Saturday, November 30, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1348

Hello and welcome to issue #1348 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
What a terrible month for me. I feel totally drained. Where has my energy and my imagination gone to? Again and again I catch myself staring meaningless on the screen and into open books, I miss what people are saying to me. I need all remaining energy for my job. To prepare this post took hours and from my point of view it looks like I found some words and pictures which I put together randomly .
Another hiatus is no option because I know when I stop now it will be the end of the Lighthouse. I'm still convinced that my condition will change - but I do not know when. Until then I hope you will bear a book blog without reviews.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Who in fiction are you?
  2. Alchemy
  3. Code breaking machines
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Ad

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms

The Lighthouse

The best day for reading is Sunday. But with spending a few hours on one day it is impossible to achieve a proper progress. At least I continued to read one of my long term readings and I put my nose in a book I discovered last week. This is not my month due to two facts: Depressing weather and exhausting work. I was so happy that I finished a book last Sunday and wanted to spend more time for reading. I ended up with 227 pages in six days!!! Really disappointing.

I finished


- no book


I'm

- 286 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.
150 pages progress

- 55 pages in Shadow of the Serpent (pbl, digital, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1846971938; Kindle Edition ASIN: B006WB2BDU] by David Ashton
You will find more information about the author and the book in the Books section of this post.



No progress

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.


- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
Of course I bought books and copied digital copies for free in the past four weeks. It would go beyond the scope of this post to present them all at once.


I received my paperback copy of Cold Steel (pb, 2013) [ISBN13: 978-1841498867]  by Kate Elliott which is the third and final instalment in the Spiritwalker Series.
"Trouble, treachery, and magic just won't stop plaguing Cat Barahal. The Master of the Wild Hunt has stolen her husband Andevai. The ruler of the Taino kingdom blames her for his mother's murder. The infamous General Camjiata insists she join his army to help defeat the cold mages who rule Europa. An enraged fire mage wants to kill her. And Cat, her cousin Bee, and her half-brother Rory, aren't even back in Europa yet, where revolution is burning up the streets.

Revolutions to plot. Enemies to crush. Handsome men to rescue.

Cat and Bee have their work cut out for them." [Source]


I read and liked the first book of the trilogy a lot. I'm really good when it comes to collecting series but I'm worse when I comes to reading a complete series.


I got a digital copy of Shadow of the Serpent (pbl, digital, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-1846971938; Kindle Edition ASIN: B006WB2BDU] by David Ashton for free.
"Known as the father of forensics and a likely influence on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, real-life police inspector James McLevy is here reinvented by David Ashton in this the first thrilling Inspector McLevy Mystery, Shadow of the Serpent. 1880, Edinburgh, Election fever grips the city. But while the rich and educated argue about politics, in the dank wynds of the docks it's a struggle just to stay alive. When a prostitute is brutally murdered, disturbing memories from thirty years ago are stirred in McLevy who is soon lured into a murky world of politics, perversion and deception—and the shadow of the serpent." [Source]
Where to begin? I'm a bit addicted to the Victorian era which is no secret when you follow my blog regularly.
There was no way out for me to download the free digital copy of Shadow of the Serpent after reading the description. Then I started my investigation because I wanted to know more about the author, the book and the main character inspector James McLevy. David Ashton is an author and actor. I like the story about how David Ashton discovered James McLevy.
"My hero.

I found James McLevy at the British Library in 1999; he was falling to pieces at the time.

“The Other Side,” a film for by BBC2. Conan Doyle (Frank Finlay) meets a dubious cove (Richard E Grant), who claims he is Sherlock Holmes. A veiled woman lurks in the shadows.

In the research I came across mention of an actual Victorian detective called McLevy who was one of the first practising policeman to write a diary of his experiences on the streets. The city was Edinburgh.

The requested book arrived reluctantly but at last lay before me, pages curled and yellow, gnarled cover warped and arthritic, all held together by a dingy white ribbon tied in a bow. I pulled gently on the ribbon, a puff of dust, and there was James McLevy. He and I, like Holmes and Watson, have been partners ever since.

The writing was anecdotal, street crimes McLevy solved in four or five pages, but the boundless appreciation of his own worth plus soaring flights of self-basting philosophy thrilled me to the bone. The word “anal” could never be applied to Jamie McLevy so stick it somewhere else." [Source]

David Ashton "fell in love with" James McLevy and this is the result so far:
- Nine McLevy radio play series  each containing of four episodes with a duration of 45 minutes each plus a 90 minute Christmas special in 2006! [Source]
Duration: 45 min each
- Four books
and more to come.
For me this is really impressive.
After reading the first 50 pages of Shadow of the Serpent  I'm intrigued. James McLevy is a fascinating character. Anyway I can't read the book without a dictionary because there are a lot of old words which I do not know. But that doesn't hinder me to enjoy the book which is like a real travel back in time. I definitely want to read the other books.

