Saturday, May 11, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1319


Hello and welcome to issue #1319 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

Tomorrow (May 12th) my wife and I will go on holiday for two weeks. It is high time to recharge my battery and based on the experience of the last two years I know a stay in Bansin on Usedom is the best option. Just me and my wife decoupled from the rest of the world.
That means there will be no Weekend Wave on 18th and 25th of May.
I tried to prepare  two alternate posts but it did not work.

Therefore I take a hiatus from 12th to 26th of May. This is the first time I do that and I hope you will understand.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress 
  2. Embarras de richesse
  3. Surprise
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Digital and paperback
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. Future past
  2. 2013 Edgar Award
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Star Trek: Into Darkness

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms 19th century

The Lighthouse

One more message about my abysmal reading progress. I stopped counting pages because it is too frustrating. At least I finished one more book. So far I  read 12 books in 2013.  The good thing is that I enjoyed 11 of them.


I finished

- The Tattered Banner (digital ARC, 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1481013222] by Duncan Hamilton 
I wrote on GOODREADS:
"Well done Mr. Hamilton.
There is more behind the story than one first think.
Excellent characters and twist and turns. Good choice of the ending which is not the expected big cliffhanger.
I look forward to read the next book in the series."



I'm

- 113 pages in Mayhem (digital 2013) [ASIN: B00BTEWYEG; HC ISBN-13: 978-1780871257] by Sarah Pinborough.
"A new killer is stalking the streets of London’s East End. Though newspapers have dubbed him ‘the Torso Killer’, this murderer’s work is overshadowed by the hysteria surrounding Jack the Ripper’s Whitechapel crimes.
The victims are women too, but their dismembered bodies, wrapped in rags and tied up with string, are pulled out of the Thames – and the heads are missing. The murderer likes to keep them.
Mayhem is a masterwork of narrative suspense: a supernatural thriller set in a shadowy, gaslit London, where monsters stalk the cobbled streets and hide in plain sight..." [Source

 I bought a copy based on the review over at The Speculative Scotsman.  I could not withstand and started to read. I just wanted to get a first impression. Instead I got mesmerised and could not stop until I fell asleep. After 113 pages I can tell you it is an excellent story. It is dark, gripping, intense and you should avoid to read it if you can't cope with gore.
The story is based on real events (The Thames Torso Murders of 1887 - 1889) and persons (Dr Thomas Bond).


Embarras de richesse
That sounds aristocratic. But it hits the bull's eye when it comes to the choice of books for holiday. My wife is quite pragmatic. She takes two books with her and that 's it. I can't do that. Even I know I can not finish more than two books I want to have several books to choose from.
I mean real books despite the reader.

First of all I hope to finish the following two books which are in progress for a longer time:
- The Forever Knight (hc, US, 2nd of April 2013)[ISBN-13:  978-0756407513] by John Marco.
Tomorrow the Killing (pb ARC, 2013) by Daniel Polansky.

My eyes get wet when I look at the books which surround me. It took hours to decide how many books and which books should slip into my backpack. In 2011 I left for holiday with ten books. This time I dropped to in sum seven books. Beside the two books mentioned above I decided to go for:

I'm neither in the mood for epic fantasy nor for science fiction.
This is a message for author and friend of the blog Alex J. Cavanaugh.:
I will read CassaStorM (September 17th, 2013) [Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] 
[E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019] read when I'm back.



I started with around 25 books and ended up with the following five ones. I must say in the end the choice is not that unexpected for me because it reflects my current taste.


