Saturday, December 07, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1349

Hello and welcome to issue #1349 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I "survived" another week. Nevertheless there have been three things which I enjoyed. I discovered a new time travel series, I finished two books and my wife and I went shopping to a button shop. So many gorgeous buttons ..... 



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Book Covers
  2. Special Kind of Bingo
  3. Cinerama
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. More Hobbit Stuff

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to memory

The Lighthouse

The best day for reading is Sunday. But with spending a few hours on one day it is impossible to achieve a proper progress. At least I continued to read one of my long term readings and I put my nose in a book I discovered last week. This is not my month due to two facts: Depressing weather and exhausting work. I was so happy that I finished a book last Sunday and wanted to spend more time for reading. I ended up with 227 pages in six days!!! Really disappointing.

I finished

- Shadow of the Serpent (pbl, digital, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1846971938; Kindle Edition ASIN: B006WB2BDU] by David Ashton
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"David Ashton is an excellent author. I love his writing. Inspector McLevy is a great character. The description of Edinburgh is awesome and the use of old words and Scottish words (I admit I had to use an online Scottish dictionary several times) is the cherry on the cake when it comes to authencity.
After reading the firts book in the series I understand why the original Inspector McLevy may have been an inspiration for Sir Arthur Conan Doyle."



- The Clockwork Cathedral (pbl, digital, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0988805415; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00CZBR74O] by Heather Blackwood
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I really like time travel stories. This one was a real surprise because I found an unexpected gem.
It is really different compared to time travel books I read. Nothing like go back in time to save the world. It starts with a simple accident and the desperate tries to return to the time where the story started. But there is much more ....
There is a real end and a cliffhanger at the same time.
This is the first book in a series and I can't wait to read the other two available books."



I'm

- 56 pages in Cat's Paw (pbl, digital, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0988805422; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FM7OHOQ] by Heather Blackwood



No progress

- 286 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.


- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another


The free digital books offer over at Amazon ist tempting. I do not deny that I check offers more or less regularly. So far I found some interesting books from authors I never heard about before.
That is eaxctly the point when it comes to a time travel series new to me. I got the second books for free. After having a look at the site of the author, I bought a copy of the first book in the series. As I enjoyed it so much I bought a copy of the third book.
I talk about Heather Blackwood and her The Time Corps Chronicles series.

The Clockwork Cathedral (pbl, digital, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0988805415; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00CZBR74O] by Heather Blackwood
"Medical student Felicia Sanchez is only trying to help an injured man when she slips through a time rip and into a 19th century New Orleans, one very different than the one she knows from history books.

The only person who can get her home is Professor Seamus Connor, a former convict seeking a quiet life of obscurity. But even the “mad Irishman” knows that recreating a freak accident is next to impossible.

With the help of a local street urchin, they discover that their problems run deeper than solely getting Felicia back to her own time. The three of them must unravel the secrets of a steam engine that operates upon a scientific impossibility and the mysteries of a grand cathedral at the center of town, where clockwork automatons perform for rapt audiences.

But can a convict, a guttersnipe and an accidental time traveler prevent the destruction of a city and the death of thousands? Others are watching, and Felicia may not be the only time traveler in New Orleans." [Source]

Cat's Paw (pbl, digital, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0988805422; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FM7OHOQ] by Heather Blackwood
"Time Travelers aren’t born. They’re made.

Determined to return a twenty-first-century woman to her own world, Professor Seamus Connor has spent six long years—since 1857—in his laboratory without success. Desperate to help her, he will do anything…even team up with his worst enemy.

In a country torn apart by the Civil War, Seamus’s young ward, Hazel, tries to make a life for herself in New Orleans. She has the chance at a happy, stable life, but a promise from a man from the future proves too tempting to resist.

Long before he worked with the Time Corps, Neil Grey had another job, one that used all his cunning, strength and ingenuity. It was good work, or so he always believed. But the more he learns, the more he discovers that he might be a cat’s paw: a tool used by another.

