Sunday, October 06, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1340

Hello and welcome to issue #1340 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I'm sorry for the delay. My wife and I attended a weekend sewing course. I work on a long jacket. I will post a picture when the work is done.
On Monday I return to work after a few days off which I used for reading and to recharge my battery.

ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB




  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Fantasy Worlds
  2. Historical Maps
  3. Sliding Facade
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Desolation of Smaug

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to money

The Lighthouse

I finished two more books! I'm really happy with my reading progress.



I finished

- Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" The Warden - The return of a terrific and fascinating character in a dark and grim fantasy story full of twists and turns."

- Blackout (digital, 2010) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B0053YQBT2] by  Connie Willis.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Connie Willis is a time travel writer par excellence. IIncredibly good! I love it. Can't wait to read All Clear."


I'm

- 43 pages in A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.


- 360 pages in The Thousand Names (2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0091949891; KINDLE ASIN:  B00CQ1D5LM] by Django Wexler.



No progress

I will return to following books soon. It is my gut feeling which decide what I read an my taste change within a day.  That is not nice for the authors but good books deserve good mood and full attention.

- the first chapter of The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 150 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,
No progress.




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

To my surprise I received one book today which I expected to be delivered on Wednesday next week.

I received just one book last week: The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781167427] by George Mann.
"A collection of short stories detailing the supernatural steampunk adventures of detective duo, Sir Maurice Newbury and Miss Veronica Hobbes in dark and dangerous Victorian London. Along with Chief Inspector Bainbridge, Newbury & Hobbes will face plague revenants, murderous peers, mechanical beasts, tentacled leviathans, reanimated pygmies, and an encounter with Sherlock Holmes." [Source]
A good choice for  all Newbury & Hobbes Investigations fans and for all people who would like to discover an excellent steampunk and adventure series.









I discovered following mesmerising and intriguing book description over at GOODREADS:
"Guy of Gisburne has a story, one the liar, Robin Hood, has obscured for centuries. In legend he was the Sheriff of Nottingham's henchman, the man who could not defeat Hood. But this errant knight, spy for the crown and hunter of Sherwood was never anyone's accomplice, or petty hoodlum. This thrilling reinvention of the Robin Hood legend is the beginning of a major new series. As George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman reinvented a character from Tom Brown's Schooldays, so Toby Venables finds Guy of Gisburne a character in the most thrilling episodes of his age.

England, 1191. Richard the Lionhearted, cutting a swathe through the Holy Land in his quest for glory, has left the realm bankrupt and leaderless. Only Prince John, his name blackened by the lies of his enemies, seems willing to fight back the tide of chaos that threatens the heart of England—a wave of anarchy embodied by the traitorous troublemaker known as "the Hood."

But John has a secret weapon: Guy of Gisburne—outcast, mercenary, survivor of Hattin, and now knight—a man wronged by Hood, disavowed, disinherited and all but destroyed by Richard. As an agent of John, he is sent to do his bidding and outwit enemy agents bent on England's destruction. With his world-weary squire, Galfrid, in tow, and equipped with some deadly 12th century gadgetry, Gisburne's first quest takes him from the Tower of London, along the pilgrim routes of France to the hectic crusader port of Marseille—leading him into increasingly brutal, bloody encounters with the man they call "The White Devil": the fanatical Templar, Tancred de Mercheval.

Relentlessly pursued on his way back to England, and aided by the beautiful Mélisande de Champagne—who has a secret of her own—Gisburne battles his way with sword, lance and bow. Through icy mountain passes and wolf-infested forests, he hurtles towards the inevitable, bitter confrontation at the Castel de Mercheval. But beyond it—if he can survive—lies an older and even more unpredictable adversary." [SOURCE]

This is the description and the cover of Hunter of Sherwood: Knight of Shadows (pb, 24th September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781081624] by Toby Venables.
I look forward to discover a different Guy of Gisburne as I know so far .....



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I like imaginary landscapes either described in books or painted or digitally created. There is a nice and inspiring collection over at the WebUrbanist:

A big thank you goes to Propnomicon for sharing an excellent link to historical maps. Attention!
Don't get lost in the excellent David Rumsey Map Collection. This is a cornucopia for fantasy and map lovers.

Go and have a look at following post over at the WebUrbanist which left me dumbfounded:


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I look forward to December 2013. Why? Have a look at following trailer ...




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Following advice is not helpful for the content of Dagobert Duck's Money Bin  ....

"The safest way to double your money is to fold it over and put it in your pocket.

Kin Hubbard,American journalist, cartoonist and humorist, 1868 - 1930

8 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

It's good to see your reading progress.

I also waiting for the 2nd Hobbit film, but I fear I'll able to watch it from DVD next year. :(

Rosalie Skinner said...

Guy of Gisbourne...sounds great. Richard Armitage springs to mind... I am going to read this one. :)
Happy sewing!!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cannot wait for The Hobbit!!!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

reading progress is good. Next step will be to write and post reviews ...

Does this means that the Hobbit film will not be available in cinemas in your country?

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,
sewing is great! I like it a lot.

By the way, it seems that there will be more books starring the Guy of Gisbourne.

Quote from Amazon book description:
"Guy of Gisburne has a story, one the liar Robin Hood has obscured for centuries. In legend he was the Sheriff of Nottingham's henchman, the man who could not defeat Hood. But this errant knight, spy for the crown and hunter of Sherwood was never anyone's accomplice, or petty hoodlum. This thrilling reinvention of the Robin Hood legend is the beginning of a major new series. As George MacDonald Fraser's Flashman reinvented a character from Tom Brown's Schooldays, so Toby Venables finds Guy of Gisburne a character in the most thrilling episodes of his age."

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

nothing to add to your comment!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Cool.. a series on Guy sounds like a great spin off from the Robin Hood legend, which has been done so many times.
Will be interesting to view history from Guy's perspective.

Keep sewing. :)

Zoltán Gecse said...

ediFanoB: No, it doesn't.

Simply I don't want to go the cinema alone. My family (especially my older children) will envy with me.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...