Saturday, July 27, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1330

Hello and welcome to issue #1330 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Germany awaits the hottest weekend in 2013 so far.  We expect sticky 38 C° (= 102.20ºF). I know that some of you live in areas where temperature goes beyond 40 C° (= 104.00ºF).
Anyway that means if do not have an air condition at home (like me) you have to air your flat early in the morning and then close all doors and windows and the blinds in case you have some. Then slow down every any activity to a minimum.  My plan is to spend as much time as possible for reading.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB



  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
  2. A new series to discover
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Ulysses Quicksilver goes to Germany
  2. More Airships
  3. Notebooks
  4. London's Forgotten Bank
  5. The Man Who Caught The Wind
  6. My Blog has been mentioned
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Gravity

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idiomsQuotes

The Lighthouse

My reading progress suffer from the hot summer. I makes no fun when the spectacles slid from the nose because of the sweat running down the head.   


I finished

- no book



I'm
- 139 pages in The Executioner's Heart (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781160053] by George Mann
The author is an excellent story teller but the hot weather prevent me from reading more.story captivated me from the first page and let me forget the heat for a while.

- 57 pages in Gallow The Crimson Shield (July 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-0575115088; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BU1DFXW] by Nathan Hawke
Only a small progress but enough to grow my interest in Gallow the main character.

No progress

- 139 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
It is good but maybe not the right one for me at the moment.



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.


New books on my shelf/reader or when one book leads to another
In order to be informed about the world of books I follow blogs and sites and of course I receive newsletter. One of these newsletters is from Endeavour Press, on of the leading independent publisher of digital books. Each newsletter deliver information of a bunch of books from different genres. Furthermore copies are divided into three price categories: free, cheap and normal. I took the opportunity to download a copy of following novella for free:
Highwayman: Ironside (June 2013) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00D89Y10K] by Michael Arnold.
"England: 1655.

A nation reeling from the turmoil of bloody civil war. An island in the iron grip of Oliver Cromwell's Protectorate.

The forces of King Charles have been utterly defeated. The sovereign is dead, his supporters beaten, humiliated and scattered.

But it is not just former Cavaliers who find themselves hounded by the new regime. Many of those who fought for Parliament have fallen foul of the oppressive rule of the Major-Generals.

One such man is Major Samson Lyle: Roundhead, outlaw, fugitive. Forced into exile after a dispute with the ruling elite, he has returned, intent on waging war against those now in command. Skilled with pistol and blade, Lyle takes the fight onto the busy roads south of the capital, forging a formidable reputation as a notorious highwayman.

Along with his trusted young ward Bella, and Eustace Grumm, an irascible former smuggler, Lyle dodges the ever-present threat of capture to menace those against whom he has sworn revenge. But when the robbery of a powerful lawyer alerts Lyle to the imprisonment of a former comrade, the Major is plunged into a dangerous game of intrigue and deceit that may finally prove his undoing. And he must tread carefully, for Parliament have dispatched their own man to hunt the elusive outlaw.

The villainous Colonel John Maddocks is tracking Lyle's every move, and soon he will come face to face with the Ironside Highwayman." [Source]
Isn't it intriguing? I could not resist and look forward to follow Major Samson Lyle.
I checked again and you can still get a copy for free. I do not know how long the offer will be valid.

So check Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, Amazon.de if Highwayman: Ironside (June 2013) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00D89Y10K] by Michael Arnold is still available for free.

It did not take long until I found out that Michael Arnold is the author of the critical acclaimed historical series The Civil War Chronicles which consist of four novels so far. The official site delivers a lot of information about and around the books.
Traitor's Blood (first published in 2010) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-1848544048; Kindle Edition ASIN: B004JHY6JQ] by Michael Arnold
"Once seen in the heat of battle, Captain Stryker is never forgotten. A hardened veteran of the wars in the Low Countries, he has come home to England to seek revenge on the man who left him for dead and scarred him for life.

Stryker is driven by loyalty rather than conviction to serve King Charles's cause. He has no truck with aristocracy, preferring the company of a handful of trusted men, including sometime actor Lancelot Forrester and his foul-mouthed sergeant, Skellen. But when the existence of a dangerous spy at the heart of the Royalist establishment is discovered, it is Stryker whom Prince Rupert chooses to capture the man before he realises the game is up.

Lightly armed and with only a handful of men, Stryker must journey across a country riven by bitterness and beset by marauding bands of soldiers in a race against time. But unbeknown to Stryker, someone else is also closing in on his quarry, someone whom Stryker has sworn to kill: Captain Eli Makepeace, his nemesis, the man who nearly destroyed him . . ." [Source]

I like it when an authors present his book(s). So this is what Michael Arnold has to say about Traitor's Blood.





