Saturday, August 03, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1331

Hello and welcome to issue #1331 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
 I try to spend more time for reading on days with lower temperature. No more talk about weather. In 2007 I started to read books in English. Since then I discovered a lot of new authors and read books which never will be translated to German. That was like to discover a new planet. I know there are also great books written in other languages which neither will be translated to English nor to German. That does not mean I will try to learn another language. Instead I prefer to reduce the number of unread books on my shelves. But that is difficult because I can't stop buying books. Yes, I still buy books beside the fact that I receive review copies. I like to decide on my own which book I would like to get in paperback format or as a digital copy.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
  2. A book for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. News from author Sabine Atkins
  2. Wood, Ships, Shipwright
  3. Cabinet of Curiosities
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Paper Crossbow
  2. Taj Mahal

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuote related to reservations

The Lighthouse

Fortunately there have been a few days with lower temperatures. So I could spent more time for reading. I hope to finish at least two books within the next few days. There are two books waiting which I promised to read and which I really want to read because both are the finally books in trilogies.



I finished

- no book



I'm
- 228 pages in The Executioner's Heart (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781160053] by George Mann
Such a great mix of Steampunk, supernatural and murder mystery.

- 210 pages in Gallow The Crimson Shield (July 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-0575115088; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BU1DFXW] by Nathan Hawke
There is more behind he story as one think at first sight. Splendid descriptions of fights and landscape and a character torn between two worlds.


- 157 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
A small progress.



No progress
- nothing


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I received a pre-ordered paperback copy, bought one digital copy and got one digital copy for free.

Let me start with the paperback copy of TimeRiders: The Mayan Prophecy (digital, pb, December 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0141337197; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00B43OJWW] which is the 8th and penultimate book in Alex Scarrow's fantastic time travel series TimeRiders. Even it is a young adult series, I like it a lot and I read six of the eight books so far. The final book will be released in 2014 and I'm sure I will read them all.
"Liam O'Connor should have died at sea in 1912.

Maddy Carter should have died on a plane in 2010.

Sal Vikram should have died in a fire in 2026.

But all three have been given a second chance - to work for an agency that no one knows exists. Its purpose: to prevent time travel destroying history . . .

When Maddy finally unlocks fragments of the secret that Becks has been holding on to, the TimeRiders start to piece together their true purpose. Racing through time to connect the clues, the team discover a Mayan tribe and an ancient relic provides a vital link to the past . . . and future.

But not all the TimeRiders can cope with the discovery, and one threatens to bring them all down if they can act out their revenge . . ." [Source]
The following book aroused my interest as it seems to deliver a complex story. I was not sure whether to by a copy or not. But when I recognised the astonishing low price, I bought instantly a digital copy of The Black Guard (digital July 2014, pb February 2014) [ISBN-13:  978-1781855645; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BAHDQ0I] by A J Smith.
I don't know how long the price will be valid. So checkout the links

Price on 2013-08-03 at
Amazon.com = 1.58 USD; Amazon.co.uk = 0.99 GBP; Amazon.de = 1,19 EUR

Read the description and build up your mind.
"The launch of an heroic fantasy saga set in the lands of Ro, an epic landscape of mountain fortresses, vast grasslands, roiling ocean and slumbering gods.

The Black Guard is the first in a major new fantasy series, The Long War, set in an invented world somewhat similar to medieval Europe in terms of technology, heraldry and ethics. Magic features in the world, but is rare and mostly confined to the various priesthoods. The city of Ro Canarn has been assaulted by Knights of the Red. Amongst them is a Karesian Enchantress of the Seven Sisters, intent on manipulating the men of Ro to her ends. Her Sisters intend the assault to be the first move in a longer game, a war intended to destroy worship of the Gods of men and bring back the malevolent Forest Giant of pleasure and blood.

The young Lord of Canarn, and one of his closest friends, plan a desperate gambit to take back the city, whilst his sister journeys north and confronts more of the Sisters' schemes as they try to conquer the rest of the lands of men.

Divided by geography and surrounded by enemies, a disparate group of Clerics, Priests, Knights, criminals and warriors must defeat overwhelming odds to seize back the lands of men from those unknowingly under the sway of the Dead God and his Enchantresses.

The Duke of Canarn is dead, executed by the King's decree. The city lies in chaos, its people starving, sickening, and tyrannized by the ongoing presence of the King's mercenary army. But still hope remains: the Duke's children, the Lord Bromvy and Lady Bronwyn, have escaped their father's fate.

Separated by enemy territory, hunted by the warrior clerics of the One God, Bromvy undertakes to win back the city with the help of the secretive outcasts of the Darkwald forest, the Dokkalfar. The Lady Bronwyn makes for the sanctuary of the Grass Sea and the warriors of Ranen with the mass of the King's forces at her heels. And in the mountainous region of Fjorlan, the High Thain Algenon Teardrop launches his Dragon Fleet against the Red Army. Brother wars against brother in this, the epic first volume of the long war." [Source]



Song of the Aura (digital March 2012, pb May  2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1470177294; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B007IX6RPO] by Gregory J Downs aroused my interest and I did not hesitate to download a digital copy for free. This is an omnibus of the previous serialized six parts.I know the description does not offer anythings new. It will be interesting to see how the goes. With more than 700 pages this is an epic story.

"Gribly is the best thief in Ymeer because of the hidden power he wields over the elements of the city. But one day a simple burglary goes horribly wrong, and soon an army of assassins and soldiers are hunting him. His only way out is to join Lauro, a prince-turned-vagabond, and Elia, an orphaned nymph girl, on an insane quest to find the abode of one of the mighty guardian spirits, the Aura. The only problem is, no one has seen them for hundreds of years.