 The inspector is no fictional character. James McLevy was born in 1796 and died in 1875. He became Edinburgh's first detective in 1833 and served 30 years and solved 2.200 cases during this time. He published books and there are suggestions saying that they have had some influence on Sir Arthur Conan Doyle. Is it possible to get hand on the books written by James McLevy? There are reprints but for me they are not affordable. Fortunately I found a digital copy which contains a collection of his cases.
McLevy The Edinburgh Detective (digital, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B00ANO4YB4] by James McLevy
"Edinburgh has provided the backdrop to stories of detection for almost a century and a half. In the 1860s, a few years before Conan Doyle began his medical studies at Edinburgh University, there appeared a hugely popular series of books with titles including Curiosities of Crime in Edinburgh, The Sliding Scale of Life and The Disclosures of a Detective. They were all the work of one James McLevy, an Edinburgh policeman. The now largely forgotten, McLevy was one of the first exponents of the crime genre and a likely influence on the creator of Sherlock Holmes. Like Conan Doyle, McLevy had an Irish background. He was born in Co Armagh, the son of a small farmer. Largely self-educated, he joined the Edinburgh police force in 1830 as a night watchman before rising up through the ranks to become a detective. The collection of stories in this book are based on some of the 2,220 cases he dealt with in the course of his career, wonderfully evoking the spirit of the city, and the vivid descriptions of its criminal classes as they moved between the very different worlds of the Old and New Towns." [Source]



For more information about James McLevy follow these links - LINK ONE, LINK TWO.
He tried to involve forensic   lived from 
In 1833 he became Edinburgh's first detective and




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Who in fiction are you?
Sometimes I like to take part in surveys who are related to literature and personality. Today I came across one which gives surprisingly good results.  Try it yourself and answer the questions over at Who in fiction are you?

So who am I?
"You are Mr. Darcy from Pride and Prejudice
Your efficient, knowledgeable and rational approach to life makes you a great asset to most organisations even if your introversion prevents you taking centre stage. People may find you reserved to the point of rudeness and, indeed, you may blame others for miscommunications before addressing the faults in your own communication skills.
You value time to reflect and digest problems even if some people may find you undemonstrative at times, but, given time, you will often come up with an insightful and apt response to most situations – and will go to great lengths to help out your friends when their sisters run off with scoundrels."
 To be honest there is a lot of truth in this answer. I would like to know who in fiction are you. Maybe you like to share your result with me in the comment section.



Codebreaking
In WW II Germany used a cipher machine named Engima. Especially Polish and British cryptologists worked on machines to break the Enigma code and they found the answer in form of the cryptologic bomb. There is an interesting post with impressive pictures over at Dark Roasted Blend. If you like to know more then read



Alchemy
To turn metal in gold. A dream dreamed for centuries. To let this dream come true has been one of the objectives of Alchemy.Did you know that Sir Isaac Newton and King Charles II showed interest in Alchemy? There is an enlightening post over at English Historical Fiction Authors. Have a look at


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

I know it is an ad but I love it.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

It is sad. All the sources I used to find quotes follow the trend of disimprovement. I do not want to spend hours searching for quotes.
Within the next days I will decide what to do instead.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Shadow of the Serpent sounds right up my alley!
Sorry the work has been draining. Which Saturday this coming month did you decide to work? At least you will get Christmas Day to relax. Sounds like you need it.

Zoltán Gecse said...

You should get some day-offs. For example the Fridays which can longer to your weekends.

I can feel your drained status, because I have the 3 children, my job with yearly planning, massive data-servicing and reporting period.

In Hungary we should go to work Saturdays at 7th and 21st December because we get a day before Christmas and 1st January as holidays.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
in the meantime I finished Shadow of the Serpent and I must say I like it a lot.

Maybe I can avoid to work on 15th of December. Nevertheless I have to work in the evenings too. That is one of the reasons why I'm late with my comment.

I look forward tomy days off which I need to relax.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

of course it would be great to have some days off. but that is not possible before Christmas. Company is closed between Christmas and New Year. So I have to wait some more days.
You have tough days too. As we both are not rich people, we have to work and try to make the best.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...