Saturday, April 27, 2013

Hello and welcome to issue #1317 of Edi's Weekend Wave.
Despite my fatigue and all the stress I finished a book! Thatwas at least something I enjoyed last week. Next weekend I will be not at home. My wife and I bought tickets for a steampunk festival in northern Germany.  But I will prepare something in advance for next Saturday.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB

  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Keep a promise
  2. A book for you?
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. A German steampunk serial
  2. Want to be a test reader?
  3. Underwater
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. The JockStrap Raiders

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Confession

The Lighthouse

It is unbelievable but true. Despite my fatigue I found time for reading. finished a book and tried a new German steampunk serial. This is still far beyond my reading progress in 2012. But under the current conditions 372 pages are really satisfying. After a long time I read something in German ....


I finished

- The Daedalus Incident by Michael J. Martinez.
This blend of fantasy and science fiction enriched with historical elements is a good debut and which I finished with the impression that there is a lot of potential for future books set in the same world(s).
As agreed with author Michael J. Martinez I will post my full review after my holiday which means end of May.

- Die Steampunk-Saga Episode 1: Tinker-Kate und die Geheime Bruderschaft (digital, 2013) [ ISBN-13: 978-3954466108] by Steve Hogan


- Die Steampunk-Saga Episode 2: Der Silberne Dolch (digital, 2013) [ ISBN-13: 978-3954466115] by Steve Hogan


I will tell more about this series later.


I'm

- 212 pages in The Tattered Banner (digital ARC, 2013) [Paperback ISBN-13: 978-1481013222] by Duncan Hamilton 
Following Soren's development. It is entertaining, smooth read. How can a story be fascinating but not gripping at the same time?.




 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week I neither received a review copy nor I bought a book. Instead I promised an author to share word about his book and I ordered a copy of a book in advance.

Author D.E.M Emryss asked people for support by sharing word about his digital book It Began With Ashes (digital, 2012) [ Kindle Asin: B00ACLW7TO].  I have had a look at the cover and read the description.

"The cost?

War.

Wroge was divided by the Saive War. The Arneuton kingdom enslaved the Keltir clans into their invasion, and swept across the territory, converting and conscripting the weak, culling the strong. Five Years of war, the blood of four races, millions of deaths. The Arneut conquered. The Keltir were released from their imprisonment, but the Vikir and Narz were forever banished from Wroge's borders.

Draven fought for peace. He fought another man's war and paid for his freedom in blood. But even peace comes with its price. Taxes to another man's king. Draven's fight might have ended with the Saive War, but the struggle to afford safety for his family is far from over.

When the Vikir threaten Wroge's northern border they come with a debt of their own. And it's not taxes they're after. They come because of the Keltir's betrayal in the Saive War. They come from blood.

But Wroge's fate won't be decided by ageing warriors and old grudges. The lives of four young men, divided by peace, united by conflict, will shape the future of the war torn land.

'It Began With Ashes' is the story of how life's greatest struggle is to accept who you are - a tale of broken promises, bitter grudges, and brotherhoods bound in blood." [Source]

I confess I did not read the book. But I found the description convincing enough to share information with you. With 170 pages it is short compared to the books I read normally. Over at Amazon you can have a look inside the book and read the prologue and the first two chapters.



Sometimes it happen to me that I see a cover, read the description and immediately order a copy. It happened to my last week with this book:

"Captain Jim Wedderburn has looks, style and courage by the bucketful. He’s adored by women, respected by men and feared by his enemies. He’s the man to find out who has twisted London into this strange new world, and he knows it.
But in Dream London the city changes a little every night and the people change a little every day. the towers are growing taller, the parks have hidden themselves away and the streets form themselves into strange new patterns. there are people sailing in from new lands down the river, new criminals emerging in the east end and a path spiralling down to another world.

Everyone is changing, no one is who they seem to be." [Source]
Cover and description belong to Dream London (pb, October 2013) [ISBN-13: 978-1781081747] by Tony Ballantyne.
The cover is amazing and I'm sure I have not discovered all the details so far. For me the cover and the blurb fit together very well.
I'm not sure how many books I will read in 2013. But I know that Dream London will definitely belong to my must read in 2013 list.



No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I repeat it again and again that I like steampunk. So I read with great surprise that German publisher Cora who is well known for romance novels will publish a digital steampunk serial in nine parts.
The first part -  Die Steampunk-Saga Episode 1: Tinker-Kate und die Geheime Bruderschaft (digital, 2013) [ ISBN-13: 978-3954466108] by Steve Hogan - is available for free. Within minutes I fed my reader with a copy and read the 39 pages. The story is sent in an alternate Victorian London in 1851. There are atuomatons, dirigibles and steam driven air taxis. The main character is Kate who is the pilot of such a taxi. The depiction of London itself and of the atmosphere is not bad. Dead bodies have been found without a drip of blood ...
Yes, there are vampires and there is a secret brotherhood. And there is a mysterious and good looking stranger which arouse the interest of Kate.
All in all it was not bad as a first part of a serial.
I decided to buy and read the second part: Die Steampunk-Saga Episode 2: Der Silberne Dolch (digital, 2013) [ ISBN-13: 978-3954466115] by Steve Hogan.
I finished the 37 pages in around forty minutes and switched off my read in disappointment. I will not continue to read the remaining seven parts. The love story between Kate and the stranger dominated the second part. The Vampires stand for some goose flesh moments and the steampunk delivers the background.
In the end that means that the publisher delivers what he is known for: romance novels with different backgrounds.


