Saturday, December 28, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1352

Hello and welcome to issue #1352 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
This is the last issue of Edi's Weekend Wave in 2013.  When I look at the posts I did this year, I feel sad. So few reviews. I must say I disappointed myself. It is the same with reading specific books. I hope 2014 will be a better one when it comes to reviews.




ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
  2. Get a digital copy of  Hounds of Autumn by Heather Blackwood for free
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Fractal art
  2. Prison
  3. A special landscape
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Transcendence

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to lap

The Lighthouse

I updated my list of books I read in 2013. Darkwalker has been number 48. I'm pretty sure that I will finish A Study in Silk and  until 31st of December 2013. That means I will achieve 50 books in 2013. This is not bad when I look at the time I could spent for reading.


I finished

- Darkwalker (pb, digital 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0451419989; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00C5QULVK] by E L Tettensor.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" What a debut novel! What an excellent start of a series!

A new world with Victorian traces. A dark mystery with detective novel elements and paranormal bits.
A main character who will not be loved by every reader. I must admit that after 50 pages I thought I will not like him but there is so much character development...

As one can read on the author's site, she likes her stories the way she likes her chocolate: dark, exotic, and with a hint of bitterness.

To be honest, that is exactly what you get.

Looking forward to read more books starring Nicolas Lenoir."




I'm


- 423 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.

- 356 pages in Revelation Space (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-0441009428; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B001QL5MAA] by Alastair Reynolds.
My first book and I'm impressed. It was hard for me to put down the book. I will definitely continue to read the series

No progress


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another

On 24th of December I talked about the famous Revelation Space series by Alastair Reynolds.  I could not resist and bought a digital copy of the first book in the series:

Revelation Space (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-0441009428; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B001QL5MAA] by Alastair Reynolds.
"Nine hundred thousand years ago, something annihilated the Amarantin civilization just as it was on the verge of discovering space flight. Now one scientist, Dan Sylveste, will stop at nothing to solve the Amarantin riddle before ancient history repeats itself. With no other resources at his disposal, Sylveste forges a dangerous alliance with the cyborg crew of the starship Nostalgia for Infinity. But as he closes in on the secret, a killer closes in on him. Because the Amarantin were destroyed for a reason—and if that reason is uncovered, the universe—and reality itself—could be irrecovably altered…." [Source
I'm so happy that I bought a copy and started to read. I spent most of the day reading the book. I nearly forgot to eat. Excellent SF stuff.





Is it a good idea when an author use characters from other authors? From my point of view it always depends on the result. I never read Oliver Twist by Charles Dickens. I know the book from TV and film adaptions. So the Artful Dodger is not unknown to me. What about you? Following scene shows Following scene give you an impression. Actor Jack Wild was well known for his Artful Dodger performance. Just have a look at following scene:

But what happened to the Artful Dodger after the events described in Oliver Twist?
Author James Benmore offers an answer in his debut novel  Dodger (pb, digital) [ISBN-13: 978-1780874678; Kindle Edition ASIN:   B00ANJW3P8] .
"London, 1850s.

After five years in an Australian penal colony, the Artful Dodger returns to London in search of a hidden fortune. Unaware of the fate that befell Twist, Fagin and Sikes, Dodger revisits the criminal underworld of Dickensian London to seek out his old comrades, any of whom might possess the key to the treasure.

He finds the city a changed place from his youth: with law and order upheld by a new police force, Fagin gone to the gallows, his old gang scattered and danger around every corner." [Source]
I'm fascinated by Victorian London. When I saw the cover and read the blurb, I was hooked. Now I own a digital copy.

Maybe, maybe, maybe, this will be the first book to start with in 2014 .........
 



Get a digital copy of  Hounds of Autumn by Heather Blackwood for free
Last week I told you how much I liked
- Hounds of Autumn (digital, 2013) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00AZMU8W8] by Heather Blackwood
"It is 1890, and the windswept moors hold dark secrets. Chloe Sullivan is an amateur inventor whose holiday takes a dark turn when her friend and colleague, one of the few female mechanical experts in the British Empire, is murdered.

A black mechanical hound roams the moors, but could it have killed a woman? And what secrets are concealed within the dark family manor?

Accompanied by her naturalist husband and her clockwork cat, Chloe is determined to see her friend’s killer found.

But some secrets have a terrible cost." [Source]

I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I like steampunk. I like the Victorian era. I like mysteries.

This was a surprising good read. It was exactly my cup of tea.

A fascinating female main character. A lot of twists and turns. The book breathe the Victorian era and the steampunk elements are integrated into the story.

I hope and wish that Heather Blackwood will write more steampunk mysteries.
"

Now you can get a digital copy of Hounds of Autumn for free until 31st of December 2013 over at


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



Fractal art
is something fascinating. The WebUrbanist presents the combination of buildings and fractal art. Enjoy following post:
Architectural Kaleidoscopes: Buildings Spun into Fractal Art


Prison
What would be English history without prisons? One of them is Newgate prison which was in use for over 700 years.  There is an informative post over at English Historical Fction Authors.
Have a look at Newgate Prison by Evelyn Tidman


A special landscape
We all know that you can do a lot if things with books beside reading. There is one example over at the WebUrbanist which is impressive. Have a look at
Encyclopedic Landscape: Artist Carves 24-Volume Book Set


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Johnny Depp is one of my favorite actors. So I look forward to his appearance in the 2014 SF movie Transcendence where a fatally ill scientist transfer his character into a computer.





That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I'm not sure if I posted the following quote before. Nevertheless I can the truth of the quote based on daily experience ....


"If a dog jumps in your lap, it is because he is fond of you; but if a cat does the same thing, it is because your lap is warmer.

Alfred North Whitehead, English philosopher and mathematician, 1861 - 1947

6 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

I have finished 13 books this year which is not a great achivement, ~1 book/month.

The Transcendence looks interesting. Jack Sparrow in the computernetwork? ;)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The fractual art buildings were cool. Reminds me of Spirograph, that kid's game.
Looking forward to the movie.
And you forgot to eat? Now that's a good book!

ediFanoB said...

Dear Zoltán,
I'm sorry to read that you did not find more time for reading. I hope every book you rad was worth the time you spent for it.
I have an advantage when it comes to reading. My daughter is 22 years old. Your children are a lot younger and you need time for them.

Anyway I wish you more time for reading in 2014.


ediFanoB said...

Dear Alex,
I remember Spirograph too :-)

From my point of view "Revelation Space" is a kind of epic "hard" SF.
It is really different compared to your Cassa series.
I like both.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, Happy New Year...
I have been away from the computer for some time.
No good reason, just family commitment.
At present I am finally preparing Adrift for release in the new year.
Hope you have a wonderful year in 2014. Full of reading and sharing your findings with us!
Take care, keep safe and enjoy the final moments of 2013.
Thanks for your friendship and all your work/reviews/posts for the last 12 months. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie, Happy New Year,

sometimes we need a kind of break.It is most important that you and your dear and near ones are well.
Hope 2014 will be a great year for you.
Thank you so much for your suppoert in 2013.

As posted in my New Year rsolution, I will read and review the outstanding Caleath books.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...