Saturday, April 20, 2013

Edi's Weekend Wave issue #1316

Hello and welcome to issue #1316 of Edi's Weekend Wave.

This is a busy weekend for me. I attend a sewing course together with my wife. I still love to read books but I feel the need to do something different with my hands beside hitting the keyboard and turning pages. When the time is ripe I will show you the result which is definitely connect to one of my reading preferences: Steampunk.
I need to come back to  Australian author Rosalie Skinner and her excellent fantasy series Chronicles of Caleath. There two books left until the completion of the series. Book seven -  Adrift: In Seach of Memory - is "knocking" on the door. Rosalie Skinner has been so kind to post a sneak preview of the book.


ENJOY READING ....

Edi's Guidepost

The Lighthouse
News and information straight from the horse's mouth by Lighthouse keeper ediFanoB


  1. Reading progress
Books
The latest report from our shelf shop net correspondent Bona
  1. Awaited digital copy
  2. Unexpected delivery of real book
  3. CassaStorM news
Blogosphere
Messages from the depths of the blogosphere by spheronaut Bona Fide
  1. The impact of Nightshade Books going down
  2. A new fantay series
Movies
Remote control junkie Fide and his zapping highlights
  1. Into Darkness

Quotes
The member of the house of quotes and a quote himself the Keeper of the minutes ( we call him Kotm) fished for you
  1. German proverbs, sayings and idioms Television

The Lighthouse

I will talk again about my reading progress when there will be a significant progress. Don't ask me how I feel with the situation. I think it does not make sense to repeat a  no progress  comment. I really look forward to May 2013 where I definitely will have more time for reading.


I finished

- no book


 Enjoy your weekend ....



Books

Dear readers, I'm the one to tell you about books - only books? What about novellas and other stuff? My name is Bona. I scour shelves, shops and the net for books. If you call me a book whore I would not gainsay you. But be aware I have my own, sometimes elusive taste.

Last week we faced a post strike in our region. I do not know if this is the reason for delayed deliveries. I know from my experience that book deliveries from USA can last ages due to customs. Nevertheless I received copies of books, digital copies.
Surprise, surprise! After coming home for the sewing course I found a delivery in our post box. And yes, I received a real book!

End of March 2013 I posted about Promise of Blood (hc and digital, April 2013) [ISBN-13:  978-0356501994; Amazon Kindle ASIN: B009SS9614 ] by Brian McClellan which is the first book in the Powder Mage Trilogy. A lot of promising reviews popped up and the author did a blog tour where he posted about different aspects of writing and the book. If you are interested in details I recommend to visit the official website where Brian McClellan put together all the links.
As I really like the cover of the book I post it again together with the description.

"The Age of Kings is dead . . . and I have killed it.
It's a bloody business overthrowing a king... Field Marshal Tamas' coup against his king sent corrupt aristocrats to the guillotine and brought bread to the starving. But it also provoked war with the Nine Nations, internal attacks by royalist fanatics, and the greedy to scramble for money and power by Tamas's supposed allies: the Church, workers unions, and mercenary forces. It's up to a few...
Stretched to his limit, Tamas is relying heavily on his few remaining powder mages, including the embittered Taniel, a brilliant marksman who also happens to be his estranged son, and Adamat, a retired police inspector whose loyalty is being tested by blackmail.
But when gods are involved... Now, as attacks batter them from within and without, the credulous are whispering about omens of death and destruction. Just old peasant legends about the gods waking to walk the earth. No modern educated man believes that sort of thing. But they should..." [Source]

Last week I posted about The Place of Dead Kings (pb, March 2013)[ISBN-13: 978-1444721157] by Geoffrey Wilson which is the first book in the The Land of Hope and Glory series. Do you remember the cover? Do you remember the first three words on the cover? No? Here it is again:

The first three words on the cover are .......

Gunpowder and magic!

Does this ring a bell?
It seems that Promise of Blood and The Place of Dead Kings have something in common:

Powder and Magic


So it will be interesting to read how both authors cope with powder and magic in their books.

I know more about what Geoffrey Wilson did because I read the first book in his series.

