Saturday, June 01, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1322

Hello and welcome to issue #1322 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

With today's post I'm back in the world of blogs. Holiday has been great and my wife and I have been lucky regarding the weather. Whereas it was raining in the most parts of Germany, we stayed in the only area with sunshine!! I feel refreshed and hope to deliver reviews in near future.



ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress 
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Digital, paperback, hardcover
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The Road to success
  2. Historical fiction and language
  3. The meaning behind
  4.  Alt Hist Issue 5
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Ghosts in Victorian era

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Something true

The Lighthouse

I'm totally happy with my reading progress in the past three weeks. I know it will not continue in this way but it will definitely different compared to the time before my holiday. In sum I read six books - five in English and one in German!


I finished

- The Forever Knight (hc, US, 2nd of April 2013)[ISBN-13:  978-0756407513] by John Marco.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" I gave up reading the first book in the Bronze Knight Trilogy.
Author John Marco has been so kind to send me a signed review copy because he wanted to know if I would like it more than the trilogy.
What shall I say? The Forever Knight surprised me totally. I'm impressed by what John Marco within the 282 pages.
It is a dark and grim fantasy novel with a lot of depths and a great depiction of the main character.
I read it during my holiday and now I work on a full review."


- Mayhem (digital 2013) [ASIN: B00BTEWYEG; HC ISBN-13: 978-1780871257] by Sarah Pinborough.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" Mayhem in London 1888 and it is not Jack the Ripper!!

That was such a satisfying read for me who loves Victorian London and murder mysteries.
Sarah Pinborough did such a great job and developed images which did not get out of my mind for days!!
As the title promise it is bloody, it is dark, it is mysterious and you should turn away your face from the book when you breathe in order to avoid the massive scent of opium ....

The story is based on real persons and real murder.
I absolutely look forward to read the next book starring Dr. Thomas Bond."


- Bronze Gods (pb, April 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0425258194] by A A Aguirre.
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" After 50 pages I was not sure if I should continue or not. I was not really happy with the two main characters.
Fortunately I continued reading and after 100 pages I started to like the characters. I liked the mix of magic and steampunk."


- Cold Fire (pb, 2011) [ISBN13: 978-0316080996] by  Kate Elliott
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" As stated in several reviews I read, the story starts slow but rich with descriptions. But that turns after around 100 pages.
I can't remember when I read a 580 page book in such a short time.
I liked a lot that the reader does not know more than the main character Catherine Hassi Barahal and that the whole story is told from her point of view.
I can't wait to read the remaining two books of the trilogy."


- The Janus Affair (pb and Kindle, May 29, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062049780] by  Pip Ballantine and Tee Morris
I wrote on GOODREADS:
" An excellent steampunk novel with loveable and developing characters.
I can't wait to read the next book starring Eliza Braun and Wellington Books."


- Die zerbrochene Puppe (pb and Kindle, May 29, 2011) [ISBN-13:  978-3867621564] by Judith und Christian Vogt
This was an interesting steampunk novel written by a German author couple. The story did not take place in London. Furthermore I met mad scientists and airship pirates and I watched riots.
Good stuff!!
This is the cover



I'm

-  54 pages In The Last Days Of Newgate (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper


- 141 pages in The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson.



No progress

 -  Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

In the past three weeks I received in sum three books - one digital copy, one paperback and one hardcover.

Let me start with the hardcover.
Thanks to Tor/Forge.com for sending me a copy of The Human Division (hc, US, 2013)[ISBN-13:  978-0765333513] by John Scalzi. This book marks the author's return to his Old Man's War universe. So far I did not read a book belonging to the series.
The whole story has been released first in a series of 13 e-serial episodes. The hardcover contains all episodes plus additional material.
It seems to be possible to read the novel without knowing the previous four books. Normally I do not like to enter a series with the latest book. I need to think about it.
"Following the events of The Last Colony, John Scalzi tells the story of the fight to maintain the unity of the human race.
The people of Earth now know that the human Colonial Union has kept them ignorant of the dangerous universe around them. For generations the CU had defended humanity against hostile aliens, deliberately keeping Earth an ignorant backwater and a source of military recruits. Now the CU’s secrets are known to all. Other alien races have come on the scene and formed a new alliance—an alliance against the Colonial Union. And they’ve invited the people of Earth to join them. For a shaken and betrayed Earth, the choice isn't obvious or easy.
Against such possibilities, managing the survival of the Colonial Union won’t be easy, either. It will take diplomatic finesse, political cunning…and a brilliant “B Team,” centered on the resourceful Lieutenant Harry Wilson, that can be deployed to deal with the unpredictable and unexpected things the universe throws at you when you’re struggling to preserve the unity of the human race.
Being published online from January to April 2013 as a three-month digital serial, The Human Division will appear as a full-length novel of the Old Man’s War universe, plus—for the first time in print—the first tale of Lieutenant Harry Wilson, and a coda that wasn’t part of the digital serialization."[Source]

