Saturday, September 28, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1339

Hello and welcome to issue #1339 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
I spent a lot of time for reading in the past week. I felt the need to do it and fortunately I had the time to do it. Now I hope to find time to finish some reviews.  The weather in our region is surprisingly good which means sunshine and moderate temperatures - a golden autumn. I really like spring and autumn. I look forward to tomorrow where we will meet with some friends and have a pick nick in a park. That means to have fun and fresh air.
Don't forget the CassaStorM giveaway which will end 1st of October 2013.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. An extraordinary book store
  2. Interview I
  3. Pubs and justice
  4. Interview II
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Book recommendation video

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to nothing to do

The Lighthouse

I can't remember the last time when I read four books in a week! Since 2009 I record the number of books I read within a year: 2009 = 61, 2010 = 54, 2011 = 71, 2012 = 81, 2013 = 36 so far. I know the number of books read is no equivalent for joy of reading. But  I want to enjoy as many books as possible. With some luck I will read 14 books more until the end of 2013 which leads me to the unavoidable question which books will be the ones.
I want definitely finish my three books in progress and the rest? I still don't know. After reading a lot of non epic fantasy stuff my will return to epic fantasy and time travel.



I finished

- Sherlock Holmes: The Stuff of Nightmares (August 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1781165416] by James Lovegrove.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I'm impressed.
a great approach to Sherlock Holmes and Dr. Watson in a Steampunk England."


- Aurorarama (first published in 2012) [ Hardcover ISBN-13:  978-1935554134; Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1612191317; Kindle Edition ASIN: B0040SY392; NOOK Edition ISBN-13: 978-1935554882] by Jean-Christophe Valtat (Twitter) is the first book in the The Mysteries of New Venice series.

"1908. New Venice--"the pearl of the Arctic"--a place of ice palaces and pneumatic tubes, of beautifully ornate carriage-sleds and elegant victorian garb, of long nights and vistas of ice.

But as the city prepares for spring, it feels more like qaartsiluni--"the time when something is about to explode in the dark." Local "poletics" are wracked by tensions with the Eskimos circling the city, with suffragette riots led by an underground music star, with drug round-ups by the secret police force known as the Gentlemen of the Night. An ominous black airship hovers over the city, and the Gentlemen are hunting for the author of a radical pamphlet calling for revolt.

Their lead suspect is Brentford Orsini, one of the city's most prominent figures. But as the Gentlemen of the Night tighten the net around him, Orsini receives a mysterious message from a long-lost love that compels him to act." [Source]
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"I gave four stars despite the fact I did not like a lot of parts.
There were too much drugs, myth and shamanism for my taste.
But the book is well written."

That means I will not continue reading The Mysteries of New Venice series which will continue in October 2013 with Luminous Chaosurorarama  [ Hardcover ISBN-13: 978-1612191416Kindle Edition ASIN: B007SGXEDO].

Even it is a YA series I'm a fan of the fantastic time travel series TimeRiders by Alex Scarrow which will end in June 2014 with the ninth and final book.
I reviewed the first three books in the TimeRiders series:

- MY REVIEW of TimeRiders (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326924] by Alex Scarrow 
- MY REVIEW of TimeRiders: Day of the Predator (2010) [ISBN-13: 978-0141326931] by Alex Scarrow
- MY REVIEW of TimeRiders: The Doomsday Code (February 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0141333489] by Alex Scarrow

I finished

- The Pirate King (2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337180] by Alex Scarrow

 -  TimeRiders: The Mayan Prophecy (digital, pb, December 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337197; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00B43OJWW] by Alex Scarrow


No progress

I will return to following books soon. It is my gut feeling which decide what I read an my taste change within a day.  That is not nice for the authors but good books deserve good mood and full attention.

- the first chapter of The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 150 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,
No progress.

- 157 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
No progress. 


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

To my surprise I received one book today which I expected to be delivered on Wednesday next week.

A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.

"Evelina Cooper, the niece of the great Sherlock Holmes, is poised to enjoy her first Season in London Society. But there's a murderer to deal with - not to mention missing automatons, a sorcerer, and a talking mouse ...