In 2010 I reviewed The Last Days Of Newgate (pb, 2006) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper which is the first book in the Pyke Mystery series. In the meantime I bought copies of the so far published books. When it comes to series I like I'm a hunter and gatherer.
I finished my review with:
"I look forward to read the next Pyke Mystery - The Revenge of Captain Paine (pb, 2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] - which is sitting on my shelf. For detailed information about all books of the Pyke Mystery series click here."
And now the time has come for  The Revenge of Captain Paine (pb, 2007) [ISBN-13: 978-0753821688] by Andrew Pepper.
"It is 1834, and with the birth of the Industrial Revolution, railway fever sweeps the country. Pyke is uneasy with the luxury his aristocratic marriage has brought him, and when he is asked to unofficially investigate a decapitation in Cambridgeshire, he can not resist the chance to resuscitate the old skills he learned on the streets. But with the industrial world, comes a new and faceless enemy: men who have money and power, and who will stop at nothing in their pursuit of both. For Pyke, with his young wife and child and an elevated place in society to protect, the stakes have suddenly become alarmingly high. From the sweat shops of the east end to the palace of the Queen-in-waiting; from the elegant drawing rooms of the newly rich, to the blood-spattered backrooms of London's taverns, Pyke's investigation stirs up a hornets' nest of trouble. As the death toll rises, his wife becomes involved with the radicals' fight against the industrialists, and an alluring woman from his past returns to threaten the life he has made for them both, Pyke must adapt to the ever-changing world around him and draw on all of his resources if he is to protect his family, and survive." [Source]


- The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson.
"In Land of Hope and Glory, Geoffrey Wilson created a world where the Indian Mutiny takes place in a very different England, while magic is a weapon controlled by her foreign oppressors.
Now, the rebellion of 1852 has failed and brutal General Vadula governs England. Only a few small bands of English rebels still hold out against the Rajthanan empire.
Jack Casey, reluctant hero of the resistance, has survived to live with his daughter in the remote wilds of Shropshire, training young rebels to use the conqueror's magic. But he is gravely ill, with only two months to live ...
Then rebel spies bring news of a rogue Indian sorcerer in Scotland. Mahajan has discovered a mysterious power in the uncharted country to the north - a power that could be the legendary Holy Grail. The Rajthanans have already assembled an army to search for Mahajan. Jack has nothing to lose now. He agrees to lead his own men, disguised as porters for the conquerors, on the same gruelling march.
They hope to find a weapon that will free England from her oppressors. But they discover something that is beyond what any of them ever expected." [Source]
 I want to know how the story continues after the excellent Land of Hope and Glory. I have a dozen other books where i could add the same statement. But I'm in the mood for magic and gunpowder.


"..... an Afro-Celtic post-Roman icepunk Regency fantasy adventure with airships, Phoenician spies, the intelligent descendents of troodons, and a dash of steampunk whose gas lamps can be easily doused by the touch of a powerful cold mage." [Source]
I feel like the book described with the words by the author herself was waiting for me until my holiday. I bought a copy of Cold Magic (pb, 2010) [ISBN13: 978-0316080873] by Kate Elliott in June 2012!  I read several reviews (1, 2, 3) and I'm glad that all reviewers gave a hint to the slow start of the story. So I will be patient and forget my 50 page rule for this book. You should know that is th first book in the Spiritwalker Series. I own a copy of Cold Fire (pb, 2011) [ISBN13: 978-0316080996] which is the second book and I ordered a copy of the next book - Cold Steel (pb, December 2013) [ISBN13: 978-1841498867] in advance.


"It is the dawn of a new age... The Industrial Revolution has begun, factories are springing up across the country, and new technologies are transforming in the cities. But the old ways do not die easy.

 “I was not a bard or a djeli or an historian or a scribe and I was certainly not a sage, but that didn't mean I wasn't curious…” 

Young Cat Barahal thinks she understands the world she lives in and her place in it, but in fact she is merely poised, unaware, on the brink of shattering events. Drawn into a labyrinth of politics involving blood, betrayal and old feuds, she will be forced to make an unexpected and perilous journey in order to discover the truth, not just about her own family but about an ancient secret lying at the heart of her world.
Cat and her cousin Bee are part of this revolution. Young women at college, learning of the science that will shape their future and ignorant of the magics that rule their families. But all of that will change when the Cold Mages come for Cat. New dangers lurk around every corner and hidden threats menace her every move. If blood can't be trusted, who can you trust? From one of the genre's finest writers comes a bold new epic fantasy in which science and magic are locked in a deadly struggle." [Source]



No travel without a steampunk novel. This time I decided to take two steampunk novels with me. Both belong to series and both deliver a pair of main characters.  Furthermore both books are written by teams.