Anyway I really look forward to read The Place of Dead Kings and Promise of Blood within in my holiday in May.
Fortunately there will be more books by  Brian McClellan (the title of the next book is The Crimson Campaign; expected publishing date: February 2014) and Geoffrey Wilson (no title and publishing date for the third book yet)

It will be interesting to see if there will be more books in future with the combination of powder and magic.


History  is an amazing topic and to read historical fiction is splendid amusement including the delivery of historical facts. In 1565 the siege of Malta took place. It was a bloody and brutal event. Since today I own two books which tell the story of the siege from different point of views.

In 2011 I bought a copy of Clash of Empires: The Great Siege (pb, 2012] [ISBN-13: 978-1409102830] by William Napier.
"1565: a small island in the middle of the Mediterranean stands gatekeeper between East and West. It is about to become the scene for one of the most amazing stories of bravery, battle and bloodlust: the siege of Malta. Formed in the Holy Land in the 11th century, a small band of knights had long sought a home. Driven from their lands by Ottoman might, they came to rest in Malta from where they watched the Turks and corsairs raid the Spanish empire. As word came from Constantinople that Malta was in the sights of the Ottoman Empire, all of Europe watched as a force of over 30,000 men besieged the island - itself only peopled by only 500 knights and a few thousand local soldiers. On that small rock an epic struggle will be played out - the story of individual men, warriors and slaves, but also the story of two worlds colliding." [Source]



Today I received a copy of  Sword & Scimitar (first pb, 2013] [ISBN-13: 978-1472201904] by Simon Scarrow.
"1565, Malta: a vital outpost between the divided nations of Europe and the relentlessly expanding Ottoman Empire. Faced with ferocious attack by a vast Turkish fleet, the knights of the Order of St John fear annihilation. Amongst those called to assist is disgraced veteran Sir Thomas Barrett. Loyalty and instinct compel him to put the Order above all other concerns, yet his allegiance is divided. At Queen Elizabeth's command, he must search for a hidden scroll, guarded by the knights, that threatens her reign.
As Sir Thomas confronts the past that cost him his honour and a secret that has long lain buried, a vast enemy army arrives to lay siege to the island..." [Source]

I think it would be an interesting project to read the two books, review them and then write of their approach to the siege. It is a shame. I'm full of interesting ideas and I do not know how to let them come true.

CassaStorM News
Last week I posted about (September 17th, 2013)  [Print ISBN-13: 978-1939844002] [E-book ISBN-13: 978-1939844019] by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Yesterday (Friday) he revealed the story about how the following song became the theme song for CassaStorM. You can read the full story here.




No more today, see you next week ......



Blogosphere

Hey, I'm Bona Fide. I just came back from my last foray through the blogosphere. What can you expect from me? I tell you: Everything from Art to Fart as long as there is any faint connection to books. And here is some honey from the beehive blogosphere...

I told you about the going down of publisher Night Shade Books. One of my current reads is The Daedalus Incident by Michael J. Martinez. I promised to review the book around publishing date beginning of May 2013. The publisher of the book is Night Shade Books. Within last week I received a mail from author Michael J. Martinez. He asked me if it would be possible to postpone the review and I told him that I will do that.

If you want to get more detailed information I recommend to read following post by Michael J. Martinez  over at his blog.


Recently I read following text on a blog:

“In the contested and unexplored territories at the edge of the Empire, a boat is making its laborious way upstream. Riding along the banks are the mercenaries hired to protect it – from raiders, bandits and, most of all, the stretchers, elf-like natives who kill any intruders into their territory. The mercenaries know this is dangerous, deadly work. But it is what they do.
In the boat the drunk governor of the territories and his sons and daughters make merry. They believe that their status makes them untouchable. They are wrong. And with them is a mysterious, beautiful young woman, who is the key to peace between warring nations and survival for the Empire. When a callow mercenary saves the life of the Governor on an ill-fated hunting party, the two groups are thrown together.
For Fisk and Shoe – two tough, honourable mercenaries surrounded by corruption, who know they can always and only rely on each other – their young companion appears to be playing with fire. The nobles have the power, and crossing them is always risky. And although love is a wonderful thing, sometimes the best decision is to walk away. Because no matter how untouchable or deadly you may be, the stretchers have other plans.” [Source]

It did not take long to find out that this is the description. brand new fantasy series The Incorruptibles by John Hornor Jacobs which had been sold to Gollancz.  The release date for the first book in the series is planned for Spring 2014.
I visited the author's site and to my surprise there is  a map available on the blog.
The description aroused my interest and I added the series to my 2014 discovery list.



