Saturday, June 15, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1324

Hello and welcome to issue #1324 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
It seems that I talk again and again about reviews but nothing happens.
Indeed it is true that I did not post a  single review in 2013. Not that good for book blog. But I'm very happy to announce that the time without reviews is over. Come back tomorrow and read my first review in 2013!



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Real books
  2. Digital copies
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Finally it is available
  2. The Lady vanishes
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The Hobbit:The Desolation of Smaug
  2. Elysium

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Dead music

The Lighthouse

At least I read some pages. I still try to remember how I managed to read 70 pages per day in 2013. Anyway I'm happy about every page I read.

I finished
- The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (digital 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007FU2IKI] by D L Mackenzie
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"After the blurb and the praises I expected a kind of steampunk story which is not set in London.
This is the first novelette in a series. The 64 pages could not convince me to continue the series. The main character Phineas J. Magnetron had solved problems without difficulty. Beside that the pace was slow and the story did not intrigue me."



I'm

-  181 pages In The Last Days Of Newgate (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper

- 166 pages in  The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson.

- 32 pages in Queen's Adept (digital 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007ZLYBKM] by Rodolfo Martinez
This seems to be a really interesting mix and there are airships ....
For more information go to the book section of the post.

No progress

- Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

A week without a new digital or paperback copy is nearly unthinkable for me. Last week I bought one digital copy and one paperback copy. Furthermore I got the first novelette of a series in digital format for free and received four novellas in digital format as a gift.

Let me start with the real book.
I was in the search of Victorian baking recipes when I came across the name of Mrs Beeton.
"Isabella Mary Mayson (March 12, 1836 – January 1865), universally known as Mrs Beeton, was the author of Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management and is the most famous cookery writer in British history.
[...]
Published in 1861, Mrs Beeton’s Book of Household Management was a guide to all aspects of running a household in Victorian Britain." [Source]

Of course I checked if the book is still available. Fortunately it has been reprinted many times. But not all reprints  deliver the full text. Therefore I was happy when I found the edition published by Wordsworth Editions. And yes, I bought a copy because it is an amazing source about daily life in a Victorian household.
Mrs Beeton's Household Management (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-1840222685] by Isabella Beeton.
"A classic of domestic literature, Isabella Beeton's Book of Household Management is both an entertaining curiosity and an important social document, providing an invaluable insight into the day-to-day workings of a Victorian household. Encyclopaedic in its range, the book contains 2,751 entries covering (besides its countless recipes) advice on childbirth, fashion, home remedies, animal husbandry and the management of servants, and even dealing with the sensitive subjects of violence, cruelty, illness and death, and contentious issues still current, such as factory farming.
Born in 1836, the eldest of twenty-one children, Isabella's upbringing was far from conventional and she was never the stately matron of our imaginings. She was already a working journalist when at the age of twenty-one she began to write her epic work in the form of magazine supplements; these were published in the famous single volume of 1861. When she died at only twenty-eight her book had already met with phenomenal success and to this day it remains legendary the world over." [Source: Back of the book]

32 pages in Queen's Adept (digital 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007ZLYBKM] by Rodolfo Martinez is  - especially the English version  - a result of the digital world. The original title of the book is El adepto de la reina.
"The People's Covenant and God's Hammer have raged a Cold War that has lasted for over twenty years. A war without armies, where battles are fought in the dark and information is the most dangerous weapon.
In this world --which sometimes seems the Middle Ages, sometimes the Renaissance and sometimes the Nineteenth Century-- lives Yáxtor Brandan, empirical adept at the service of the Queen of Alboné. A relentless, amoral and unscrupulous character, Yáxtor fights to recover his own past as he tries to prevent a new player in the espionage game to end the world, as he knows it." [Source]


The Appendices are impressive: Maps, glossary, chronology and more!

I recommend to read the interview with a lot of information about the history of the book and about sff in Spain.

Monday Original Content: Interview with Spanish author  Rodolfo Martinez.