The following book is the first in a new series:
- Bronze Gods (pb, April 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0425258194] by A A Aguirre.

"Hy Breasil is grimmer than it used to be.
Before the Architect closed the door, there were regular crossings, and a great war decimated both humans and Ferishers. The native fae who refused to treat with the invaders faded; their bodies withered and died, stranding them as hungry, angry spirits that haunt the countryside.
That means there’s always trouble brewing in Dorstaad. Janus Mikani and Celeste Ritsuko work for the Criminal Investigation Department, keeping citizens safe from things that go bump in the night. He’s a hardboiled cynic with an uncanny sixth sense; she’s determined to justify her promotion as the first female detective in her division. Together, they’re trying to keep a black tide from drowning the city.
But when the second body surfaces, murdered with the same type of infernal device, the entire CID must face the truth. There’s a madman on the loose, twining magic and blood… and only Mikani and Ritsuko can unravel the intricate, lethal conspiracy before the Royale killer completes his macabre plan, unleashing old, forbidden magic on an unsuspecting populace. If the maniac succeeds, it could mean the end of everything…" [Source]
The following book  is the second The Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences novel.
 The Janus Affair (pb and Kindle, May 29, 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0062049780] which

"Evildoers beware! Retribution is at hand, thanks to Britain's best-kept secret agents!!
Certainly no strangers to peculiar occurrences, agents Wellington Books and Eliza Braun are nonetheless stunned to observe a fellow passenger aboard Britain's latest hypersteam train suddenly vanish in a dazzling bolt of lightning. They soon discover this is not the only such disappearance . . . with each case going inexplicably unexamined by the Crown.
The fate of England is once again in the hands of an ingenious archivist paired with a beautiful, fearless lady of adventure. And though their foe be fiendishly clever, so then is Mr. Books . . . and Miss Braun still has a number of useful and unusual devices hidden beneath her petticoats." [Source]
Beside the two novels there is a growing list of short stories - so far a dozen is available - set in the world of The Ministry Of Peculiar Occurrences - which cover persons and events from ministry archive.
For detailed information please visit the short story department of the ministry.

Is there a better way to close a list than with a video?





Surprise
As I told you my wife and I enjoyed a steampunk festival in northern Germany. Today I would like to show you the result of my first steps into sewing.

The pair of trousers, the waistcoat and the hat have been sewed by me. Based on the fact that I started sewing in November 2012 I'm happy with the result. The hat is made of buckram and two layers of fabric. Since I sewed the hat I have a new friend: a circular needle.
I took pictures of the process and as soon as I have them combined with text I will post it.


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I bought a digital copy of Mayhem (digital 2013) [ASIN: B00BTEWYEG; HC ISBN-13: 978-1780871257] by Sarah Pinborough.
Despite that I received copies of two real paperbacks.

The first one is Bronze Gods (pb, April 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0425258194] by A A Aguirre which I mentioned above.

The second one is The Havoc Machine (pb, April 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-0451417046] by Steven Harper which is the fourth book in the Clockwork Empire series. So far I read the first book.
"In a world riddled with the destruction of men and machines alike, Thaddeus Sharpe takes to the streets of St. Petersburg, geared toward the hunt of his life....
Thaddeus Sharpe's life is dedicated to the hunting and killing of clockworkers. When a mysterious young woman named Sofiya Ekk approaches him with a proposition from a powerful employer, he cannot refuse. A man who calls himself Mr. Griffin seeks Thad's help with mad clockwork scientist Lord Havoc, who has molded a dangerous machine. Mr. Griffin cares little if the evil Lord lives or dies; all he desires is Havoc's invention.
Upon Thad's arrival at Havoc's laboratory, he is met with a chilling discovery. Havoc is not only concealing his precious machine; he has been using a young child by the name of Nikolai for cruel experiments. Locked into a clockwork web of intrigue, Thad must decipher the dangerous truth surrounding Nikolai and the chaos contraption before havoc reigns...." [Source]


No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...