A new series to discover
There are terms who work like trigger for me when it comes to books. That happened last week when I read Victorian Era, Steampunk, Magic, Sherlock Holmes and female main character. That led me to the site of Emma Jane Holloway which shows the following subtitle
Clockwork Magic and Talking Mice

Emma Jane Holloway is an author who will debut with three books in her first series The Baskerville Affair. Meet Evelina Cooper, niece of the most famous Sherlock Holmes in an alternate Victorian London.
I read the descriptions of all three books and an excerpt of the first one .......
TRAPPED!!
There was no way out I ordered paperback copy of each book. In sum the three books deliver around 1800 pages of reading pleasure!

Now have a look at the books, read the excerpt, visit the site of Emma Jane Holloway  and decide for yourself if this is something you would like to read. Don't ask me for advice as I'm definitely prejudiced. 

The Baskerville Affair

A Study in Silk (digital, pb, September 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537188; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00C4BA48G] by Emma Jane Holloway.
"Evelina Cooper, the niece of the great Sherlock Holmes, is poised to enjoy her first Season in London Society. But there's a murderer to deal with - not to mention missing automatons, a sorcerer, and a talking mouse ...

In a Victorian era ruled by a council of ruthless steam barons, mechanical power is the real monarch and sorcery the demon enemy of the Empire. Nevertheless, the most coveted weapon is magic that can run machines - something Evelina has secretly mastered. But rather than making her fortune, her special talents could mean death or an eternity as a guest of Her Majesty's secret laboratories. What's a polite young lady to do but mind her manners and pray she's never found out?

But then there's that murder. As Sherlock Holmes's niece, Evelina should be able to find the answers, but she has a lot to learn. And the first decision she has to make is whether to trust the handsome, clever rake who makes her breath come faster, or the dashing trick rider who would dare anything for her if she would only just ask." [Source]




A Study in Darkness (digital, pb, October 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537195; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00CNQ7BCY] by Emma Jane Holloway.
"When a bomb goes off at 221B Baker Street, Evelina Cooper is thrown into her Uncle Sherlock’s world of mystery and murder. But just when she thought it was safe to return to the ballroom, old, new, and even dead enemies are clamoring for a place on her dance card.

Before Evelina’s even unpacked her gowns for a country house party, an indiscretion puts her in the power of the ruthless Gold King, who recruits her as his spy. He knows her disreputable past and exiles her to the rank alleyways of Whitechapel with orders to unmask his foe.

As danger mounts, Evelina struggles between hiding her illegal magic and succumbing to the darker aspects of her power. One path keeps her secure; the other keeps her alive. For rebellion is brewing, a sorcerer wants her soul, and no one can protect her in the hunting ground of Jack the Ripper." [Source]







A Study in Ashes (digital, pb, December 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0345537201; Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00D5BEDPE] by Emma Jane Holloway.
"As part of her devil’s bargain with the industrial steam barons, Evelina Cooper is finally enrolled in the Ladies’ College of London. However, she’s attending as the Gold King’s pet magician, in handcuffs and forbidden contact with even her closest relation, the detective Sherlock Holmes.

Not even Niccolo, the dashing pirate captain, and his sentient airship can save her. But Evelina’s problems are only part of a larger war. The Baskerville Affair is finally coming to light, and the rebels are making their move to wrest power from the barons and restore it to Queen Victoria. Missing heirs and nightmare hounds are the order of the day — or at least that’s what Dr. Watson is telling the press.

But their plans are doomed unless Evelina escapes to unite her magic with the rebels’ machines–and even then her powers aren’t what they used to be. A sorcerer has awakened a dark hunger in Evelina’s soul, and only he can keep her from endangering them all. The only problem is…he’s dead." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

More Airships
Last week I wrote about the silent kings of the air - Airships. I recommended to visit Dark Roasted Blend and to have a look at the fascinating post


Part 1 - that means there will be more posts. I checked the blog every day because I was really keen to get more of this stuff. Fortunately Dark Roasted Blend did not tantalize me for too long. One week later they came up with the following post.



 I do not know how much time I spent for watching all the pictures. I have a dream. I would like to travel around the world on board of one of these giants. I'm afraid this dream will not come true because these impressive airships do not exist any longer and there is no one like Howard Hughes to spend money for such kind of projects. You may remember his "Spruce Goose" project.

Notebooks
Due to Wikipedia Notebook  may refer to different things. In this case I refer to the good old notebook made of paper. I still use a lot of paper in different formats at home and at work. Since I read the following post over at The Happy Nerd which is the blog of author John Marco, I started to thing if it wouldn't be a good idea to use notebooks instead of all the sheets of paper. My desk would look different.



Ulysses Quicksilver goes to Germany
Most of German publisher are not interested in to publish Steampunk novels from German authors. If you are not able to read in English you have to hope and wait that books will be translated.
I'm a big fan of  the PAX BRITANNIA series by Jonathan Green. I read all the books in the series published so far. And now the time has come that the first book in the series will be translated to German! Congratulations Jonathan Green. I think it is a good decision at the right time as Steampunk gain more and more interest in Germany. For details please read following post

The cover for the German edition fits perfectly to the story.