Together, they travel from a world ruled by science and reason into one of bizarre impossibilities. Inhabited by mythical ships and people who are not what they appear to be, in this world the fantastical is real and reality is never what it seems." [Source]

Luna Park (digital, 2013) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00H3RF7QA] by Heather Blackwood
"Astrid dreams of escaping a dull job at the California boardwalk and moving to New York for art school. But after a series of unexplainable events, she is forced into a conflict spanning multiple worlds. Her fate is tied to Yukiko, an odd woman with a puzzling abilities and dubious motives. Together, they must discover the secrets of the borderland between reality and illusion, our world and others.

Meanwhile, Astrid’s cousin Elliot has troubles of his own. One day, he’ll be Neil Grey’s partner in the Time Corps. But for now, he’s a young surfer with strange dreams, ones that could predict time slips and even the future.

The Time Corps aren’t the only ones who can create doors between worlds. And doors can open both ways." [Source]




As I enjoyed Shadow of the Serpent (pbl, digital, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1846971938; Kindle Edition ASIN: B006WB2BDU] by David Ashton so much, I could not withstand to buy digital copies of two more books in the series.

Fall from Grace (pb, digital, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1846970504; Kindle Edition ASIN: B006WB2B7Q] by David Ashton
"Number two – Fall from Grace – a darker affair. Loss of reputation, a dangerous and dissatisfied wife, a homo-erotically inclined cold-blooded murderer, McLevy’s past in the shape of his mother’s suicide and insanity back to haunt him; all led to a wild night-storm and the Tay Bridge disaster. The fall out from that terrible accident permeates the rest of the novel and though there is a deal of McLevy’s black wit some additional humour comes in the shape of one William McGonagall – I am very fond of Mister McGonagall – he sacrificed his whole life to produce some of the worst poetry the world has ever seen and his dreadful verse is a macabre counterpoint as all these strands collide. McLevy ends up in the ocean with a desperate man for company. And the inspector cannot swim." [Source]




A Trick of the Light (pb, digital, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1846970504; Kindle Edition ASIN: B006WB2B7Q] by David Ashton
"Third up – Trick of the Light – covers mesmerism and the American Civil War. A satanic monster bent upon revenge stalks the Edinburgh rooftops to avenge past treachery and McLevy once more shakes hands with death. Arthur Conan Doyle makes appearance as unpaid assistant and by dint of a mighty arm and hard cricket ball, earns the inspector’s thanks. Yet at the end, a beautiful woman dies for nothing, Doyle’s heart is broken and James McLevy has deep and dark secrets that he keeps to himself. Not unlike a writer. Writing books almost kills me. But not quite. At the back of my head, a burly figure waits in the darkness ready to investigate should I be untimely slain by lethal fiction. My hero." [Source]











No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Book Covers
Even I try to select books I want to read based on blurbs, book descriptions and reviews, I can't deny that from time to time it is purely the cover why I wan to get a book. The cover has definitely an impact on the decision whether people buy a book or not. There is an excellent post which underline the importance of a cover. Just read



A special Kind of Bingo
Like me you like books and like me you know thiss sometimes hidden but mostly obvious wish to classify books into genres and subgenres. For me it seems that more and more publishers and authors try to add the flag "Steampunk" to their books. Of course there are definitions of Steampunk. But which criteria classify a book as a Steampunk book?
Help is on the way over at Fantasy Faction in form of following post which I recommend to read



Cinerama
I assume you know the articles about the next big thing. So I was curious to read the following post over at Dark Roasted Blend
It is another excellent post and should be of interest for anyone who goes to cinema or watch TV.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

Only a few days left until I can see parts of the following video on a big screen ....
Anticipation is growing from day to day ....


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Last week I talked about my disappointment resulted from the disimprovement of some sources. It seems I was not the only one. Some of the changes have been removed and now I can use them again.

Following quote fits to the boo I finished today. Now I need to find out which is the right medicine for my soul.....


"Creditors have better memories than debtors.

Benjamin Franklin, one of the Founding Fathers of the United States, (1706 - 1790)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The covers for Blackwood's books are stunning.
Glad you had time to read this week!
And VERY stoked for the The Hobbit. So far, all reviews say it is even better than the first - and I really dug the first one.

Kimberly said...

Wow, lots of really great sounding books here!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
please aplogise the delay in my answer.
Heather Blackwood's time traveling books surprised me.

I was so happy to read.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Kimberly,
thanks for stopping by. Glad you found something interesting.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...