It would be easier if people didn’t keep dying all around Gribly, and if he could convince the world the murders aren’t his fault- a hard task, since the killer looks exactly like him, and might be the only one who knows the truth of his past. One hero isn’t enough. Can three unlikely champions control their wildly unpredictable gifts, throw down a thousand-year-old tyranny, and challenge Fate itself? The more Gribly learns about himself, the more he wishes he hadn’t come on this adventure. But without him, his friends will die and the world will burn. The truth is inescapable:

Real heroes don’t have a choice." [Source]

A book for you?
First I saw the cover and I liked it. Second I read the two sentence description which did not reveal much. Mad Max came up in my mind. And this is the book I'm talking about:

Three (pb July 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0857663634] by Jay Posey is the first book in the Legends of the Duskwalker series.
 "The world has collapsed, and there are no heroes any more. But when a lone gunman reluctantly accepts the mantel of protector to a young boy and his dying mother against the forces that pursue them, a hero may yet arise." [Source]


I wanted to know more about the book. Therefore I read following two reviews:






Now I know it is a book which does not work without engagement of the reader.
Or as The Speculative Scotsman wrote:
" Indeed, Three represents a real roller-coaster if we're willing to play our parts. To engage with the world and the characters and the narrative in the same sort of way we may in a video game."
Or as written over at Beauty in Ruins:
"This is a book that demands a lot of the reader - a lot of patience, a lot of imagination, and a lot of faith that Posey knows where he's going with it all."
These statements and the rest of both reviews convinced my to order a copy of Three (pb July 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0857663634] by Jay Posey.




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

News from author Sabine Atkins
You may remember that I'm a fan of  her Varangian Trilogy. So far two books have been published and I reviewed both of them:



As everyone knows good books raise the expectation for the next book, especially when it will be the final book in a series. Sabine Atkins decided to take a break from the  Varangian Trilogy and to focus on two other projects: to raise a dog and to write a dystopian science fiction novel because of an intoxicating inspiration. Now the time has come to share the first results of the latter project.
Sabine Atkins invite interested readers to read the prologue and the first chapter of THE HURT CURCUIT for free! Just click on the following link


I read the excerpt and I like the setting and the character of Calen.





WOOD
Wood is an important resource in real life, in our history and of course in fantasy novels.
Wood is a resource which has been most important for shipwrights in the past centuries.
 Did you know that around 6000 trees were felled for the construction of the HMS Victory ordered in 1758?
There is quite an interesting post about the HMS Victory by author Julian Stockwin over at English Historical Fiction Authors:

HMS Victory by Julian Stockwin

You may think that shipwright has been a profession for men. That is not true. In 1773 Mary Lacy published her memoirs The Female Shipwright which have been republished by the National Maritime Museum. For more information about this remarkable woman and what she achieved disguised as a man I recommend to read following post over at The History Girls and over at The Dear Surprise.






Any idea how long was the longest wooden ship? Wikipedia provide a

The list contains a Russian ship named Belanya. Pictures of this ship are rare. But the great guys over at Dark Roasted Blend found a few and put them all together in a post. When you look at these pictures you will understand the title of the post.

The most impressive wooden ship I ever met in a fantasy novel was the  IMS Chathrand which is the secret star of the Chathrand Voyage Quartet by Robert V S Redick.
and to have a look at the fascinating post



Cabinet of Curiosities
People like to collect things and the more seldom and unknown the better. Did you know that there is a long history behind what we know as Cabinet of Curiosities.   Author Celia Rees posted an enlightening article about the Cabinet of Curiosities over at The History Girls which I recommend to read if you would like to get more information about Cabinet of Curiosities.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


I did not find a trailer I liked to share with you.
Did I mention before that I like bows and crossbows? If not you know from now on. To my surprise I found a video with instructions how to make a paper crossbow. I think I have try to make one but not before the end of summer. Paper watered with sweat is no option for that.
Now have a look:



The Taj Mahal is an impressive, famous, 380 years old building in India. Would you like to have a model at home? No problem if you like LEGO and you do not know what to do with your money. Following video shows what you will get and how it looks like when it is finished






That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

It seems unavoidable to protect nature from mankind and that means something is not as it should be .....

"Some national parks have long waiting lists for camping reservations. When you have to wait a year to sleep next to a tree, something is wrong.

George Carlin, US comedian and actor (1937 - 2008)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If my brain decides to tackle it, I'll try Three. The Black Guard definitely looks interesting though.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I read your comment over at Beauty in Ruins ...

Week by week I find interesing books. It would be great if each book would be delivered with time to read it ....

Rosalie Skinner said...

Each week after reading your blog post Edi, I find myself wanting to read more and write less. hehe. If only there were time for more of both.
The Victory... fascinating history. I didn't know there were female shipwrights. Goodness, what inspiration for a novel. Makes me want to take time out to read the books about her.
Paper crossbow. Hmm.. Some people have too much time on their hands. LOL.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

each week after spending hours for preparation of the post, I want to read more too.
Anyway to work on my weekend posts is really satisfying because I discover so many new things (Books, historical events, movies, forgotten inventions and, and, and)

Now I work on the next step - to finish and post several reviews.

Thank you for compliments.
To be honest the discovery of a female shipwright at that time was a big surprise for me.

I think both of us will never get as much time for reading as we we would like to have.
Nevertheless it will not hinder us to enjoy as many books as possible.

It is always a pleasure to read your comments.
Thank you for that.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...