Saturday, August 24, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1334

Hello and welcome to issue #1334 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
How fast a year pass. On August 25th 2012 I told you that my wife an I will visit a medieval fair in the wonderful town of Speyer. We did it again today! Unfortunately we had to copy with rain showers but that did not hinder us toe enjoy the fair. Now you know the reason for the delay of the post.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
  2. A book for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Bleeding Heart
  2. The return of Harry Lytle
  3. Breathe history
  4. LEGO and Brooklyn
  5. Crazy theories
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Riddick: Dead Man Stalking

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Quote related to mistakes

The Lighthouse

This was not my week when it comes to reading. I did not finish a single book and spent more time for sleep than for reading. I'm still not able to read with closed eyes.




I finished

no book



I'm

- 150 pages in the Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058] by Mark Lawrence,
Better a small progress than nothing.



- 199 pages in Seventy-Seven Clocks (digital, 2010) [Kindle Edition: B003M5IL24] by Christopher Fowler
This shows more twists and turns as expected ...
Last week I wrote that this is the first book in  the Bryant and May Mystery series.
This is wrong. Seventy-Seven Clocks is the third book in the series.


No progress
- 157 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
The book is good but as I said recently I must be i the mood for it.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received one paperback copy which I ordered in advance.

Beside a lot of other things I like books, libraries and magic. But I'm not keen to read vampire stories. When I read the description of the following book for the first time I was not one hundred percent sure if I wanted to read it or not. Finally a neurotic fire-spider  tipped the scales and I ordered a paperback copy of Libriomancer (August 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-0756408176] by Jim C Hines which arrived a few days ago.  Libriomancer is the first book in the Magic ex Libris series.
"Isaac Vainio has spent the past two years working at the Copper River Library in northern Michigan, secretly cataloguing books for their magical potential, but forbidden from using that magic himself . . . except for emergencies. Emergencies like a trio of young vampires who believe Isaac has been killing their kind, and intend to return the favor.

Isaac is a libriomancer, brilliant but undisciplined, with the ability to reach into books and create objects from their pages. And attacking a libriomancer in his own library is never a good idea.

But vampires are only the beginning. This was merely the latest in a series of attacks against members of Die Zwelf Portenære, a secret organization founded five centuries ago by Johannes Gutenberg to protect the world from supernatural threats. Among the casualties is Ray Walker, Isaac’s friend and mentor in magic.

Complicating matters further is the arrival of a dryad named Lena Greenwood. Lena packs a pair of wooden swords and proves to be quite adept at helping to beat down various magical threats. She also seems to be a little too interested in Isaac . . . not that he minds. Yet Lena’s nature could make her a greater threat than any vampire.

Along with a neurotic fire-spider named Smudge, Isaac and Lena set out to find and stop whoever is behind the attacks. But things are worse than Isaac imagined. An unknown killer of unimaginable power has been torturing and murdering humans and vampires alike. And Gutenberg, now more than six hundred years old, has disappeared.

As Isaac searches for Gutenberg and the murderer, hoping they aren’t one and the same, he uncovers dark secrets about magic’s history and potential. Secrets which could destroy Die Zwelf Portenære and loose a magical war upon the world. If Isaac is to have any hope of preventing that war, he will have to truly master the magic of libriomancy.

Assuming he doesn’t lose control and wipe himself from existence first." [Source]


A book for you?
Author K W Jeter is connected to Steampunk forever as he is the man who coined the term "Steampunk". I read and enjoyed his Steampunk novels Morlock Night (1979) and Infernal Devices (1987). Now the author returns to the world he left 25 years ago with Fiendish Schemes (hc and digital, October 2013; pb, Novelmber 2013) [HC ISBN-13: 978-0765374028, KINDLE ASIN: B00CQY7T3Y; PB ISBN-13: 978-0765330949]. I must say I'm really curious to read how the author tackle the topic with the background of rising popularity of Steampunk in society.  
"In 1986 K. W. Jeter coined the term "steampunk," applying it to his first Victorian-era science fiction alternate-history adventure. At last he has returned with Fiendish Schemes, a tale of George Dower, son of the inventor of Infernal Devices, who has been in new self-imposed exile…accumulating debts.
The world Dower left when he went into hiding was significantly simpler than the new, steam-powered Victorian London, a mad whirl of civilization filled with gadgets and gears in the least expected places. After accepting congratulations for his late father's grandest invention—a walking, steam-powered lighthouse—Dower is enticed by the prospect of financial gain into a web of intrigue with ominously mysterious players who have nefarious plans of which he can only guess.
If he can locate and make his father’s Vox Universalis work as it was intended, his future, he is promised, is assured. But his efforts are confounded by the strange Vicar Stonebrake, who promises him aid, but is more interested in converting sentient whales to Christianity—and making money—than in helping George. Drugged, arrested, and interrogated by men, women, and the steam-powered Prime Minister, Dower is trapped in a maelstrom of secrets, corruption, and schemes that threaten to drown him in the chaos of this mad new world." [Source]

No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

The Bleeding Heart
This is the title of the 11th book in the Bryant and May Mystery series by Christopher Fowler. The author shared details about the next book in his post

I'm nearly halfway throught the third book - Seventy-Seven Clocks (digital, 2010) [Kindle Edition: B003M5IL24] - I enjoy the mystery.  If you do not know the series I recommend to read the excellent article about the series by the author himself.