I got a digital copy of - The Last Adventure of Dr. Yngve Hogalum (digital 2012) [Amazon Kindle ASIN: B007FU2IKI] by D L Mackenzie for free. This is the first novelette in The Magnetron Chronicles.
"In this first novelette of the series The Magnetron Chronicles, we are introduced to Phineas J. Magnetron, an eccentric Nineteenth Century inventor blessed with a strange gift he doesn't completely understand. As a former soldier and current member of the Hogalum Society, an inscrutable secret organization of crime fighting adventurers, Phineas is no stranger to peril and derring-do. But when the Society founder dies, Phineas embarks on a daring and improbable caper to bring the good doctor's greatest dream to fruition posthumously. In the process, he not only horrifies his Society brothers, but unearths a haunting and compelling mystery." [Source]







Author Peter Lukes has been so kind to send my copies of following four novellas published by Musa Publishing. I must say I'm interesting in all of them.



Transpecial (April 2013) [available formats] by Jennifer R. Povey ,
"Humanity fired first
First Contact. With aliens so strange and predatory that humans could only react with revulsion and primal rage. And so, humanity fired first. Now, the ky'iin are raiding the solar system. The potential key to mankind's salvation? An unlikely pair of diplomats. One, a brilliant young linguist from Mars with a profound social disorder. Through her autism, she sees the beauty within the ky’iin. The other, a ky’iin negotiator who looks beyond humanity’s violent actions to the potential within. Can they serve as the bridge to unite the two species and stop the Contact War? Or will war-mongering saboteurs destroy them before they can act." [Source]

Word Count: 79,000,
ISBN: 978-1-61937-525-3
Cover Artist: Kelly Shorten, Editor: Estela Kennen



The Ugly Tin Orrery (May 2013) [available formats] by Rachael Acks
"Captain Ramos never thought a cheap child's toy would be the gateway to murder and a mystery that holds countless lives in the balance...
The citizens of the duchies in North America rely upon travel by air and rail. Unfortunately for them, pirates stalk both land and sky. Captain Marta Ramos is infamous as the scourge of the Rocky Mountains, but mysteries have a terrible habit of falling into her lap, and she just can't seem to let them alone. During a robbery of a freight train bound for the Grand Duchy of Salt Lake City, Captain Ramos picks up a tin orrery that is ugly, cheap, and plainly a toy. But when she learns its former owner has been murdered, her curiosity is piqued. The trail leads her on a chase across duchies and into dangerous political waters. When her own crew is put in danger, all for the sake of a poorly made child's toy, Captain Ramos must unravel the true purpose of the ugly tin orrery before it's too late for them all." [Source]

Word Count: 17,983, ISBN: 978-1-61937-546-8
 Cover Artist: Kelly Shorten,  Editor: Tricia Schwaab


Immaterial Evidence (May 2013) [available formats] by Milo James Fowler
"A detective with a price on his head...An invisible criminal with nothing to lose.
 
The vault door never opened. The bank went into lockdown in less than a minute. Yet the security footage was unmistakable: a hundred silver bars had simply vanished.
Ever since the city’s most dangerous crime boss put a price on his head, private investigator Charlie Madison has lived as an exile in Little Tokyo. But now an old friend and police sergeant has lured Madison back into the city to hunt down an invisible criminal—if he can.
As Madison makes his clandestine return, high-profile people start disappearing. And when federal agents swoop onto the scene to take matters into their own hands, they offer Madison a deal he can't refuse—as long as he agrees to work with them. With Japanese freedom fighters and refurbished killing machines threatening to take the world to the brink of nuclear holocaust, the United World government needs all the help it can get.
Embroiled in an unimaginable mystery, one private eye must rely on his wits to solve a case where the evidence is immaterial, and the odds are stacked high against him at every turn." [Source]

Word Count: 27,000, ISBN: 978-1-61937-608-3
Cover Artist: Kelly Shorten Editor: Estela Kennen


Black School(May 2013)[available formats] by Richard C. White

 "The only thing more dangerous than a snow maiden is being in love with a snow maiden.

Talk about your rock and hard place.

