Sunday, September 15, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1337

Hello and welcome to issue #1337 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Please apologise in the delay of the post. On Saturday I treated myself something luxurious after another exhausting week. I spent a whole day with reading and sleeping. Sometimes  it is necessary to do such things. I feel better now.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Fifty pages and a trailer
  2. The importance of Research
  3. An interview as a reminder
  4. Hatpin, umbrella, walking stick, cudgel, knuckleduster
  5. Again about The Official CassaStorM Blog Tour
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Great Exhibition

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote from a comment

The Lighthouse

In sum I read on two days. Last Sunday I enjoyed a short story and yesterday (Saturday) i read a full book.  Sounds strange but in then end I'm really happy with the result. really, really look forward to my days off. I asked myself why I buy books when I do not find enough time for reading. There is something wrong with me. I can't remember a time when I fell so often asleep while reading. I know that I'm no longer twenty years old and that work take its toll. This was not my week when it comes to reading. I did not finish a single book and spent more time for sleep than for reading. I'm still not able to read with closed eyes.


I finished

- The Adventure of the Wollaston Ritual (digital 2009) [Source] by Emma Jane Holloway
This short story is the prequel to the upcoming series Baskerville Affair by Emma Jane Holloway set in an alternate Victorian London and  starring Evelina Cooper, niece of the most famous Sherlock Holmes.
From my point of view the story gives a first impression of what to expect. The young heroine is curious, intelligent, sometimes impulsive and emotional. There is clockwork, mystery, magic and a touch of weirdness.
All in all a promising prequel.



- Maschinengeist (pb 2012, digital 2009) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-3867621205; Kindle Edition ASIN: B008EV2YCO] by Chris Schlicht.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"This is the third book I read in my first language within 2013 and all three belong to the genre Steampunk.
Maschinengeist is a mix of steampunk, alternate history and crime. It is a dark one and has nothing to do with an idyllic world.
The language fits to the story which is predictable at a certain point.
Nevertheless it is most entertaining and I devoured it within one day.
"


No progress

- the first chapter of The Invention of Murder: How the Victorians Revelled in Death and Detection and Created Modern Crime (digital 2011) [ Kindle Edition ASIN: B004FPYX72] by Judith Flanders.

- 150 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,
No progress.

- 157 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
No progress. 


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I neither expected a book and there was no time to discover more interesting books.
But when I came home from work on Thursday afternoon, a package from Tor/Forge.com waited for me. I never know in advance which books I will get. So each package from Tor/Forge.com is like a lucky bag. This time the content let me dance around the table.
I received a paperback copy of a book which was on my to buy list for October.





Thank you Tor/Forge.com for the copy of Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl (pb, US, 2013)[ISBN-13:  978-0765331571] by David Barnett.
"Nineteenth century London is the center of a vast British Empire. Airships ply the skies and Queen Victoria presides over three-quarters of the known world—including the East Coast of America, following the failed revolution of 1775.

London might as well be a world away from Sandsend, a tiny village on the Yorkshire coast. Gideon Smith dreams of the adventure promised him by the lurid tales of Captain Lucian Trigger, the Hero of the Empire, told in Gideon’s favorite “penny dreadful.” When Gideon’s father is lost at sea in highly mysterious circumstances Gideon is convinced that supernatural forces are at work. Deciding only Captain Lucian Trigger himself can aid him, Gideon sets off for London. On the way he rescues the mysterious mechanical girl Maria from a tumbledown house of shadows and iniquities. Together they make for London, where Gideon finally meets Captain Trigger.

But Trigger is little more than an aging fraud, providing cover for the covert activities of his lover, Dr. John Reed, a privateer and sometime agent of the British Crown. Looking for heroes but finding only frauds and crooks, it falls to Gideon to step up to the plate and attempt to save the day...but can a humble fisherman really become the true Hero of the Empire?

David Barnett's Gideon Smith and the Mechanical Girl is a fantastical steampunk fable set against an alternate historical backdrop: the ultimate Victoriana/steampunk mash-up!" [Source]

I admit I love the cover! There are so many details to discover from the man with the bird on his shoulder (you find him above the M of the author's name) to the three dirigibles at the top.

For more information about the book and the author I recommend to read the David Barnett interview over at My Bookish Ways.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Only a few weeks to go until the release date of the first book in the new series by Emma Jane Holloway
The Baskerville Affair

A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.

"Evelina Cooper, the niece of the great Sherlock Holmes, is poised to enjoy her first Season in London Society. But there's a murderer to deal with - not to mention missing automatons, a sorcerer, and a talking mouse ...

In a Victorian era ruled by a council of ruthless steam barons, mechanical power is the real monarch and sorcery the demon enemy of the Empire. Nevertheless, the most coveted weapon is magic that can run machines - something Evelina has secretly mastered. But rather than making her fortune, her special talents could mean death or an eternity as a guest of Her Majesty's secret laboratories. What's a polite young lady to do but mind her manners and pray she's never found out?

But then there's that murder. As Sherlock Holmes's niece, Evelina should be able to find the answers, but she has a lot to learn. And the first decision she has to make is whether to trust the handsome, clever rake who makes her breath come faster, or the dashing trick rider who would dare anything for her if she would only just ask." [Source]


Now you can check if this will be a book for you. Read the first 50 pages of for free by following THIS LINK.
Furthermore the Baskerville Affair trailer is available.