The return of Harry Lytle
Sometimes authors and readers need as much endurance as the Himalaya is high. In this special case I talk about the author Paul Lawrence and his The Chronicles of Harry Lytle series.
In April 2010 I reviewed The Sweet Smell of Decay (June 2009, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636426] and in June 2010 I reviewed A Plague of Sinners (May 2010, 448 p.) [ISBN-13: 978-1905636914]. I loved to read both books and could not wait for the third one. On October 11th 2011 Paul Lawrence posted following sad news:
"Death of a Publisher

11th October 2011

And on this day it came to pass that Beautiful Books went into administration. Sad news for many - and my sympathy to anyone who may have lost their job as a result.

In the meantime the Harry Lytle Chronicles are looking for a new home. Interested publishers should contact Tara Wynne at Curtis Brown." [Source]
Paul Lawrence started to search a new publisher for the third Harry Lytle book. The months passed by and he keipt informed his readers via Facebook and GOODREADS. And after a long, long time he found a new home for his book at publisher Allyson & Busby.
The 27th of January 2014 is the publishing day of AHearts of Darkness (hc, January 2014) [ISBN-13: 978-0749015275] !!
So far the cover is not available. But at least I can deliver the description.
"1666. London is recovering from the Great Plague and mourning its dead. The city is free at last, like a great old bear, beaten to its knees, bloody but unbowed. But the disease slithered out of London to wreak its evil upon other towns and cities. The worst was over, the Pestilence gone, in search of new feeding grounds, bounteous and plentiful in the villages outside of the London.

Henry Lytle, who works for Lord Arlington's intelligence service, is sent to Essex where the plague is breeding to track down a traitor and bring him back alive. But things get tricky when Lord Arlington's latest recruit for the mission is a man Lytle left dead. Having learnt first hand of Lord Arlington's barbaric cruelty, Lytle knows he can't refuse the job. Travelling into a disease-ridden village with a murderer seems like a better option." [Source]


I'm so happy that the series continues and my wife too who read the first two books recently.. 


Breathe history
Whenever I read fictional books I try to imagine the the landscape, towns, people and so on. It works up to a certain point. To visit historical places is  something which helps me a lot. There are castles, abbeys, houses where I really get lost. To go there is like a time travel.
I do not know if I will ever get the opportunity to visit The Lord Leycester Hospital which is an impressive and fascinating building. Why it is a building that breathe history?
Why is it that unique? The following post over at  English Historical Fiction, give the answer .....





Lego and Brooklyn
There is no question that I love what other people do with LEGO.  I found one more awesome example ove at the WebUrbanist. Have a look and you may understand why I behave like a child when I see such results.


Crazy Theories
Do you have a theory about the Universe, Life, Time or other things?
I like to read about theories and therfore I visited the WebUrbanist with great pleasure in order to read








That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


Sometimes I miss - for whatever reason - information about upcoming movies.
Doe this name  ring a bell?  So far the kick-ass character Riddick appeared in two movies, Pitch Black (released 2000) and The Chronicles of Riddick (released 2004). After nine years he found the way back to the screen. In September 2013 Riddick: Dead Man Stalking will hit the cinemas on both sides of the Atlantic.
"Left for dead on a sun-scorched planet, Riddick finds himself up against an alien race of predators. Activating an emergency beacon alerts two ships: one carrying a new breed of mercenary, the other captained by a man from Riddick's past." [Source]

I must say I enjoyed the first two movies and look forward to see the tird. Vin Diesel is the perfect actor for the role of Riddick. At first sight it looks like another action movie. But Riddick is different kind of character. There is always a plan behind his moves.




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

How do you copy with mistakes? .....

"When you make a mistake, admit it. If you don't, you only make matters worse.

Ward Cleaver

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm hoping Riddick harkens back to the original Pitch Black.
Libriomancer sounds interesting. That would be quite a talent.
Now off to check out the Lego Brooklyn.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great reviews. Sleep is good. Let me know when you master the art of reading while asleep. That would be useful.

The Libriomancer sounds great. Love the fire spider idea.

Riddick... the first movie was great. I look forward to the latest.

Hope you enjoyed the mediaeval fair. Pity about the rain. Lots of the movies you see in that era have mud strewn streets. So perhaps the weather was creating atmosphere for you.

We need rain here. Feels odd after the floods, but it is getting to the stage of needing to water the garden.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

I think we have to wait until Riddick returns to cinema for final judgement.

The Libriomancer appendix shows the list of books used within the story. There are even books which have not been written so far.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

I do not really like spiders. But this one is different.

We enjoyed the medieval despite the rain.

Floods does not mean tha there is enough water in the ground.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...