Saturday, November 23, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1347

Hello and welcome to issue #1347 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
While reading posts on the blogs I follow, I recognised that I'm not the only one having trouble to find enough time for reading, blogging ad reviewing. On the one hand this is sad and the other hand it is a kind of cold comfort. Anyway I will find time as I do not want to shut down my blog.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Beards
  2. Giveaway
  3. Gost Hunt in Victorian London
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Books, Flying Books, Fantastic Flying Books

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Find a teacher

The Lighthouse

This is not my month due to two facts: Depressing weather and exhausting work. I was so happy that I finished a book last Sunday and wanted to spend more time for reading. I ended up with 227 pages in six days!!! Really disappointing.

I finished

- CyberStorm (digital, pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BT4QRHG] by Matthew Mather
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Well executed disaster story with intense characters and twist and turns.
For me it was a five star book until I read the end.
Without giving away anything substantial I was a bit disappointed by the explanation of the cyberstorm. I expected more details."


- Crocodile on the Sandbank (pb, 1975) by Elizabeth Peters which is the first book in the Amelia Peabody series and at the same time the first book in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW].



I'm

- 241 pages in the Amelia Peabody's Murder Mystery Omnibus (digital, pb, 2012) [Kindle Edition ASIN: B007PRZJAW] by Elizabeth Peters.

"Amelia Peabody is Elizabeth Peters' most brilliant and best-loved creation, a thoroughly Victorian feminist who takes the stuffy world of archaeology by storm with her shocking men's pants and no-nonsense attitude!
In this first adventure, our headstrong heroine decides to use her substantial inheritance to see the world. On her travels, she rescues a gentlewoman in distress - Evelyn Barton-Forbes - and the two become friends. The two companions continue to Egypt where they face mysteries,mummies and the redoubtable Radcliffe Emerson, an outspoken archaeologist, who doesn't need women to help him solve mysteries -- at least that's what he thinks!
Join our plucky Victorian Egyptologist , together with her devastatingly handsome and brilliant husband Radcliffe, in another exciting escapadeWhen Lady Baskerville's husband Sir Henry dies after discovering what may have been an undisturbed royal tomb in Luxor, she appeals to eminent archaeologist Radcliffe Emerson and his wife Amelia to take over the excavation. Amid rumours of a curse haunting all those involved with the dig, the intrepid couple proceeds to Egypt, where they begin to suspect that Sir Henry did not die a natural death, and they are confident that the accidents that plague the dig are caused by a sinister human element, not a pharoah's curse.
The irascible husband of Victorian Egyptologist Amelia Peabody is living up to his reputation as 'The Father of Curses'. Denied permission to dig at the pyramids of Dahshoor, Emerson is awarded instead the 'pyramids' of Mazghunah - countless mounds of rubble in the middle of nowhere. Nothing in this barren spot seems of any interest but then a murder in Cairo changes all of that. The dead man was an antiques dealer, killed in his shop, so when a sinister-looking Egyptian spotted at the crime scene turns up in Mazghunah, Amelia can't resist following his trail. At the same time she has to keep an eagle eye on her wayward son Rameses and his elegant and calculating cat and look into the mysterious disappearance of a mummy case...
The 1985-96 season promises to be an exceptional one for Egyptologist Amelia Peabody, her dashing husband Emerson and their precocious eight-year-old son Rameses. The much-coveted burial chamber in Dahshoor is theirs for the digging. Yet there is a great evil in the wind that caresses the hot sands sweeping through the bustling streets and marketplaces of Cairo. An expedition cursed by misfortune and the daring moonlit abduction of Rameses alerts Amelia to the presence of her arch-enemy, the Master Criminal. And his is now a personal quest for the most valuable and elusive prize of all: vengeance on the meddling lady archaeologist with the parasol who has sworn to deliver him to justice...Amelia Peabody herself!" [Source]
I bought the omnibus in November 2012. I came across the digital copy while searching for a more "light" read as I failed to enjoy one of my current reads.

