Saturday, December 14, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1350

Hello and welcome to issue #1350 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Ten days to go until Christmas Eve. Instead of snow we get fog and rain. To look out of the window is disencouraging. Fortunately I found a lot of interesting things while searching material for this post.  I look forward to the evening because my wife and I will go to cinema and watch ....... The Desolation of Smaug!!




ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Book Covers
  2. Well Known and Unknown
  3. Fans and Admirers
  4. A Bridge Like No Other
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Father and Sun
  2. The Author
  3. The Immortal

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to zoo

The Lighthouse

17 days left until the end of 2013. So far I managed to read 45 books. It seems to achieve the mark of 50 books is out of reach. I hope 2014 will be a better year when it comes to reading.
Nevertheless I'm happy that I could finish one more book last week.

I finished

- Cat's Paw (pbl, digital, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0988805422; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FM7OHOQ] by Heather Blackwood
Iwrote on GOODREADS:
" Cat's Paw continues the story from The Clockwork Cathedral and it is an excellent second book in the series.
A lot of time travels, character development, a touch of magic and an end with more open questions.

Fortunately book three - Luna Park - is available and I own a copy :-) ...."






No progress

- 286 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


It still happens. Isee a cover, read a blurb and know immediately that I must have a copy, a paper copy. This was the case when I discovered Darkwalker (pb, digital 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0451419989; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00C5QULVK] by E L Tettensor.

"He used to be the best detective on the job. Until he became the hunted...

Once a legendary police inspector, Nicolas Lenoir is now a disillusioned and broken man who spends his days going through the motions and his evenings drinking away the nightmares of his past. Ten years ago, Lenoir barely escaped the grasp of the Darkwalker, a vengeful spirit who demands a terrible toll on those who have offended the dead. But the Darkwalker does not give up on his prey so easily, and Lenoir has always known his debt would come due one day.

When Lenoir is assigned to a disturbing new case, he treats the job with his usual apathy—until his best informant, a street savvy orphan, is kidnapped. Desperate to find his young friend before the worst befalls him, Lenoir will do anything catch the monster responsible for the crimes, even if it means walking willingly into the arms of his own doom…..." [Source]

Darkwalker is the first book in the Nicolas Lenoir series. Discover the world of E L Tettensor and Nicolas Lenoir by visiting the official website, by reading and excerpt and an essay by following THIS LINK, by reading the interview over at The Bibliosanctum - ATTENTION!! There is a giveaway open to US and Canadian residents ending on 16th of December 2013 attached to the interview.
The blog mentioned on the back of the book - erintettensor.blogspot.com - is no more longer valid.




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Book Covers
Even I try to select books I want to read based on blurbs, book descriptions and reviews, I can't deny that from time to time it is purely the cover why I wan to get a book. The cover has definitely an impact on the decision whether people buy a book or not. There is an excellent post which underline the importance of a cover. Just read



Well Known and Unknown

Sir Arthur Conan Doyle is the well known creator of the immortal Sherlock Holmes. But do you know that he also wrote historical fiction?
Head over to Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History and read



Fans and Admirers
There are Sherlock Holmes fans all over the world. Some admirer the detective and his author in secret. There are also many, many Sherlock Holmes Societies.  And of course there are sites dedicated to Sherlock Holmes.
In the past days I discovered a Hungarian site which I really appreciate:
sherlockian-sherlock.com


A Bridge Like No Other
We all know famous bridges like the Golden Gate Bridge or the Tower Bridge which has a high-level walkway. Do you know extraordinary pedestrian bridges? I know now one since I headed over to the WebUrbanist and read following post:


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I can't tell you how happy I am because I discovered following video because it is something reall special.  In cas you don't know, this interview from 1927 is the only existing filmed interview with Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.  I watch it again and again and listen to the voice of the creator of Sherlock Holmes.



The youngest son of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle - Adrian Malcolm Conan Doyle (19th November 1910 - 3rd June 1970) founded the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Foundation in Switzerland in 1965.


I found an interview with Adrian Malcolm Conan Doyle which offers a lot information from family point of view.

Adrian Conan Doyle Interview (Part 1/3)

Adrian Conan Doyle Interview (Part 2/3)

Adrian Conan Doyle Interview (Part 3/3)


The following five part documentation offers more about the life of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and relations to his  most famous hero. The embedding function as been disabled. So you have to follow the links to watch the videos.

Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) 1 of 5


Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) 2 of 5


Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) 3 of 5


Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) 4 of 5


Sherlock Holmes (Sir Arthur Conan Doyle) 5 of 5


There are a lot of documentations about Sherlock Holmes available. I must say that I like the following one which is enlightening and entertaining.

Elementary My Dear Viewer (Sherlock Holmes documentary)


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Last week I talked about my disappointment resulted from the disimprovement of some sources. It seems I was not the only one. Some of the changes have been removed and now I can use them again.

Following quote fits to the boo I finished today. Now I need to find out which is the right medicine for my soul.....


"Zoo: An excellent place to study the habits of human beings.

Evan Esar, American Humorist (1899 - 1995)
You might also like:

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Thanks for all the links, information, and videos on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle!
And saw The Hobbit last night - you and your wife will enjoy the roller coaster ride.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I hope you will enjoy the new Hobbit movie. Unfortunately I think I won't see this episode at the cinema... But I'd like to watch it very much.

I found an article which could be interest you (About reading every book): http://what-if.xkcd.com/76/

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

always a pleasure to share links. I must say I like Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

The Hobbit was not bad but I missed what I call "magic moments" as delivered in the The Lord of the Rings films.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

thank you very much for the link. I read the article with great interest.
I must say I would be happy to read all the books I collected in the past years. But I know I will own enough books when I retire and maybe have to stop buying books ...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...