Saturday, January 04, 2014

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1401

Hello and welcome to issue #1401 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
This is the first issue of Edi's Weekend Wave in 2014.  From reading and blogging  point of view it has been a good start. Yesterday I posted my first review in 2014 and this is my third post for this week :-)  This exactly the start I needed.. On next Monday I return to work. That means back to limited time for activities. But I try my best to deliver good stuff.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Get a digital copy of  The Return of the Free by Mark Lord for free
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. First World War Centenary
  2. Moriarty
  3. Paranoia or 1984
  4. Knocking down the walls
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Sherlock

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to language

The Lighthouse

This is the fourth day of 2014 and I'm more than happy with my reading progress. I finished A Study in Silk on 29th of December and Revelation Space on 31st of December 2013. With these two books I achieved my reading goal of 50 books in 2013. Furthermore I finished my first book in 2014 on the 1st of January 2014!


I finished

- A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" A good start into a new series.
There are steampunk elements combined with dark arts, detective story, romance and a look behind the scene of the Victorian nobility.

Romance is not my cup of tea. Therefore I skimmed over the romance passages.
The main character Evelina Cooper is the niece of Sherlock Holmes. But from my point of view it was not really necessary to involve him and Dr. Watson.

Anyway I will read the following two books
- A Study in Darkness and A Study in Ashes"



- Revelation Space (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-0441009428; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B001QL5MAA] by Alastair Reynolds.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"My fist Alastair Reynolds book.

I'm stoked! Great story and strong characters. An excellent potion of science and an unexpected end. An intimate play on the galactic stage.

Looking forward to read the next book in the REVELATION SPACE series."


- Sherlock Holmes: The Will of the Dead (pb, November 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1781160015] by George Mann
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"My first book in 2014 and it is a good one.
I read several reviews of the book and it seems that some reviewers did not inform themselves what to expect before reading the book.

As stated on the back of the book this is
A NEWBURY & HOBBES UNIVERSE NOVEL
That means you will not get a "plain" Sherlock Holmes novel.
Steampunk is part of the Newbury & Hobbes Universe.

That means to complain about the Steampunk part of the book shows clearly a lack of information.

For me George Man delivered exactly what I expected. The integration of Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in to the Newbury & Hobbes Universe. Beside the Steampunk elements it is the appearance of Inspector Charles Bainbridge who is the leading policeman in the Newbury & Hobbes Universe.

Beside the main story the book delivers with "The Humbleton Affair" a short story from the Newbury & Hobbes Universe starring Inspector Charles Bainbridge."




I'm

- 103 pages in of Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows (pb, 24th September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781081624] by Toby Venables.
After a long time I wanted to read historical fiction and the Guy of Gisburne reinvented was smiling at me. I could not resist ....

- 203 pages in Hive Monkey (pb, January 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-1781081662] by Gareth L. Powell.
I started to read the book yesterday and could not put it down .....


No progress


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

Unbelievable but true, this week I received just one paperback copy which I ordered in advance. I talk about Hive Monkey (pb, January 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-1781081662] by Gareth L. Powell which is the follow-up to ACK-ACK MACAQUE (pb, January 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781080603].
"The stunning follow-up to Ack-Ack Macaque, which featured the Spitfire pilot monkey hero of a computer game who turned out to be real. The first book was met with wide acclaim upon release.In order to hide from his unwanted fame as the spitfire-pliot-monkey who emerged from a computer game to defeat the dangerous coporation who engineered him, the charismatic and dangerous Ack-Ack Macaque is working as a pilot on a world-circling nuclear powered Zeppelin. But when the cabin of one of his passengers is invaded by that passenger's own dying doppelganger, our hirsute hero finds himself thrust into another race to save the world - this time from an aggressive hive mind, time-hopping saboteurs, and an army of homicidal Neanderthal assassins!" [Source]
Great stuff! If you liked the first book then you know what to expect.

Maybe you would like to have a look into the book. Fortunately you can read the first chapter HERE.