So far no publishing date has been announced.



London's Forgotten Bank
Can you imagine London without banks? Recently I read The Last Days Of Newgate (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper one bank in London played an important role.But there are more interesting and important banks which grew especially in the 1850s.
Author Christopher Fowler shared information about the private bank C. Hoare & Co. in his post



The Man Who Caught The Wind
It sounds like the title of a book but it is the header of a post over at English Historical Fiction Authors. It seems that we sometimes forget the importance of wind. Do you know who invented a still used scale to measure the strength of wind? You have to go back in history for more than 200 years. If you would like to get more information then I recommend to read



My Blog has been mentioned
One of the blogs I follow is the Gollancz Blog, which the blog of the publisher. In #1329 of Edi's Weekend Wave  I talked about my reading progress regarding Gallow The Crimson Shield (July 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-0575115088; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BU1DFXW] by Nathan Hawke,
In case you do not remember or you are a first time visitor I post again cover and blurb.
The cover is unusual. Neither the author no the title of the book is shown. Publisher Gollancz UK "banned" title and author name to the back. Book two and three will be published in August and September.
"Nathan Hawke is the pseudonym of fantasy author Stephen Deas.

Fantasy needs a new hero. Meet Gallow - Truesword, Griefbringer and trouble for anyone who crosses him.

I have been Truesword to my friends, Griefbringer to my enemies. To most of you I am just another Northlander bastard here to take your women and drink your mead, but to those who know me, my name is Gallow. I fought for my king for seven long years. I have served lords and held my shield beside common men. I have fled in defeat and I have tasted victory and I will tell you which is sweeter. Despise me then, for I have slain more of your kin than I can count, though I remember every single face.

For my king I will travel to the end of the world. I will find the fabled Crimson Shield so that his legions may carry it to battle, and when Sword and Shield must finally clash, there you will find me. I will not make pacts with devils or bargains with demons for I do not believe in such things, and yet I will see them all around me, in men and in their deeds. Remember me then, for I will not suffer such monsters to live.

Even if they are the ones I serve." [Source]
Now I will come back to my first impression I delivered additional to my reading progress:
"In two words: Bloody and interesting"

Gollancz Blog found I worth enough to mention it in following post:

You may understand that I was happy when I read it!


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.


I was not sure what to expect when I read that Sandra Bullock and George Clooney are the main actors in the upcoming science fiction thriller Gravity.
IMDb delivered an one sentence summary of the plot:
"Astronauts attempt to return to Earth after debris crashes into their space shuttle, leaving them drifting alone in orbit."
Have a look at following three trailers. I can sum up my feelings in one word: Trepidation

Trailer one

Trailer two

Trailer three




That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I love proverbs and quotes. Without I would not share them with you. Today you get a quote about quotes. From my point of view Philip G. Hamerton has a point.

"Have you ever observed that we pay much more attention to a wise passage when it is quoted than when we read it in the original author?

Philip G. Hamerton, English author, art critic and artist (1834 – 1894), was an English artist and art critic and author. "The Intellectual Life"(1873)

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Congratulations on the mention.
Just checked - the Michael Arnold book is still free on Amazon.
I do remember the Spruce Goose. I think it flew once.
I have a feeling Gravity will be good but dark.
And 102 degrees is hot! Good thing you guys don't have humidity, because there's no shutting that out of the house.

Mulluane said...

I bow before you with humility. I live in a house that is difficult to cool in any temperature (and lots of humidity) but I do atleast have A/C. 3 of them in fact. I thought I was living rural with dialup. You my friend just put me in my place. I now consider myself fortunate beyond words.

Zoltán Gecse said...

We have the same wheather in Hungary, and we use the same methods against the hot.

Have you read the short novel of Neil Gaiman, A Study in Emerald?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Study_in_Emerald

If not and you're interested, you can download it from the author's webpage. http://www.neilgaiman.com/mediafiles/exclusive/shortstories/emerald.pdf

I have high hopes towards the gravity. It looks breathtaking!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,

fortunately the temperature dropped from Sunday to Monday. But the hea will return by Thursday.

I think you are right regarding Gravity.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

I know from weahter report that also other European countries suffer from heat.

To be honest Idid not read A Study in Emerald. Thank you for the link. Will have a look.

When I think of Gravity I get trepidation. Separated from vacuum by thin layers of fabrics....

ediFanoB said...

Hi Mulluane,

the good thing is that we do not have such kind of summer every year. It is a bit unusual. I'm sure you have to copy with such temperatures more often and therefore I'm not envious that you own an A/C.

Great to see that you are back. I liked your reviews a lot.

Gina Gao said...

I really dislike high temperatures. I find it annoying.

www.modernworld4.blogspot.com

ediFanoB said...

Hello Gina Gao,

good to read that I'm not the only one.
As we do not have weather control we have to cope with it.

Randall said...

This is cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...