Saturday, June 29, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1326

Hello and welcome to issue #1326 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

With end of June we pass the half year mark of 2013.That means it will not take long that lists with half year favorites will appear. I did not decide yet if I want to post such a list or not.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. New books on my shelf/reader
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. To Reduce Waiting Time
  2. One Day Deal
  3. Editor Blows Own Trumpet
  4. The David Gemmell Legend Award
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Children Who Built Victorian Britain

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Weather

The Lighthouse

My reading progress is not as good as I would like. Anyway I'm happy that I finished  one more book and found time to continue reading my books in progress. As I wrote above, most of the time it was too hot for any activities. So my reading progress as expected.

I finished


- Queen's Adept (digital 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007ZLYBKM] by Rodolfo Martinez
I wrote on Goodreads:
The book delivered much more than I expected after reading the description.
My relationship to the main character Yaxtor Bandan is ambivalent.
The story is interesting with twists and turns.
I really hope that the sequel will be translated to English.




I'm

-  256 pages In The Last Days Of Newgate (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper

- 234 pages in  The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson.

- 123 pages in Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.

No progress



 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

A big thank you goes to  Mark Lawrence, author of the exquisite Broken Empire series, who has been so kind to send me a signed paperback copy of his upcoming book
Emperor of Thorns (pb, August 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0007439058].
"The path to the throne is broken - only the broken may walk it.

***

To reach the throne requires that a man journey. Even a path paved with good intentions can lead to hell, and my intentions were never good.

The Hundred converge for Congression to politic upon the corpse of Empire, and while they talk the Dead King makes his move, and I make mine. The world is cracked, time has run through, leaving us clutching at the end days, the future so bright that those who see it are the first to burn. These are the days that have waited for us all our lives. These are my days. I will stand before the Hundred and they will listen. I will take the throne whoever seeks to thwart me, living or dead, and if I must be the last emperor then I will make of it such an ending.

This is where the wise man turns away. This is where the holy kneel and call on God. These are the last miles, my brothers. Don't look to me to save you. Don't think I will not spend you. Run if you have the wit. Pray if you have the soul. Stand your ground if courage is yours. But don't follow me.

Follow me, and I will break your heart."[Source]


I'm not obliged to review it BUT I enjoyed  Prince of Thorns and  King of Thorns so much that it will be a pleasure to review it. I could not withstand to open the book and to read the "afterthought". It contains exactly one revelation which does not give away a bit of the story but raise the expectation: THERE WILL BE NO MORE BOOK in the Broken Empire series!
Mark Lawrence delivered good reasons for his decision.
Now I'm even more eager to read  Emperor of Thorns....
Anyway Mark Lawrence did something to reduce the waiting time until the release of Emperor of Thorns.
I will tell more about it later on.



I maintain several wish lists over at Amazon. I use them for keep track on prices for books I want to have. It is a lot easier to go through the list than to copy and paste the ISBN from another list.
From my experience the prices for digital copies change quite often.  Therefore I check my wish lists more or less regularly.
Sometimes it takes a long time until I get a copy of a specific book.
In September 2010 I read
Arorarama by Jean-Christophe Valtat (Reviewed Liviu Suciu)
and watched the following trailer



Aurorarama (first published in 2012) [ Hardcover ISBN-13:  978-1935554134; Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1612191317; Kindle Edition ASIN: B0040SY392; NOOK Edition ISBN-13: 978-1935554882] by Jean-Christophe Valtat (Twitter) is the first book in the The Mysteries of New Venice series.
"1908. New Venice--"the pearl of the Arctic"--a place of ice palaces and pneumatic tubes, of beautifully ornate carriage-sleds and elegant victorian garb, of long nights and vistas of ice.

But as the city prepares for spring, it feels more like qaartsiluni--"the time when something is about to explode in the dark." Local "poletics" are wracked by tensions with the Eskimos circling the city, with suffragette riots led by an underground music star, with drug round-ups by the secret police force known as the Gentlemen of the Night. An ominous black airship hovers over the city, and the Gentlemen are hunting for the author of a radical pamphlet calling for revolt.

Their lead suspect is Brentford Orsini, one of the city's most prominent figures. But as the Gentlemen of the Night tighten the net around him, Orsini receives a mysterious message from a long-lost love that compels him to act." [Source]
Today (June 29th 2013) I bought a Kindle copy for 2.19 EUR (2.86 USD, 1.87 GBP) over at Amazon.de!
Of course I checked Amazon.com = 2.87 USD and Amazon.co.uk = 2.67 GBP.