No progress

- 136 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.
A small progress

- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
Of course I bought books and copied digital copies for free in the past four weeks. It would go beyond the scope of this post to present them all at once.

I like time travel and when I discovered Time Fall (digital, 2012)[AMAZON ASIN: B00D4WEQQ0] by Timothy Ashby for free, I did not hesitate to download a digital copy to my reader.
"“Their odds of returning alive are about the same as playing Russian Roulette with five loaded chambers -- one in six."

On a secret mission, Lt. Art Sutton’s team of US Rangers parachutes into Nazi Germany weeks before the end of World War II … and vanishes.

Missing in Action for seven decades.

2011. Sutton’s team lands on target in Bavaria. Unaware of the passage of time, the Rangers begin their operation: sabotage, assassinations and assaults on military targets. Believing the Rangers to be terrorists, modern Germany’s elite counterterrorism unit - led by unrepentant Nazi Hanno Kasper - hunts them.

Wounded and left behind after a gun battle, Sutton realizes that he has landed in a future world very different from 1945. He races against time to save his men, knowing that Kasper has given the order:

Take no prisoners." [Source]

Following book aroused my interest and maybe it is interesting for you too. It is neither epic fantasy nor steampunk nor historical fiction nor ..... It is a book  about books. Read the blurb and decide on your own.
The Rabbit Back Literature Society (pb and digital, 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1908968982; AMAZON ASIN: B00FIP8Y6O] by Pasi Ilmari Jaaskelainen
""She came to realise that under one reality there's always another. And another one under that." Only very special people are chosen by children's author Laura White to join "The Society", an elite group of writers in the small town of Rabbit Back. Now a tenth member has been selected: Ella, literature teacher and possessor of beautifully curving lips. But soon Ella discovers that the Society is not what it seems. What is its mysterious ritual, "The Game"? What explains the strange disappearance that occurs at Laura's winter party, in a whirlwind of snow? Why are the words inside books starting to rearrange themselves? Was there once another tenth member, before her? Slowly, disturbing secrets that had been buried come to light - In this chilling, darkly funny novel, the uncanny brushes up against the everyday in the most beguiling and unexpected of ways" [Source]





No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Beards
Did you ever think about the role of beards in fantasy, mystery and historical fiction? If you want to know more about this, I recommend to read
over at The History Girls, I wore a beard while I was at university. But that was a long time ago. I got read of my beard after university ....


Giveaway
Today I want to let you know that Seventh Star Press is running a really awesome giveaway.
 For details please visit

Feel the Fire II Contest Featuring Kindle Fire HDX Now Live!


Ghost Hunt in Victorian London
There are still so many things I do not know about the Victorian era and Victorian London. I know there are many books about the Victorian era but it is impossible to read them all. Therefor I like it a lot when I discover post who tackle topics related to the Victorian era. Since I read
over at The History Girls, I know that in Victorian London people hunted ghosts. Amazing and strange!



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

No movie trailer today. Instead I want to share with you a touching short movie. No more explanations. I hope you find 15 minutes to let you yourself be mesmerised by
The Fantastic Flying Books of Mr Morris Lessmore (2011)



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Following quote fits to the boo I finished today. Now I need to find out which is the right medicine for my soul.....

"The books we read should be chosen with great care, that they may be, as an Egyptian king wrote over his library, "The medicines of the soul.

Paxton Hood

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That video was so imaginative! And all without a single word. Always impressed with the treasures you dig up, Edi.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I have been totally mesmerised by the video.
I'm glad to share such gems with you and everyone who reads my blog.

To be honest to dig up such things takes more than just five minutes per week ....
I love to stroll around in the net.

Beth said...

I'm in love with the rabbit book cover. I mean, completely in love. Might have to buy it just for the cover.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Beth,
I understand you very well. Fortunately next month is Christmas .....

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...