That's it for today. Come back next week for more ......


Movies
Hey, it's me Fide. I'm a remote control professional. I'm that fast that I can watch two movies at the same time.

But don't worry. All the stuff I present to you will be shown at normal speed.

I like actor Benedict Cumberbatch and I like Star Trek. These are two good reasons to show you the lastest trailer of the upcoming movie Star Trek Into Darkness.

 
That's all for today. See you next time....


Quotes
I 'm the Keeper of the minutes. But I don't mind when you call me Kotm. No, no. I don't explain to you how to pronounce.

How does your desk look like? Is the surface visible? My desk is mostly covered with books and papers ......


"Television is the first truly democratic culture - the first culture available to everybody and entirely governed by what the people want. The most terrifying thing is what people do want.

Clive Barnes

8 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's a real shame about Night Shades and the authors it will affect.
Thanks for mentioning the 'soundtrack.' That music really does set the tone for the book, like a mounting storm.
Sorry about the postal strike. Our post office will cut out Saturday delivery this August because they area losing so much money.

Zoltán Gecse said...

Many say the new Star Trek movie is not Star Trek, but it seams to me it'll be a great action sci-fi movie. So, I have high expectations!

The Land of Hope and Glory was a great book with interesting story, but I don't see when I have time to the sequels of it. My "have to read" list is too long...

Have you ordered many things from USA? And have you ever have to pay custom from the things you ordered? If I want to anything from abroad I order from EU country... or China. I fear the custom adds +30% to the price.
Plus I have to fear Hungarian post will lost the package. Unfortunatelly it was happened at the past... :(

Roland D. Yeomans said...

THE AGE OF KINGS IS DEAD ... AND I HAVE KILLED IT. The Blood of Kings sounds like an intriguing book!

And STAR TREK will have me first in line, for the story seems excellent.

Rosalie Skinner said...

Hi Edi,
I hope all authors involved with Night Shades find homes for their books. Good to hear that Daedalus seems to have found a home.
Music helps create atmosphere for a book/movie. Good choice Alex.
Postal strike? I hope it is sorted soon. At least you have some real books to take on holidays.
Another Star Trek Movie... something to look forward to.
Thanks for mentioning my glimpse into Adrift. :)

ediFanoB said...

Hi Alex,
please apologize the delay in my answer.
Sorry about the cut out of your local post office.
Even it is no good news, I like receive such information because it shows that we face similar problems in the countries we live.

ediFanoB said...

Hi Zoltán,
please apologize the delay in my answer.
I know that the hardcore Star Trek fans do not agree with the movie. But I think the movie looks like a Stra Treck movie should look like nowadays. To be honest these fans also critisized most of the previous Star Trek movies too.
Like you I think this will be a most entertaining sci-fi movie. Hopefully it will reach the expectations.
Gecse said...

We should avoid to talk about our "have to read" list ;-) There are so many interesting books and so little time for reading. Anyway I like to read and talk about new books. Sometimes this change my reading order a lot. I think the most important thing is still to enjoy reading.

My wife and I ordered some steampunk clothing from USA last year and we had to pay custom. We will not do it again and like you we search shops in Europe. China is a possibility in some cases.

I also lost packages from Uk and USA. Fortunately it does not happen very often.

ediFanoB said...

Hello Roland D. Yeomans,
thank you for stopping by. Please apologize the delay in my answer.
I hope PROMIS OF BLOOD will be as good as described in the reviews I read.

I hope the 3D effects of the Star Trek movie will be better than in the 3D movies I saw in the past years.
said...

ediFanoB said...

Hi Rosalie,
please apologize the delay in my answer.
You knwo I like your books and that is one of the reasons why I talk about your books.
I really appreciate that we have digital books because it makes a lot easier when it comes to review copies. The postal charges are incredible when you want to send a real book from USA or Australia to Germany and vice versa. But there are still novels which I want to have in form of a real book.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...