I think you assumed that I ordered a copy of A Study in Silk in advance. I expect the delivery beginning of October.


I really like it when authors talk about research for a book. I like it even more when the research takes place in places which you can't visit every day.
Author and friend of the blog Rosalie Skinner has been so kind to share part of her research for the next book in her Chronicles of Caleath series. Have you ever been on board of an old sailing vessel?  I haven't. Therefore I enjoyed the following two posts.

Aboard the Notorious... or "when a pirate ship docks in our harbour' 

Aboard the 'Notorious'... research for Adrift: In Search of Memory.



In 2009(!!!) I read and enjoyed Lamentation (pb, US, 2009)[ISBN-13:  978-0765360915] by Ken Scholes. I bought copies of Canticle (book two) and Antiphon (book three) and lost track.
Then I read following interview over at Layers of Thought which reminded me that there are series where I lost track and which are worth to return to:

Interview: Ken Scholes author of The Psalms of Isaak series



Hatpin, umbrella, walking stick, cudgel, knuckleduster
Sounds like an interesting mix. Let me tell you that these items where in use during the Victorian era. If you would like to get more information then I recommend to visit English Historical Fiction  Authors and read

Victorian Violence: Repelling Ruffians (Part Three)         by Terry Kroenung


As this will be one of blog highlights in 2013. I post again about the upcoming publishing date of
CassaStorM
(September 17th, 2013) 
[Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] 
[E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019]

Author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh celebrate his third and final book in the Cassa series with a blog tour and Edi's Book Lighthouse participate. The blog tour start on Monday and you can win awesome prices during the tour.

There are two events on September 17th. Alex J. Cavanaugh will teaming up with author Lynn Rush for his first ever Twitter party from 8-9:00 EST. Hashtag is #RUSHED and there will be chances to win prizes from both author. Edi's Book Lighthouse will present a CassaStorM review plus a short Q & A plus a giveaway. 

TOUR DATES AND PRICES [Source]

September
9 - The Non-Review
11 - The Unicorn Bell
15 - Anne R Allen’s Blog
16 – Literary Rambles
17 – Edi’s Book Lighthouse
18 - Mithril Wisdom
19 - Lynda Young
20 - Tossing It Out
23 - Under the Tiki Hut
27 – Cruising Altitude 2.0
30 - Write Now

October
4 - MsBookish
9 - The Writing Nut
11 - My First Book
14 - Untethered Realms
18 - Sia McKye Over Cofffe
21 - Stephen Tremp
28 - Sandra Ulbrich Almazan

November
4 - Donna Weaver
25 - Leave it to Livia

In addition, I am teaming up with author Lynn Rush for my first ever Twitter party on September 17 from 8-9:00 EST. Hashtag is #RUSHED and there will be chances to win prizes from both of us.


The week of my release, there will be an awesome prize package offered here for anyone who comments. And anyone who signs up to announce my book release that week (Taking the World by Storm) is eligible for this cool prize package: Cassa mug, Cassa mousepad, $25.00 iTunes gift card, and swag. You can sign up HERE. You have the option of just signing up or asking a unique question to go with your announcement post. (In addition to the questions, the information I send for the announcements will be different.)




That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

As I did not find a movie trailer worth to share with you, I continue with my travel back to the Victorian era. I admit I'm a big fan of BBC documentaries.

The topic of today is the Victorian Pharmacy. The whole documentation consist of four episodes and each episode last one hour.

Today I show you the first part and deliver the links to the remaining three episodes.
While watching the first episode I nearly forgot to finish this post.

The Victorian Pharmacy Epsiode One

The Victorian Pharmacy Epsiode Two

The Victorian Pharmacy Epsiode Three

The Victorian Pharmacy Epsiode Four

The pharmacy they used for the documentation is part of Blists Hill Victorian Town which is located near Birmingham in United Kingdom. I really would like to spend a day over there.
Following video give you a first impression of the location.

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

We share our life with two cats and I confirm that following quote is true ...

"Cats regard people as warmblooded furniture.

Jacquelyn Mitchard, The Deep End of the Ocean

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Barnett's cover is really cool.
Looking forward to Tuesday!! Thanks again, Edi.

ediFanoB said...

Tuesday is a tough day for me.
After a normal working day I have to work in the evening too!
Anyway I hope to find some time for the blog and for your event.

Thank you too!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Tuesday, my Wednesday... will try to be there Alex.
It was amazing to be aboard the 15Century Caravel the Notorious, Edi. Thanks for sharing the blog posts. It is hard to believe how small the ship is. Compared to the Bark Endeavour, which visited our harbour too and although a more modern ship, gave me many ideas. :)

Another great post. I know how you feel. So many books, so little time to read.
I love your quote. Cats are wonderful creatures. Allowing us to cater to their every will.
Have a good week.

bibliotropic said...

Victorian Pharmacy was an awesome series! Honestly, I'll watch just about anything Ruth Goodman is in, because I love her specific branch of historical study, and when I come across actually good historical recreation shows, chances are she's going to be in them. :p

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

please apologize the delay in my answer. That was a crazy week. I will write more about it within the next weekend post.

I think to see the real size of these ships let grow the respect for the people who sailed on them.



ediFanoB said...

Hello bibliotropic,

please apologize the delay in my answer. That was a really crazy week and I did not find time to reply.
That was the first I watched something with Ruth Goodman and I like it a lot.
Fortunately there are a lot of documentations available on youtube. Most of them will never be available on German TV.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...