In a Victorian era ruled by a council of ruthless steam barons, mechanical power is the real monarch and sorcery the demon enemy of the Empire. Nevertheless, the most coveted weapon is magic that can run machines - something Evelina has secretly mastered. But rather than making her fortune, her special talents could mean death or an eternity as a guest of Her Majesty's secret laboratories. What's a polite young lady to do but mind her manners and pray she's never found out?

But then there's that murder. As Sherlock Holmes's niece, Evelina should be able to find the answers, but she has a lot to learn. And the first decision she has to make is whether to trust the handsome, clever rake who makes her breath come faster, or the dashing trick rider who would dare anything for her if she would only just ask." [Source]


Now you can check if this will be a book for you. Read the first 50 pages of A Study in Silk for free by following THIS LINK to get a first impression.
Anyway I recommend to read the really helpful review over at Book Spot Central.


I discovered following cover over at Alex J. Cavanaugh's latest blog entry.
It belongs to the short story My Killbot Buddy (digital; September 2013) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B00FD19KB6] by Rusty Carl.
And this is the description:
"Peter Sumner is a man who loves solving problems. He's done so for most of his life. But when he awakes early in the predawn of an otherwise indistinct fall morning, he discovers that he has more problems than he can deal with.

Being chained to a hospital bed, with no memory of the past decade or more, and finding out he is the most wanted man on the planet... all things he'd rather not deal with at the moment.

With only his great-grandson and a combat rated robot as allies, Peter has to stay alive long enough to figure out why the world wants him dead." [Source]
Description AND cover aroused my interest and therefore I bought a copy. I assume I will read it within the next few days and let you know my impression.


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Do you still visit book stores? I must say I do not often visit book stores because most of the book stores I know do not offer the books I like which is understandable when you know that I live in Germany and here the book stores offer mostly books in German.
Despite that I would like to visit the book store shown of at the WebUrbanist. Have a look at
Word Worship: Church Converted to Awe-Inspiring Bookstore


Interview I
Recently I won a hardcover copy of The Thousand Names (2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0091949891; KINDLE ASIN:  B00CQ1D5LM] by Django Wexler over at Pat's Fantasy Hotlist.
I recommend to visit Fantasy Book Critic and have a look at

Interview with Django Wexler (Interviewed by Mihir Wanchoo)




Pubs and Justice
Do you know how important the pubs have been for justice London from 18th to 19th century? I must say I was not aware. Fortunately there are blogs like the London Historian Blog who enlighten their readers with posts like the following one:

"The coroner frequents more public-houses than any man alive".



Interview II
In April 2013 I talked about Dream London (pb, October 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781081747] by Tony Ballantyne.  The cover is fascinating and the blurb is promising.
I recommend to read An Interview with TONY BALLANTYNE

over at Civilan Reader in case you would like to get more information about the book and the author.
In order to refresh your memory I post again cover and blurb. I hope to receive my copy within the next to weeks and it is definitely a candidate for the list of books I want to read until end of 2013.


"Captain Jim Wedderburn has looks, style and courage by the bucketful. He’s adored by women, respected by men and feared by his enemies. He’s the man to find out who has twisted London into this strange new world, and he knows it.
But in Dream London the city changes a little every night and the people change a little every day. the towers are growing taller, the parks have hidden themselves away and the streets form themselves into strange new patterns. there are people sailing in from new lands down the river, new criminals emerging in the east end and a path spiralling down to another world.

Everyone is changing, no one is who they seem to be." [Source]


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Sometimes I sit in front of my screen and think about what to show you. Today is such a day. I have had a look at a lot of different stuff but nothing convinced me.
Finally I discovered The David Pakman Show book recommendations on youtube.
The following book recommendation shows the book(s) I will read next:




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

To be honest I can't imagine that I have nothing to do. But I can't imagine to enjoy to do nothing when I have a lot to do. But maybe I did not understand the following quote in all its depths ....

"There is no pleasure in having nothing to do; the fun is in having lots to do and not doing it.

Mary Wilson Little,American author, 1880 - ?

1 comment:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That bookstore that was once a church was really impressive! It would be fun to explore.
Rusty is an awesome writer. I've enjoyed his other books and I'm sure this one is just as good.
Glad you got in so much reading this week!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...