To be honest I do not know how long the price for the Kindle edition will be valid. So I think it is a good opportunity in case you are interested in .

The Mysteries of New Venice series continues in October 2013 with  Luminous Chaosurorarama (first published in 2012) [ Hardcover ISBN-13: 978-1612191416Kindle Edition ASIN: B007SGXEDO].
"Book two in The Mysteries of New Venice, the steampunk adventure series The Guardian called a "magnificent achievement"
It's 1907 in the icily beautiful New Venice, and the hero of the city's liberation, Brentford Orsini, has been deposed by his arch-rival -- who immediately assigns Brentford and his friends on a dangerous diplomatic mission to Paris.
So, Brentford recruits his old friend and louche counterpart, Gabriel d'Allier, underground chanteuse and suffragette Lillian Lake, and the mysterious Blankbate--former Foreign Legionnaire and leader of the Scavengers, the city's garbage collecting cult--and others, for the mission.
But their mode of transportation--the untested "transaerian psychomotive"--proves faulty and they find themselves transported back in time to Paris 1895 ... before New Venice even existed. What's more, it's a Paris experiencing an unprecedented and crushingly harsh winter.
They soon find themselves involved with some of the city's seediest, most fascinating inhabitants. But between attending soirees at Mallarmé's house, drinking absinthe with Proust, trying to wrestle secrets out of mesmerists, and making fun of the newly-constructed Eiffel Tower, they also find that Paris is a city full of intrigue, suspicion, and danger.
For example, are the anarchists they encounter who are plotting to bomb the still-under construction Sacre Coeur church also the future founders of New Venice? And why are they trying to kill them?
And, as Luminous Chaos turns into another lush adventure told in glorious prose rich in historical allusion, there's the biggest question of them all: How will they ever get home?" [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Let me come back author Mark Lawrence for the second time in this post. He takes care on his readers. In order to bridge the time gap until the release date of Emperor of Thorns in August 2013, he wrote the short story Sleeping Beauty featuring Jorg Ancrath ... AND ... you can get it for free in PDF format!!



The following information is of interest for all people who can order books over at Amazon.com and who like fantasy.
On Saturday 29th June you can get a KINDLE copy of


for 2.99 USD.
"Royce Melborn, a skilled thief, and his mercenary partner, Hadrian Blackwater, make a profitable living carrying out dangerous assignments for conspiring nobles-until they are hired to pilfer a famed sword. What appears to be just a simple job finds them framed for the murder of the king and trapped in a conspiracy that uncovers a plot far greater than the mere overthrow of a tiny kingdom. Can a self-serving thief and an idealistic swordsman survive long enough to unravel the first part of an ancient mystery that has toppled kings and destroyed empires in order to keep a secret too terrible for the world to know? And so begins the first tale of treachery and adventure, sword fighting and magic, myth and legend."
 Theft of Swords by by Michael J. Sullivan contains the first two books of the  Riyria Revelations series.




Mark Lord , editor of Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History The new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History , author and friend of the blog wrote a post with following header

Hell has its Demons – Editor Blows Own Trumpet

 over at Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History The new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History

It is about his new book Hell has its Demons (digital, 2013) [Kindle Edition ASIN:  B00DO30OGA], which is the first in the Demon Hunter trilogy. I have had the pleasure to read it before the publishing date and I liked it.

"What if the demons portrayed in the Middle Ages were real and could be conjured by necromancers?

And what if those seeking power decided to use demons to get what they wanted? In Hell has its Demons a plot unfolds to use demons to take the ultimate prize of all – the crown of Edward III, King of England.

Investigating an infestation of demons in the town of St Brett’s is the last thing that Jake Savage wants to do this summer. But for his master, the controversial Oxford scholar Roger Sotil, it is a chance to prove that demons can be conjured and avoid charges of heresy.

