Saturday, November 16, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave #issue 1346

Hello and welcome to issue #1346 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
While reading posts on the blogs I follow, I recognised that I'm not the only one having trouble to find enough time for reading, blogging ad reviewing. On the one hand this is sad and the other hand it is a kind of cold comfort. Anyway I will find time as I do not want to shut down my blog.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another 
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Vertiginous
  2. Length of a series
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Robocop

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Find a teacher

The Lighthouse

At least I found time to finish one book and just 70 pages left in a second book. I struggle a bit with reading fantasy.

I finished

- Caversham Lock (digital, 2012)[AMAZON ASIN: B00A3VLV68] by Michael Stewart Conway
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This was a positive surprise!
I got a free copy of the book which revealed news for me about a specific Victorian era crime- "Baby-Farming" - in a most entertaining way.
This is the story of Detective Constable Jim Furnival and Detective Sergeant Harry Stubbs in the hunt of one of the most profilic baby farm murderer: Amelia Dyer.

I like the writing style of the author which brings the story to life. The author did a lot of research which I can confirm because I checked a lot of things.
There is much more to discover beyond Jack the Ripper when it comes to Victorian crime.

For more information I recommend to have a look at
Amelia Dyer and Baby Farming

Fortunately there are two more Furnival and Stubbs novels available and I own digitial copies of them."



I'm

- 271 pages in CyberStorm (digital, pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BT4QRHG] by Matthew Mather
Gripping and realistic!
"Sometimes the worst storms aren't from Mother Nature, and sometimes the worst nightmares aren't the ones in our heads.

Mike Mitchell, an average New Yorker already struggling to keep his family together, suddenly finds himself fighting just to keep them alive when an increasingly bizarre string of disasters start appearing on the world's news networks. As the world and cyberworld come crashing down, bending perception and reality, a monster snowstorm cuts New York off from the world, turning it into a wintry tomb where nothing is what it seems..." [Source]
Gripping and realistic! I'm sure I will finish the book tonight.





No progress

- 136 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.
A small progress

- 98 pages in The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 172 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,


- 175 pages in Deadhouse Gates (pb, 2006; first published in 2000) [ISBN-13: 978-0765348791] by Steven Erikson




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
Of course I bought books and copied digital copies for free in the past four weeks. It would go beyond the scope of this post to present them all at once.


My collection of books related to the Victorian era is growing. My latest acquisition is something special. Author  George Augustus Sala was a journalist and lived from 1828 to 1895. The following book has been published for the first time in 1859. That means it is a book written by a contemporary time witness.

Twice Round the Clock: Twenty Four Hours in Victorian London (digital, 2012)[AMAZON ASIN: B00563H2NO] by George Augustus Sala

"'Twice Round the Clock' is the defining work of George Augustus Sala (1828-1895) — a tour of 1850s London sights and sounds — one chapter for each hour of the day — published in 1859.

Sala was a prolific journalist, one of Dickens's protégés at the magazine 'Household Words': a colourful character, a bon viveur who seemed to spend much of his life on the cusp of bankruptcy. He was known for his drunken habits and quarrelsome manner. It is not insignificant, perhaps, that much of his early writing provides graphic descriptions of different examples of the capital's pubs and gin palaces.

'Twice Round the Clock' itself is something of a masterpiece. Written in over-wrought, exaggerated prose, full of Classical and literary allusions — rather rich, even by Victorian standards — it remains fascinating reading for anyone who loves either the ebullient language and literature of the mid-Victorian period or its social history. Sala himself chose to pre-empt his critics in the book's preface, damning his own work, with heavy irony, as: 'flippant, pretentious, superficial and yet arrogant of knowledge; verbose without being eloquent; crabbed without being quaint; redundant without being copious in illustration; full of paradoxes not extenuated by originality; and of jocular expressions not relieved by humour'. In fact, Sala's writing reveals not one iota of self-doubt, except submerged in his patent desire to impress and entertain the reader — a task in which he succeeds.

There are many, many gems herein for the social historian. To take some random examples, here we have Sala on the food enjoyed by Victorian gentlemen when dining out:

"See the pyramids of dishes arrive; the steaming succession of red-hot chops, with their brown, frizzling caudal appendages sobbing hot tears of passionate fat. See the serene kidneys unsubdued, though grilled, smiling though cooked, weltering proudly in their noble gravy, like warriors who have fallen upon the field of honour. See the hot yellow lava of the Welsh rabbit stream over and engulf the timid toast. Sniff the fragrant vapour of the corpulent sausage. Mark how the russet leathern-coated baked potato at first defies the knife, then gracefully cedes, and through a lengthened gash yields its farinaceous effervescence to the influence of butter and catsup. The only refreshments present open to even a suspicion of effeminacy are the poached eggs, glistening like suns in a firmament of willow-pattern plate; and those too, I am willing to believe, are only taken by country-gentlemen hard pressed by hunger, just to 'stay their stomachs,' while the more important chops and kidneys are being prepared."

Or here he describes, marvellously, the typical young foppish man-about-town of the period:

"'Swells.' I use the term advisedly, for none other can so minutely characterise them. Long, stern, solemn, languid, with drooping tawny moustaches, with faultlessly made habiliments, with irreproachable white neckcloths, with eyes half-closed, with pendant arms, with feet enclosed in mirror-like patent boots, the "swells" saunter listlessly through the ball-room with a quiet consciousness that all these dazzling frivolities are provided for their special gratification — which indeed they are."

I should note that I have toyed with Sala's text in two small ways — I hope he forgives me. First, I have moved the author's lengthy dedication/preface to the end of the book (where so many prefaces belong); second, I have added a brief explanatory sub-title, lest 'Twice Round the Clock' seem too mysterious to browsing readers. In exculpation for these changes, I have retained the forty-six illustrations by William M'Connel which graced the original.

I hope is that this digital copy may bring both Sala and 'Twice Round the Clock' the wider audience they deserve.

Lee Jackson" [Source]




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Vertiginous
 I admit I have a problem with height not only in the real world. Even pictures make me feel giddy. So it took me more time than usual to look at all the pictures in following post over at Dark Roasted Blend
 


Series
I love to read series with returning characters who develop. A few days ago author Alex Bledsoe shared his opinion about the length of a series with the reader of his blog.:



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

There will be a new  Robocop movie in 2014 which is a remake of the 1987 Robocop. Will be interesting to the the difference between the two movies.


That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

The older I get the more critical I get when it comes to the question to finish a book or not. In most cases I decide after 50 pages if I like a book or not. There is one exception. If I get a trustworthy recommendation that it takes some more pages until a book reveals its real reading pleasure then I skip my rule. Following quote fits perfectly to my rule ...

"A physicist is an atom's way of knowing about atoms.

George Wald, US biologist, 1906 -

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Series should definitely have an end!
Will have to pick up Cyber Storm.
And saw the Robocop trailer. I understand they are reinventing it more than remaking it. That one I might have to see.

Zoltán Gecse said...

I love series. Book or tv or movie, doesn't matter. I love when thes series are long, but have the rightful claim to get an decent, satisfying end.

I have bad feeling about the Robocop remake. I'll definetelly miss the gore factor of the original one(s). It should have been better, if we had got an R or PG18 category of film straight to DVD or VoD.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I agree with you that series should definitely have an end.
I hope you will like CyberStorm.
Will be interesting to see the final version of the Robocop remake.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,
I love series too and I agree with you when it comes to an end of a series.

We have to wait for the final version of the Robocop remake in order for the final judgement.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...