What will people think about us in a hundred years time? We will never know. I do not expect to reach an age of 154 years ..... But we can have a look in the past. And sometimes we discover that the future of the past turned into reality today. I would like to invite you to have a look at

This is another entertaining and informative post by the crew of the WebUrbanist.


On April 13th I told you that I bought a digital copy of The Last Policeman (audio, pb, digital, 2012) by Ben H. Winters.
"What’s the point in solving murders if we’re all going to die soon, anyway?
Detective Hank Palace has faced this question ever since asteroid 2011GV1 hovered into view. There’s no chance left. No hope. Just six precious months until impact.
The Last Policeman presents a fascinating portrait of a pre-apocalyptic United States. The economy spirals downward while crops rot in the fields. Churches and synagogues are packed. People all over the world are walking off the job—but not Hank Palace. He’s investigating a death by hanging in a city that sees a dozen suicides every week—except this one feels suspicious, and Palace is the only cop who cares.
The first in a trilogy, The Last Policeman offers a mystery set on the brink of an apocalypse. As Palace’s investigation plays out under the shadow of 2011GV1, we’re confronted by hard questions way beyond “whodunit.” What basis does civilization rest upon? What is life worth? What would any of us do, what would we really do, if our days were numbered?" [Source]
 This book won the 2013 Edgar® Award for Best Paperback Original as I could read over at Fantasy Book Review. It seems this book also impressed other people. As stated in the review over at Fantasy Book Review 
 "....... The Last Policeman differs from [...] other works in that it focuses entirely on the effects to human behaviour before the comet hits, before the terrible event that will create a world unfit for human habitation."

Maybe I will have a look during my holiday .... I wish I could read more.....

That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I know the movie hit the cinemas a few days ago. Nevertheless I show the trailer again BECAUSE my wife and I watched Star Trek Into Darkness last Thursday in 2D. Even in 2D it was an excellent movie. You do not need to be a Trekkie to enjoy the film. Awesome action, good story and tough actors made it worthwhile to watch. We hope there will be a third Star Trek movie by J.J. Abrams. So far Star Trek Into Darkness is the best movie I have seen in 2013. And to my pleasure a part of the film takes place in my favorite town: London.

 
That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

I have a foible for the 19th century. But I prefer to live nowadays. How long do we have to wait until we can travel in time .....

"There is nothing like dream to create the future. Utopia to-day, flesh and blood tomorrow.

Victor Hugo, French dramatist, novelist, & poet (1802 - 1885), Les Miserables, 1862

8 comments:

Bryce L. said...

Impressive sowing! Hope you had fun at the event too, sounds like a great time. Thanks for sharing.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi, What a great choice of books you have this week.
Cool sewing. Love the hat. Wow...
Have a great holiday. Read lots...but relax and recharge those batteries too!

bibliotropic said...

Enjoy your holiday! Sometimes there's nothing like a relaxing step away from regular life to recharge a person's batteries. :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Edi, that is impressive! You look sharp. If I tried to sew something it would end in disaster. I can't even mend socks.
Thanks for taking my book with you on holiday.
Enjoy your two weeks - you deserve it!!

Zoltán Gecse said...

Great sewing! You can hide many books or a rabbit under that that. ;)

Enjoy your holiday!

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
I had a week's holiday and only read two books. How did you go?
It was a great relaxing time though, caught up with lots of people, did fun things... just not a lot of reading. :)
Hope your holidays have been wonderful.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Bryce, Rosalie, bibliotropic, Alex and Zoltán,

a big thank you to all of you for your kind words.
Holiday has been great!

I hope to deliver some reviews soon.

Verona said...

This is cool!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...