In St Brett’s Roger sees demons possessing the townspeople. Jake thinks they are just acting very strangely. The people are scared and want answers fast. A beautiful woman, Isabel Haukwake, is accused of witchcraft. Roger feels sure that she isn’t guilty. Jake knows she isn’t. He was once engaged to marry her, until his father took her from him." [Source]

Get your Hell has its Demons FREE KINDLE COPY  until end of Saturday here:
Amazon.com | Amazon.co.uk | Amazon.de and their other stores



Let me com back to author for the third time in this post. There is an award and it is the one award which Mark Lawrence would like to win. Read his post from June 28th where he explain in detail why he would like to win
So go and vote in the following three categories. The first round ends on 31st July 2013.
- The Legend Award is the highlight of the nights events at our Award Ceremony where the winner of the book voted best release of the year is presented with a unique, scale model of Snaga (the legendary axe of Druss the Legend) from Raven Armoury. The blades of the axe are laser-etched with the winner's name & novel.
- The Morningstar Award is to celebrate the newcomers to the fantasy genre, whose first book published in English will fight it out amongst the other young bloods to be crowned the fans undisputed New Blood Fantasy Champion
- The Ravenheart Award is to celebrate the hard working artists of the fantasy genre, whose covers tantalise and enchant readers. The award is open for any Fantasy book published in English in the year of nomination with the winner being crowned 'Ravenheart Fantasy Artist of the Year' for their work. With so many hours of hard work put into the book jackets that help make a title so special we felt that the artists deserve to be recognised.


I voted for CAMERON, Miles - The Red Knight - Gollancz in the category The Morningstar Award.
Follow THIS LINK to place your The Morningstar Award vote. In order to vote mark your choice and scroll down the list until you find the vote button. Click the button to send your vote.




I voted for STONE, Steve - Orb, Sceptre, Throne - Bantam Press & Tor in the category The Ravenheart Award.
Follow THIS LINK to place your Ravenheart Award vote. In order to vote mark your choice and scroll down the list until you find the vote button. Click the button to send your vote.



Follow THIS LINK to place your The Legend Award vote. In order to vote mark your choice and scroll down the list until you find the vote button. Click the button to send your vote.
I voted for ???? in the category The Legend Award.
When you read the whole post, I'm sure you will know who got my vote. It is no secret and therefore I write it down in big and bold letters:
I VOTED FOR

I will keep you informed about The David Gemmell Legend Awards.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Instead of a movie trailer I would like to share with you information about the life of children in Victorian England.
"The catalyst to Britain's Industrial Revolution was the slave labour of orphans and destitute children. In this shocking and moving account of their exploitation and eventual emancipation, Professor Jane Humphries uses the actual words of these child workers (recorded in diaries, interviews and letters) to let them tell their own story. She also uses groundbreaking animation to bring to life a world where 12-year-olds went to war at Trafalgar and six-year-olds worked the fields as human scarecrows." [Source]
The Children Who Built Victorian Britain Part 1

The Children Who Built Victorian Britain Part2

The Children Who Built Victorian Britain Part 3

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

When I listened to people at public places in the past weeks I got the impression there is nothing more important as the weather ....which I can understand very well because it is holiday season in Germany.

"Don't knock the weather. If it didn't change once in a while, nine out of ten people couldn't start a conversation.

Kin Hubbard (1868 - 1930)

6 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

June 29 - that's today!
Aurorarama sounds very steampunk. You'll have to let us know when you read it.

bibliotropic said...

Thanks for directing me to "Hell has its Demons." It sounds interesting, and even better as a freebie!

Also, that sounds like a very fascinating documentary, and I suspect I'm going to enjoy watching it.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I'm sorry for short notice.
Of course I will talk about Aurorarama.

ediFanoB said...

Hi bibliotropic,
thank you for stopping by.
It is always good to read when a post is helpful.

There is no hurry to watch the documentary. Now you know where you can find it which gives you the freedom to watch it when it is convenient for you.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Great post... I must go and vote for the David Gemmel awards. Some great titles there.

The year is speeding away.
We are looking forward to spring. :) Over winter and the cold/flu season.

At least it does give us time to read.

Must go and download Sleeping Beauty. What a bonus.

ediFanoB said...

Dear Rosalie,

sometimes I hate blogger. I wrote a comment and while attempting to publish the comment an unexpected error occurred.

So I have to write my comment again. This time I used a text program on my PC.

It will be interesting to see which book gets enough votes to enter the second round.

From my point of view the perception of time change a lot from childhood to silver surfer age.

As a child a year was a really long period of time for me. Nowadays a year is no more longer a year.
Therefore we should enjoy every day as much as we can.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...