 Would you like to read an old fashioned high fantasy novel, complete with royalty and magic and the end of the world  long before the publishing date?
Then I found the right place for you. Just click on the following link in order to visit the blog of author Joseph Robert Lewis for details:


I visit Dark Roasted Blend on a regular base. The blog is always good for excellent and inspiring posts including pictures. Go and have a look at

While reading the text and watching the pictures three book covers popped up in my mind. All these books are on my very long to read list and I own a copy of one of the books.


First published in 2011 Sea of Ghosts by Alan Campbell which is the first book in the The Gravedigger Chronicles series, is nowadays available in different formats. Unfortunately I could not find any information about when the series will be continued.
In case anyone of you know more about the sequel please let me know.
"When the last of the Gravediggers, an elite imperial infiltration unit, are disbanded and hunted down by the emperor they once served, munitions expert Colonel Thomas Granger takes refuge in the unlikeliest of places. He becomes a jailer in Ethugra - a prison city of poison-flooded streets and gaols in which a million enemies of the empire are held captive. But when Granger takes possession of two new prisoners, he realises that he can't escape his past so readily. Ianthe is a young girl with an extraordinary psychic talent.
A gift that makes her unique in a world held to ransom by the powerful Haurstaf - the sisterhood of telepaths who are all that stand between the Empire and the threat of the Unmer, the powerful civilization of entropic sorcerers and dragon-mounted warriors. In this war-torn land, she promises to make Granger an extremely wealthy man, if he can only keep her safe from harm. This is what Granger is best at. But when other factions learn about Ianthe's unique ability, even Granger's skills of warfare are tested to their limits. While, Ianthe struggles to control the powers that are growing in ways no-one thought were possible. Another threat is surfacing: out there, beyond the bitter seas, an old and familiar enemy is rising - one who, if not stopped, will drown the world and all of humanity with it..." [Source]

The next cover looks like the "steampunked" version of an atmospheric diving suit. It belongs to Dead of Veridon (mmpb, 2011)[ISBN-13: 978-0765322043] by Tim Akers and it is the second book in the  Burn Cycle series.
 "Trouble finds Jacob Burn. Kicked out of his house, out of his comfortable life, out of everything that is familiar, even turned away from his circle of criminal friends and interesting enemies. Two years after he saved an ungrateful city from a mad angel, thwarting the plans of every powerful faction in Veridon, Jacob is still trying to pull his life together. And still trouble finds him. 
A bad job goes worse, and soon old enemies present themselves as allies, and former friends set themselves against Jacob as he tries to put the dead to rest and the living to justice. Everything gets more difficult when he's appointed by the Council to investigate the rise of the cog-dead, while some hold him personally accountable, and others in the city work to use the chaos to their advantage." [Source]

This is the third and last cover and belongs to Captain Nemo (first published in 2002, re-released in 2011) [ISBN-13: 978-0857683427] by Kevin J.Anderson.


"Captain Nemo is the fictional life story of one of Jules Verne's most memorable characters from 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea and The Mysterious Island. It covers his boyhood friendship with the dreamer, Jules Verne, adventures aboard sailing ships, battles with pirates, and survival on a mysterious deserted island. Each time he returns home to his beloved France, Captain Nemo shares the tales of his exploits with the struggling writer Verne.
We follow Nemo's exploration of hidden caverns that lead to the center of the earth, travels across darkest Africa in a hydrogen balloon, and his imprisonment by an evil Ottoman caliph who commands the dark genius to construct a sub-marine boat, the Nautilus, in order to attack merchant ships that venture through the newly completed Suez Canal." [Source]
I'm pretty sure that there are more fantasy book covers which show atmospheric diving suits.


That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I did not find a trailer I would like to share with you. Instead I present you a CGI short movie peppered with action and humor. Enjoy The JockStrap Raiders" by Mark Nelson. It is not necessary to tell you anything about the story because it is completely self-explanatory.



 
That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

Any book addict will understand the following words ......


"When I step into this library, I cannot understand why I ever step out of it.

Marie de Sevigne, O Magazine, December 2003

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The animation was really good in that short!
Dream London reminds me of the movie Dark City. Ever see it?

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
A steampunk festival. Goodness, sounds like fun.
Love the steampunk diving suits.
Must share them with my son.
Another great post. Full of information to keep me browsing. :)

Zoltán Gecse said...

Good to see a bigger reading progress. I hope it will helps to endure the mentioned stress.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...