Get a digital copy of  The Return of the Free by Mark Lord for free
Mark Lord is a UK based writer and the editor of Alt Hist, the magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History. He is working on a new epic fantasy series named Empire of the Steppe. The first book in the series -  Empire of the Steppe - has been published in December 2013. Now you can get a digital copy for free over at

"Out of the steppe came a lone rider. A man of destiny whose prowess would change the world of the Bachyan nomads forever. He was not an enemy come to destroy the Bachyan, but a prodigal son returned to lead them to victory over those who would enslave them.

Taken by Nukush slavers when still a very young man, Jenraey has to learn fast to adapt to the civilisation of his new masters. He finds the ways of the Nukush strange – they worship no gods, but use a magic called science to power their weapons and drive their armies to conquest. Torn between his curiosity in the ways of this great Empire and his desire to return to his own, Jenraey knows that his people can only survive the onslaught of Nukush armies if they can change too.

The time of destiny is at hand and only a leader of legendary powers can prevail.

Will Jenraey be that man?" [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

First World War Centenary
From 28th of July 1914 to 11th November 1918 more than 16 million people died and more than 20 million people have been wounded [Source].A terrible event which changed the shape of the world. I t was a brutal war where compared to the 19th century wars more people died on battlefield then of disease afterwards.
Why do I write about? I assume we will get a lot of information but also novels around this war.
As a reader of fantasy, alternate history, historical fiction and history, I'm interested in to see what kind of books will be published. Of course I know that there will be a lot more in other media. There is for example the ambitious BBC project.

BBC reveals ambitious four-year First World War Centenary season

I will read at least one story written by one of my favorite authors which takes place in 1915.
I talk about  Sherlock Holmes: The Spirit Box (June 2014) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-

1781160022] by George Mann
"Summer, 1915. As Zeppelins rain death upon the rooftops of London, eminent members of society begin to behave erratically: a Member of Parliament throws himself naked into the Thames after giving a pro-German speech to the House; a senior military advisor suggests surrender before feeding himself to a tiger at London Zoo; a famed suffragette suddenly renounces the women's liberation movement and throws herself under a train.

In desperation, an aged Mycroft Holmes sends to Sussex for the help of his brother, Sherlock.
unlike the conflicts that took place in the 19th century when the majority of deaths were due to disease." [Source]

Potential readers should know that this won't be a "plain" Sherlock Holmes novel. It takes place in the Newbury & Hobbes universe like Sherlock Holmes: The Will of the Dead (pb, November 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1781160015]. Steampunk is part of this universe. I look forward to read how George Mann will handle the aged detective.


Moriarty
Does this name ring a bell for you? I assume there are only few people who do not think immediately of Professor James Moriarty the archenemy of Sherlock Holmes. But in this case I refer to Mary Moriarty. Who is/was Mary Moriarty? You will find the answer when you read following post over at The Cat's Meatshop:




Paranoia or 1984
That was my comment when I read THIS POST over at the WebUrbanist. This time I can't tell you the post title in advance because it would give away too much. Have a look and shake your head .....



Knocking down the walls
I think when you are interested in fantasy and in history it is nothing extraordinary to have an interest in weapons too. Siege and siege engines are known in fantasy and history.  There is an interesting and informative post t over at English Historical Fiction Authors.




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I like to see Benedict Cumbebatch playing Sherlock Holmes in the BBC television series. The third series will be aired in Germany on Easter 2014.  Here is an appetizer





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Language makes a difference ....


"After twelve years of therapy my psychiatrist said something that brought tears to my eyes. He said, 'No hablo ingles.'

Ronnie Shakes, stand up comedian, 1947 – 1987

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The Sherlock series is great.
The George Mann Holmes books sound really good. It's one thing to go into a book without expectations, but to not know there are steampunk elements is dumb, especially if it's right there in the synopsis.

Rosalie Skinner said...

It is great to see Sherlock back on TV. We watch Elementary too.
Having so many books to read is just a bonus. Thanks for the heads up. :)

The new year has so many great books on offer.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
a lot of people like especially this Sherlock Holmes series.

Sometimes people just ignore information which is sad wspecially in the case when they write reviews.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
it seems this Sherlock Holmes series has friends all around the world.

So true what you wrote about the books.
And there are still the ones from 2013, 2012, 2011, .... which wait to be read ...

It seems one has to get picky and to hope to make the right choices ....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...