Saturday, July 20, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1329

Hello and welcome to issue #1329 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Summer! The whole day sunshine and temperature of 30 C°(= 86.000ºF) and more. In principle I like summer. But my summer looks different to the summer we face in Germany. I'm longing for a light breeze combined with a temperature of maximum 20 C° (= 68.000ºF). The older I get the more I suffer from temperatures beyond 25 C°. I do not sleep well in the night because our flat is still hot from the day. Beside that my power of concentration diminish and I get really aggressive. Reading, reviewing and blogging does not make fun under such conditions.
I did my best to cope with the external conditions and put together following post for you. Please apologise mistakes in advance.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Michael Sullivan
  2. City Evolution
  3. Five Years
  4. Airships
  5. Libriomancer Giveaway
  6. Abandoned Railroad and Train Bridges
  7. Mihai interviewed Sarah Pinborough
  8. 3B Printing
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Lone Ranger
  2. Steampunk from Germany

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Weather

The Lighthouse

I do not really know how but I finished at least one book and put my nose in two new books and made a slight progress in fourth one.


I finished

- The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson.
I like the mix of medieval, magic and guns a lot. The character development of Jack Casey is strong and impressive.


I'm
- 48 pages in The Executioner's Heart (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781160053] by George Mann
The story captivated me from the first page and let me forget the heat for a while.

- 25 pages in Gallow The Crimson Shield (July 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13:  978-0575115088; Kindle Edition ASIN: B00BU1DFXW] by Nathan Hawke
In two words: Bloody and interesting

- 139 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.
It is good but maybe not the right one for me at the moment.

No progress




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

This week I received two paperback copies which I ordered recently and one unexpected paperback review copy.

Thanks to Tor/Forge.com for sending me a copy of This River Awakens (pb, US, 2013)[ISBN-13:  978-0765335005] by by
Steven Erikson who is the author of the famous ten book series The Malazan Book of the Fallen. You do not know the series? Then Just read the following post by Neth:


This River Awakens is Steven Erikson's first novel beyond fantasy. So far I'm not sure whether I want to read this book or not. Have a look at the cover and the blurb.
"In the spring of 1971, Owen Brand and his family move to the riverside town of Middlecross in a renewed attempt to escape poverty. For twelve-year-old Owen, it's the opportunity for a new life and an end to his family's isolation and he quickly falls in with a gang of three local boys and forms a strong bond with Jennifer, the rebellious daughter of a violent, alcoholic father. As summer brings release from school, two figures preside over the boys' activities: Walter Gribbs, a benign old watchman at the yacht club, and Hogdson Fisk, a vindictive farmer tormented by his past. Then the boys stumble on a body washed up on the riverbank - a discovery whose reverberations will result, as the year comes full circle, in a cataclysm that envelops them all...
Steven Erikson first novel, This River Awakens, is a lyrical, tender and disturbing portrayal of a rite of passage that is both harsh and revelatory." [Source]

Does anyone of you read and can tell me her/his impression?

Last week I told you about books by George Mann who is one of my favorite authors. And this week I received my copy of of  The Executioner's Heart (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781160053] which is the fourth book in the Newbury & Hobbes Investigations series.
 "A serial killer is loose on the streets of London, murdering apparently random members of the gentry with violent abandon. The corpses are each found with their chest cavities cracked open and their hearts removed. Charles Bainbridge, Chief Inspector of Scotland Yard, suspects an occult significance to the crimes and brings Newbury and Veronica in to investigate."[Source]

All Newbury & Hobbes Investigations fans should mark the 24th of September 2013 in their calendars because it is the publishing date of The Casebook of Newbury & Hobbes (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781167427] by George Mann


Another author I like is by Mark Hodder, the man behind the alluring Burton & Swinburne series. The Secret of Abdu El Yezdi (pb, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1616147778] which is the fourth book in the series and the first in a new story arc.
"Burton & Swinburne return in a new series!

The Beast is coming. History will be remade.

Since the assassination of Queen Victoria in 1840, a cabal of prominent men-including King George V, HRH Prince Albert, Benjamin Disraeli, and Isambard Kingdom Brunel-has received guidance from the Afterlife. The spirit of a dead mystic, Abdu El Yezdi, has helped them to steer the empire into a period of unprecedented peace and creativity. But on the eve of a groundbreaking alliance with the newly formed Greater German Confederation, scientists, surgeons, and engineers are being abducted-including Brunel!

The government, in search of answers, turns to the Afterlife, only to find that Abdu El Yezdi is now refusing to speak with the living. Enter the newly-knighted Sir Richard Francis Burton, fresh from his discovery of the source of the Nile. Appointed the king's agent, he must trace the missing luminaries and solve the mystery of Abdu El Yezdi's silence. But the Beast has been summoned.

How can the famous explorer fulfill his mission when his friends and loved ones are being picked off, one by one, by what appears to be a supernatural entity-by, perhaps, Abdu El Yezdi himself?" [Source]


The cover is awesome and the description is more than promising to me.

 



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere


Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



As you can see the story of Hadrian Blackwater and Royce Melborn continues with two books in a The Riyria Chronicles. This is your chance to explore the beginning of the story of Hadrian and Royce.
The Crown Tower (pb, 6th August, 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0356502274]
"TWO MEN WHO HATE EACH OTHER. ONE IMPOSSIBLE MISSION. A LEGEND IN THE MAKING.

A warrior with nothing to fight for is paired with a thieving assassin with nothing to lose. Together they must steal a treasure that no one can reach. The Crown Tower is the impregnable remains of the grandest fortress ever built and home to the realm’s most valuable possessions. But it isn’t gold or jewels the old wizard is after, and this prize can only be obtained by the combined talents of two remarkable men. Now if Arcadias can just keep Hadrian and Royce from killing each other, they just might succeed.