In 2011 I enjoyed reading Hellhole ( 2010) [ISBN-13: 978-1847374264] by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert. Now I received the second book in the series in paperback format:
Hellhole Awakening (pb 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1847394323] by Kevin J Anderson and Brian Herbert.
"General Adolphus knows the Monarchy crackdown is coming. Now he needs to pull together all the resources of the Hellhole colony, the ever-expanding shadow-Xayan settlement, and his connections with the other Deep Zone worlds. On Sonjeera, Diadem Michella Duchenet has collected a huge fleet, led by firebrand Commissar Escobar Hallholme, son of the man who originally defeated Adolphus. Uniting themselves and pooling their minds, the shadow-Xayans send a power surge along the original stringline path that links Hellhole with the Monarchy's hub on Sonjeera. All of the Diadem's battleships are currently approaching on that route, and when the mental blast wipes out all the substations, the battleships are effectively stranded.
But now a bigger threat appears. Three large asteroids come in from the outer reaches of the Candela system. On Hellhole, the awakened Xayans finally reveal information that has been hidden even from their own followers. A large group of powerful, rogue telemancers split away from the main race-fanatics, violent, and ruthless. And now that the Xayan civilization is reawakening, the rogues have come back to destroy them once and for all. They are coming for Hellhole, and this time they will completely destroy it." [Source]


I discovered the digital copy while I was checking the Amazon top 100 free books.

Shattered Clues (digital April 2013) [ASIN: B00CLC2K7G] by Mel Hodgkinson fits perfectly to the books I read recently. It is a detective story sent in England 1868.
"Autumn 1868, England.
Inspector Drewes is called to the scene of an unidentifiable body. The corpse of a 35-year-old man has been found in Henshawe Street.
The motive? Unknown.
Returning from the scene of the murder Drewes anticipates a quiet evening in the company of his friend the police surgeon and his brother. He finds one of them brutally slain.
 As family, friendship and death become intertwined, Drewes finds himself caught up in deadly plot. Amid personal betrayal and fractured relationships he can trust no one. And when the diligent Inspector finds the shocking truth it is more deadly than he could ever have imagined.

'Shattered Clues' is a brilliant re-imagining of the classic Victorian detective story that will captivate readers from the first page to the last." [Source]



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

Let's have a look back in time. Do you have any idea how people described the so called road to success one hundred years ago?
I must say I have been surprised when I followed THIS LINK.


Did you ever think about the use of specific words when you read historical fiction? I do not mean any inventions like x-ray to be used in a story about medieval time.
Let me give you an example:
The word "cheerio" has been invented in 1910. That means when you write a historical novel set in the Victorian era it would be a faux pas to use it.
If you would like to know more then I recommend to have a look at
over at English Historical Fiction Authors.


I think everyone who read a book knows the short praises by other authors on the cover jacket.  Now Author Damien G. Walter revealed the secret meaning of often used phrases in his post
What critics really mean when they say ...


One of the blogs I follow is
Alt Hist: Historical Fiction and Alternate History The new magazine of Historical Fiction and Alternate History

A few days ago editor Mark Lord delivered a post with following header:

Alt Hist Issue 5 now published!

Let me give you some more arguments to follow the link above

"Alt Hist Issue 5 features stories covering a variety of historical periods from the 1800s to post-War USA.
This issue includes five new original works of fiction including stories about Al Capone and Italian Futurism, the aftermath of the American Civil War, the real Frankenstein, the Bridge that consumes the souls of men, and the latest instalment in a series of stories about a successful Nazi invasion of Britain."



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I did find  an interesting movie trailer. The never ending rain and gray sky inspired me to show you the following video without any further comments from my side ......


 
That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

On upcoming Monday I return to work after holiday and the following quotes seems to fit well ....
"How much easier it is to be critical than to be correct.

Benjamin Disraeli, British politician (1804 - 1881), speech, January 24, 1860

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'll have to check out the site about what critics really mean.
The Human Division sounds good.
And welcome back!! I've missed the Weekend Wave.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Good to see your reading progress!

And I'm happy you had a great holiday.

ediFanoB said...

Thank you Alex!

After two weeks without I missed my Weekend Wave too.
But it was high time to recharge battery.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,

I think you can imagine what it means to have time for reading without being disturbed.

Now I'm back with a recharged battery and it seems the weather turns to the better. Today (Tuesday) we have the second day with sunshine.

Good requirements to start to work on the review backlog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...