It all changed in a flash. One minute I'm a pretty happy-go-lucky rogue with a snow maiden as a companion. The next thing I know I'm meeting her family and being sized up for husband material . . . or a coffin if I don't live up to expectations. Given the way her relatives are looking at me, I'm thinking most of them are hoping for the latter. Still, they need my skills to rescue one of Yuki's cousins from a mess he's in. Apparently this school for wizards they enrolled him in is the best in the Empire. Turns out there's a small catch. One member of each graduating class has to be sacrificed to the demon that rules the school and the faculty think Yuki's cousin fits the bill perfectly. So, all I have to do is sneak in to this school, spirit out the young man without being detected and bring him back to a camp full of people who'd rather run a sword through me or freeze me solid for having the gall to date Yuki.Pack of blood-thirsty snow spirits behind me? Check. School full of powerful wizards in front of me. Check.
Seems my usual run of luck has arrived right on time." [Source]

Word Count: 9,700, ISBN: 978-1-61937-448-5
Cover Artist: Kelly Shorten, Editor: Jessica Robinson




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...


Buy The Daedalus Incident on Kindle NOW!

This is the header of a post over at Michael J. Martinez's site. I can understand the joy of the author because the original publisher of the book - Night Shade Books - went down. I know the book well because I belong to the people who received a digital review copy.
And I'm happy that you can read my review of The Daedalus Incident  (digital 2013)
[Amazon Kindle ASIN: B00B0SBF8W] by Michael J. Martinez on Sunday, June 16, 2013.




You want to know who is the lady? Then you have to follow the link above. I can assure you that the lady is neither Lady Di nor the Lady in Black.

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

Originally I wanted to post several videos related to the Victorian Era. But when I found the following two trailers I changed my plan.

I know you see the trailer of The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (December 7, 2013). I hope you understand that I could resist to post it. So Legolas will be back and Smaug will be in action. I can't wait to see the full movie.




"In the year 2154, two classes of people exist: the very wealthy, who live on a pristine man-made space station called Elysium, and the rest, who live on an overpopulated, ruined planet. The people of Earth are desperate to escape the crime and poverty that is now rampant throughout the land. The only man with the chance to bring equality to these worlds is Max (Matt Damon), an ordinary guy in desperate need to get to Elysium. With his life hanging in the balance, he reluctantly takes on a dangerous mission – one that pits him against Elysium's Secretary Delacourt (Jodie Foster) and her hard-line forces – but if he succeeds, he could save not only his own life, but millions of people on Earth as well." [Source

This is the story of Elysium (August 9, 2013) an upcoming science fiction action film directed by Neill Blomkamp, starring Jodie Foster and Matt Damon. I think the trailer gives a good impression of what to expect. Have a look ...

That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Music is still important to me. I listen to music  while sweating in the gym, surfing in the WWW, and more. But I never listen to music while I read a book because when I read I imagine all the noises within the story ....

"Phonograph, n. An irritating toy that restores life to dead noises.

Ambrose Bierce, The Devil's Dictionary, US author & satirist (1842 - 1914)

6 comments:

Zoltán Gecse said...

After watching the first Hobbit movie, I want to see the sequels of it at once. It has a great unique atmosphere, which I cannot explain. I love it, which is quite the opposite I feel towards J.R.R. Tolkien's book.

This is the year of sci-fi movie fans. The Elysium could be great, it looks a real vision-orgy, but I have a feeling we just get the tip of an iceberg. The whole picture will be more depressive (like the District-9) and less action oriented. I wish I was wrong!

Unfortunately my reading progress slowed down. Partly because of the extra load of work, partly beacuse of my second son and partly because of a new voluntary translating of episodes of a tv-series.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yes, this is a great year for fans of science fiction movies! And fantasy. The Hobbit trailer is awesome, especially the ending.
I have Milo's book an look forward to reading it.

Rosalie Skinner said...

The Hobbit looks good. Sad we have to wait so long between episodes. The book doesn't take that long to read. hehe.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,
indeed the Hobbit films look quite different compared to the book.
Peter Jackson did an awesome job.

Time will tell how good or bad Elysium will be. I want to see it anyway.

So I'm not alon with a slowed down reading progress. But we both know that children grow fast and there is more to enjoy than only books.
It seems more and more people I know suffer from extra work load.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Rosalie,
indeed it does not take long to read The Hobbit. Peter Jackson did a great job and I agree with yout that it is sad to wait sooo long for part two and three.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
I hope we will see more of Smaug within the film.
I hope to read Milo's book soon.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...