The Riyria Revelations and The Riyria Chronicles are two separate, but related series, and you can start reading with either Theft of Swords (publication order) or The Crown Tower (chronological order)." [Source]



The Rose and the Thorn (pb, September, 2013)
"TWO THIEVES WANT ANSWERS. RIYRIA IS BORN.

For more than a year Royce Melborn has tried to forget Gwen DeLancy, the woman who saved him and his partner Hadrian Blackwater from certain death. Unable to get her out of his mind, the two thieves return to Medford but receive a very different reception --- Gwen refuses to see them. The victim of abuse by a powerful noble, she suspects that Royce will ignore any danger in his desire for revenge. By turning the thieves away, Gwen hopes to once more protect them. What she doesn't realize is what the two are capable of --- but she's about to find out.

The Riyria Revelations and The Riyria Chronicles are two separate, but related series, and you can start reading with either Theft of Swords (publication order) or The Crown Tower (chronological order)." [Source]

There are several possibilities to win copies of The Crown Tower and other stuff.



Beside that you can win more free stuff. Please visit following link for details:



City Evolution
I still remember the time when I played SIMCITY on my good old NES. In case you do not know what I'm talking about I recommend to have a look at following video

It is still impressive to follow the evolution of a city and it gets even more interesting when you get the opportunity to see the evolution of a real city in 3D.  To my pleasure the people over at WebUrbanist released following amazing post:



On Monday July 15th you could read following post over at Tor.Com


"Tor.com is celebrating its fifth birthday this week and as one of the many things we’re doing to mark the occasion, we’ve assembled the entire last five years of our award-winning original fiction into one handy, and possibly physics-defying, ebook.
This ebook is free to Tor.com’s registered users to download, as a thank you for joining and contributing to our community over the years. Enjoy!
Download The Stories: Five Years of Original Fiction on Tor.com"
 So if you would like to get this ebook for free you need an account. If you do not have one it is up to you to decide if this free ebook is worth to register or not.
Maybe it will help you to decide when I tell you that this ebook contains 151 stories from different authors!!



I admire the long gone silent  kings of the air - Airships. Whenever I get the opportunity to see pictures or movies starring airships I have to watch them.So I could not resist to visit again Dark Roasted Blend when they presented following post:



On April 13th 2013 I wrote about the Magic ex Libris series by Jim C. Hines. In August 2013 DAW Books will publish the US mmpb edition of Libriomancer by Jim C. Hines [ISBN-13:  978-0756408176] and the second book Codex Born will be published soon. Author Jim C. Hines will

Taking part in the giveaway is simple. Follow the link above and leave a comment in the comment section.




I like these old wooden railroad bridges like shown in the movie The Lone Ranger. It is sad to see that a lot of them have been abandoned. But the remaining parts look still impressive and when I start to think about the people who built these bridges I express my admiration with a silent Kudos!  If you would like to see some of the bridges you should have a look at following post over at the WebUrbanist:



You know that I have a review backlog. One of the books which still need to be reviewed is Mayhem (digital 2013) [ASIN: B00BTEWYEG; HC ISBN-13: 978-1780871257] by Sarah Pinborough.

"A new killer is stalking the streets of London’s East End. Though newspapers have dubbed him ‘the Torso Killer’, this murderer’s work is overshadowed by the hysteria surrounding Jack the Ripper’s Whitechapel crimes.
The victims are women too, but their dismembered bodies, wrapped in rags and tied up with string, are pulled out of the Thames – and the heads are missing. The murderer likes to keep them.
Mayhem is a masterwork of narrative suspense: a supernatural thriller set in a shadowy, gaslit London, where monsters stalk the cobbled streets and hide in plain sight..." [Source
It has been a more than satisfying read. If you want to know more about Sarah Pinborough and her books, then I recommend to to read Mihai's interview with Sarah Pinborough over at Dark Wolf's Fantasy Reviews. Now I know that there will be a second book starring the fascinating Dr Thomas Bond.





3B Printing - what the hell is that? I do not want to solve the conundrum. If you want to know more then there is no other way as to visit

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I like actor Johnny Depp a lot. Therefore I look forward to August when The Lone Ranger will hit the cinemas in Germany. I'm aware that there have been several negative reviews but in this case I don't care.


Steampunk
Even in Germany the enthusiasm for Steampunk is growing. After a successful crowd funding campaign for the  AIRLORDS OF AIRIA movie project  the team presented a short film in order to show people what to expect. Have a look at the full short film and build up your mind:
From my point of view the team did a great job and I hope it will not take too long until the full movie will hit the cinemas.



That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes

I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Do you still use ink and paper to write letters? If you do I bow to you because I think every handwritten letter is like a gift ....

"I have no faith in human perfectability. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.

Edgar Allan Poe, US author, editor, poet (1809 - 1849)

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hodder's book sounds interesting. Quite the mix of genres.
You'll have to let us know about The Lone Ranger.
Now, off to visit Tor.

bibliotropic said...

The weather here's been pretty hot, too. Topping 30 C most days. And I don't do well in hot weather either, so more often than not, I've been happy to lie still and just read all day until it cools off enough to do other things. Certainly makes catching up on books much more appealing!

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
as always I tried to put together interesting stuff like you do.

I like the Burton & Swinburne adventures a lot because they contain a lot of things I'm interested in like time traveling, Victorian History, Steampunk,and more.

ediFanoB said...

Hello bibliotropic,
good to read that I'm not the only one who suffers from the hot weather.
Indeed you are happy to spend the day lying still and reading all the day.

As I'm not on holiday I have to go to work and we do not have an air condition in our office.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...