RPG and fantasy genre.
 In a world torn by war, the aged gremlin archaeologist Mortimer MacGuffin harbours the dark secret of a powerful artefact. Whoever calls this artefact his own, will determine the fate of the world. While the Army of the Shadows sends out its best and most devious agents to discover the secret, the Alliance's four heroes find themselves involuntarily drawn into the crisis..." [Source]
The trailer


So far, so good. It was the following video which convinced me and my wife to purchase a copy.

If this is the kind of humor you like then you should visit the Official site for detailed information. You would like to play a demo first? No problem at all. Just follow THIS LINK which lead you to a list of download mirrors. 

if you would like to purchase a copy for $ 7.99 (valid until 27 January 2014 at 23:59 PM EST) then head over to The Book of Unwritten Tales at GOG.com.

Of course I look forward to play this game too ...



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I think I follow the following advice well when it comes to quotes ....



"When a thing has been said and well, have no scruple. Take it and copy it.

Anatole France, French novelist, 1844 - 1924

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The ending of that second trailer was great with the tiny monster hugging his leg.
Thanks for mentioning the Epic 2000! Never thought I'd see that number.
Except for the early wake up call from your cat, sounds like a good morning. I like lazy Saturday mornings. It's the only day during the week I get to sleep in.

Zoltán Gecse said...

This week had been very exhausting to me. Lot of stuff at home and work, so I wanted to let out the steam. Friday I night I played Call of Duty 2 with my friends. It was great and bring it back the old memories. We played till 2:30 after midnight... But I had to get up at 7:00 morning because of the little one. And I had to get up 6 o'clock morning today. I'm a little bit tired now.

I planned to read some pages from a book or a rulebook one our unplayed boardgame, and I'll hopefully do it right after I read out the internet. :)

I love GOG.com, and I bought many games from them.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Sleeping in, reading before having to start the day.. sounds idyllic.
Having time to play games too, sounds pretty good.
I am tempted to head across to GOG.
Or see if I can find them on STEAM.
Then I will be looking for more time to explore the games.
I used to love the Sierra games too. Back in the day.

Glad you have had time to read. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
please apologise the delay in my comment but there was not much time left for activities beside work.

I have had a first look at the Book of unwritten tales and it is indeed full of humor.

Always a pleasure to mention your awesome blog.
I have had a great weekend followed by a terrible week.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,
please apologize the delay in my comment but there was not much time left for activities beside work.

I have had a great weekend followed by a terrible week.
So I understand you very will. But sometimes it is necessary to spend time with friends despite the lack of sleep.

GOG.com ist great and I'm sure I will buy more games in future.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
please apologize the delay in my comment but there was not much time left for activities beside work.

I have had a great weekend followed by a terrible week.

So my time to play has been limited to the weekend.
Anyway I like the old games. I think these games are also offered over at STEAM. I have been lucky because there was a sales campaign at GOG. So I could buy the games at a lower price.

I played a lot of the Sierra games from Larry to all the Quest series.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...